This is the Cheesiest Report Ever- Nov 2018 Deluxe Dining Report-updated 12/30 Mama Melrose

lahafundido-jpg.367812
Is this report about cheese or what? So, Jason ordered the Queso Fundido. He was expecting this to be thin cheese dip with chopped up chorizo, peppers, and onions but instead he got a dish full of stretchy, chewy cheese. I didn't see the problem with this as he could make his own little quesadillas with the tortillas, but he thought it would have been better as a dip.

I'm with you! Stretchy chewy cheese....yum! :)

If you can't eat ant salt, don't read my Tequila lunch Review when I get to it in like two months. Shaun ate something way grosser than that.

Sorry you visit there was just ok. Being full totally makes yummy food less yummy as you can't enjoy it all. Those short ribs look good!

If you can't eat ant salt, don't read my Tequila lunch Review when I get to it in like two months. Shaun ate something way grosser than that.

Sorry you visit there was just ok. Being full totally makes yummy food less yummy as you can't enjoy it all. Those short ribs look good!
If you tell me it was a worm, I'm out, ha! Nothing at work bothers me in the way of blood and unpleasantries, but ever since I saw Lost Boys as a kid and they turned the rice to maggots, I've been a little food squeamish

If you tell me it was a worm, I'm out, ha! Nothing at work bothers me in the way of blood and unpleasantries, but ever since I saw Lost Boys as a kid and they turned the rice to maggots, I've been a little food squeamish
It was not a worm!

We just may be sisters or at least woman bonded by Disney, now history, and husbands named Jason :-). We went to see a show at Fords theater last night and had time to walk through the museum first. To my surprise Casey enjoyed it, but she kept wondering when Abraham Lincoln was going to show up in the play (it was a Christmas Carol so she was in for a bit of disappointment).

Sorry to hear La Hacienda was a bit of a bust. We've never tried it, but I'm a sucker for any meal with a margarita and queso. Though is it strange that I am now oddly intrigued to try ant salt??? Maybe we aren't sisters after all :P

Your food looked good. I've never eaten in the Mexico Pavilion, the menus just aren't to my liking. I like basic tacos or burritos so these places I think are too fancy styled Mexican food for me. I like reading Dining reports there though so I can see what it's like

lahahorchata-jpg.367813

Jason had the Horchata- tequila, rum, Fireball, and cinnamon powder. This was like a spicy liquid rice pudding. He liked it.
That sounds gross to me... Fireball and cream... blek...

lahamargarita-jpg.367814

I ordered the Pina (with a ~) Loca Margarita--I was looking forward to this nice concoction of “Gracias a Dios” espadín blanco mezcal, maraschino cherry liqueur, pineapple, fresh lime juice, mint cordial, and black ant salt rim (description from Disney website). Now, wait, does black ant salt actually contain ants? Apparently, yes. Nope. I ain't doing it. I know, you're thinking I'm being silly. And, probably, but I kept picturing little ant bodies pasted to my lips, and I just couldn't get past it. Or, some of them would fall into my margarita and float like the Dead Sea. Nope. So, I asked for this without any salt. I just pretended I didn't like salt without saying anything.
This sounds much better! But that is def not that drink!

he server if he was sure that was the Crazy Pineapple and he said yes. I continued to drink it, but I just never got any flavors listed in the menu. Whatever it was, I didn't really care for it. When we got the receipt, it was listed as a different margarita from what I ordered and with a different price.
Sounds like a lazy server! I mean it should proably have been a little red with maraschino cherry liquier, right?

Thank you for your review. This is the way we vacation at Disney too - lots of days and lots of food

Thanks for your review. My husband and I are headed to Disney the week of January 5th - 12th.

Too bad about the Tonga Toast. We are eating at the Kona Cafe for breakfast before our 90 minute drive back home. I will avoid it.

We loved 1900 Park Fare - we ate here our last visit (2013). Great food and good character interaction.

We are eating at La Hacienda this trip and loved it last time.

Our dining plans: T-Rex (my husband's request), BOG for breakfast (we did not like it last time for dinner), Art Smith's Home Coming, Fronteria Cocina, La Hacienda, Via Napoli, Tutto Italia, Hoop-de-doo.

Ok I’m all caught up! We are planning a trip in May and have the DDP I’m so excited to read all your reviews keep writing!

Don't Yak on My Yeti- Day Three, Yak and Yeti

I'm so behind. Darn holiday season. I tell you all right now, I'm just not ready. I didn't get my tree put up. I have a few minor decorations. Zero presents wrapped. They're all bought, though, so I guess that's a plus. I should be doing something productive, but it's much more fun to update while watching my husband trip over the dog. Priorities.

November 3rd, Yak and Yeti

Our glorious chilly morning started out in Pandora where we had a FP for Na'vi River Journey. We did get in the standby line for FOP, though, and the 90 minute wait was so worth it. I've never felt so immersed in an attraction. It was exhilarating, and I couldn't wait to do it again. Our adrenaline coursing through our veins, we then enjoyed a slow journey along the river with the Na'vi. What a beautiful ride! I know people feel like it's a bit of a letdown, but I really loved it. It was the perfect way to wind down after FOP.

Being an Avatar is hard work, though, and I was hungry for a pretzel and some cheese. Now, I thought that I got one alone and my husband picked at mine, but he just informed me when we went over prices that he had one of his own. I don't remember this at all, and my memory is a little better than his so, for now, I'm going with he stole some of mine. Hmph.

mickeypretzel.png mickeypretzelcheese.jpg
Cheese!

The pretzel, as usual, was a good snack. It was hot and soft, and I love terrible processed cheese in a cup. We didn't have anywhere to sit, but this nice elderly couple invited us to share their table. We chatted with them for a while before we all went our separate ways.

We tried our luck (badly) at the safari, saw no gorillas at the falls, and narrowly escaped the expedition with the yeti before our lunch ADR at Yak and Yeti.

So, before we went on the DxDP, I purchased the Landry's card to use at Yak & Yeti. Since we went on the dining plan, I did not use it. In retrospect, I probably should have paid oop for this meal and used the credit on something else, but I struggled to fill 27 credits so we just put it on the plan.

YakYetidrink.jpg
Okay, this is where I failed. I can't remember what this was, but I *think* it's the Big Bamboo and we both got it. I failed to write it down because I was so tired that evening. Sorry, folks. The menu says this would be coconut rum, Cristal rum, banana liqueur, and fruit juices. That sounds about right. I don't think I finished mine, though, because I was so parched I just wanted water.

YYEggRolls.jpg
These were my pork egg rolls, and I enjoyed them. They were crispy like an egg roll should be, and the filling was uniform and hot.

YYFirecrackershrimp.jpg
Jason had the Firecracker shrimp, but he didn't care for it. He said it tasted like buffalo sauce, which he doesn't really like. I'm not sure if he was anticipating more of a sweet and spicy shrimp or what, but he should have just gone with another appetizer.

YYTeriyakichicken.jpg
We both had the Teriyaki Chicken, which we had never had before. So, lets start right to left. The chicken was delicious. I love grilled chicken with teriyaki so long as the sauce doesn't overpower it, which it did not. The skewer with the pineapple, onions, and peppers was also grilled perfectly. The rice was seasoned well, and paired nicely with the sweetness of the sauce. Okay, now, cut off the left side of the plate and the meal is complete. The vegetables on the left side just weren't good. We like our veggies dead and with some flavor. If you like them to still have a snap and raw taste, these would be perfectly to your liking. Just a preference.

YYWontons.jpg
We both had the famous pineapple cheesecake wontons for dessert. While I love the wontons with the creamy filling, they were a little overdone. Actually, I would have loved this dessert with just the fruit, yogurt sauce, and ice cream. Grilled pineapple is a wonderful dessert within itself, and toss on a little of that sauce. Yum!

We have eaten at Y&Y several times, and while I think it's the best TS at AK, I'm kind of over it. If we absolutely need to eat somewhere at the park and must do a TS, I'm fine with it, but I can take it or leave it. I'd rather go to Flame Tree Barbecue, honestly.

Total spent:
$14.40 on pretzels--I guess he was right--2 snacks.
$117.08 + gratuity
Cheese Count: 10

Immediately following- Star Wars Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party!

Aw, bummer that Yak & Yeti was just kind of "meh". I agree with you about grilled pineapple--it's delicious by itself! I would definitely be able to make a dessert out of it by itself! :)

May the Desserts Be With You- Star Wars Dessert Party

Day Three Continued
This was Jason's huge surprise. I had somehow managed to keep my big mouth shut and not ruin it. When I told him about it, though, he said he had figured it out. Whomp whomp whomp.

That being said, it was still spectacular! No pun intended.

We left AK and headed back to the resort for a wardrobe change. When we arrived at Hollywood Studios, the CM told us that we could check in at 7:00 for our 8:30 party. I thought we could check in at 5:30 for our 7:00 party, but I was wrong. Tidbit kiddies: trust your instincts.

We headed over to Toy Story Land where we frolicked away precious time on SDD, Alien Swirling Saucers, and toy Story Mania. At 7:15, we checked in at the Launch Bay only ti discover we were one of the last parties to arrived. We could have checked in at 5:30. SERIOUSLY!

I should have gone with my gut. I should have said, nope, I will not be selfish and ride all the new attractions. We've explored the Launch Bay before, but if we had gone over there instead we wouldn't have been late for the party. I was fuming because I didn't want this to feel rushed. I had planned this out very meticulously as a surprise for my husband, and I wanted him to enjoy every minute of it.

So, we were seated at table 43 with our tablemates. Thankfully, two things were on our side. 1: our table was right by the buffet and 2: our tablemates were wonderful. They were close to us in age, and we just all hit it off instantly. They helped us figure out how to navigate the party. With less than an hour, we rushed through the line multiple times, piled up our plates and drinks, and sat down to devour what we had. Because of that, I felt like I really didn't taste much of what I was eating. I cannot tell you the names of much or even if I liked it, but I didn't really have anything unsavory. I know I didn't like the alcoholic choices, but they had plenty of juices, water, and sodas so I was fine.

SWpartydessert.jpg
Jason really liked the blue milk. One of those is a pumpkin cheesecake and the one above it is chocolate peanut butter. There's the dark chocolate truffle thing over there on the far left. Again, I don't know what anything tasted like. I was rushing.
swpartydessert2.jpg
I did like those herb marinated cheeses. We didn't eat dinner so having a few savory items was nice.
swpartydrinks.jpg
swpartydessert3.jpg
This was some kind of hot s'mores dessert with pretzels baked in and ice cream. There was also a cool nitro nutella station. I liked this.
swpartyfood.jpg
Mmm, humus and pita. Delicious. And more cheese!

After eating as quickly as possible, we met Kylo Ren, received our souvenirs and went out to watch the show. My husband said it was the coolest thing he had ever seen, and he wants to do it again. I totally would do it again, but I would plan better so that we would not be so rushed. That was the only part I didn't like. It was an extra expense so I wished we could have enjoyed it more, but the fact that Jason keeps talking about it lets me know it was totally a win.

Total party cost: $160
Cheese Count: 12

It was not a worm!
Well, now I'm really scared.

Joining in
Welcome!

We just may be sisters or at least woman bonded by Disney, now history, and husbands named Jason :-). We went to see a show at Fords theater last night and had time to walk through the museum first. To my surprise Casey enjoyed it, but she kept wondering when Abraham Lincoln was going to show up in the play (it was a Christmas Carol so she was in for a bit of disappointment).

Sorry to hear La Hacienda was a bit of a bust. We've never tried it, but I'm a sucker for any meal with a margarita and queso. Though is it strange that I am now oddly intrigued to try ant salt??? Maybe we aren't sisters after all :P
I'm glad Casey enjoyed it! I've been to Fords Theater, but it was for a retelling of that fateful night for Lincoln.

I kind of think you may like La Hacienda! Drinks, queso, spicy food. Eh?

Joining in. Love Chesse and Margaritas
Welcome! You'll find more cheese here!

Your food looked good. I've never eaten in the Mexico Pavilion, the menus just aren't to my liking. I like basic tacos or burritos so these places I think are too fancy styled Mexican food for me. I like reading Dining reports there though so I can see what it's like
I've officially tried all the menus in the Mexican Pavilion except for La Cava. I do still think La Hacienda is better than San Angel Inn, though. I'm with you, though, I do like the plain Mexican food, too.

That sounds gross to me... Fireball and cream... blek...

This sounds much better! But that is def not that drink!

Sounds like a lazy server! I mean it should proably have been a little red with maraschino cherry liquier, right?
I thought it should have had a little bit of a red tint, too, but he insisted it was correct. He was wrong, of course, but I wasn't going to have a tantrum about it.

Thank you for your review. This is the way we vacation at Disney too - lots of days and lots of food
Sounds perfect!

Thanks for your review. My husband and I are headed to Disney the week of January 5th - 12th.

Too bad about the Tonga Toast. We are eating at the Kona Cafe for breakfast before our 90 minute drive back home. I will avoid it.

We loved 1900 Park Fare - we ate here our last visit (2013). Great food and good character interaction.

We are eating at La Hacienda this trip and loved it last time.

Our dining plans: T-Rex (my husband's request), BOG for breakfast (we did not like it last time for dinner), Art Smith's Home Coming, Fronteria Cocina, La Hacienda, Via Napoli, Tutto Italia, Hoop-de-doo.
Your trip is so close! I hope you have a wonderful time!
Your list of plans looks good. Homecomin' is wonderful!

Ok I’m all caught up! We are planning a trip in May and have the DDP I’m so excited to read all your reviews keep writing!
Glad to have you! When are you going in May?

Aw, bummer that Yak & Yeti was just kind of "meh". I agree with you about grilled pineapple--it's delicious by itself! I would definitely be able to make a dessert out of it by itself! :)
I don't know. I've never felt like it was fantastic, but there aren't a lot of choices in the park. I wish they had put in a new TS in Pandora just for a little more variety, though the canteen fits in well with the theme.

Sorry to hear Yak N Yeti was a disappointment. We do love it, but it certainly does get a little bit repetitive. Of course I do love me the Landrys card, especially when its my birthday :-)

You have me so wanting to try the Star wars party. I know Jason would love it, but $50 for the kiddo seems insane.

I’ve tried the ant salt and didn’t care for it. I haven’t been to Yak and Yeti the last few trips because I cannot resist Nomad Lounge but was thinking I might give it another try. The Landry’s card is a good deal, when not on the dining plan. Argh on the dessert party check-in time! You’d think CMs would know this stuff. Glad you were able to salvage and enjoyed. I’m not a dessert person - are there enough savory options and the reserved space good enough to “justify” (using fuzzy Disney math, of course)? I love Star Wars and have been wondering about this party.

These were my pork egg rolls, and I enjoyed them. They were crispy like an egg roll should be, and the filling was uniform and hot.
These look delicious. I really liked this restaurant, but my Husband hated it so I have no idea when I'll ever get to go back there.

MMM this looks good!

We headed over to Toy Story Land where we frolicked away precious time on SDD, Alien Swirling Saucers, and toy Story Mania. At 7:15, we checked in at the Launch Bay only ti discover we were one of the last parties to arrived. We could have checked in at 5:30. SERIOUSLY!
That's really annoying that you were told one thing and it was really at 5:30pm that you could check in.

The food at the Dessert Party looked great. And maybe it was meant to be that you were late so you'd get the good table and table mates. It's good to know for the future that you can check in earlier and have more time to not rush.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter