This Is Us- Season two

Yes they have. Her mom has made comments and Sophie and her "friends" have. And that is just what we've been shown so far.

I honestly don’t remember Kate making a straight up comment to Kate about her weight. I do remember comments about making better choices.

Kids are cruel. I’m not counting them into this. I was referring to her mom and Dad.

Another viewpoint: Why did it need to be handled? By the time she is in high school she looks to be a normal size to me. Why put emphasis on her weight at all? Why not emphasize what a kind and caring girl she was, or any number of other wonderful qualities about her? I know our society is honed in on physical appearance, but that doesn't mean it's right.

I understand what you're saying about focusing on other qualities - and I definitely think they should point out all those good things about her! But I also think nipping a weight problem in the bud before it becomes a major health issue is probably a good goal too.

(And maybe that's what they did - as you mentioned that Kate seems closer to average size as a teen.) I expect it only gets really out of control after her dad dies.

I honestly don’t remember Kate making a straight up comment to Kate about her weight. I do remember comments about making better choices.

You mean Rebecca? I would have to rewatch last season to catch every comment. Did she outright call her fat? No, not to her face that we've been shown. Kids aren't stupid though. Kate compares herself to Rebecca, who is thin and has seemingly never struggled with her weight. She feels that she isn't good enough/doesn't measure up when she compares herself to her mom. And her mom's comments about what she eats are thinly veiled judgements about her size.

(And maybe that's what they did - as you mentioned that Kate seems closer to average size as a teen.) I expect it only gets really out of control after her dad dies.

I think this is the key right here. What takes her from being slightly overweight as a kid to being in the position she is in now where it is affecting her health. As a previous poster pointed out, she connects the good times with her dad with junk food. Jack played a part in this to be sure. And she uses food as comfort. Feeling like she will never measure up to her mom probably also played a part.

You mean Rebecca? I would have to rewatch last season to catch every comment. Did she outright call her fat? No, not to her face that we've been shown. Kids aren't stupid though. Kate compares herself to Rebecca, who is thin and has seemingly never struggled with her weight. She feels that she isn't good enough/doesn't measure up when she compares herself to her mom. And her mom's comments about what she eats are thinly veiled judgements about her size.
I think you have to be careful there. You can't blame Rebecca for being thin and not having to worry about her own weight. And I'm not convinced her comments about what she eats are thinly veiled judgments.

I think you have to be careful there. You can't blame Rebecca for being thin and not having to worry about her own weight. And I'm not convinced her comments about what she eats are thinly veiled judgments.

Huh? I wasn't blaming Rebecca for being thin, I'm saying that Kate compares herself to her and feels that she can't measure up. And of course her comments are judgements about Kate's size. If she didn't think Kate was too big she wouldn't be making those comments. Does she make them to her other children?

Huh? I wasn't blaming Rebecca for being thin, I'm saying that Kate compares herself to her and feels that she can't measure up. And of course her comments are judgements about Kate's size. If she didn't think Kate was too big she wouldn't be making those comments. Does she make them to her other children?
I get that. But I thought we were talking about what Rebecca did or did not do wrong in this equation.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether Rebecca's comments were appropriate or not. I might not be remembering everything she said but nothing comes to mind that was that terrible. That's not to say there's not more to follow though. Perhaps everyone says some things they regret after Jack dies.

I get that. But I thought we were talking about what Rebecca did or did not do wrong in this equation.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether Rebecca comments were appropriate or not. I might not be remembering everything she said but nothing comes to mind it was that terrible. That's not to say there's not more to follow though. Perhaps everyone says some things they regret after Jack dies.

Oh, no that's not how I meant it at all. I was trying to see things from Kate's perspective. And I agree that they don't show Rebecca saying anything outrightly mean or terrible to Kate. That doesn't always have to be the case. Some things are just unspoken and if someone is already sensitive about a topic, any comment will hurt. Guess I haven't been expressing myself very clearly. I'll just leave it at that. Looking forward to the next episode!

Another viewpoint: Why did it need to be handled? By the time she is in high school she looks to be a normal size to me. Why put emphasis on her weight at all? Why not emphasize what a kind and caring girl she was, or any number of other wonderful qualities about her? I know our society is honed in on physical appearance, but that doesn't mean it's right.

I heard a motivational speaker talk about her weight as a child. Her mother told her that when kids teased her about her weight that she should just tell them a joke. She became well known for her humorous personality.

From what I vaguely remember of the flashback to Jacks funeral, I don’t remember Kate being any bigger than we’ve seen her as a kid. My guess is that she adds her weight after Jack dies.

From what I vaguely remember of the flashback to Jacks funeral, I don’t remember Kate being any bigger than we’ve seen her as a kid. My guess is that she adds her weight after Jack dies.

I think so too. She definitely uses food for comfort. I feel for her even now when she was hiding he food from Toby. That could be me to this day, I don't want my kids to see what I eat some days so I really push the wrappers to the bottom of the garbage. Habit from when I was a teenager. My dad would come in the house if I had something I shouldn't have I would throw it in the oven. He never said anything to me , I thought he didn't know but my mom told me a while ago that he knew just didn't say anything. My dad has been gone a long time.

When I had kids I thought , I'm only going to feed them good food , no junk food. That doesn't last long if you don't yourself. Heck my husband and I some nights couldn't wait to put them to bed so we could break out he junk food. I told this to a friend....she said they do the same thing...lol They don't have a weight problem either like we do.

I heard a motivational speaker talk about her weight as a child. Her mother told her that when kids teased her about her weight that she should just tell them a joke. She became well known for her humorous personality.

Different people deal with things in different ways. It's nice that her coping mechanism worked out well for her.

They've shown her in that time period many times other than the funeral. To me she looks to be of average size too.

They've shown her in that time period many times other than the funeral. To me she looks to be of average size too.

True. I was just using it as the last memory of her before/during Jacks death. The next time we saw her (in the episode where she’s 24? 27?) she was as big as she is now.

ACK!!! The audio is out on our local NBC affiliate. I have picture but the audio is all fuzzy and choppy!!

I'm a little late watching this week. I loved this week expect Beth she grates my nerves so bad. Sorry Beth fans. I kinda even liked Miquel this week he had a redeem quality this week to me. I was expecting Randall and Kevin to come to blows. I wish Rebecca and Kevin had set down and talked instead of the big three. My recording shut off at the end so I didn't get to see what happens next week can someone fill me in please. Oh I wanted to add on the Rebecca harping on Kate being overweight all the time and getting Jack to start on that. That horrible. Jack was always Kate safe place. I feel like Rebecca took it a step to far and caused more of a problem then she solved.
Jack enabled Kate. He may not have realized what he was doing but he helped keep the problem going.

Kate was not anywhere near obese in those flashback scenes last week.
The child Kate? Yes she is. It’s hard to say that about a child but that’s part of the problem, not wanting acknowledge it.
I don't think Rebecca is as innocent as everyone wants to make her out to be. She was very cruel to Kate in her weight loss issues she went about totally wrong. She shamed her instead of helping in my opinion.
How is suggesting an apple instead of another cookie cruel? She was trying NOT to shame her.

Most woman, myself included are sensitive about their weight and so the suggestion that a *child* could be obese/overweight makes us uncomfortable. We don’t want to hurt feelings or give them issues but by not addressing it we let what issues there are take over.

Yes they did forget something at the mall, batteries . Maybe for the smoke detector. I really think we are getting close to the fire. That was the girlfriend Randal had when they were at Miguel's after.

One of the poster said they thought teenage Kate was skinny under all those clothes they were right.

Yes they did forget something at the mall, batteries . Maybe for the smoke detector. I really think we are getting close to the fire. That was the girlfriend Randal had when they were at Miguel's after.
I think we are getting close also. The scene where Rebecca was in the car and pulled up to the burned house she was wearing her Steelers jersey like she is in the preview.

that scene when Jack and Kevin were trying on the suites, and Kevin, realizing his dad put his passion on hold for his family, and he says "thanks dad", and Jack winks at him and says "your welcome" O MY GOSH, the tears started flowing!!

One of the poster said they thought teenage Kate was skinny under all those clothes they were right.

The camera stayed on the smoke detector after she asked if they had forgotten something at the mall and Jack said no. This was a bittersweet episode.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter