This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

Royal Caribbean is forced to respond to Chloe Wiegand's family's lawsuit:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ped-toddler-death-cruise-ship-aware-open.html
"The grandfather of tragic Chloe Wiegand was 'unquestionably' aware that he was dangling the toddler out of an open window before she plunged to her death from the 11th deck of a cruise ship, a new court filing alleges.

Royal Caribbean says Salvatore Anello would only have had to use his 'basic senses' to appreciate the danger this posed to 18-month-old Chloe, who died instantly when she landed on a concrete dock in San Juan, Puerto Rico on July 7.

'There was no 'hidden danger - Mr Anello knew the window was open,' the cruise operator boldly states in documents obtained exclusively by DailyMail.com.

Filing a motion to dismiss the case on Wednesday, Royal Caribbean LTD said it could no longer 'limit its expressions to those of sympathy and support.'

'After months of bearing false and inaccurate accusations, from the Wiegands' attorneys through the press, RCL now faces the legally mandated task of responding to a lawsuit the Wiegands' attorneys did not file in good faith,' it charges.

'This is not a case of an unknowing child approaching an open window and falling out because the window was defective or improperly positioned.

'Rather, this is a case about an adult man, Chloe's step grandfather who, as surveillance footage unquestionably confirms: (1) walked up to a window he was aware was open; (2) leaned his upper body out the window for several seconds; (3) reached down and picked up Chloe; and (4) then held her by and out of the open window for thirty four seconds before he lost his grip and dropped Chloe out of the window.

'His actions, which no reasonable person could have foreseen, were reckless and irresponsible and the sole reason why Chloe is no longer with her parents.'

I rewatched the video again from the daily mail link above.. maybe it was better quality or I missed it a while back. but I clearly saw him leaning out, THEN picking her up... made my stomach ill. I like RCLs statement...

another point I noticed... those two larger black men.. ones in black/white sweatshirts.. Man are they lucky they walked away right before this happened... At least they were sparred having to directly witness this as at the beginning of the video they were right there, watching the video I was like walk faster away, knowing what was about to happen.... I was feeling bad for all those people around there, having to also be involved with this as witnesses at least to the afterwards part. This was so sad.. I really wonder if Grandpa has some mental episode.. I cannot fathom him wanting to do this.. I am sure if this was intentional, the daughter would have distanced herself from him as one does have hunches. Had he been intoxicated, this can be somewhat proven by his seapass. Granted there are other ways of getting drunk on cruises besides one own seapass.

Last edited:

Royal Caribbean is forced to respond to Chloe Wiegand's family's lawsuit:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ped-toddler-death-cruise-ship-aware-open.html
"The grandfather of tragic Chloe Wiegand was 'unquestionably' aware that he was dangling the toddler out of an open window before she plunged to her death from the 11th deck of a cruise ship, a new court filing alleges.

Royal Caribbean says Salvatore Anello would only have had to use his 'basic senses' to appreciate the danger this posed to 18-month-old Chloe, who died instantly when she landed on a concrete dock in San Juan, Puerto Rico on July 7.

'There was no 'hidden danger - Mr Anello knew the window was open,' the cruise operator boldly states in documents obtained exclusively by DailyMail.com.

Filing a motion to dismiss the case on Wednesday, Royal Caribbean LTD said it could no longer 'limit its expressions to those of sympathy and support.'

'After months of bearing false and inaccurate accusations, from the Wiegands' attorneys through the press, RCL now faces the legally mandated task of responding to a lawsuit the Wiegands' attorneys did not file in good faith,' it charges.

'This is not a case of an unknowing child approaching an open window and falling out because the window was defective or improperly positioned.

'Rather, this is a case about an adult man, Chloe's step grandfather who, as surveillance footage unquestionably confirms: (1) walked up to a window he was aware was open; (2) leaned his upper body out the window for several seconds; (3) reached down and picked up Chloe; and (4) then held her by and out of the open window for thirty four seconds before he lost his grip and dropped Chloe out of the window.

'His actions, which no reasonable person could have foreseen, were reckless and irresponsible and the sole reason why Chloe is no longer with her parents.'
Good for RCI.

"Let's go to the VIDEO" What more needs to be said, shown, explained ??? I do indeed have at least 2 functioning brains cells and both of them are telling me that ALL FAMILY MEMBERS are in denial.

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY and the consequences that will follow. JMHO

Good for RCI.

At some point you knew they would have to start defending themselves, and I think they have handled this extremely well.

And WOW, 34 seconds. :sad2: You don't need to hear anymore than that. He knew that window was open. If he is dumb enough to not take the plea deal, then I hope he does get 3 years behind bars because he needs to accept responsibility.

I think RC has handled this very well. It’s a horrible tragedy, but they are in no way at fault. Their statement is worded perfectly. They have expressed sympathy for the family, remained quiet when it was appropriate to do so, and now they’re defending themselves as they should!

I only got as far as the grandfather leaning out of the window. I'm not on the jury, so that was enough for me.

Best thing now would be to resolve things quickly. I'm not sure what the final penalty will be for the grandfather, but for the family's sake it's best just to wrap it up and let the healing begin.

I only got as far as the grandfather leaning out of the window. I'm not on the jury, so that was enough for me.

Best thing now would be to resolve things quickly. I'm not sure what the final penalty will be for the grandfather, but for the family's sake it's best just to wrap it up and let the healing begin.
It was similar with me. After having seen him suss out the situation with his torso over the window ledge, it was clear he knew the window was open. Incredibly, he then immediately turned around and picked up Chloe. I stopped the video at that. If it shows her actually falling, well, I’m glad not to have that image imprinted in my mind and one certainly didn’t need to see it to “connect the dots”.

I don't know much about cruise lines, but I think RCI has been well served by whatever lawyers and PR firms they have working for them. How painful for them to have to keep quiet for MONTHS while the family painted them so horribly, but they did it well. And, even this statement is well worded. They are 100% correct, and the family needs to dismiss their lawsuit post haste.

It was similar with me. After having seen him suss out the situation with his torso over the window ledge, it was clear he knew the window was open. Incredibly, he then immediately turned around and picked up Chloe. I stopped the video at that. If it shows her actually falling, well, I’m glad not to have that image imprinted in my mind and one certainly didn’t need to see it to “connect the dots”.

FYI, it didn't. But you are correct, you saw enough to know he leaned his body out.

They pegged it to 34 seconds. With all the cameras they have, I am sure they have proof he put her out of the window. I am thankful that video wasn't leaked. What is out is plenty. :sad1:

There are likely videos from outside the ship, for security purposes. I don't want to see those. The videos in the Daily Mail article clearly show him putting her out the window--that's horrifying enough for me.

Going back to the title of this thread, that article made me think:
This is just so sad -- this whole situation continues to be so, so sad and never seems to get better.
WHY would someone do this? -- The grandfather still doesn't seem to have any kind of honest answer.
I don't call it "playing" -- "(3) reached down and picked up Chloe; and (4) then held her by and out of the open window for thirty four seconds before he lost his grip and dropped Chloe out of the window." -- I don't know how any reasonable, intelligent person could call that "playing" in any sense of the word -- 34 horrible seconds of "playing." My heart just aches...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter