"This is the BEST GIFT I'VE EVER GOTTEN!" yells my 88 yr old mama

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
...from the other side of the room while I listened 50 miles away.

Yall.

The amazon echo SHOW is the most amazing, terrific, fantastic gift for advanced in age senior citizens.

In case you aren't aware of this amazing item, it's a video screen that is hooked up to your wifi, your cell contacts and your amazon account. I bought two, one for my house and one for my parent's house. I associated both to my account, my cell number but made sure all the numbers my parents would ever possibly want to call were also in my phone (they were anyway, relatives, pastor, doctors, friends).

I hooked my machine up, linked it to my phone and wifi, named it, downloaded the app, then hooked up my parents' machine, named it on my app, linked it to their wifi and we were set! It was easy peasy!

The first day, my 87-year old Daddy says, "Alexa, call (and inserts my name)" and we have a video visit. THEY LOVED IT SO MUCH!!

Then, if I'm not home, it rings on my cell phone and I can video with them that way. I can show them the dogs, places I've been, other people I'm with. They love this so much!

The best part is, if one were to fall down, they can call out 'Alexa, call (insert my name)" And I can know there's an issue right away.

Just the other night I was able to visually guide my Daddy through a medical thing he had to do and it went great.

They call out 'Play Elvis Presley music' or 'Tell me about Garth Brooks", or "what's the weather?'. This has been the very best gift I've ever given them!

Yesterday, they said they had missed a speech on tv and my sister asked Alexa to show the video. There it was.

Truly a great thing for older folks!

...from the other side of the room while I listened 50 miles away.

Yall.

The amazon echo SHOW is the most amazing, terrific, fantastic gift for advanced in age senior citizens.

In case you aren't aware of this amazing item, it's a video screen that is hooked up to your wifi, your cell contacts and your amazon account. I bought two, one for my house and one for my parent's house. I associated both to my account, my cell number but made sure all the numbers my parents would ever possibly want to call were also in my phone (they were anyway, relatives, pastor, doctors, friends).

I hooked my machine up, linked it to my phone and wifi, named it, downloaded the app, then hooked up my parents' machine, named it on my app, linked it to their wifi and we were set! It was easy peasy!

The first day, my 87-year old Daddy says, "Alexa, call (and inserts my name)" and we have a video visit. THEY LOVED IT SO MUCH!!

Then, if I'm not home, it rings on my cell phone and I can video with them that way. I can show them the dogs, places I've been, other people I'm with. They love this so much!

The best part is, if one were to fall down, they can call out 'Alexa, call (insert my name)" And I can know there's an issue right away.

Just the other night I was able to visually guide my Daddy through a medical thing he had to do and it went great.

They call out 'Play Elvis Presley music' or 'Tell me about Garth Brooks", or "what's the weather?'. This has been the very best gift I've ever given them!

Yesterday, they said they had missed a speech on tv and my sister asked Alexa to show the video. There it was.

Truly a great thing for older folks!

Made me smile! So lovely Hisgirl. Enjoy.

That's awesome! Glad they liked it! And I'm sure it makes you feel better that they can reach out from anywhere in the house at any time.

Two years ago, my sisters and I split the cost of a new iPhone for our mom, who always had a pay-as-you-go flip phone. She would NEVER spend that much on a phone.
But we could tell it bothered her that we would see photos of people/things that she could not, etc., she felt left out.
We also knew it would be easier to use than what she had - even though she thought it would be harder to use.
We loaded all the family phone numbers ahead of time. The first night we just worked on texting and receiving texts, and calls. Within days, we helped her with the camera.
In a couple weeks she figured out how to use some of the apps on her own. She uses it for everything now. She really loves it!

Just to add - I've heard concerns that Alexa has the potential to "listen in" to households, how do people feel about that?

I do like the fact that, especially for an elderly person or someone who falls, calling out can get help right away. Does anyone know if this has or will impact sales from the "I've fallen and I can't get up" systems? We looked into one recently for my mother and it had this feature where she could call out and get help, as the system was attached to the phone line (no wifi in her house). Ultimately, though, she didn't want it.

Just to add - I've heard concerns that Alexa has the potential to "listen in" to households, how do people feel about that?

I do like the fact that, especially for an elderly person or someone who falls, calling out can get help right away. Does anyone know if this has or will impact sales from the "I've fallen and I can't get up" systems? We looked into one recently for my mother and it had this feature where she could call out and get help, as the system was attached to the phone line (no wifi in her house). Ultimately, though, she didn't want it.
I was reading up on this as I got a free Echo Dot when I purchased my Ring Doorbell. To my understanding what it does is listen for your voice then sends those snippets “Alexa turn on whatever” to the cloud/servers that then finds the answer or does the task. It’s not “listening in” it’s “listening for” if that makes sense. You have to trigger the device with a request or command. The “drop in” feature which is what Hisgirl is using with her mom is what I have more of a concern about. I would use it in a case like hers or here in the house as an intercom system but no way would I allow it between mine and other households.

My grandmother had one of those systems, she didn’t want it, hated it and never used it. We’ll never know if she actually tried to use it the day she passed but knowing her I suspect not. I think if she had something like this that went directly to myself, my dad or great aunt she may have. If you think it’s something your mother would utilize I wouldn’t hesitate to get it especially if she is against the other systems. One thing- it will not dial 911- but if she can contact you then at least you can.

@Hisgirl That’s really awesome! I’m glad they have embraced the technology and are so taken with it.

I had to re-check who posted this & look at the post count. It sounds like an ad lol.

Hahaha, sorry about that. I just love it so much that my parents love it sooo much. Daddy video calls me now every morning, (something I know a lot of folks wouldn't like) and it's comforting to see them both. I've found that I use it as a reminder for myself when a thought runs through my head in the middle of busy times and I call out for her to remind me to do such and such.

As for the privacy issue, I think we gave that up when we started using smart phones. I saw a woman in a store recently and spoke to her, thinking she was someone I recognized and later that day she was listed as 'someone I may know' as a potential friend on facebook. I realized then that my phone and her phone must have 'talked'. Yikes.

Thanks for sharing. I would love to get this for my mom. Her and technology are not friends at all!

Hopefully the price will come down soon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter