This Is Us- Season two

I finally got a chance to watch this episode. Darn it though, I should have waited until my family was asleep. I cried from the moment Kate told her mom that she wasn’t in her way, she was her way. So, so sweet.

When they showed the fast forward, my first thought was that Deja was in jail. I don’t think that’s right though, because Randall talked about that being his worst case scenario..definitely misdirection.

Kevin’s speech was so sweet. It’s good to see him serious about a girl. Oh man, the part about it being time to exhale..great writing on this show.

I think Toby is depressed and doped up in the flash forward..his eyes looked out of focus. Hopefully they don’t suffer a huge tragedy to trigger it.

Do we all assume that Kate spread Jack’s ashes at the tree?

I finally got a chance to watch this episode. Darn it though, I should have waited until my family was asleep. I cried from the moment Kate told her mom that she wasn’t in her way, she was her way. So, so sweet.

When they showed the fast forward, my first thought was that Deja was in jail. I don’t think that’s right though, because Randall talked about that being his worst case scenario..definitely misdirection.

Kevin’s speech was so sweet. It’s good to see him serious about a girl. Oh man, the part about it being time to exhale..great writing on this show.

I think Toby is depressed and doped up in the flash forward..his eyes looked out of focus. Hopefully they don’t suffer a huge tragedy to trigger it.

I forgot to mention Kate and her mom. That was such a sweet moment.

I do think that Kate spread Jack's ashes at the tree.

Oh, and I wish that Randall and Beth could have found a way to help Deja and her mother stay together and learn to thrive. Maybe we missed a lot, but it seems like there should have been more work than just having Shauna relinquish her parental rights like that.

I think they intended too. It was Deja's mom who said she needed to leave.

And yes, I assumed Kate spread the ashes at the tree.

Last edited:

I was with a few PP's who said the show wasn't grabbing them anymore and was thinking I wouldn't watch next season. THEN I watched the season finale last night and I'M HOOKED again. LOL

The flash forward with Tess seems to be about 20-25 years in the future. If Deja did something to Beth I can't see Randall being so calm about visiting or seeing Deja. Beth is the love of his life. I really have no idea who they could be going to go see. And doesn't that Tess look so much like little Tess!!!!

I loved the episode.

Oh, and I wish that Randall and Beth could have found a way to help Deja and her mother stay together and learn to thrive. Maybe we missed a lot, but it seems like there should have been more work than just having Shauna relinquish her parental rights like that.

So there was an end of show preview that appears Deja and her mom were going to move into Randall's dad's apartment. It was the same window and little table that the dad sat at to write and stare at the mural. I have a strong feeling Randall will gift them that apartment so they can be together. Deja was spinning on the floor in front of the window and her mom was near her.

The cliff hanger with Randal and grown up Tess I do not think has anything to do with Deja.

So there was an end of show preview that appears Deja and her mom were going to move into Randall's dad's apartment. It was the same window and little table that the dad sat at to write and stare at the mural. I have a strong feeling Randall will gift them that apartment so they can be together.
I don't think that will happen, she terminated her parental rights at this point. I don't think you can easily undo that.

I don't think that will happen, she terminated her parental rights at this point. I don't think you can easily undo that.

The mom could live in the apartment alone and Deja stay with Randall. Deja could be at ease knowing where her mother is and visiting her. There are several ways to spin it.

Last edited:

A voluntary termination of rights hearing goes over the specific point that there is NO undoing of voluntary termination in painful and excruciating slowness multiple times.

Brings up something that bothered me about that storyline -- Deja had no place sitting in that hearing to see and hear her mother relinquish her rights. Even in cases of teens of 16 or 17 I have never once seen a judge or referee allow the child to be present at that hearing, even if the teens had attended some of the other review hearings in their case or had previously spoken to the judge in chambers and knew the ins and outs of their case and where things stand. Judges, lawyers, caseworkers in the field who attend all of those hearings would speak up about the teen being in the room.

For Tess to grow up to work in the Foster Care system is the biggest indicator that Deja is fine (survived the system) and Beth’s relationship with Deja is fine. If Deja hurt Beth, Tess would not think so kindly of the foster care system. Whatever the cliffhanger is, I do not think it is related to the baseball bat incident.

I loved the comic relief! I loved when Kevin was on the phone yelling at someone and you think it's a vendor and it's Randall! I also liked the scenes with Kevin and Randall in the car. I liked Randall and Beth when they did the worst case scenarios. Randall's face about them both being on the pole was hysterical!

I loved the comic relief! I loved when Kevin was on the phone yelling at someone and you think it's a vendor and it's Randall! I also liked the scenes with Kevin and Randall in the car. I liked Randall and Beth when they did the worst case scenarios. Randall's face about them both being on the pole was hysterical!

I loved when Toby told Kate, "Please don't 'Runaway Bride' me!"

I was with a few PP's who said the show wasn't grabbing them anymore and was thinking I wouldn't watch next season. THEN I watched the season finale last night and I'M HOOKED again. LOL

The flash forward with Tess seems to be about 20-25 years in the future. If Deja did something to Beth I can't see Randall being so calm about visiting or seeing Deja. Beth is the love of his life. I really have no idea who they could be going to go see. And doesn't that Tess look so much like little Tess!!!!

I loved the episode.
This. I really, truly thought I was out but the finale sucked me right back in.

This. I really, truly thought I was out but the finale sucked me right back in.
But, I am not going to obsess about the cliff hangers. Last Fall I taped all the shows, and one cold February Saturday, I sat and watched. Planning on doing the same next year. I feel so many people put out their opinions, ya start believing it will happen. This is why the show started lagging for me. Will I miss the show, heck no, give me 2 weeks and I will forget all about it till next Fall.

But, I am not going to obsess about the cliff hangers. Last Fall I taped all the shows, and one cold February Saturday, I sat and watched. Planning on doing the same next year. I feel so many people put out their opinions, ya start believing it will happen. This is why the show started lagging for me. Will I miss the show, heck no, give me 2 weeks and I will forget all about it till next Fall.

I love watching every week, but I agree about not obsessing about the cliff hangers. I'll be interested to find out in time, but I just enjoy the whole ride along the way. If they don't touch back to future Randall and Tess all next season, that's still ok with me. I am a little sad about what one year in the future looks like for Toby, and I'm interested to see Kevin/Zoe together and why they're headed to Vietnam, but I don't want to question every little thing and come up with a million different theories. (That's why I started hating Lost.)

Kevin, way to make your guests feel uncomfortable with that toast. It was especially nice for your step father. As one who suddenly lost my amazing father as a child, I just can't get over how poorly Kate and Kevin are dealing with his death all these years later.

Mostly it was just way too sappy for me.

I finally watched yesterday. The highlight of the show for me was Toby telling his parents "If my Boo comes with baggage, I'm paying the handling fee". That just melted my heart! :love: I'm really disappointed that the future scenes shows him struggling so much.

I typically watch crime dramas, action shows, hospital dramas and the like. I'm a very plot driven viewer. So this is definitely out of the norm for what I enjoy. I'm back and forth still between adoring the show, thinking it's the most remarkable new show in years, and thinking it's too slow at times.

Regardless, I'll be back watching next year.
Kevin, way to make your guests feel uncomfortable with that toast. It was especially nice for your step father. As one who suddenly lost my amazing father as a child, I just can't get over how poorly Kate and Kevin are dealing with his death all these years later.

I do have my moments were I sort of feel like this. :duck: You know, when I'm not thinking it's an amazing new show. :laughing:

I think they’re talking about Beth, too.

And I think Toby has a depression episode, since his mom brought it up earlier in the episode. Ugh his parents drove me nuts. Talk about dumb timing. Guess they needed a way to bring up his depression. I really thought he was dead in the bed at first.
The timing might not have been great, but as parents I can't fault them for their concern. Kate is a high-maintenance basket case - :crazy2: plain and simple. I would not be excited for my son taking her on. And although they don't seem to have much insight into the nature of depression, it isn't completely mean-spirited or ridiculous for them to be worried for him.

Good writing maybe, but an absurdly implausible thing to do at a wedding, unless of course you're a completely self-absorbed navel-gazer...oh, wait...:rolleyes1

And as for Kate dumping Jack's ashes, I shuddered. I think it's an entirely inappropriate thing for one member of a family to just decide to do without at least letting the others know. :mad:

:sad2: I know, right? While the show kind of suckers us in to believing this is relatively normal and even sort of endearing, it's not. These characters are seriously unhealthy in this regard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts