This might put me in the cone of shame around here, but here goes

MudQueen22

DIS Veteran
I have a weird question. It's sort of like a throw-away room, but some of us will be actually using it.

If my family (myself, dh & 2 kids) added my in-laws to our Fort Wilderness reservation, would we/they run into any trouble from Disney if they didn't actually stay at the campsite with us?

If we choose to go this route, they would likely stay in an off-site hotel, meet us in the morning at the campsite, ride (or drive) with us to the parks, have dinner with us at the camp sites, then leave for their hotel that evening. Lather, rinse repeat each day. (FIL is not a big park person, so he may even return to the campsite by lunch.)

Since the throw-away room thing is allowed, I'm thinking this wouldn't be a problem. They would basically be sharing the campsite with us during the day, but only leaving to sleep.

I don't know if we can talk them into a trip otherwise. FIL doesn't like to spend much on hotels (so talking him into a value likely wouldn't work), and I doubt they would stay in the TT with us.

Mudqueen22, sorry, no cone of shame for you!

Cone_of_shame_%286199000223%29.jpg

The site is being used by you and your immediate family. Your proposal will work.

Bama Ed

I agree with Bama Ed no cone of shame for you. I would however recommend that you keep the in-laws on your reservations. Remember for a camping site you can have up to 10 people listed. This way they are "TECHNICALLY" guest in the resort and can avail themselves of the amenities that entitles. Should he decide to use the pool, opt to use comfort station over TT, choose to have park purchases shipped to the resort, charge dining or purchases to reserved site and so on.
Throw away rooms are an issue Disney needs to better address. When we needed to re-book our trip for this year due to an emergency repair we discovered while en-route last year caused us to cancel that trip. Our TA had to book it in 2 segments. Came our ADR day and while the 1st day of part 2 was less than 10 days from our actual arrival day I was unable to book any dining until recheck in day

I personally think that is a wonderful idea! He will be using the campsite, just not sleeping there.

I see no shame in it as you will ACTUALLY be using it unlike the other mooching dirt bags that just reserve a site to get perks and then never use site. I consider them just as much of a leech as the locals that come in and use the resort pools yet never stay there.

You aren't offending me as you aren't using the site to get Disney perks only.

Last edited:
I have a weird question. It's sort of like a throw-away room, but some of us will be actually using it.

If my family (myself, dh & 2 kids) added my in-laws to our Fort Wilderness reservation, would we/they run into any trouble from Disney if they didn't actually stay at the campsite with us?

If we choose to go this route, they would likely stay in an off-site hotel, meet us in the morning at the campsite, ride (or drive) with us to the parks, have dinner with us at the camp sites, then leave for their hotel that evening. Lather, rinse repeat each day. (FIL is not a big park person, so he may even return to the campsite by lunch.)

Since the throw-away room thing is allowed, I'm thinking this wouldn't be a problem. They would basically be sharing the campsite with us during the day, but only leaving to sleep.

I don't know if we can talk them into a trip otherwise. FIL doesn't like to spend much on hotels (so talking him into a value likely wouldn't work), and I doubt they would stay in the TT with us.
There is always the offshoot chance your DFIL may catch the SPIRIT of Ft W and the excitement from your band and decide his only course of treatment will be to indulge his grandkids and stay with you If that doesn't work CONE OF SHAME FOR HIM

Last edited:

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad I won't have to wear the cone of shame.

We do not have our TT yet, but are actively searching.

MIL really wants to go to Disney, and possibly bring my niece, but FIL will require some accommodating (mainly due to his age and health limitations) and he doesn't like trips that are as active as Disney parks. MIL will not go without him.

Dh and I talked about this scenario, but weren't even sure if this was permitted or doable.

Once we get our TT, we will likely approach his parents with the idea.

Thanks so much for not making me wear the cone of shame. Like Doug the Dog, I do not like the cone of shame. :)

I agree with others. No issues since you are USING the site for what it's intended. It also makes it easier for the In-laws to come and meet up with you if they are on your reservation. That way they also get Magic Bands AND they can get parking privileges as well.

So.. here is the cone of shame for our Yellow Lab that one of our cats likes.

20151019_053440.jpg

I guess she wants to use it for her tent. :D

I agree with others. No issues since you are USING the site for what it's intended. It also makes it easier for the In-laws to come and meet up with you if they are on your reservation. That way they also get Magic Bands AND they can get parking privileges as well.

So.. here is the cone of shame for our Yellow Lab that one of our cats likes.

View attachment 253657

I guess she wants to use it for her tent. :D
I don't normally reply but the poor cone of shame, maybe add mickey ears

We do this every year at Aulani. We have a friend who lives in Honolulu and loves to come out t visit. I put him on our reservation so he gets a key in his name, gets free parking and is allowed to use all the facilities. But he goes home after dinner. Make sense for all other resorts too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter