Thinking of upgrading from the DDP ->DxDP, thoughts?

MarkinNM

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!
Lots of great thoughts and perspectives from you all so here it goes.....This is a couple only trip, no kids as we are now empty nesters, so this trip is more about the food then the rides. I had the restaurants I wanted to eat at and added up the credits, we are staying 7 nights so that is 7 table service meals PP. The current reservations I have come out to 17 PP, so that is 10 more then the plan gives. I planned on taking extra money to cover those along with $500 or so gift cards, this does not include and extra spending money. My question is IF I upgrade to the DxDP it will give us plenty to cover what we have but leave 4 extra table service credits. Cost is $571 more for the DxDP, so I know it sort of balances out in a way, what would you all do, thoughts, suggestions?

If you have that many extra meals planned I would just bump up my plan to Deluxe. I would however revisit how many restaurants you planned for the trip. You are staying 7 nights, so does that mean you have 17 meals planned or 17 credits planned? If I was planning on the DxDDP, I would plan two meals per day, with one of them on some days being a signature meal. You get appetizers on this plan, so the amount of food is increased exponentially, meaning that by the end of the trip you will be really filled up!

You are there for 8 days, you have plenty of nice meals throughout the trip.

If you trip is centered around meals I would definitely look at the deluxe plan. I would get a signature meal every day though as three meals is just too much. My only "complaint" with the deluxe plan is that you spend a ton of time in the restaurants. That is only a small issue for us though as our kids are with us. There are so many cool dining experiences as Disney so if you can fit the upgrade into your budget I would do so and enjoy all of the great food.

If you have that many extra meals planned I would just bump up my plan to Deluxe. I would however revisit how many restaurants you planned for the trip. You are staying 7 nights, so does that mean you have 17 meals planned or 17 credits planned? If I was planning on the DxDDP, I would plan two meals per day, with one of them on some days being a signature meal. You get appetizers on this plan, so the amount of food is increased exponentially, meaning that by the end of the trip you will be really filled up!

You are there for 8 days, you have plenty of nice meals throughout the trip.

The meals I currently have planned equal to 17 credits on the DDP, this will mean 10 OOP so far, I know things can change between now and then but I was pondering having the meals covered before we even set foot in Disney, sticker shock but then we are here for the fun and FOOD, my wife is def a foodie, if you met her you would never know. But she does enjoy her food and wine.....

If you trip is centered around meals I would definitely look at the deluxe plan. I would get a signature meal every day though as three meals is just too much. My only "complaint" with the deluxe plan is that you spend a ton of time in the restaurants. That is only a small issue for us though as our kids are with us. There are so many cool dining experiences as Disney so if you can fit the upgrade into your budget I would do so and enjoy all of the great food.

Yea this trip is just the 2 of us, NO KIDS! YEA........So the rides per say are an added benefit AROUND the food, spending 2 hours in a cooled restaurant is good by us! The extra $$ is not an issue as with just the 2 of us, it is amazing how much $$ one spends less, kids are expensive....:) This is our first year as empty nesters and this is our first solo vacation, so we are excited, thought about leaving the country but decided against it this year, we decided to focus on the food and did a serious resort upgrade to the AKL, so we are def ready to be wowed......

Thanks for all of your thoughts!!

We don't like counter service restaurants so the deluxe plan is great for us!
My thoughts also, since this trip is just the wife and I, we both do not mind spending a few hours in a air conditioned dining room and enjoying good food and items other then burgers, hotdogs, some form of chicken, etc......
I did up grade to the Deluxe plan yesterday and am happy about it as I have some great meals planned!

With 17 table service credits over 7 nights, I would not do the regular dining plan because I would think you would end up with too many counter service credits leftover and that would be a waste of money. At least, that is what would happen to us. We don't do quite enough table service to go DxDP but we do too many to make good use of the DDP either, so we go OOP. Anyhow, my advice would be to go OOP totally or DxDP...regular dining plan does not sound like a good fit for you.

I did deluxe on a solo trip last month, and I really enjoyed it. I tend to go to the parks from opening to closing, so I use meals as my break time. It is absolutely too much food, but I have no qualms with leaving food on the table, especially dessert. Several times, CMs were nice enough to bring me half portions of desserts (not always possible - I was asking for things like the fried wonton skewers at Yak and Yeti where you get more than one skewer). I did not calculate whether I actually saved money - I was more interested in the convenience of prepaying and giving myself the "freedom" to order anything I wanted to order without worrying about price.

With 17 table service credits over 7 nights, I would not do the regular dining plan because I would think you would end up with too many counter service credits leftover and that would be a waste of money. At least, that is what would happen to us. We don't do quite enough table service to go DxDP but we do too many to make good use of the DDP either, so we go OOP. Anyhow, my advice would be to go OOP totally or DxDP...regular dining plan does not sound like a good fit for you.
I did deluxe on a solo trip last month, and I really enjoyed it. I tend to go to the parks from opening to closing, so I use meals as my break time. It is absolutely too much food, but I have no qualms with leaving food on the table, especially dessert. Several times, CMs were nice enough to bring me half portions of desserts (not always possible - I was asking for things like the fried wonton skewers at Yak and Yeti where you get more than one skewer). I did not calculate whether I actually saved money - I was more interested in the convenience of prepaying and giving myself the "freedom" to order anything I wanted to order without worrying about price.

My thought exactly as the CS meal, as part of the DDP, with the meals I have planned we would only use 4 of them......When performing the OOP costs vs the dining plan it come out almost even with a savings of $113 with the deluxe, plus I like the idea of prepaying for the food, for me is is a convenience to have them paid and done with before I set foot in Disney.....

Lots of great thoughts and perspectives from you all so here it goes.....This is a couple only trip, no kids as we are now empty nesters, so this trip is more about the food then the rides. I had the restaurants I wanted to eat at and added up the credits, we are staying 7 nights so that is 7 table service meals PP. The current reservations I have come out to 17 PP, so that is 10 more then the plan gives. I planned on taking extra money to cover those along with $500 or so gift cards, this does not include and extra spending money. My question is IF I upgrade to the DxDP it will give us plenty to cover what we have but leave 4 extra table service credits. Cost is $571 more for the DxDP, so I know it sort of balances out in a way, what would you all do, thoughts, suggestions?

Treat yourselves to a few 2 credit meals and you will use up the extra credits with ease. As long as my main daily meals are what I want to eat and I break even or come close to it I don't worry about the snack credits much.

We didn't get a dining plan on our adult trip simply because we had several meals planned that dinna accept the dining plan. Had this not been the case the math would have worked out fine.

Viewpoint from parents with 2 teenage guys who eat: do the Deluxe Dining Plan!!
We had never used a dining plan before our trip to Disneyland Paris last fall (always used TiW for 20% discount on meals). As parents on a budget, in past WDW trips i always felt guilty having to watch what my kids (and husband and and I too) ordered, trying to make our $ go the farthest by limiting snacks, ordering kids meals at QS when possible, and they always respected our efforts by ordering wisely at TS restaurants. But I know there were times my youngest would have loved to order the adult steak (most expensive menu item at Chefs De France) but got the kids porting to help cut costs... I always felt guilty but hey - budgeting helps us go to WDW often so there are trade offs!

Until Disneyland Paris happened...with our package we got a free dining plan as a promo with all sit down meals included. What a difference- we were able to go anywhere we wanted, the boys could order anything they wanted and i never had to think about any $ issues. The freedom it gave to be able to relax and just enjoy the meal! Seeing the boys feel excited to try new things- priceless!

Now for our spring trip we are getting the deluxe plan and can’t wait! We are AP holders so riding from rope drop to last firework is not the goal- we will ride, enjoy a lovely meal together and ride some more. Enjoying meals at WDW is priceless too!

We are spending a couple of nights with no kids for our Anniversary. We have ADRs for 2 credit restaruants a little later and 1 credit breakfast restaruants. Since we don't have any kids with us, we can eat dinner later.

Don't forget about tips. I see a ton of people do the math on DDP's and forget to factor in an extra 20% on top of the TS costs!

I don't factor in the tips whether eating OOP or on the dining plan since it's still the same amount of money being spent no matter how I pay for it.

I guess it depends on how you’re doing the math. Being on the dining plan often changes where you eat. If we use it, we do more sit downs, thereby increasing the tips.

I guess it depends on how you’re doing the math. Being on the dining plan often changes where you eat. If we use it, we do more sit downs, thereby increasing the tips.

I do understand what you are saying yet for us the restaurants that are the best bang for the buck on the DxDP are the same type of restaurants we would eat at if paying OOP.
Actually, that's not completely true. Were I not there the man would stake out a corner at Casey's Corner for the duration and earn the wrath (and bills) of his gastroenterologist and cardiologist and and then the poor man would have to listen to me when he got home...oops :crutches::duck:.

By the way, and on the deluxe plan, those 4 extra meals can be used n counter service or can be redeemed for snack credits (3 each I believe). As for snack credits, there are plenty of prepackaged items that can last a while and keep reminding you of Dis year after you get back.

Don't forget about tips. I see a ton of people do the math on DDP's and forget to factor in an extra 20% on top of the TS costs!

Good point but the tips are subjective and up to the customer, it can add up but yea I have the $$ set aside for tips......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!