This Is Us- Season 3

I'm really feeling for Beth right now as I can identify strongly with her challenge to balance it all. They laid out a great case for this being about Randall never bending and just assuming everyone else would bend to accommodate. But the time to say something was before the election. To take a stand on a job she just got (that has no promise of paying the bills) immediately following him winning the election just doesn't seem reasonable to me. But I also get it. Sometimes the lid just blows off the pot when it blows.

I thought it was a good episode. I enjoyed seeing the pieces of their past laid out for us.

It's a shame Beth isn't actually closer with Kevin. Of anyone Kevin will have a keen understanding of what it is to continually yield for Randall's flights of fancy that become life or death priorities.

That's a really good point! - You made me think of the Halloween episode when Randall had planned the route and was so upset that the others wanted to change it.

@lisaviolet I agree in that his anxiety is a real issue that it requires sacrifice and also that he does not get to rewrite reality. But I think they way she said it will overshadow the other very real issues they have. It filled up the room and in my opinion cancelled out a lot of her other concerns when except for quitting his job, none of his other decisions were the fallout or result of an anxiety attack.

Quite possibly I am alone in this, and maybe a controversial outlook, but sometimes huge moments get people to think and move from their position. Even when they are instantly regretted and they're hurtful. Beth was harsh, it dropped like a bomb and she regretted it - and I am certainly not saying go hurt your loved one - but that doesn't mean that it might not produce a positive outcome in the end ( a good from the horrid). Randall re-evaluating their relationship and his wife's frustration.

And of course like you were saying, it could override all of her points and concerns.

And I wasn't really listing how Randall's anxiety affected his decisions. I was listing how it might have affected Beth's choices and decisions, in reality and in her mind. Two very different things. (This paragraph sounds a bit snarky - I do not mean it that way cluvdisney). I don't think Randall has had the insight, or quite possibly the want:sad2: , to see beyond his perspective on a myriad of issues.

I'm not TeamBeth or TeamRandall; I'm TeamTogether. I do think that they are going to work through this and stay together. That may just be wishful thinking, but I didn't necessarily see them as separated in the flash forward. Too often on tv, one little thing in a relationship doesn't work out and they throw the whole thing away. I hope we're going to see a representation of how a couple can go through changes and still stay together.

:thumbsup2

Team together.

This thread is full of - well I am very thankful for the depth and diversity of viewpoints here. And how balanced and fair we have all remained from the beginning, to each other. Just yesterday I was thinking about This Is Us/this thread and saying in my head I am really Team Beth and Randall, to push through it all.

Well said how it usually plays out on television. Nice to see that it is not magically cleaned up or someone is bolting.

--------

@kimblebee

I get the previews. And I am not telling you like a complete brat, laughing. I am telling you because at first I thought that I didn't either. I regularly watch on tape even if the program still hasn't finished. This Is Us would end and the tv would go onto the next program (on a Canadian station even if I am on NBC, you know that Canadian magic act) so I thought that was that.

But then one day I fast-forwarded the recording and realized it suddenly snaps back to NBC for the previews. And voila!

So maybe try taping on NBC and having it end five minutes after and see.

Or maybe you don't care all that much and can ignore my dissertation. :rotfl2:

Last edited:

Quite possibly I am alone in this, and maybe a controversial outlook, but sometimes huge moments get people to think and move from their position. Even when they are instantly regretted and they're hurtful. Beth was harsh, it dropped like a bomb and she regretted it - and I am certainly not saying go hurt your loved one - but that doesn't mean that it might not produce a positive outcome in the end ( a good from the horrid). Randall re-evaluating their relationship and his wife's frustration.

And of course like you were saying, it could override all of her points and concerns.

And I wasn't really listing how Randall's anxiety affected his decisions. I was listing how it might have affected Beth's choices and decisions, in reality and in her mind. Two very different things. (This paragraph sounds a bit snarky - I do not mean it that way cluvdisney). I don't think Randall has had the insight, or quite possibly the want:sad2: , to see beyond his perspective on a myriad of issues.

:thumbsup2

Team together.

This thread is full of - well I am very thankful for the depth and diversity of viewpoints here. And how balanced and fair we have all remained from the beginning, to each other. Just yesterday I was thinking about This Is Us/this thread and saying in my head I am really Team Beth and Randall, to push through it all.

Well said how it usually plays out on television. Nice to see that it is not magically cleaned up or someone is bolting.

--------

@kimblebee

I get the previews. And I am not telling you like a complete brat, laughing. I am telling you because at first I thought that I didn't either. I regularly watch on tape even if the program still hasn't finished. This Is Us would end and the tv would go onto the next program (on a Canadian station even if I am on NBC, you know that Canadian magic act) so I thought that was that.

But then one day I fast-forwarded the tecording and realized it suddenly snaps back to NBC for the previews. And voila!

So maybe try taping on NBC and having it end five minutes after and see.

Or maybe you don't care all that much and can ignore my dissertation. :rotfl2:

Thanks for the idea. In the grand scheme of things I don’t care but I’ll give it a try next season. I do see a preview but it’s always for a different show on CTV. I follow a few people on twitter and usually see the preview there throughout the week.

Problem is when she tells him he is squashing her (like when she lied about the conference and he caught her, which I am NOT condoning, but she told him then), he is not hearing her and not doing anything to change it. You can only do things without realizing it for so long because once someone points it out to you, you can't use that excuse anymore.

Yes, this is so true! And the resentment builds up even more as a result - because basically your partner is telling you that your concerns and wishes are not important to them when they continue with the same behaviors over and over again.

On a lighter note, that show made me crave nachos. I made deluxe nachos for dinner tonight with all the fixings. Just cheese and chips is too sad.

Same here! Wish I had some right now! :rotfl:

I don't think Randall's anxiety affected his decisions - it actually seems he goes in the opposite direction of self care by jumping into huge life altering situations with very little thought to how it would affect him or anyone else. My statement was intended to mean that it seemed like it was the only thing he "heard" from Beth that night. They laid out all these situations where she did the bending and he didn't get it at all and made excuses ("if you said this 20 years ago...") but this he heard and reacted to. But I think this goes back to what you were saying in your first response to me that her decisions to bend are based on how he may respond because it's in the back of her head that something could trigger an anxiety attack and she doesn't want him (her and the girls) to go through that again. I read it a little differently the other day but I agree completely. In some ways I was the Beth in a previous relationship and I know I yielded to things in order to keep the peace so to speak because it also made my life easier.

ps...I'm not reading snark at all and I hope you aren't either :)

. But I think this goes back to what you were saying in your first response to me that her decisions to bend are based on how he may respond because it's in the back of her head that something could trigger an anxiety attack and she doesn't want him (her and the girls) to go through that again. I

I honestly wasn't even thinking about Beth fearing a trigger for Randall with her decision-making. Ie. Easier to bend than do something that might trigger him.

More of how dealing with his condition/illness in general terms might have limited her options/decisions - whether in reality or in her head.

Possibly even the energy needed at times to make choices. ( And I don't mean that Randall's anxiety was all-encompassing for Beth. Not at all. I simply mean that added to motherhood, FT job etc. And only mentioned because of Randall failing to understand that it was an added component for her.)

I hear you on your previous relationship cluvsdisney. It takes quite the balance to be there for someone and not yielding too extensively, for a myriad of reasons. I still struggle with it.

Looks like the last five minutes of the season finale are going to be big... Check it out

Very interesting read.

This isn’t a spoiler or anything but I have a scary feeling that Jack might not pull through. They kept saying that they were going to do something that hasn’t been seen on television yet. We’ve seen shows where a baby is born premature and fights and then gets big and healthy and turns out fine.

Very interesting read.

This isn’t a spoiler or anything but I have a scary feeling that Jack might not pull through. They kept saying that they were going to do something that hasn’t been seen on television yet. We’ve seen shows where a baby is born premature and fights and then gets big and healthy and turns out fine.

Noooo, don't say it!!

Very interesting read.

It's possible. It sounds like there is something out of left field with Rebecca. The quote from Mandy Moore about "oh, Rebecca" sounded like she was disappointed in her character but then she thought about it more and it made sense. That had me thinking. Maybe it has something to do with Nicky. They didn't bring him back for no reason.

I think Randall needs to make sure she keeps teaching dance, but he was right, she was making him out like some type of controlling monster and he is not that

Interesting to hear another perspective. Dynamics in relationships are something.

Looks like the last five minutes of the season finale are going to be big... Check it out

Thank you!

I have been underwhelmed for most of the season (besides the dynamic of Beth/Randall).

I hope the big moment plays out as "oh wow how interesting" instead of over the top dramatic.

Very interesting read.

I know eh. Chrissy Metz' quote hasn't played out yet.

I don't think Jack will pass away because someone - the actor who plays Toby? - said that they wouldn't do that to the viewers, said in a manner that he seemed to 100% know. Hopefully he wasn't only talking about the pregnancy. Sigh.

Regardless there certainly seems like there is something that comes between Toby and Kate.

It's possible. It sounds like there is something out of left field with Rebecca. The quote from Mandy Moore about "oh, Rebecca" sounded like she was disappointed in her character but then she thought about it more and it made sense. That had me thinking. Maybe it has something to do with Nicky. They didn't bring him back for no reason.

Hmmmm. If Rebecca was initially disappointed in her character, I wonder if it is something about her marriage with Miguel.

Last edited:
The commercials keep showing young Rebecca in a car accident. Tragic as that Grand Wagoneer is epic.

This is what I think also... something else I read awhile ago with a quote from Chrissy makes me think he won't make it. :( Something about her reading the script and being really mad at the writers for a bit until she thought it through more. I don't know, we shall see. It will be really hard to watch if that's the direction it goes.

Last edited:
I keep wondering about the car accident with Rebecca. It seems significant somehow.

This season finale was even more frustrating that the last one! Even so, I'm very happy about Beth and Randall! At least they gave us that. And Kevin has a son... mini Kevin!

But, where was Kate? Was she on the way there with Jack or was he on the way with someone else. Where was Miguel? Why was Nicky in the room with Rebecca? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter