This is such a weird feeling

DiannaVM

DIS Veteran
Well, technically speaking my trip is not a "solo" trip, but pretty close to it. I will be going to the World in August with my sister and her friend. I kinda decided to tag along at the last minute after my family gave me an AP for my birthday which was very nice.

Because her friend is getting in to Orlando a day after us and leaves a day before, my sister and I have made plans for the day we get there and the day we leave. There will be two park days that the three of us do together, but the other two days I'll be pretty much on my own since they will be going to concerts and stuff. My plan is to take it easy and relax (not try to do everything in one day), but it just feels so weird to be making reservations for one and FPs for one lol. Its not necessarily a bad feeling, kind of exhilarating actually since I rarely ever do anything by myself (especially vacation), but its still odd not to be doing reservations, etc. for two.

Hopefully I won't chicken out and ditch the parks to be holed up in the hotel or try to follow them around Disney Springs and stuff, but I anticipate it should be fun. A little hotter than I would like, but fun regardless :)

I have never done a solo trip to WDW, planning to possibly do one next June, but I did end up on a solo day trip at Disneyland (long story). It was spur of the moment but honestly, so fun! They had (and still have) paper FPs so I didn't have to reserve those but it was surprisingly relaxing and fun to do stuff on my own. I did what I wanted, whenever I wanted, however many times that I felt like (or reasonably could haha), ate where and when I wanted...it was really freeing. Please don't stay holed up in your hotel!! I promise you will have fun! And hey if you don't, you can leave when you want too! I think you would be sad to miss the parks and try to follow them around, or stay in the hotel, and you'd regret not going to the parks, at least I would. I say give it a shot and I bet you will love it! I was skeptical about a solo day trip but after doing one I have a lot more confidence to go alone in the future now.

ETA: Also when people found out I was alone, many of them invited me to ride along with their family or join their group for the day! I was really surprised at the inclusion I felt from total strangers. I declined, since I only had one day and was rushing around to see everything, but I found it really sweet.

I have never done a solo trip to WDW, planning to possibly do one next June, but I did end up on a solo day trip at Disneyland (long story). It was spur of the moment but honestly, so fun! They had (and still have) paper FPs so I didn't have to reserve those but it was surprisingly relaxing and fun to do stuff on my own. I did what I wanted, whenever I wanted, however many times that I felt like (or reasonably could haha), ate where and when I wanted...it was really freeing. Please don't stay holed up in your hotel!! I promise you will have fun! And hey if you don't, you can leave when you want too! I think you would be sad to miss the parks and try to follow them around, or stay in the hotel, and you'd regret not going to the parks, at least I would. I say give it a shot and I bet you will love it! I was skeptical about a solo day trip but after doing one I have a lot more confidence to go alone in the future now.

ETA: Also when people found out I was alone, many of them invited me to ride along with their family or join their group for the day! I was really surprised at the inclusion I felt from total strangers. I declined, since I only had one day and was rushing around to see everything, but I found it really sweet.
Luckily I have been to WDW enough times in the last two years that I feel fairly comfortable and confident navigating stuff on my own. My biggest worry has always been that sometimes I suffer from anxiety episodes even when I am having fun, so I think what scares me most is having an episode while I am by myself. But I also know most of my triggers so as long as I avoid things like shows that are in theatres, anything more intense than SDMT and extremely long lines, I should be OK. I will just do all of those things when I am with them. I am also planning on taking medication with me lol, so that should be a big help.

All in all I look forward to it though. As you say it will be nice to do things when I want and how I want and not worry about attitudes or someone else being tired to continue or not ready to leave when i am.

Oh I am a big anxiety sufferer too so I completely understand your worries. I think it's great though that you're being proactive in managing your anxieties around visiting certain things, so that can only help the trip! I always have my medicine on me just in case. Even just having it on me makes me feel better because I know if anxiety strikes out of the blue I have my help ready if needed. I always feel "safe" at Disney because maybe I've been really lucky, but in all my trips I've met only understanding and caring CMs so I feel like if I had an anxiety attack they would be kind and courteous in helping if I needed them, like to find a quiet place to go or such. I felt very faint once in front of Hall of Presidents and the CM was very courteous as I sat inside in the air and continued to check on me until I felt better (I didn't think First Aid was necessary, I knew I just needed sugar/a snack). I am so excited for you!! I think you will have a great time, and happy almost-second wedding anniversary!!

ETA: I actually almost had an anxiety attack on EE, and I was a single rider with a very fun mom next to me and she held my hand! It really helped calm me down and I told her teenage sons they have a kick butt mom hahaha

Oh I am a big anxiety sufferer too so I completely understand your worries. I think it's great though that you're being proactive in managing your anxieties around visiting certain things, so that can only help the trip! I always have my medicine on me just in case. Even just having it on me makes me feel better because I know if anxiety strikes out of the blue I have my help ready if needed. I always feel "safe" at Disney because maybe I've been really lucky, but in all my trips I've met only understanding and caring CMs so I feel like if I had an anxiety attack they would be kind and courteous in helping if I needed them, like to find a quiet place to go or such. I felt very faint once in front of Hall of Presidents and the CM was very courteous as I sat inside in the air and continued to check on me until I felt better (I didn't think First Aid was necessary, I knew I just needed sugar/a snack). I am so excited for you!! I think you will have a great time, and happy almost-second wedding anniversary!!

ETA: I actually almost had an anxiety attack on EE, and I was a single rider with a very fun mom next to me and she held my hand! It really helped calm me down and I told her teenage sons they have a kick butt mom hahaha

Lol indeed! EE and RNC are two rides I have always heavily debated going on so if I ever did them I would need a family member like my husband or sister with me to help me through it, though like you I have sometimes found some very understanding people to sit next to and ease my worries. And about the CMs, my hope would always be that they will go above and beyond (never had a bad experience with them, if anything some have been underwhelming), but knowing where I can "escape" to is great and like you said, just knowing I have my medication on me makes me feel better. I am also a pack mule at the parks lol, so knowing I have back up chargers for my phone, candy in case I need a sugar rush, a bottle of water, money and of course snacks for whenever I can't get to purchase one quick enough all help me manage my anxiety. Like I said, I almost feel dumb but when we were at WDW in October, during the Beauty and the Beast show I started to feel a bit anxious. And also Soarin is a ride I love, but I always seem to be on that fine line of feeling Ok and feeling anxious when I go on it (it's not a fear of heights, but more of a worry that I can't really "escape" of O needed to). Ironically enough though my least worry is getting stuck in a ride. In October we tried riding FEA before park closing and while we were in line the ride broke down. When they came on the PA saying that CMs would come get the guests off the boats my mom freaked right out and refused to ride it once it started working again because she was afraid of it breaking down while she was on it.

Thank you for the anniversary wish! I can barely believe it's already been two years, and yet it feels like a lifetime (in a good way lol). I only wish my DH could've done this trip with me. I know he is disappointed not to be able to come but we are planning a big trip to WDW in February so we are trying to save up his vacation time.

Hopefully I won't chicken out and ditch the parks to be holed up in the hotel or try to follow them around Disney Springs and stuff, but I anticipate it should be fun. A little hotter than I would like, but fun regardless :)

Definitely give it a shot! I was pretty nervous too the first time I went solo but I had a blast! I think it took me a couple trips before I really felt 100% comfortable but I had no one to go to Disney with & I was not going to let that deter me from taking advantage of my AP! I am now completely comfortable going solo whenever I want but I also enjoy trips with friends & family when they can make it. And this coming from someone also with anxiety issues. :)

Have an awesome trip!!

It is a great way to ease into travelling alone, you will probably love it! I moved to the UK for 2 years and travelled to Turkey and Egypt solo, and had the best time, meeting new people and seeing new sights. Not to mention seeing a lot of the UK on trips. The best thing about being solo is that you always get to do what YOU want!

Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised how well people in the parks treat solo people. I was. As someone who usually feels terribly awkward in crowds, WDW was totally comfortable.

I think going solo the first time feels a little odd, but I found it to be so much fun. A different kind of fun from traveling with others, but nevertheless, FUN.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts