This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

Exactly & this circles back to my use of entitled. There are many ppl who don’t have necessities & a vacation of any kind is a luxury.

For many of my clients & kids in my school...the bike & taking the bus are also luxuries!

There are 40 MILLION ppl who live in poverty in the US. That’s just the lowest of the low. There are many many ppl who can’t afford any vacation who aren’t technically living in poverty. I went on vacation with relatives & friends as a kid. My single parent was NEVER able to afford to take us...and weren’t living in poverty just unable to afford that level of disposable income.

Exactly.

And don't forget how many people go into serious debt to take Disney vacations. Not everyone buying DVC and vacationing at WDW can even really "afford" it, in the absolute sense of the term. And for many people it is a once in a lifetime trip.

Some would define you even having a car as a luxury. That’s the point.

That doesn’t make Honda a luxury car brand. Just like people not being able to afford a Disney vacation doesn’t make Disney a luxury vacation.

That is not to say that a vacation isn’t a luxury to some, or owning a vehicle, or eating in a restaurant, or shopping for brand new clothes, etc. But that doesn’t make those things luxury items. Just like being increasingly unaffordable for some families doesn’t make Disney a luxury vacation anymore than a Honda is a luxury vehicle brand because some people could never afford one.

Luxury item was being used to justify the price increases and up charge events and the attempts to get more $$$ out of guests. I disagree (and I think most people would) that an average Disney vacation is on the same level as Lexus, Audi, Chanel, Louis V (apparently the full name is banned?), etc. I think as a whole Disney is targeted at the middle - upper middle class. I’m not saying it’s not expensive. I’m not saying it’s not out of reach for many. But a week at Pop Century visiting the Disney parks and eating some character meals isn’t a luxury vacation, and calling it one to justify raising pricing is something I disagree with.

I think luxury is defined differently for every person. I'm not a luxury person, even if i can afford something, i usually won't splurge on it.

In terms of Disney, i would consider a deluxe resort a luxury, but i would not consider a value resort one. We all know there are far nicer rooms for a cheaper price offsite.

I'll pay for the value, and even the moderate (if the price is right), but i personally can't justify spending the type of money on a hotel room that a deluxe costs. That's a luxury to me.

I would be upset too if not for the fact that right now at this time we are seeing the highest re-investment of profits back into the WDW area ever with the exception of adding another whole park. TSL, SWGE, Tron, Ratty, Gondolas, the two huge DVC towers,.

Yea kinda us as well. Plus Guardians Coaster, HEA, New Illuminations and I would count Pandora Land as well as D Springs continued rollout.

The DVC additions are definitely a perk for us, many Resorts were not even on our radar (CR/GF/POLY and now Riviera) and now there simply stays on dues.

That said, I still would like to see later hours available as we are night owls.

I wouldn't mind some sort of "after 4PM" AP if they were open later.

And my point is that you and others are defining anything not a "need" as a luxury. And that is one way to use the word.

That doesn't make a Honda a "luxury car" or my purse from Target a "luxury bag" or my Nikes "luxury shoes". The word is used in that way to describe an item that is very high end and high cost.
Will have to agree to disagree on this one. Imo, anything with a certain price tag that is unaffordable to so many is a luxury.

I think luxury is defined differently for every person. I'm not a luxury person, even if i can afford something, i usually won't splurge on it.

In terms of Disney, i would consider a deluxe resort a luxury, but i would not consider a value resort one. We all know there are far nicer rooms for a cheaper price offsite.

I'll pay for the value, and even the moderate (if the price is right), but i personally can't justify spending the type of money on a hotel room that a deluxe costs. That's a luxury to me.
I just don’t think ppl understand how many ppl couldn’t even dream of spending $2000 on anything much less vacation.

I just don’t think ppl understand how many ppl couldn’t even dream of spending $2000 on anything much less vacation.

I understand all too well that many people couldn't dream of spending $2000 on a vacation. Vacation for me used to be a very cheap hotel for one night in Biloxi and maybe a meal in a restaurant. Or camping and I HATE camping! LOL We would spend max $200 and it was all we could possibly afford. And I still would not have called it a luxury vacation.

You seem like you are wanting to define too many people as entitled or blind to the perils of others. Not the case. They just define a word differently than you do.

yeah i think a lot of people do understand that.

But that's not what we're talking about. Just because some people might not have 2k to spend on anything much less a vacation, doesn't mean Disney isn't a luxury to everyone else.

I promise you i didnt mean that to be as cold as it sounded, i was struggling with the right words for that.

I understand all too well that many people couldn't dream of spending $2000 on a vacation. Vacation for me used to be a very cheap hotel for one night in Biloxi and maybe a meal in a restaurant. Or camping and I HATE camping! LOL We would spend max $200 and it was all we could possibly afford. And I still would not have called it a luxury vacation.

You seem like you are wanting to define too many people as entitled or blind to the perils of others. Not the case. They just define a word differently than you do.
Ok so just for fun what would you consider the price point of a vacation you would be comfortable defining as a luxury?

That doesn’t make the vacations a luxury item. There is a wide margin of things that exist between necessities and luxury brands. Nobody is saying Disney isn’t out of reach for people.

Do a google search. Tell me what kind of names you see when you input “luxury brand”. Disney is very solidly not that, although they may have small offshoots, such as VIP tours that you could make the argument for.

I think of the commercials Disney used to run advertising how affordable it could be to take a family and giggle a little at the idea of it also being marketed as a high end luxury brand.

They market themselves overwhelmingly to the average middle to upper middle class family. Whether that family can afford it anymore is another story.

That doesn’t make the vacations a luxury item. There is a wide margin of things that exist between necessities and luxury brands. Nobody is saying Disney isn’t out of reach for people.

Do a google search. Tell me what kind of names you see when you input “luxury brand”. Disney is very solidly not that, although they may have small offshoots, such as VIP tours that you could make the argument for.
Will have to just agree to disagree. Luxury is defined as “the state of great comfort or extravagant living”. I would guess that 49 million ppl in this country alone would describe having disposable income of $2000 (minimally) to spend on vacation as “great comfort”. And, I personally know many ppl above that threshold who would also define it as a luxury. That has been my experience & if you’re fortunate enough to not have had these experiences or know these ppl, that’s wonderful. I also feel fortunate that I able to indulge in this luxury since many ppl cannot.

I think of the commercials Disney used to run advertising how affordable it could be to take a family and giggle a little at the idea of it also being marketed as a high end luxury brand.

They market themselves overwhelmingly to the average middle to upper middle class family. Whether that family can afford it anymore is another story.

You notice how on a lot of those commercials where they market it as "as little as such and such a day" that the background is usually the Grand Floridan or Contemporary?

Will have to just agree to disagree. Luxury is defined as “the state of great comfort or extravagant living”. I would guess that 49 million ppl in this country alone would describe having disposable income of $2000 (minimally) to spend on vacation as “great comfort”. And, I personally know many ppl above that threshold who would also define it as a luxury. That has been my experience & if you’re fortunate enough to not have had these experiences or know these ppl, that’s wonderful. I also feel fortunate that I able to indulge in this luxury since many ppl cannot.

You have implied multiple times that those who don’t view Disney as a luxury brand must be out of touch and privileged, without saying those exact words.

That’s wrong, but agree to disagree I guess.

And 30% of the US population (almost 1/3 & 75 million ppl) is not that but considered low income. So imo, that’s a lot of ppl excluded who consider it a luxury.

Ok so just for fun what would you consider the price point of a vacation you would be comfortable defining as a luxury?

I don't have a price point. It depends on where you are going.

You keep going back to very low income families. That would make any thing lower middle class and middle class families spend money on would be a "luxury".

My son and dil have a boat and so does dd and sil. Those in your eyes are "luxuries". So if one of them was a yacht and one was an aluminum boat for fishing; you would consider them both a "luxury" item?

And 30% of the US population (almost 1/3 & 75 million ppl) is not that but considered low income. So imo, that’s a lot of ppl excluded who consider it a luxury.

Luxury goods tend to be associated with the wealthy, and are affordable to a small segment of the population.

Luxury goods aren’t just what some people can’t afford, that would encompass nearly everything and make the word useless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter