Thinking of selling 1 contract - verify no loss of perks?

magickingdomprincess

DIS Veteran
I have two small contracts, a resale contract purchased in 2009, and a direct add-on in 2011 (same contract number except add on is .1 if that matters). I'm considering selling one of these to help offset purchasing a resale purchase I'm considering. But, before doing so I want to verify that I won't be losing any of my member privileges/perks. From reading it seems like the restrictions didn't go into effect until 2016, so I am grand-fathered in no matter which contract I keep, is that correct? Am I missing any restrictions from earlier that would affect me? Thanks!"

There was a resale restriction from March (??) 2011. That restriction grandfathered everyone who bought resale prior to that date. Thus, you should be fine with all the DVC perks if you sell either contract.

I think it restricted post March (? I’m not sure of the exact date and month) 2011 resale point from exchanging points for the cruises or concierge collection.

I have two small contracts, a resale contract purchased in 2009, and a direct add-on in 2011 (same contract number except add on is .1 if that matters). I'm considering selling one of these to help offset purchasing a resale purchase I'm considering. But, before doing so I want to verify that I won't be losing any of my member privileges/perks. From reading it seems like the restrictions didn't go into effect until 2016, so I am grand-fathered in no matter which contract I keep, is that correct? Am I missing any restrictions from earlier that would affect me? Thanks!"
The only thing you'll lose with the plan and dates above, is the ability to use a portion of your points or DCL, Concierge & Disney collection. They could make changes in the future that would generate a different answer, esp if they ever started a VIP program.

From the DVC Resource Center - PURCHASE DIRECT FROM DISNEY OR RESALE?

March 21, 2011 Restrictions for Resale Purchases

Beginning on March 21, 2011, DVC made some changes to the way purchasers were treated after becoming members by purchasing a contract via the resale market. Those purchasing since March, 2011 were still DVC members and received all perks and benefits as all other members. However, they were not allowed to use their points for the Disney, Concierge and Adventure Collection travel options which included using DVC Points for non-DVC options like a Disney Cruise, staying at non-DVC Disney resorts.

Resale members could still use the World Passport Collection to exchange to other timeshare resorts and still had full access to all DVC Resorts based on availability.

Many members did not regard this as a loss at all as they still had access to DVC Resorts (which was the reason most purchase in the first place) and also access to all benefits afforded to DVC Members (Theme Park admission discounts, dining discounts, shopping discounts, special Member events, etc.)

All of these benefits are incidental to DVC membership and may be modified or removed at any time. They are not guaranteed in any way and over the years have been changed or removed many times. They are used as a marketing tool by Disney Vacation Development (DVD) the developer and sales arm of the DVC program and they also pay for these ‘extra’ programs – they are not part of DVC Member Maintenance Fees.

These incidental benefits were still included with resale purchases after March, 2011.

April 4, 2016 Restrictions on Resale Purchases

On April 4, 2016, DVC made the following announcement:

“Effective April 4, 2016, Members who do not purchase their ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Club will not have access to other Membership Extras, such as exclusive Member experiences and discounts.”

This now means that those purchasing a DVC contract except directly through Disney will not have access to any Member Perks or ‘Extras’. Those members are still DVC Members and will be able to use their DVC points at their Home Resort and at other DVC Resorts but will not have the ability to receive any Member discounts or ‘Extra’ programs.

The announcement went on to reassure all current Members with the following:

“Please know that as a current Disney Vacation Club Member (regardless of when or where you bought your membership), your access to Disney Differences and these additional Membership Extras will not be affected by this policy change.”

Thanks for the responses! So I should be fine either way. Really the March 2011 restrictions wouldn't affect me anyways, but the 2016 ones would so I need to keep at least one (which I want to anyways).

You are only 'grandfathered' in for the number of points you have prior to the change. Any new resale points will be restricted, and not usable for DVC hotels, cruises...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter