This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

Regarding parking spaces, I don't think there are plenty of them. Whenever I stay at a resort the last few years, we've driven from our place in Orlando. We've stayed at the Poly and BLT, and there have been times I had trouble finding places to park. Not all the time, but a lot of it. I don't know why that is, and I've not stayed in anywhere else for a long time, but for those resorts, it's not as though there are aisles and aisles of empty spaces. At least not when I've gone.

I don't know whether that justifies a fee, but I really don't see all the unused spaces you're talking about. A few maybe, but hardly a plethora.

Regarding parking spaces, I don't think there are plenty of them. Whenever I stay at a resort the last few years, we've driven from our place in Orlando. We've stayed at the Poly and BLT, and there have been times I had trouble finding places to park. Not all the time, but a lot of it. I don't know why that is, and I've not stayed in anywhere else for a long time, but for those resorts, it's not as though there are aisles and aisles of empty spaces. At least not when I've gone.

I don't know whether that justifies a fee, but I really don't see all the unused spaces you're talking about. A few maybe, but hardly a plethora.

We've stayed at the all stars, pop, and CSR the past few years, and there are rows and rows of empty spaces, at least at those resorts.

Both of those hotels get a lot of people parking there and going to the parks for the day, as do the Boardwalk resorts. The hotels further from a park have many more empty parking spaces. Look at the lots at Contemporary or Polynesian after Magic Kingdom closes, you’ll find aisles and aisles of empty spaces, which is the time the resort parking fee actually is in use.

Both of those hotels get a lot of people parking there and going to the parks for the day, as do the Boardwalk resorts. The hotels further from a park have many more empty parking spaces. Look at the lots at Contemporary or Polynesian after Magic Kingdom closes, you’ll find aisles and aisles of empty spaces, which is the time the resort parking fee actually is in use.

I can only speak from experience. I've comeback late to both and had a tough time finding spaces. In the rain. Especially in the rain :)

I think it's a stupid revenue enhancement policy, too, but like many have said, it' probably industry standard. I know when I stay at a ski resort, or at a beach resort, or anyplace the resort is a large part of the appeal, I pay resort fees and parking fees (if it's a hotel-like thing). I don't like ti, but I can certainly understand how someone on the 17th floor somewhere made the pitch to someone on the 31st floor, and it got implemented.

I’ve stayed at pop and all stars and both times seen it empty but eaten at the contemporary and that was crowded (the same weekend that pop had acres of empty space)... I wonder if the issue is by resort like the values and moderates don’t have an issue but the deluxe do? But maybe instead of implementing a rule across the board maybe they should look at the ones with issues and either implement fees there or address the actual issue (like the contemporary people eat at chef Mickey and may then park the day to go into the MK - instead of charging the overnight guests charge the other resort guests driving in for the day - or even just the meal).

I’ve stayed at pop and all stars and both times seen it empty but eaten at the contemporary and that was crowded (the same weekend that pop had acres of empty space)... I wonder if the issue is by resort like the values and moderates don’t have an issue but the deluxe do? But maybe instead of implementing a rule across the board maybe they should look at the ones with issues and either implement fees there or address the actual issue (like the contemporary people eat at chef Mickey and may then park the day to go into the MK - instead of charging the overnight guests charge the other resort guests driving in for the day - or even just the meal).
Seems too easy and less profitable, but maybe charge for parking for everyone, but comp the ones that are actually staying at the resort.

I know I know, that would mean Disney doesn’t get to keep the money

Seems too easy and less profitable, but maybe charge for parking for everyone, but comp the ones that are actually staying at the resort.

Would have been nice if they actually were attempting to fix the problem, hey?

I’m assuming what they really didn’t want to do was discourage day guests from coming and spending money at the resorts. My guess is the bulk of overnight guests are not deterred by a parking fee and it isn’t much of a habit changer for the majority.

I’ve stayed at pop and all stars and both times seen it empty but eaten at the contemporary and that was crowded (the same weekend that pop had acres of empty space)... I wonder if the issue is by resort like the values and moderates don’t have an issue but the deluxe do? But maybe instead of implementing a rule across the board maybe they should look at the ones with issues and either implement fees there or address the actual issue (like the contemporary people eat at chef Mickey and may then park the day to go into the MK - instead of charging the overnight guests charge the other resort guests driving in for the day - or even just the meal).[/QUOTE

so if we choose to Pay top dollar to stay at a deluxe, we should also pay for parking too?
I don't believe the issue is the guests staying at the hotel, it is people staying off property who don't want to pay for parking, park there and take buses or the monorail to the parks.

Last edited:

Actually, @Traveling on cc points, I said maybe they should implement fees there OR address the actual issue and then referenced people going to those resorts and eating signature meals and then parking all day etc. I even stated to “instead of charging the overnight guests charge the other resort guests driving in for the day” meaning those going for a meal, etc, would be charged to park but those staying at that resort would not. And I would agree - if the issue is other guests using parking meant for those guests staying at the resort and instead they park all day then they are causing the issue and should be charged. Especially if that is the issue at those resorts...

I would think they could just scan your magic band and figure it out that way. Honestly now that parking is a fee that we pay for that is not going away anytime soon if ever. I was just sort of wishing they had addressed the actual issue (if people resort hoping and then squatting at that resorts parking lot was the issue) instead of implementing a fee across the board that just doesn’t make since at a lot of the resorts.

Actually, @Traveling on cc points, I said maybe they should implement fees there OR address the actual issue and then referenced people going to those resorts and eating signature meals and then parking all day etc. I even stated to “instead of charging the overnight guests charge the other resort guests driving in for the day” meaning those going for a meal, etc, would be charged to park but those staying at that resort would not. And I would agree - if the issue is other guests using parking meant for those guests staying at the resort and instead they park all day then they are causing the issue and should be charged. Especially if that is the issue at those resorts...

I totally agree, I don't know why the other half of my comment didn't post but the gist was that I don't think that people who stay on property should have to pay while eating but it would be totally justified to charge people staying off property who arent spending money at the resort and just parking to avoid paying at the parks.

Last edited:
First off, nowhere did I ever compare a Disney resort to a Motel 6 and/or a Days Inn. Talk about to twisting something in an attempt to make your case.

In regards to a resort parking fee. I simply can't reconcile in my mind that a regular Disney guest/customer would not have some sort of issue with it. Whether I agree with them or not, I can see some sliver of logic in counter-arguments for things like increased ticket prices, reduced EMH, and even paid FP. But, there is nothing about a parking fee at a resort that has more than enough available parking spaces that is anything other than a money grab by the entity charging the fee. There is not a single valid argument to the contrary. Anyone trying to claim otherwise has brought an undeclared bias to the argument that runs counter to the way 99.999999% of Disney customers would react.
But money grab & increase in revenue are 2 different things. How do you we know it’s not to discourage parking in places like CR & Poly where parking is more limited AND serve as an extra source of revenue to offset other costs? Perhaps it’s a way to only charge those who use it rather than adding a resort fee to everyone else.

But money grab & increase in revenue are 2 different things. How do you we know it’s not to discourage parking in places like CR & Poly where parking is more limited AND serve as an extra source of revenue to offset other costs? Perhaps it’s a way to only charge those who use it rather than adding a resort fee to everyone else.

The reason the monarail resorts are overrun with cars is because offsite guests don't want to pay for parking at the parks. This is obviously the problem and I don't know why Disney hasn't put a stop to it.

if you stay offsite, you can pay a much cheaper price for your room and park for free at one of the hotels and take the monarail to the park

If you pay $400+ a night to stay at the Poly you have to pay $33 a night to park your car.

I truly don't understand how anyone can this this is right.

The reason the monarail resorts are overrun with cars is because offsite guests don't want to pay for parking at the parks. This is obviously the problem and I don't know why Disney hasn't put a stop to it.

if you stay offsite, you can pay a much cheaper price for your room and park for free at one of the hotels and take the monarail to the park

If you pay $400+ a night to stay at the Poly you have to pay $33 a night to park your car.

I truly don't understand how anyone can this this is right.
For the deluxe resorts, I think it is about availability. I think they want to discourage ppl from renting a car/driving. Ftr, we drove last time & stayed at Poly & they told me about the parking fee, but I was never charged. That’s why I think it’s about discouraging. If it were revenue, they would make darn sure to enforce the rule & make sure everyone paid.

Because they only charge resort guests for overnight stays not those who are parking there to access the parks without paying the parking fees. It doesn't solve any problems, it just gives them money, once again, for something that was once free.

For the deluxe resorts, I think it is about availability. I think they want to discourage ppl from renting a car/driving. Ftr, we drove last time & stayed at Poly & they told me about the parking fee, but I was never charged. That’s why I think it’s about discouraging. If it were revenue, they would make darn sure to enforce the rule & make sure everyone paid.
I have never rented a car so I can say for sure how they track it. From what I have read here, people are getting charged when security is scanning your magic band. I have also seen reports where people have taken an uber and were charged because security takes the guests name at the gate. Were you staying at the poly on a dvc reservation? If not, I think you just got some pixie dust.

Because they only charge resort guests for overnight stays not those who are parking there to access the parks without paying the parking fees. It doesn't solve any problems, it just gives them money, once again, for something that was once free.

Not free, included in the very high hotel cost:flower:

I have never rented a car so I can say for sure how they track it. From what I have read here, people are getting charged when security is scanning your magic band. I have also seen reports where people have taken an uber and were charged because security takes the guests name at the gate. Were you staying at the poly on a dvc reservation? If not, I think you just got some pixie dust.
No it was a regular reservation. I had read on the theme park boards that this was happening a lot so I wasn’t surprised & I admittedly didn’t volunteer the info. And did they fee go up? Someone just said $33/night, but it was $24/night in Nov. I also thought that I had read that they weren’t allowing ppl to park in resorts like Poly & CR without hotel reservations since they implemented the parking fee. I’m going to have to look that up & see what I read.

No it was a regular reservation. I had read on the theme park boards that this was happening a lot so I wasn’t surprised & I admittedly didn’t volunteer the info. And did they fee go up? Someone just said $33/night, but it was $24/night in Nov. I also thought that I had read that they weren’t allowing ppl to park in resorts like Poly & CR without hotel reservations since they implemented the parking fee. I’m going to have to look that up & see what I read.

Definitely some pity dust. My bad. You are right, it is $24 a night. I confused the price with the increase for valet.
People are definitely still parking at the resorts. All they have to say is they are shopping or have a lunch/dinner reservation and they are waived through. This is why so many people are aggravated with the whole situation.

Definitely some pity dust. My bad. You are right, it is $24 a night. I confused the price with the increase for valet.
People are definitely still parking at the resorts. All they have to say is they are shopping or have a lunch/dinner reservation and they are waived through. This is why so many people are aggravated with the whole situation.
Pity dust. I love that! Is that what they hand out when they’re out of pixie dust? :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter