This Is Us- Season 3

Did you see that Jack was wearing the same green t-shirt on his date with Rebecca that he gave to Kate when they were at the pool?

Toby was not wearing a wedding ring in the flash forward.

I think Kate dies, possibly during childbirth. Maybe they have a daughter and the child is taken away because of Toby's mental issues compounded with guilt over not talking Kate out of IVF treatments? That's how Tess gets involved...because she is a social worker. Maybe their daughter is being adopted by a new family and that's where they are all headed?

Or maybe it's Rebecca, who would be Tess's grandmother. Once again, I think Kate died during childbirth and maybe Toby can't face Rebecca because he feels likes it's his fault.

Last edited:
Did you see that Jack was wearing the same green t-shirt on his date with Rebecca that he gave to Kate when they were at the pool?

Toby was not wearing a wedding ring in the flash forward.

I think Kate dies, possibly during childbirth. Maybe they have a daughter and the child is taken away because of Toby's mental issues compounded with guilt over not talking Kate out of IVF treatments? That's how Tess gets involved...because she is a social worker. Maybe their daughter is being adopted by a new family and that's where they are all headed?

Or maybe it's Rebecca, who would be Tess's grandmother. Once again, I think Kate died during childbirth and maybe Toby can't face Rebecca because he feels likes it's his fault.

I also think kate may die in childbirth the more I think about it. I think it will launch Toby into debilitating depression. He made a comment about how scared it made him when the dr. was talking about the risks to Kate if she went through with the IVF and were to get pregnant. I knew Toby was going to ditch the meds, in the preview they showed last season, he was in a deep depression.

I'll be very curious about the IVF story line. It's something I understand because that is why I have my twin children. Someone back a page or two said why would they jump so fast to IVF. Given the issues, it's not fast at all. PCOS is a reason for IVF a LOT of the time. Add in age (38) and male factor, and bam, absolutely. At 38, you don't have a whole lot of time to waste. 6 months tops would be all any legitimate doctor would recommend "trying the old fashioned way." What I will also add is that making it seem like IVF is risky for the mom is just ridiculous. Sure, like all medical procedures, it carries some small measure of risk, but not nearly as dramatic as being portrayed, that's for sure. I literally know hundreds and hundreds of women who have done IVF, and I do not know a single one who had any sort of life threatening, or even serious, complication because of IVF. The other thing they are glossing over is how expensive this procedure it. It would be much more realistic to have them worry about how to pay for it than Kate having some medical risk from it.

I am not sure about the Kate dying theory. Well maybe she does, but I don't see everyone still being so upset and raw that many years later (when that flash forward is taking place).

I'll be very curious about the IVF story line. It's something I understand because that is why I have my twin children. Someone back a page or two said why would they jump so fast to IVF. Given the issues, it's not fast at all. PCOS is a reason for IVF a LOT of the time. Add in age (38) and male factor, and bam, absolutely. At 38, you don't have a whole lot of time to waste. 6 months tops would be all any legitimate doctor would recommend "trying the old fashioned way." What I will also add is that making it seem like IVF is risky for the mom is just ridiculous. Sure, like all medical procedures, it carries some small measure of risk, but not nearly as dramatic as being portrayed, that's for sure. I literally know hundreds and hundreds of women who have done IVF, and I do not know a single one who had any sort of life threatening, or even serious, complication because of IVF. The other thing they are glossing over is how expensive this procedure it. It would be much more realistic to have them worry about how to pay for it than Kate having some medical risk from it.

It wasn’t ivf in itself that was such a risk, it was Kate being put under with anesthesia that the doctor was concerned with.

It wasn’t ivf in itself that was such a risk, it was Kate being put under with anesthesia that the doctor was concerned with.
I'm not even sure *that* is very realistic. I had local anesthesia* for the egg retrieval portion and I don't remember having any for the embryo transfer. Mine was unsuccessful (also for PCOS, fwiw), but I don't remember general anesthesia being part of it at all. I don't think the local anesthesia is particularly risky. Childbirth (regardless of conception method) would be a lot riskier than IVF, I'd think.

Editing because I'm not an expert on types of anesthesia: I was awake and talking throughout the whole procedure... but I think it was an IV anesthetic, not just a shot to numb the area.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure *that* is very realistic. I had local anesthesia* for the egg retrieval portion and I don't remember having any for the embryo transfer. Mine was unsuccessful (also for PCOS, fwiw), but I don't remember general anesthesia being part of it at all. I don't think the local anesthesia is particularly risky. Childbirth (regardless of conception method) would be a lot riskier than IVF, I'd think.

Editing because I'm not an expert on types of anesthesia: I was awake and talking throughout the whole procedure... but I think it was an IV anesthetic, not just a shot to numb the area.

Yeah, I don’t know either. When I watched the show it seemed to me they were talking about Kate being put under.

See you are reminding me of my own IVF. I was NOT under anesthesia. Conscious sedation, yes. Anesthesia no. You do NOT need to be under anesthesia for IVF. This was for egg retrieval, which would be slightly more painful than cramping for the average woman and therefore if you were at risk, I'm pretty sure they could do it without even that. For transfer of the embryos, I had nothing whatsoever, and it was way less "painful" (if you can even use that term) than a normal period. Seriously. Totally bogus. The difficult part is giving birth. Everything else was pretty much a breeze. And for a woman desperate to have a child, would be completely manageable. Heck, I would have done EVERYTHING without benefit of drugs if it meant having a healthy baby. That's what was wrong with the show as portrayed.

Enjoyed the show, will be watching. But starting to feel like they are reaching a bit for the gotchas. Deja bringing the shoes to Randall, the talk between Beth and Kevin. I don't think every episode has to be twisty to be good.

Enjoyed the show, will be watching. But starting to feel like they are reaching a bit for the gotchas. Deja bringing the shoes to Randall, the talk between Beth and Kevin. I don't think every episode has to be twisty to be good.

Did I miss something on the shoes? I thought it was just a gift. Did he talk about shoes before?

See you are reminding me of my own IVF. I was NOT under anesthesia. Conscious sedation, yes. Anesthesia no. You do NOT need to be under anesthesia for IVF. This was for egg retrieval, which would be slightly more painful than cramping for the average woman and therefore if you were at risk, I'm pretty sure they could do it without even that. For transfer of the embryos, I had nothing whatsoever, and it was way less "painful" (if you can even use that term) than a normal period. Seriously. Totally bogus. The difficult part is giving birth. Everything else was pretty much a breeze. And for a woman desperate to have a child, would be completely manageable. Heck, I would have done EVERYTHING without benefit of drugs if it meant having a healthy baby. That's what was wrong with the show as portrayed.

I didn’t write the episode LOL

I’m going on my memory that it seemed like they were talking about putting her under. Thankfully, I didn’t need to go down that path.

When she went into her biological dad's store, she told him she was just asking for one thing. So she got the gift for Randall from him, and went back to tell them she wanted to go through with the adoption.

Maybe it's a family visit to a funeral home before a wake. There is usually a time for the family to gather and be with their loved one before visitation hours begin. I'm thinking Rebecca.

That’s a very interesting theory. Now I wonder why she wouldn’t have wanted Tony there. We don’t have less questions..we have more LOL

Does anyone know the EXACT words Randall said to Toby?

Did he say SHE WANTS you there?
Or
Did he say SHE WOULD HAVE WANTED you there?
Or
?

Did I miss something on the shoes? I thought it was just a gift. Did he talk about shoes before?

When Randall was running with Deja he made a comment about her running so much and so fast that his shoes were wearing out. Seems they enjoy running together. She showed up at her biological dads sporting goods store and told him she only wanted one thing from him then he would never have to hear from her again. It is implied that she asked him to give her a pair of very expensive running shoes, which she gave to Randall. Then she told Randall and Beth to go forward with the adoption. I guess it was Deja's way of closing a door on her bio dad and moving forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter