This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

I don't have any idea what Disney needs. But I do know I don't feel comfortable deciding what is an isn't appropriate for them to charge. I know I don't know how the income stream of the company interacts with overall cash position, and I don't know how much income from the parks are a factor in the overall revenue of the company. I don't know what projections have been made, or whose job is on the line for making those projections, or what the overall strategy for upcoming years is.

But I do know I never feel good about telling someone else what they need. Be it a person or a company.

At the root of the complaints here is that Disney makes enough money and they should not want to make more. But to do that, we have to decide what we think is "enough" and then impose it on someone else. We have to insist that they substitute our wants (everything to be fundamentally more enjoyable for us, either through crowds, access or cost) for their own (to be as profitable as they can. Because people's livelihoods do depend on it). And that's just something I'm not willing to request of another person. Or another company.

You know how Disney sends out those surveys and has people in the parks taking them? Think of it like that. They literally ask their customers for their opinions.

People here are expressing their opinion on the state of things. It's kind of what message boards are for. Disney may or may not be listening, but it gives those concerned the chance to see what others think.

For me, Extra Magic Hours was not a determining factor in whether or not I am going to Walt Disney World. It is a huge incentive for me to book an on site hotel stay. I have been a die hard on site Disney guest. My trip in October might be the last time I do that. I used to love the theming of the Disney rooms. As resorts get refurbished they have been taking away those special touches that differentiate them from an off site hotel room. Moving away from EMH to an add on priced after hours event will not mean I don't go to a Disney park, it would definitely mean that I will find a far less expensive hotel stay off site. I probably will save a whole lot more even when I add the added expenses of transportation. As food and beverage prices rise, ticket prices rise, a choice of hotel is a big factor I can control to keep my Disney vacation affordable.

Last I checked this wasn't the Proctor and Gamble message board.
Fairly certain you understood my point. I bet many ppl on this board complaining about Disney’s “greed” are staunch supporters of capitalism in all other aspects, but this is where they draw the line.

Honestly, we just got back from a disney trip and the evening emh were a bust for our family. Our little ones would fall asleep and the park with the evening emh always felt more crowded than a park with standard hours.

For us morning emh were great but honestly the best mornings were when we have attended a 8am regular opening at MK.

Sooo many hotels have emh now... it makes planning that much more complicated and the payoff isnt there. Also with the way they open the parks before the official time, i think the hours are still there, just not announced. We got to DHS at 8:30 for a 9am open and rode 2-3 TSL rides by 9AM. I think disney may be trying to spread crowds around by soft opening and closing their parks based on how many people are there. just my 2cents

For us the best onsite perks are 60 day fp and the bus transportation followed by the overall theming and cleanliness of the resorts...with our kids being so little if fp start costing extra we wld be done with disney

AM EMH doesn’t work for us because I have a teenager. My once super rope dropper just won’t do it anymore (and it’s his vacation too!!!).

But putting that aside, until @PolyRob mentioned it up thread, I never thought about the AM EMH limitations at MK. So in addition to losing an hour, you lose half the park.

I really hope they reconsider come January (after party season). When was the last time a MK DAH sold out? I’m not sure there’s a market to offer it more than once per week.

So I'm backtracking from my initial disappointment. :o I thought it was all EMH, it's only Magic Kingdom night EMH. When we go MK looks like (schedules always change) it's open until 10 or later most nights, and for us that's late enough. I like to end nights with a cocktail somewhere...

We LOVE the night EMH at Epcot, and that's still happening.

And admittedly, if they still offer DAH at Animal Kingdom when we go, that will be our splurge purchase. :)

Fairly certain you understood my point. I bet many ppl on this board complaining about Disney’s “greed” are staunch supporters of capitalism in all other aspects, but this is where they draw the line.

There are many different kinds of capitalism, and I don't often wonder which, if any, other people adhere to or prefer.

There's a 300+ page thread in this very forum discussing a transportation system. Transportation. For 300 pages and counting. People discuss anything and everything about Disney on this board. I think the level of perceived greed is a fair topic.

I hope my posts don't come off as antagonistic. I don't mean for them to, but I have to be honest, some of yours kind of feel that way.

So I'm backtracking from my initial disappointment. :o I thought it was all EMH, it's only Magic Kingdom night EMH. When we go MK looks like (schedules always change) it's open until 10 or later most nights, and for us that's late enough. I like to end nights with a cocktail somewhere...

We LOVE the night EMH at Epcot, and that's still happening.

And admittedly, if they still offer DAH at Animal Kingdom when we go, that will be our splurge purchase. :)

Keep in mind that even if you don't use them, there will be a whole lot of other people visiting at the same time you are that will use them. Those people only have so many park hours in them. If they use some of them there, they won't be using them in another park.

Reduced capacity at one park is reduced capacity across the board. Losing hours at one park has an effect at the others, however small it may be, but they do add up.

Just food for thought. :)

Disney is capable of changing much faster than it did in the previous decades, especially when it comes to changing the guest experience! ;)

I go back and forth about stressing about the threshold of the tipping point for our family Disney trip. I am starting to lean towards the following attitude, if only for my sanity:

Stop looking at the line by line invoice and the prices and try to look at it from an "experience" point of view. Make new traditions if something is not working for you anymore. If you really aren't enjoying your vacation in the Orlando area, then stop trying to force yourself to enjoy it! Disney was inspired by lots of places on the planet - you can totally go see them if you want to! Be open to embracing new ways to enjoy your favorite things.

It's been a bit of a landslide of changes in the past few years, versus the slower pace of previous years, but we'll have to adjust.

Well for one, I would have to be as passionate about Tide as I am with Disney so that’s not happening.

But to go with this for a second, if Tide raised their prices slightly, I’d probably still buy it. If they raised them a lot, I’d probably try a different brand. If they raised them a lot and subsequently started charging separately for the lid, the scent, and the convenience of buying it at my local store, I would probably wonder what P&G is smoking, maybe ranting about it on some Tide forum if P&G held a special place in my heart like Disney.

The thing is, most people are not passionate about products in this way. If anything, there is much less loyalty involved with many products (although not all), and as such consumers just quietly find a substitute when the corporate greed gets to be too much.

Disney is capable of changing much faster than it did in the previous decades, especially when it comes to changing the guest experience! ;)

I go back and forth about stressing about the threshold of the tipping point for our family Disney trip. I am starting to lean towards the following attitude, if only for my sanity:

Stop looking at the line by line invoice and the prices and try to look at it from an "experience" point of view. Make new traditions if something is not working for you anymore. If you really aren't enjoying your vacation in the Orlando area, then stop trying to force yourself to enjoy it! Disney was inspired by lots of places on the planet - you can totally go see them if you want to! Be open to embracing new ways to enjoy your favorite things.

It's been a bit of a landslide of changes in the past few years, versus the slower pace of previous years, but we'll have to adjust.
That explains exactly how I feel about it. Certain parts might cost me more but then I make others cost less. I’m able to keep the overall costs about the same each trip.

Does it have to be an all or nothing thing though?
I don’t really understand what your asking. My point was how hypocritical it is & how many would cite capitalism when it affects ppl’s access to necessities like healthcare; but when it’s their luxury vacation on the line then it’s corporate greed.

For me, Extra Magic Hours was not a determining factor in whether or not I am going to Walt Disney World. It is a huge incentive for me to book an on site hotel stay. I have been a die hard on site Disney guest. My trip in October might be the last time I do that. I used to love the theming of the Disney rooms. As resorts get refurbished they have been taking away those special touches that differentiate them from an off site hotel room. Moving away from EMH to an add on priced after hours event will not mean I don't go to a Disney park, it would definitely mean that I will find a far less expensive hotel stay off site. I probably will save a whole lot more even when I add the added expenses of transportation. As food and beverage prices rise, ticket prices rise, a choice of hotel is a big factor I can control to keep my Disney vacation affordable.

EMH wasn't and has NEVER been a determining factor on whether I go to Disney or whether we stay onsite. It was a definite bonus if it coincided with my park days while we were there and I most certainly took advantage of it. I will ALWAYS stay onsite...booking FPs 60 days out makes that a number one factor now. Before FPs it was simply because I loved and still do, the Disney bubble! I hate that they are phasing out EMHs. The DAH looks like it will never work with our trip days, but the EMM does and I will try it out on our next visit. I don't do it this visit because I already had our park days all laid out and the MK EMM is on a Sunday and Tuesday morning. Sunday is the day I'm driving us in...should arrive around 11am. And Tuesday is our EPCOT day. EMM is about $60 cheaper per ticket and considering I'm a FL resident and only pay on average about $62 for a ticket....it's easier to handle the EMM hard ticket than it is the $125 regular DAH or the $139 Villian DAH. Right now our tickets are costing us $49 a day! :cheer2::cheer2: When I do the math, we'd either pay $130 or $145 for a day's park entry into MK. When I think about it at first...I go...no way! :scared1: But then I go...wait....how many rides can I wipe out in Fantasyland before park open and now only concentrate on Tomorrowland, Adventureland, Fantasyland, and Liberty Square! It's definitely something I will budget for on our next trip.

I hate that there are no morning EMHs that work with our park dates in June, but my son and I will definitely take advantage of the one in EPCOT on Tue and the one in MK on Wed evenings. :woohoo:

I think you missed the point, I don’t think you really have any idea if people here do complain about other companies, this is a Disney forum and this is where we talk Disney.

I think you missed the point, I don’t think you really have any idea if people here do complain about other companies, this is a Disney forum and this is where we talk Disney.
Ok, then, I should have said that I know ppl IRL who subscribe these sort of hypocritical views & only care about a corporations greed when it affects them.

So if we compare 7 day stretch for both schedules:
2019:
Am emh: 5 hours
Pm emh: 4 hours

2010:
Am emh: 7 hours
Pm emh: 18 hours

There also used to be am emh at the water parks in addition.
This is infuriating. The parks and resorts are busier than ever, they keep adding DS resorts, prices keep increasing and they keep cutting hours?!?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter