This Is Us- Season 3

I had the same thought about Tess' situation. I was so glad Kevin filled her in that she's in the same boat as her peers as far as trying to figure things out.

I think Kevin's east coast house might explain the Kate and Toby situation also. It could be relatively new and Kate and Jack flew in earlier than Toby to see Rebecca and Toby stayed behind for work and is now joining the family.

I hope so. I want Toby and Kate together. I just keep thinking of the last finale when Toby was lying in bed alone depressed. Also, people say he did not have a wedding ring on in last nights episode.

Like a pp, I also wondered about Kate loosing weight. I was thinking the actress may lose a significant amount of weight for the role. I think there was talk of that in the beginning of the series. They would not be able to hide it though as she would be out and about in her real life and be photographed.

• lol at Bloxkbuster not going anywhere

• OH NO it’s a real life O. Henry story!! They need to talk to each other ASAP
I loved the Blockbuster comment.

And I thought, this is like the O Henry story.

Remind me, because I forgot. Is Nicky Jack's brother?

Last night's episode was wonderful. I'm so glad Randall and Beth are still together. I LOVE Beth's new dream and think it suits her perfectly. I've had to step back from commenting on these two the past few weeks because their storyline was too close for comfort for me. In some ways, I'm Beth. My fix for that over the years has been to come up with smaller, less life-altering dreams in order to make things work yet also not lose myself. This has to be more common in marriages (especially when marriage leads to children) than is usually acknowledged. I'm glad the show focused on this and so glad these characters ended up with a perfect solution for them.

I'm sad for Zoe and Kevin but glad they figured this out before it was too late. Love that Kevin is a dad.

So many questions about Kate and Toby but very glad baby Jack makes it.

Deja is incredible. Her wisdom and strength reminds me of William. Where are she and Annie at the end of the show?

Glad Nicky is alive and seemingly well, but that was a shocker! Where is Miguel? I hope Rebecca didn't end up burying two husbands, but also don't want them to have split up. Hoping he is alive and will be by her side soon. So funny because I really didn't like him in season 1.

Wish I had more time to spend here but I must run. Might pop in later with more thoughts. Great show.

Last edited:

Oh my gosh, I loved this episode!!!!!

Random thoughts as I watched and then read here:

Kevin gets the best "pearls of wisdom" lines - I loved his speech to Tess about gathering your pieces slowly.

And Deja is amazing!!

I love the way this show uses parallel scenes - the coffee, the packing...and I think that's what the accident stuff was about - not necessarily an injury from then haunting her now, but the "life repeats itself" reminder of them going to visit her in the hospital then and going to visit her now.

I wondered that too.

I generally hate O Henry stories :laughing: but I love that they were both willing to bend, but talked about it first. And I love that they're still together at the end. :love:

And while I'm at it, I love that the writers gave us so much hope - we know Jack lives, we know Kevin has a son, etc.

It's too bad about Zoe. I did like her. But I think they made the right decision to end it.

Right now, I think it sounds like Kate and Toby have split up. That would explain why they wouldn't expect Toby to come...but then again, they made us think that about Beth and Randall, so I'm not going to fall apart too early on this one.

I loved Kevin's chat with Tess, too, and I plan to steal this if an appropriate situation ever comes up with my daughter. So wish she had an uncle like Kevin. He has his flaws and struggles, but he's a good guy and usually comes through with great advice at just the right time.

I really enjoyed this episode. I wasn’t shocked to see Rebecca. It’s the natural order of life, and she looked quite elderly. I think that Miguel has probably passed before her and her brother in law Nicky is there for support. Happy to see that Beth and Randall worked things out just like many Dissers suggested and that they are together in the future. My only concern is why Kate isn’t there already by her Mother’s bedside, and the fact that Toby seemed to be depressed. I’m really curious about how many years will have passed when the series comes back in the Fall. Will they continue in the “present “ or fast forward a few years? I plan to watch this episode again.

There’s an interview with Chris Sullivan (who plays Toby) floating around there where he confirms Toby and Kate are no longer married in the flash forward.

I also think Kevin winds up with Sophie. I think the scene in the hospital when they were talking to the nurse was foreshadowing. Kevin flirts with the pretty blonde nurse. The nurse looks a lot like sophie, so much so that I did a double take. Also, Sophie is a nurse. I think he settles down with her.

I remember thinking that as I watched also - like wait, isn't Sophie a nurse too - and wondering if the writers deliberately made that subtle connection for a reason.

Rebecca does not have alzheimers. Mandy Moore has stated in several interviews that Rebecca does not have alzheimers disease. I think she is just at end of life and in and out of consciousness.
This makes sense to me, as well as the comment that she was probably under a lot of medication. Earlier in the show when she had the accident, Randall asked her why she was talking like that, and she said it was because of the medication.

I don't think the accident has any real significance. Many think that she suffered some undetected injury that is plaguing her now. I think the accident was just to show that she was the glue that held them all together. She is the matriarch of the family and she is about to pass. I think it was showing the impact that it will have on them. They almost fell apart when she was away for one night. How will the cope now.
I agree for the most part, except for how will they cope now. I think that they will have grown so that they will cope, and it shows the difference of when they were children and Rebecca was their core, to now when she is at the end of life, and they are mature with theirs.

Not sure about Nicky. Don't get the feeling they had a romantic relationship. I feel he maybe became close with the family and maybe lived with Kevin. Kevin was the closest with Nicky and most concerned about him.
Nicky still looks a little unkempt. I think Kevin takes him in to live with him. I love the growth that Kevin has in this series.

Love that Randall and Beth are together.
I never thought that they were going to split. Marriages has its ups and downs, and sometimes major compromises. They had to work through this, and it would have been too pat and easy if they had done so in an episode. I loved Deja's speech to Randall.

I think Toby and Kate broke up or Kate has died. Something about the way Randall said something like, "glad you could make it" kind of like it wasn't expected that he come, like it would be if he was still married to Kate. I am not sure how old Jack would be at this time, but maybe he is married and on his way with his wife.
I remember in a prior season when Randall called Toby, I think, and said something like, "she would have wanted you to be there." So, either Kate has passed, or they are divorced.

Oh my gosh, I loved this episode!!!!!
Me, too!

Random thoughts as I watched and then read here:

Kevin gets the best "pearls of wisdom" lines - I loved his speech to Tess about gathering your pieces slowly.

And Deja is amazing!!

I love the way this show uses parallel scenes - the coffee, the packing...and I think that's what the accident stuff was about - not necessarily an injury from then haunting her now, but the "life repeats itself" reminder of them going to visit her in the hospital then and going to visit her now.
I agree with all of this. I also love how the writers parallel scenes in the past and present, and how some of these little details tie in to something happening in the future.

I took the ending as being in home hospice care, with Randall letting his mother know who he was because she was heavily medicated for serious pain relief.
I agree. I think Nicky lives with Kevin, or near him, and they brought Rebecca to his house.

I just watched the aftershow and read some speculation on line. It's possible that Kate and Toby are OK, but they couldn't show Kate because her weight is going to change dramatically, and they didn't want to film the scene at the actress's current weight.

Another tidbit that isn't mine: The scene with Tess and Kevin about struggling to tell her friends might have set up a silver lining to the move. - She'll be able to meet new kids with her orientation out in the open from the start if she chooses to.
Good thoughts for next season.

I'm sad for Zoe and Kevin but glad they figured this out before it was too late. Love that Kevin is a dad.

So many questions about Kate and Toby but very glad baby Jack makes it.

Deja is incredible. Her wisdom and strength reminds me of William. Where are she and Annie at the end of the show?

Glad Nicky is alive and seemingly well, but that was a shocker! Where is Miguel? I hope Rebecca didn't end up burying two husbands, but also don't want them to have split up. Hoping he is alive and will be by her side soon. So funny because I really didn't like him in season 1.
They haven't shown Annie yet, so I'm wondering where she, Deja, and Miguel are. I'm thinking (if she's alive) Kate is coming with Jack, who should be in late teens, right? Or could he be 20?

Rebecca does not have alzheimers. Mandy Moore has stated in several interviews that Rebecca does not have alzheimers disease. I think she is just at end of life and in and out of consciousness.

I don't think the accident has any real significance. Many think that she suffered some undetected injury that is plaguing her now. I think the accident was just to show that she was the glue that held them all together. She is the matriarch of the family and she is about to pass. I think it was showing the impact that it will have on them. They almost fell apart when she was away for one night. How will the cope now.

Not sure about Nicky. Don't get the feeling they had a romantic relationship. I feel he maybe became close with the family and maybe lived with Kevin. Kevin was the closest with Nicky and most concerned about him.

Love that Randall and Beth are together.

I think Toby and Kate broke up or Kate has died. Something about the way Randall said something like, "glad you could make it" kind of like it wasn't expected that he come, like it would be if he was still married to Kate. I am not sure how old Jack would be at this time, but maybe he is married and on his way with his wife.

This is exactly how I feel about everything. :thumbsup2 Every single character, every open question.

-------------------

Emotional about Deja. I remember missing her so much - after her mother came for her - and thinking she would be back somehow, at some point. How could they possibly let such a brilliant actress go - happy that they didn't. Her relationship with Randall, even in the most mundane moments, is beyond beautiful to me.

Randall and Beth. :love:

Bravo to Zoe for being such a strong woman, emotionally courageous. Doing the heavy work.

I loved the writing with the kids, and the humour - :thumbsup2 for levity. Bravo to the writers for being bang on with the blunt things kids say in heavy situations.

Agree with others on the casting of the nurse to make viewers take a second look.

I love the growth that Kevin has in this series

Me too.

I am most excited, and curious, to see Kevin's life unfold.

------------

Kevin's moment with Tess was just lovely. And young Kevin's ways with the nurse, and Jack's line, was priceless.

I LOVED the episode. I enjoy quiet storytelling.

Last edited:
This is exactly how I feel about everything. :thumbsup2 Every single character, every open question.

-------------------

Emotional about Deja. I remember missing her so much - after her mother came for her - and thinking she would be back somehow, at some point. How could they possibly let such a brilliant actress go - happy that they didn't. Her relationship with Randall, even in the most mundane moments, is beyond beautiful to me.

Randall and Beth. :love:

Bravo to Zoe for being such a strong woman, emotionally courageous. Doing the heavy work.

I loved the writing with the kids, and the humour - :thumbsup2 for levity. Bravo to the writers for being bang on with the blunt things kids say in heavy situations.

Agree with others on the casting of the nurse to make viewers take a second look.

Me too.

I am most excited, and curious, to see Kevin's life unfold.

------------

Kevin's moment with Tess was just lovely. And young Kevin's ways with the nurse, and Jack's line, was priceless.

I LOVED the episode. I enjoy quiet storytelling.

Kevin also had a wonderful talk with the girls in the first season after he told them William was going to die. He showed them a painting that he had done and I don’t remember the exact words the idea was that everyone and their lives all combined and overlapped to make a rainbow of colours. He came off as a high falutin’ idiot actor at the start of the show but they’ve definitely shown he has a vulnerable side as well.

Last edited:
Kevin also had a wonderful talk with the girls in the first season after they told him William was going to die. He showed them a painting that he had done and I don’t remember the exact words the idea was that everyone and their lives all combined and overlapped to make a rainbow of colours.

Here that one, from Pinterest:

2184c91f749fb4db547e4fc8575366d3.jpg

And here's an excerpt from the new one (that I transcribed last night, while re-watching):

I’ll tell you what, one thing that I have learned: I don’t think we figure out exactly who we are all at once. I think it happens over a long period of time, just like piece by piece you know… I think we go through this life slowly but surely just collecting these little pieces of ourselves that we can’t really live without, until eventually we have enough of them to where we feel whole.

Here that one, from Pinterest:

2184c91f749fb4db547e4fc8575366d3.jpg

And here's an excerpt from the new one (that I transcribed last night, while re-watching):

I’ll tell you what, one thing that I have learned: I don’t think we figure out exactly who we are all at once. I think it happens over a long period of time, just like piece by piece you know… I think we go through this life slowly but surely just collecting these little pieces of ourselves that we can’t really live without, until eventually we have enough of them to where we feel whole.

Sitting here drinking my coffee, this post has me crying. Damn, these writers are spot on!

That's just what marriage and a life together does. My husband can read the tea leaves without even looking in the cup when it comes to so many things about me, and vice versa.

Absolutely - my wife and I often don't even have to say anything to each other in certain situations. Often, a simple look between us conveys that we both know exactly what we're thinking.

Little late in catching up on episodes - my wife and I usually watch them together, but she's been in India for business (and I'm gone next week when she's back), so I finally just decided to watch them, figuring she would catch up next week as well.

Good finale - it did what you'd expect. Answer some questions and toss out some new ones for next season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!