This Is Us- Season 3

The idea that a one-off comment by an 11 y.o. to her aunt could become a political scandal is a bit of the "zebras not horses" effect this show seems to have on everyone...:rolleyes1

Not sure about the phone but I do know the stainless steel appliances in the Jack/Rebecca kitchen scene (which I haven't noticed before) are not period-appropriate. Odd because the show is usually really good at that kind of continuity. :confused3

I noticed something similar a few weeks ago with their coffee maker. It is a Mr. Coffee model that is sold today.

The idea that a one-off comment by an 11 y.o. to her aunt could become a political scandal is a bit of the "zebras not horses" effect this show seems to have on everyone...:rolleyes1

Not sure about the phone but I do know the stainless steel appliances in the Jack/Rebecca kitchen scene (which I haven't noticed before) are not period-appropriate. Odd because the show is usually really good at that kind of continuity. :confused3

You’re right, it’s probably nothing. I was just spitballing.

I wonder why they've gotten lazy? It seems like they were so careful at the beginning.

To give us something to talk about lol

Actually, since the kids were teens (17 perhaps since they were also doing college applications), it WAS period appropriate. Stainless was first introduced in the very late 80's, and became quite popular by the mid 90's. The house we bought in 1996 was outfitted with all stainless appliances, and it was built in 1994). The kids were born 1980 (which makes them 38 now), and therefore when they were 17, it would have been 1996-97.

I mentioned the phone because I remember that after 9/11 (which was 2001) I bought a new phone which was smaller than what I had in the past, because I wanted to make sure it would easily fit in my purse at all times. Up until that point, I had not been someone who had my phone with me all the time. It upset me to think that if I had been in a disaster like 9/11, I would not have had my phone with me. The phone that I bought at that time was not a flip phone, it was bigger. It seems to me that flip phones existed but were not super popular yet.

Maybe other people (who also were around back then) have a different recollection of cell phones around 1996-1997.

Actually, since the kids were teens (17 perhaps since they were also doing college applications), it WAS period appropriate. Stainless was first introduced in the very late 80's, and became quite popular by the mid 90's. The house we bought in 1996 was outfitted with all stainless appliances, and it was built in 1994). The kids were born 1980 (which makes them 38 now), and therefore when they were 17, it would have been 1996-97.

That must have been a regional thing then. I bought my house in 1994 and stainless was not an option, even in upgraded appliances. It was white, black, or "bisque."

I'm not betting boy/girl for KaToby's baby. I still don't think it's going to be that easy. I hope I'm wrong though. Having the baby would be too "happy ending" for this show. The show is heartwarming in so many ways, but mostly it's about how characters deal with the challenges in front of them. So losing the baby would be a huge challenge. I don't think they'll give them that happy ending.

I saw the actor that plays Toby on something this week.

He seemed to allude that it would be a happy ending with the baby. He was joking - well probably not really joking! - that the fans would be in an absolute uproar if they went another way.

I wasn't paying 100% attention to the interview. Hopefully I got the gist.

I mentioned the phone because I remember that after 9/11 (which was 2001) I bought a new phone which was smaller than what I had in the past, because I wanted to make sure it would easily fit in my purse at all times. Up until that point, I had not been someone who had my phone with me all the time. It upset me to think that if I had been in a disaster like 9/11, I would not have had my phone with me. The phone that I bought at that time was not a flip phone, it was bigger. It seems to me that flip phones existed but were not super popular yet.

Maybe other people (who also were around back then) have a different recollection of cell phones around 1996-1997.

The phone made me laugh. I remember the exact moment one of my friends pulled a cell phone out of her purse (flip). I was all what the **** is that? :rotfl::rotfl2:

Since I had such an extreme reaction it had to be early in its release. It was definitely mid to late nineties for her.

Last edited:
You’re right, it’s probably nothing. I was just spitballing.

To give us something to talk about lol
I get that but I find it hilarious that when it comes to speculating on future story lines, fans of this show regularly jump the shark. :teeth: It's as if these people are just not capable of being normal!

I'll lay a far smaller-stakes (but I think more realistic) bet: Kate spills the beans to Randall who then is torn over whether to acknowledge the daughter with or without telling Beth and it ends up causing friction amongst them.
That must have been a regional thing then. I bought my house in 1994 and stainless was not an option, even in upgraded appliances. It was white, black, or "bisque."
:scratchin That could be it. I've been in new residential construction for 30 years and stainless was unheard of here until the early 2000s and has only become ubiquitous over the last 10 years or so.

What I continue to be frustrated with is how bad they are with geography. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh aren't down the road from each other or interchangeable. Also Alpine NJ is 2 hours from Philly not exactly an easy jaunt.

I had a flip phone at that time. Height of chic. LOL I also had a blackberry.....oooooooohhhhh.

Last edited:

I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you didn't have stainless, you were a nothing. LOL. EVERYONE had it, and certainly any "newer" homes came with it....along with stone counters. In that house, we had limestone floors, and marble counters (which I HATED with every fiber of my being). it was a "nice" house, but modest by Bay Area standards. Probably the more "urban" you were, the more likely you were to have stainless at that time. I know it was also "fashionable" in suburban New Jersey, where I moved from. We didn't have it in that house, but plenty of my friends did.

I'm a year younger than The Big Three and I got my first flip phone in either 97 or 98. It was only for emergency use, or if one of my parents would be late picking me up after school they could let me know. It didn't really do me any good otherwise because nobody else I knew even had a cell phone yet.

Well yesterday I was watching the remake of The Parent Trap, which was released in 1998, and Meredith pulled out a flip phone when she was sitting by the pool, so clearly I'm wrong in thinking people didn't use flip phones back then.

Why was Miguel's family rude to him? Did the mother prevent him from being with his children?

I think they were under the impression that he abandoned them. He said at the dinner that he tried for a long time to connect with them; he sent cards and presents for all the holidays and birthdays. The mom must not have given them to the kids.

I think they were under the impression that he abandoned them. He said at the dinner that he tried for a long time to connect with them; he sent cards and presents for all the holidays and birthdays. The mom must not have given them to the kids.

Thanks for the reply. Wowsers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!