"This is your Disneyland Storyteller, telling you the story of a happy queer."

MaleMaleficent

Earning My Ears
I just had a birthday July 11, and my partner got me one of those turntables that burns your LPs onto CDs. I was soooo excited, because I have all these LPs that I haven't listened to for...say...20 years. I almost threw them away last year, but just couldn't. They were my childhood, you know?

Anyhoo, I was perusing my long-neglected record collection the other night, and ran across all this Disney records I had when I was a kid. They're 33s, and they all start with "This is your Disneyland storyteller, and I'm going to tell you the story of [insert story]." These belonged to my brother before me, and the copyright on most of them is 1960...over 50 years old. I started listening to "Cinderella", and I tell you -- I teared up. It brought me right back to being a kid.

These records are probably a lot of the reason I'm the Disney-ophile I am today. Can't wait to burn them all onto CDs. My partner will just *love* listening to them on road trips! LOL

Good morning, everyone!

That would be really cool to listen to! Retro is always cool in my books! Now that you told us about it you'll have to share! :D

Okay, I have a little more to add to my original post. Through careful internet sleuthing, I've ascertained that most of my Disneyland records are the "Magic Mirror" series, released in the late50s-early 60s. It appears that they're considered "rare"...but I find that hard to believe. I guess if they were mint condition it'd be a coup, but trust me -- they're not. Years of love (eg. scratches) are all over the vinyl.

And...research indicates that on most of them, the "Disneyland Storyteller" is Ginny Tyler. She's even a Disney Legend. Besides this, she was a voice artist in lots of Disney movies, i.e. POPPINS.

And...I've got the ALICE IN WONDERLAND "Magic Mirror" edition. The narrator on Side A is none other than Darlene Gillespie, taking the role of "Alice". She also does all the vocals on the songs, too. You know, she was really talented -- too bad she turned to a life of crime. On Side B, however, the narrator is someone else that sounds a lot like Darlene -- but you can tell it isn't. Hmmmmmm. Wonder what gives with that?

Okay, back to listening and googling. :thumbsup2

quick question for you MaleMaleficent.. I was looking at the ion table to do the exact same thing you are doing, transferring that huge vinyl collection to cd / computer..

I was wondering hows the quality??? What table are you using...

As i side note i have a lot of my, plus other family hand-me-down disney records.. I completly destroyed the Disney all time Christmas Favorites record twice, and the A Christmas Story once from listening to it to much..

As well as my moms disco albums.. :rolleyes1

quick question for you MaleMaleficent.. I was looking at the ion table to do the exact same thing you are doing, transferring that huge vinyl collection to cd / computer..

I was wondering hows the quality??? What table are you using...

As i side note i have a lot of my, plus other family hand-me-down disney records.. I completly destroyed the Disney all time Christmas Favorites record twice, and the A Christmas Story once from listening to it to much..

As well as my moms disco albums.. :rolleyes1

The quality is good...sounds just like your old records, hisses and all. The annoying thing, though, is that you have to manually split the tracks by hitting a button...otherwise, Side A would be one solid track, Side B would one solid track. I have to admit that I've gotten a bit lazy in inserting track separations. I don't want to have to listen to the whole record while burning it to CD, I just want to set it up and leave the room!

As for ion table, etc. -- I'm a dolt, but I have no idea what that is! LOL My basic machine is a Crossley turntable with built in CD burner-thingy. I'm afraid I'm not too high-tech. We here in the south tend to shy away from that stuff...ya'll.

The quality is good...sounds just like your old records, hisses and all. The annoying thing, though, is that you have to manually split the tracks by hitting a button...otherwise, Side A would be one solid track, Side B would one solid track. I have to admit that I've gotten a bit lazy in inserting track separations. I don't want to have to listen to the whole record while burning it to CD, I just want to set it up and leave the room!

As for ion table, etc. -- I'm a dolt, but I have no idea what that is! LOL My basic machine is a Crossley turntable with built in CD burner-thingy. I'm afraid I'm not too high-tech. We here in the south tend to shy away from that stuff...ya'll.

Nice... Basically ion is the same thing different company, and a little more stripped down... Check out their site though.. They have a lot of transfer equipment.. hummm i have a birthday coming up maybe i should drop a few hints to the other half.. :) thanks for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter