This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked at my last stay at the Poly -- last July 3-5. I was told there was a parking fee, but as I just went over my bill, I wasn't charged it, either.

For the deluxe resorts, I think it is about availability. I think they want to discourage ppl from renting a car/driving. Ftr, we drove last time & stayed at Poly & they told me about the parking fee, but I was never charged. That’s why I think it’s about discouraging. If it were revenue, they would make darn sure to enforce the rule & make sure everyone paid.

Why would they want to do anything to discourage someone paying $400 a night from doing something and allow people who aren’t paying Disney anything per night to do it for free? That doesn’t make sense. Perhaps if they didn’t allow non resort guests to park there, there wouldn’t be a shortage of spaces.

Why would they want to do anything to discourage someone paying $400 a night from doing something and allow people who aren’t paying Disney anything per night to do it for free? That doesn’t make sense. Perhaps if they didn’t allow non resort guests to park there, there wouldn’t be a shortage of spaces.
I swore I had read on these boards that they started turning ppl away who didn’t have reservations. I’ll have to see if I can find it.

ETA: I don’t know how to link it, but it’s a thread called “Disney to enforce parking fees”. It was reported that they weren’t letting ppl park who couldn’t prove that had either an ADR or a resort reservation.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked at my last stay at the Poly -- last July 3-5. I was told there was a parking fee, but as I just went over my bill, I wasn't charged it, either.
If you made your reservation prior to March 21st 2018, your fee was waived. If you made the reservation after March 21st, you were lucky. :)

Also, if you were staying under a convention rate last year, you wouldn’t have been charged the parking fee.

If you made your reservation prior to March 21st 2018, your fee was waived. If you made the reservation after March 21st, you were lucky. :)

Also, if you were staying under a convention rate last year, you wouldn’t have been charged the parking fee.
Oh mine could have been a convention b/c of the TA we use.

Oh mine could have been a convention b/c of the TA we use.
Yes.
I’m not sure if people who book with TA’s under convention rates for this year will also get their parking fees waived. I think the agreement was only until December 31st 2018. I’m not sure if that has been extended.

Guess I was lucky, because I made them in May. Nice to save a few bucks. I'm sure they got it back from me somehow :)

Yes.
I’m not sure if people who book with TA’s under convention rates for this year will also get their parking fees waived. I think the agreement was only until December 31st 2018. I’m not sure if that has been extended.
Good to know! We are flying this time considering if I do have to pay it’s more than the cost of one of our flights round trip.

Maybe they could have a separate visitors parking lot? Those who say they want to dine or shop can park there for a limited time while another larger area could be for overnight guests. Parking lots can be adjusted for overflows. The guard would simply say go right in one case and go left in the other. Maybe this is too complicated? Or maybe parking fees have nothing to do with crowded parking lots.

Would have been nice if they actually were attempting to fix the problem, hey?

I’m assuming what they really didn’t want to do was discourage day guests from coming and spending money at the resorts. My guess is the bulk of overnight guests are not deterred by a parking fee and it isn’t much of a habit changer for the majority.

Yeah, I mean they got a lot of push back from it, and i mean a lot, but they just trudged through it.

I had some issues yesterday and I had to escalate within Disney to get my issue resolved, but i can tell you front line managers are no longer worried about the guest experience and how to fix issues. I mentioned that because i noticed that with the parking fees when they first came out. I've never seen disney stand their ground on something as hard as they did with the parking fees. They aren't worried about the over night guests that literally give them thousands of dollars, they're worried about the guests that come into the resort that might spend a hundred bucks or maybe a little more.

I have never rented a car so I can say for sure how they track it. From what I have read here, people are getting charged when security is scanning your magic band. I have also seen reports where people have taken an uber and were charged because security takes the guests name at the gate. Were you staying at the poly on a dvc reservation? If not, I think you just got some pixie dust.

I was charged for parking at Pop when I'd never entered the resort in a car at all (only resort buses).

Maybe they could have a separate visitors parking lot? Those who say they want to dine or shop can park there for a limited time while another larger area could be for overnight guests. Parking lots can be adjusted for overflows. The guard would simply say go right in one case and go left in the other. Maybe this is too complicated? Or maybe parking fees have nothing to do with crowded parking lots.
Frustrating if off-site people are parking in the monorail resorts to skirt the parking fees at the park. And on top of that they get the better transportation to the parks, compared to values and moderates. If Disney really wanted to fix it to maintain free parking for dining and shopping, they could have a separate lot and/or timed tag (say 3 hours max). I drive sometimes so this new parking fee has aggravated me. I have also weighed the difference of staying off-site and paying the difference to park at the parks, so it doesn't give me warm and fuzzies to know that Disney is looking the other way, if this is the case.

Maybe they could have a separate visitors parking lot? Those who say they want to dine or shop can park there for a limited time while another larger area could be for overnight guests.

Wait a minute, I love that idea.

enhance

Yeah, I mean they got a lot of push back from it, and i mean a lot, but they just trudged through it.

I had some issues yesterday and I had to escalate within Disney to get my issue resolved, but i can tell you front line managers are no longer worried about the guest experience and how to fix issues. I mentioned that because i noticed that with the parking fees when they first came out. I've never seen disney stand their ground on something as hard as they did with the parking fees. They aren't worried about the over night guests that literally give them thousands of dollars, they're worried about the guests that come into the resort that might spend a hundred bucks or maybe a little more.

What was the end result with your FP issue?

What was the end result with your FP issue?

I’m still confused, I was told by one person that if you’re an AP holder, you can only have 7 days of fast passes at any give time, even though that’s not what the website says, it says within 30 days. My trips are more than 30 days a part, but less than 60 days. That same person told me that the 7 day rule was only true for AP holders. I escalated. Supervisor told me the 7 day rule was true for all ticket holders unless you’re staying onsite, while we are for our june and august trips, we aren’t for our april trip. I was really upset by this, I told them that with 3 trips booked, I felt like I was being punished instead of being rewarded for making numerous trips. She said that wasn’t true..but whatever.

No one budged, they just said that was the rule and it is what it is. So I emailed someone inside of disney. Within 3 hours someone called me and informed me there is a glitch in the system that should be corrected by tomorrow and there is no real 7 day rule (really confused), but they went ahead and manually booked the fast passes that we were missing.

DW and I discussed it last night, we were perplexed by how it all went down, the people that I talked to in the AP department made me feel like I was doing something wrong and was out of line for booking fast passes for the days I’m going to be onsite, the customer service from that department was horrible. However, at the end of the day, Disney did fix the problem.

I’m still confused, I was told by one person that if you’re an AP holder, you can only have 7 days of fast passes at any give time, even though that’s not what the website says, it says within 30 days. My trips are more than 30 days a part, but less than 60 days. That same person told me that the 7 day rule was only true for AP holders. I escalated. Supervisor told me the 7 day rule was true for all ticket holders unless you’re staying onsite, while we are for our june and august trips, we aren’t for our april trip. I was really upset by this, I told them that with 3 trips booked, I felt like I was being punished instead of being rewarded for making numerous trips. She said that wasn’t true..but whatever.

No one budged, they just said that was the rule and it is what it is. So I emailed someone inside of disney. Within 3 hours someone called me and informed me there is a glitch in the system that should be corrected by tomorrow and there is no real 7 day rule (really confused), but they went ahead and manually booked the fast passes that we were missing.

DW and I discussed it last night, we were perplexed by how it all went down, the people that I talked to in the AP department made me feel like I was doing something wrong and was out of line for booking fast passes for the days I’m going to be onsite, the customer service from that department was horrible. However, at the end of the day, Disney did fix the problem.

Wow.

Sounds like the glitch is CM training.

Glad it worked out in the end.

You still don't pay for parking at the parks if you're a Disney resort guest. They didn't at all fix the issue of day guests parking at resorts to avoid paying for parking at the parks by starting to charge overnight parking at the resorts.

No, they didn't. They tried to do this when the added the parking shacks to the resorts. And people realized all they need to do is say "I'm going shopping, dining, meeting some friends, etc and they will let them in to park. If it's "full", then they will say "I'm going to valet park". Hell, there are websites saying park at Disney Springs where it's free, giving the readers directions to the buses for the theme parks.

All this does is make up for lost parking income at the parks and keep some people off the roads.

First off, nowhere did I ever compare a Disney resort to a Motel 6 and/or a Days Inn. Talk about to twisting something in an attempt to make your case.

You had written
Disney's parking situation is not remotely the same as a hotel on International Drive. To compare the two is ridiculous.

The only hotels on I-Drive that don't come close to comparing to Disney are those north of Pointe Orlando, which include Days Inn, Motel 6, Hampton, Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, La Quinta, etc. Very few of them are even close to a Disney resort. The Rosen Plaza changes $22 a car for self parking. And they are on the low end. I think the Hyatt was $30 a night. And don't forget the 2 across I-4 from Disney, the Marriott World center and the Gaylord Palms. Even the Doubletree SeaWorld includes it's parking fee in it's resort fee and everyone who stays there pays that regardless of driving there. There are 6 Disney owned convention hotels on Disney property along with the Swan, Dolphin, Four Seasons, Hilton (DS), Buena Vista Palace, The B, The Hilton & Waldorf (Bonnet Creek). All these charge for parking. Lowes hotels at Universal charge $22 a night to park. A Day guest for 5 min to 30 min pays $10. After that, a Day Guest pays $45. Shades of Green at Disney charges $9 per night per vehicle for Self-parking and Valet parking is $14 per night per vehicle (and your federal taxes make it that low). Disney owned hotels at Disneyland charge $20 for self-parking and $30 for valet. How can anyone say this isn't an "Industry Standard"?

How do I know about the Orlando hotels and parking? I organized a national convention in 2017 with 2,500 attendees. The first thing we negotiated out was the resort fees. The 2nd was the parking fees for self parking and reduced fees for Valet parking. A lot of Disney consumers/guests do not realize the amount of conventions that are held on Disney property every year. We wanted Disney/Coronado. Other parts of the contract were out of reach for us.

A lot of people feel because they have space they shouldn't charge for parking. Why? Everyone else charges for it, why not Disney? No, I don't like it either. But as I said I saw this coming the day they started charging for Valet. I'm not surprised they did it, I'm surprised it took them so long to start it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter