Thinking on changing flight.

Chip_Dale

DIS Veteran
Presently flying out of Buffalo. Right now borders are closed for car travel and there is a 14 day quarantine for arrivals from NY when arriving in FL. Most likely will be lifted before our trip. Thinking on flying out if Toronto. Can now cross border via plane

the quarantine for visitors from the tri-state area was just extended indefinitely btw....
yes the border has not been closed to flights only land and water entry is closed.

the quarantine for visitors from the tri-state area was just extended indefinitely btw....
yes the border has not been closed to flights only land and water entry is closed.

Are you sure? I was just browsing the DVC section thread on this and it appears the order is still set to expire on July 7, with the caveat it might still be extended past then - it's really unclear so Blog Mickey wrote the Health department and got a answer. In the comments of the article they even mention asking about the specific Executive Article 20-139 which extended 20-82.

Might be worth an email or phone call Florida Health Department to make sure.

this was in several articles I read over the past couple of days. Apparently there is no longer a specific date mentioned for lifting the restrictions on travel from the tri-state area

ok trying to link sites that are apparently blocked here (hate that)
https://insidethemagic.net/2020/06/florida-extends-isolation-travel-order-tm1/
there's also a story in WDW news today (blocked site)
they're all taking about that executive order having the end date now removed from the wording. Personally I wouldn't risk arriving to find out it's still in place

Last edited:

I did see that, but both articles are from the same date and the Blog Mickey post I quoted has a response from the Health Department stating July 7th - from what I can find the 'extension' mentioned in 20-139 actual refers to the "exceptions for persons involved in commercial activity and students traveling for the purpose of academic work, internships, sports training and any other activity or program" so that the NBA and MLS can finish their seasons in Florida (WDW) but who really knows?

If it was me I'd be contacting the Health Department myself to make sure, and getting an answer in writing or email if possible.

EDIT:
We specifically asked about 20-139 as part of our due diligence in writing this article and the state told us that the expiration date for the tri-state order is July 7th. That’s why we wrote July 7th and not indefinitely
Is the quote from the article posted yesterday July 13 that I'm working off. It's also possible that like most governments one hand doesn't know what the other is doing in this case.

The only restrictions entering the USA are at the land border.

But flight restrictions could happen with some days notice esp as numbers climb in Florida. Setting aside the concern re travel medical insurance, to be 1 or 2 days into a week and a half trip to Florida, have flight restrictions and deadline posted, and then stress and fight to rebook an earlier flight home with all other Canadians would be awful. For those who drive, the back up used to be a rental car and run north to the border. That's not an option with closed land border. Too much risk and stress for most of us to spin the wheel. An extremely experienced TA would be the bare minimum safety net. Doubtful they would want that booking.

But flight restrictions could happen with some days notice esp as numbers climb in Florida. Setting aside the concern re travel medical insurance, to be 1 or 2 days into a week and a half trip to Florida, have flight restrictions and deadline posted, and then stress and fight to rebook an earlier flight home with all other Canadians would be awful. For those who drive, the back up used to be a rental car and run north to the border. That's not an option with closed land border. Too much risk and stress for most of us to spin the wheel. An extremely experienced TA would be the bare minimum safety net. Doubtful they would want that booking.
You would still be able to cross back into Canada at the land border if you rented a car, they CANNOT turn away Canadian citizens or permanent residents at ANY border crossing, be it land, air, sea or rail.

I'm not really certain what point your trying to make here? A Canadian PR or Citizen is always allowed back into Canada; the current border closure only applies to non-residents on non-essential travel.

Also I'm not certain why you would want or even need a travel agent, what they bring to the table, and why you would even mention it. Unless I'm missing something?

You would still be able to cross back into Canada at the land border if you rented a car, they CANNOT turn away Canadian citizens or permanent residents at ANY border crossing, be it land, air, sea or rail.

I’m sure you‘re correct. Too much stress for me for a vacation 🙂

I'm not really certain what point your trying to make here? A Canadian PR or Citizen is always allowed back into Canada; the current border closure only applies to non-residents on non-essential travel.

Also I'm not certain why you would want or even need a travel agent, what they bring to the table, and why you would even mention it. Unless I'm missing something?

When the flight loophole is closed, no planes in means no planes out. We saw what happened to Canadians trying to find flights out of the Eastern Caribbean during the last major hurricane. Stranded. An experienced TA might at least find some hopscotch flight connection on American flights back to Canada. Again, not what I want to be worried about on a vacation. Anyone who wants to take the risk and stress, is welcome to it. Hopefully, they have an exit strategy and aren’t relying on Air Canada or Westjet to get them home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter