This Trip Report Is Under Refurbishment For Your Future Enjoyment (UPDATED 9/13 with final bonus chapter)

Hoping to apply this tip at some point in my life.

I hope you get to do so!

I just use a pass for that.

:rolleyes1

Yes, yes, we know. Not everyone is born with a horseshoe up their butt.

What was?

I think the hardest hike we have done so far was in Utah: the hike to Delicate Arch in Arches National Park. It was 1.5 miles one way, and basically straight up. Plus it was hot and I had 30 lbs. of baby on my back.

As far as the "worst" hike goes...I'd have to think about it. I've tried hard to make sure that whenever we hike, there's a payoff at the end. The worst hikes were probably some of the ones from my childhood, where we often walked in heat and mosquitoes for hours just to see trees.

Much better bargain.
I wonder if they have to charge that much... for overhead/maintenance/etc... or just because they can.

Probably a bit of both, weighted toward the latter. I'm sure it's harder to get supplies, etc. to a remote location. But mostly I would suspect the law of supply and demand at play.

Fun fact:
My grandfather was one of the patients at the Awahnee during the time it was used as a Naval hospital after his ship was torpedoed. Been there a couple of times and was blown away at the artistry. LOVE the mission style used!

Wow, that's cool! Was your grandfather seriously hurt?

Brutal!

Trying to get as many threads read as possible before a heavy work week coming up. The photos are lovely and I reallly enjoyed this chapter! Thanks for the great read, Mark!

Thanks for sticking with me!

Yes, yes, we know. Not everyone is born with a horseshoe up their butt.
I have a very bad feeling that it's gonna come back and bite me someday.
"I waited over 3 hours for a bus!"
I think the hardest hike we have done so far was in Utah: the hike to Delicate Arch in Arches National Park. It was 1.5 miles one way, and basically straight up. Plus it was hot and I had 30 lbs. of baby on my back.
I remember that one. I went and double checked and... ::yes::
As far as the "worst" hike goes...I'd have to think about it. I've tried hard to make sure that whenever we hike, there's a payoff at the end. The worst hikes were probably some of the ones from my childhood, where we often walked in heat and mosquitoes for hours just to see trees.
Well, there's your problem. You were supposed to see the forest.

I have a very bad feeling that it's gonna come back and bite me someday.
"I waited over 3 hours for a bus!"

And we will all be laughing at sympathizing with you.

I remember that one. I went and double checked and... ::yes::

I would do it again, though. Without hesitation. The payoff at the end was worth it.

Well, there's your problem. You were supposed to see the forest.

:rotfl:

I think it was mostly concussion and some broken bones and hypothermia. I don't know for sure (but will ask my mom) but he was there a month? Not sure....

A month? Yeah, I'd say that was serious.

OK, still running around to play catch up and you have so much going on in this update, I'm gonna just give you the run down.

I'm tired, hungry, cold, and exhausted just reading this update! Nice the David and Sarah made it to the top. I don't remember the last time I actually went on a hike. I'm not keen to do it by myself, and well most hiking places are not scooter friendly. :laughing:

Sucks about the bus situation and that you had to walk so far and get crammed into busses and such. It's good that you all are in such good physical shape. If I had had a day like that, I would be somewhat "taken out" for the next couple days and need bed rest or some other form of relaxation. I'm not sure how you guys keep going day after day after day on these trips!

Plus, I would want to slow down and eat the expensive food, at least once! :laughing:

Just started following along in the past few weeks. Outstanding reports and a joy to read. We're just up north from you in the first state, in the city where it all began officially. We have done WDW our fair share of times. Frankly, I am Disneyed-out, and with one starting Catholic High School, and two more following in ensuing years, looking for a financial break from Disney prices that expand faster than federal spending. We are looking at something along the lines of:
  1. Flight from PHL to Vegas
  2. rent a minivan
  3. travel to Grand Canyon/Bryce Canyon/Zion/Death Valley/Disneyland, or
  4. travel to Grand Canyon/Death Valley (Rainbow Canyon and China Lake/Sequoia/Disneyland
  5. Fly out Vegas to PHL
Hoping your reports can give some guidance. Any tips or advice on the planning?

I'm tired, hungry, cold, and exhausted just reading this update! Nice the David and Sarah made it to the top. I don't remember the last time I actually went on a hike. I'm not keen to do it by myself, and well most hiking places are not scooter friendly. :laughing:

They're not always hiker-friendly, either! Some of those slopes are really steep.

Sucks about the bus situation and that you had to walk so far and get crammed into busses and such. It's good that you all are in such good physical shape. If I had had a day like that, I would be somewhat "taken out" for the next couple days and need bed rest or some other form of relaxation. I'm not sure how you guys keep going day after day after day on these trips!

It was exhausting, for sure. We knew we'd be in the van most of the day the next day, so that would mean we would have a chance to rest. Well, except for the poor driver.

Plus, I would want to slow down and eat the expensive food, at least once! :laughing:

Hey, as long as you can afford it!

Just started following along in the past few weeks. Outstanding reports and a joy to read. We're just up north from you in the first state, in the city where it all began officially.

:welcome: There are very few Delaweenies on these boards (that I know of), so it's great to hear from another one! I live in the Middletown area, myself.

Frankly, I am Disneyed-out, and with one starting Catholic High School, and two more following in ensuing years, looking for a financial break from Disney prices that expand faster than federal spending.

I totally understand that. The only way to have a voice is to vote with your pocketbook.

We are looking at something along the lines of:
  1. Flight from PHL to Vegas
  2. rent a minivan
  3. travel to Grand Canyon/Bryce Canyon/Zion/Death Valley/Disneyland, or
  4. travel to Grand Canyon/Death Valley (Rainbow Canyon and China Lake/Sequoia/Disneyland
  5. Fly out Vegas to PHL
Hoping your reports can give some guidance. Any tips or advice on the planning?

We've actually done that trip! Or most of it. I did a trip report here: The Dry Heat Expedition
(apologies for the formatting, a DISBoard "upgrade" wiped out the punctuation a few years back)

I have not been to Death Valley, so I can't help there. We did Hoover Dam instead. There may have been a few dam jokes involved.

WIth any National Park, I find it's best to get lodging inside the park if possible--sometimes you get some really cool old historic lodges, and the location is wonderful and saves you a lot of time driving inside the park. Lodging outside the parks can be dozens of miles away. The downsides to this are:
1) the lodging is typically no-frills. You may not have access to a TV, phone, or air-conditioning, and
2) you typically have to reserve something a year in advance. Sometimes you can get lucky. So if you are looking at next summer, I'd start trying to get lodging reserved right away.

Zion is both blazing hot and extremely crowded in the summer. Bring plenty of fluids and plan on arriving very early in the morning if you want both a parking space and less crowds on the trails. You have to take a shuttle to get around the park.

Bryce is not as hot because it's at a higher elevation, but it'll still be warm enough for shorts in the summer. The Indian Garden/Navajo Loop is a great trail. Make sure you hike it counter-clockwise if you don't want a ridiculously steep climb out of the canyon (for some reason, their map says to do the opposite).

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is much less crowded than the South Rim, but there are also fewer viewpoints and places to visit. I'd probably do the South Rim if it was my first time there. Just again be prepared for crowds and go early to beat them.

Our visit to Disneyland was very unique because we only had 1 day there. Plus, a friend hooked us up with free 1-day park hoppers. So we both opened and closed the park in an all-out attempt to do as much as we possibly could. It would be best if you had 3 days to spend there. Park hoppers make a lot of sense because you can literally walk from one park to the other.

:welcome: There are very few Delaweenies on these boards (that I know of), so it's great to hear from another one! I live in the Middletown area, myself.

I totally understand that. The only way to have a voice is to vote with your pocketbook.

We've actually done that trip! Or most of it. I did a trip report here: The Dry Heat Expedition
(apologies for the formatting, a DISBoard "upgrade" wiped out the punctuation a few years back)

I have not been to Death Valley, so I can't help there. We did Hoover Dam instead. There may have been a few dam jokes involved.

WIth any National Park, I find it's best to get lodging inside the park if possible--sometimes you get some really cool old historic lodges, and the location is wonderful and saves you a lot of time driving inside the park. Lodging outside the parks can be dozens of miles away. The downsides to this are:
1) the lodging is typically no-frills. You may not have access to a TV, phone, or air-conditioning, and
2) you typically have to reserve something a year in advance. Sometimes you can get lucky. So if you are looking at next summer, I'd start trying to get lodging reserved right away.

Zion is both blazing hot and extremely crowded in the summer. Bring plenty of fluids and plan on arriving very early in the morning if you want both a parking space and less crowds on the trails. You have to take a shuttle to get around the park.

Bryce is not as hot because it's at a higher elevation, but it'll still be warm enough for shorts in the summer. The Indian Garden/Navajo Loop is a great trail. Make sure you hike it counter-clockwise if you don't want a ridiculously steep climb out of the canyon (for some reason, their map says to do the opposite).

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is much less crowded than the South Rim, but there are also fewer viewpoints and places to visit. I'd probably do the South Rim if it was my first time there. Just again be prepared for crowds and go early to beat them.

Our visit to Disneyland was very unique because we only had 1 day there. Plus, a friend hooked us up with free 1-day park hoppers. So we both opened and closed the park in an all-out attempt to do as much as we possibly could. It would be best if you had 3 days to spend there. Park hoppers make a lot of sense because you can literally walk from one park to the other.

Thank you! And I'm sorry. I am not a Delaweenie. I meant to say, We're just up north from you (who is in the first state), in the second state, in the city where it all began officially (Philadelphia). The trip reports are awesome. Now, we just have to figure out when we can get a spot at a lodge in the Grand Canyon and plan around it. I just need to figure out how to build Death Valley into it. My oldest wants to be Navy test pilot, so a Rainbow Canyon sojourn is not out of the question. But basically, I'm about lost here. I keep going back to scratching the Disneyland end of it and going east to see Monument Valley. I'd prefer that at this point, but currently behind in the polls 4-1.

Last edited:
I had lost track of how far behind I was on this TR! Yosemite is amazing. Dh and I went there once, back when we were dating, so many moons ago. (1997?) This was before reservations were done online, and we were camping - I think we just randomly called and made a reservation mid-week? I'm sure you can't do that anymore! It is still one of my favorite places, and I'd love to go back. I think I started mapping out a trip after reading @Flossbolna 's TR, but it never came together, alas. Our trip was summer, so not nearly as many waterfalls.

You got some amazing photos. Drew is definitely adorable - I'm sure that gets him very far.

Thank you! And I'm sorry. I am not a Delaweenie. I meant to say, We're just up north from you (who is in the first state), in the second state, in the city where it all began officially (Philadelphia). The trip reports are awesome. Now, we just have to figure out when we can get a spot at a lodge in the Grand Canyon and plan around it. I just need to figure out how to build Death Valley into it. My oldest wants to be Navy test pilot, so a Rainbow Canyon sojourn is not out of the question. But basically, I'm about lost here. I keep going back to scratching the Disneyland end of it and going east to see Monument Valley. I'd prefer that at this point, but currently behind in the polls 4-1.

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood what you wrote in the previous post. But Philadelphia is just as cool, since that's where all of my favorite sports teams play.

Good luck on the planning! We didn't make it to Monument Valley as a family, and I can definitely see the appeal there. On the other hand, good luck arguing that one over Disneyland with the rest of your family. I learned that variety helps. Everyone eventually gets tired of sitting in the van and looking at pretty rocks, so if you can break that up with a resort day or a theme park day, it helps reset the mood.

I had lost track of how far behind I was on this TR! Yosemite is amazing. Dh and I went there once, back when we were dating, so many moons ago. (1997?) This was before reservations were done online, and we were camping - I think we just randomly called and made a reservation mid-week? I'm sure you can't do that anymore! It is still one of my favorite places, and I'd love to go back. I think I started mapping out a trip after reading @Flossbolna 's TR, but it never came together, alas. Our trip was summer, so not nearly as many waterfalls.

You got some amazing photos. Drew is definitely adorable - I'm sure that gets him very far.

Thanks for coming back! I think I read somewhere that the camps are a total lottery system now. So you can't plan on it at all. That has to be really hard to figure out.

Bonus Chapter 10: The Inevitable Letdown (which doubles as a title for all of my TR's)

Just like that, it was time to leave Yosemite. Reality comes crashing down hard very on us very quickly during these road trips.

We packed up our stuff and ate our Pop Tarts and started the drive out of Yosemite Valley. None of us really wanted to go, especially since the day ahead was mostly going to be a boring drive. So when Julie asked if we could go see Tunnel View one more time before we left, I readily agreed.

We drove right by El Capitan on the way up.

b-r3P5S5z_uI6k8ifPd8KUqx5H_JOltNqrJYwMaGGhAf9dq42k3ZOyimqrYWjHNK0YJRvKXpC95Pm2TvtQMGGOl3C52IhDlEszQoZz7ix7EpdCfc_I5dKQVzKqNwhhs_BOvljzFdOdWTam2Gk1rLJH2UPKuWCOtRqg6AsXApWukrq5YTrsSTPMJ1jq1CwQgLZ9PzOcQKm_J-63Cp3qRBfFFC6BLrCy69uXaFWE19JbOsZoDahseysA8AlyFzJNgmFWiqPV_97rZ8c4N1KdbqwsTDYWubRb5-sGDEwN8lyrrqES8shBQwxlFHQdXax7-XoOoYYAQ4i_gxI9EZzxjtiOVU1gJ16M83bY8ApKFTIademSbiY6VLElf31zplkJcSXT-lla0BhAS6p6W34K2ZYbcrMGtMgLdx12O_zFBkmhOwaI335MO17NIte8CW_oDLGUIzMpICvX9xwmO_tirZsa1XA7m-VpLyHQkEZ0Cxst7jqL2yWOolo6HWsF3B09stOwEQF8p-hpz1XRa5tyL81pB8861Ykx7UceFXKfjiPghc1SnshRHyAJwbVVnz85Fqjg7hVdM4-aEyzWqfgGKKium-w4AhA3yw5m_hVv6Y9fF9TAkguQIm6Sm7_jrMhCO_q_mIJZx40kxGy4yXvh77b07tiCXTpW0D=w1211-h807-no

As you might expect, Tunnel View isn’t quite as spectacular in the early morning, since you’re looking back east directly into the sun. But it’s still an amazing view, and worth the effort no matter what time of day.

S_AFa0Zc53e7cgSau3T-WYnBvDB2FKSdMF6NQFV6JsK-9Pl7wZParzf2HpW-QzgqJjW4hs4i-LSeVW3-Cm1G8ns0YKSsIDfWXNyFzyEBzO3Mat7bu_ZZJQFYl3aC1zilanj71wb3SSbljUxei1H-5DUUsVT4M6NJvesMfF5NC-WOc5L2LFRT6Ye9Pad2NYG8sbIfizvjQuKKfdMIucPhof4y7Tk_H-XeoLVxb9ISSl_k4DEdzLDnZ-PCSZXQRaIDDOUbjrJy0aWWPL0gZY6eOGzqZE5-MiLce80McDHSdzTpNDrux3-t4bZxQLpzBbPdeimSdKj-Hvj9TDwPSa-LlJa9nHp68uuq0nIzGggMX4Tt9T89H8CMzjPVwPdseSwlr_fkt8OGONL5WSc8evl8cEK5Es2PqUepVfVilZ5EG3a7sKsSErVSRNE3Hhn3J0CqgOMVsT-5YEYlmVCKzSM-e_NmmsCXBwuQnMhIXfqr9rzIPRArjUkbu96RBDK4wB7uH4RBcrlFbTpUEslJrZbhSZKBE4V4HOEwm0RUfHL4Euf0Wa4mUPW6e1PPnDSc0ijPgWR6tmfKuVfr1V0kwNQCE8fwqKqM3x3t7ysfY3km5OB1MCgFNLh0bZxVZLpGD4_TTQchk4lrvG8ktzEGfLBFh7msd_vjt0Oa=w1211-h807-no

2TKCcOfEN154XaNVHQ_Gg0n42qxqz_1seHUSfKysxn_cVLnAstYM3sU2FwBrO_pBvZ7G4FXLYpiX1xCgecjuExIIF9JL6ObMsrzHdWcFHk7sYq3nkxhvlD-mwvSrz2-eeaL4HvOiFCzbJ5mg4XSRQdMsxD5ecaT1B_kg3py_f8eTf-vZop_B22M3pYdiDyMTSpqBIUAAOI1NBcSoiKtvzhKaVT791FBb0PyVfU6OC27j80_xRnvP3t8eM7LWU1GvChhRRXPAaHIZJcm78H_yWxmAbZd1SrbqyIDSWmPR7ZpNhyyV6AfX8907FZ11dKE663TwqiA_kAeyalXi_nzu7DzRziQ0fm6vRQ6wTBjLTPxZd1dtnPgNV6OXILf7iExltTAzKhbOZd8ODQF1jxDElRMWpEiriK8ssxZkB6oVTdKd3M6_LvUi7NSEvBC3I6CBF0wQrLQRVJWlBcjMx5-XgYn2coqPu6DrPFWevukBgfLyE1Rkw2xlXTKTa6-GMMFY0NqHk9-dfu3zW8VvzGFQPKqXIoq3o2EMfnKN5w13lAKDfA8mBM-n-POKuXpuuFPWKztzDbB89CyN-_6yzvRrmCUEVPNdH3lj3S5ppCzhDVL2bs--ypm44Pw9WYMUlGRCch42QhPG3JXGTw7vJpgxjli9cI2--0es=w1211-h807-no

From there, we headed back down to the valley and then drove north. We couldn’t explore the Tioga Road through Tolumne Meadows because it was still closed due to snow (it wouldn’t open to the public until mid-May). There’s one reason to come back someday.

I was determined to see as much of the park as we could, so we took a side road that led to the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir. Also, “Hetch Hetchy” is just plain fun to say.

We briefly crossed the border of the park on the way, which gave us a chance to see the “real” entrance sign for the park. This was significantly fancier than the one we’d barely seen on the way into the park.

zaj5_YWhpNc2iNiychEfSubIAckiNb13qgD3Chv17YwFUI7h9q6wfP4WR4or1YWaOWl_r5nAR8WuFgpBfDEicRK54KhUL3RzhKXVvC9UIA0HTS2qW0la4N_Coh32RKG2t5eaWx4qwb325w0ZEsk5LiREsP5agbpXvgIWhXiTUTq8-yzGrdtaiAvH4YBYv0idZEsxuRENQ4hGINa7dorOmDr4NGmVSBRngRuoUDDGzD_H1KemhrKd1p90g8qXvYtxiqaEBpRbAHbpwBHLyCOKVbQISQDFFPQCjYBMrM-_-4N3AWFB6cQQ2bYm7TE9VncuFJvtJyhV9zi3vI8KMdQuJx4EVrGfg49BJB_X9D9mr_3EjAs4su49Jr2TwDTbL6Q5hMrDysHbiVe1I1RXBarFb83URlHm1byqzNWkZ7BBDlYBm6BIv0_zmYacolAYsETXbSa71EMGeX74-E6NBRQQe9ijJAsMYwKQiACyk7wy0gSoZ4m5YpBAPTgsqeBTh2ilQ5-Due0G0GrQUIiAxgs_N_AC0QjwVbmsX4hR7qUIxTY-FTj3L_Ui49aBP1okWDYmgjrx3QbscZqEgAwSGbTNPRPH-wNUV6z5ovbIQIjf0X-WBxd2TbzjRJMfjsVS3V1vDoMKHsRng7Jc6Lw9xiA0TVMUBlvg7KDB=w1211-h807-no

Speaking of roads less traveled, the road to Hetch Hetchy was like driving on a giant cheese grater. Step up your game, California! We’d never stand for a road in such horrible condition in Delaware! Hey, I can say these things…I’m a trained professional. And I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express on this trip.

After about 12 miles simulating the Dinosaur ride at AK (without the dinosaurs), we arrived at the gate.

gWtb4rRUNcyFn6jRbteDOpJBonjCg2AWut8dstqXBBUvptiwStPVa3zeK9X-WDixL_4sqSFKyzRcZTCihihvM35qiIG76oQiVNUz4PAqps7oKYLffSoOYs8YqXNgngR4SqjP5dNkinONCkLBEDaYzBqQG1zVK_iKgsYfwqWF-WcstiUhbvpK_MfaIDJuomcdIMbLDVdMINtrQ_88svX1rZCUCUKUcQsfMM08S9bUsvqCE19J-UtT3UQxpHS9kJMzaOqox03wSaBMTJqNVCCaJLXCCaqSwx0B-8ykL6F1Z_CfVxAQYDMKenoNo9iCYEFegzZKTzAbzhOjnD4ccRMG39Qs7zeYer7Vh2hMpWbZjH7qwbSt0XCz0hT3of8QwHjd5NRV9SXisoExFQyptbeUUuFMbRaZSL9tC7djQXI0LRmxYdE6yhj1VAP_rSoB_8w5mgSHW7GuYDRwaga7NyqdiLjbo2tU4q_kKZNwY-6NslzOT4AxW1dfxEsOkwSSALTmcRUMYI6whW-mIQePerhB85bU51XAyHPB6kXioPjcyTlu8ERYqExj9n0GO_61ujEnKL9mHqUdytuZTBv8pU26goRPknNfpJBs6rtoqtCTKwGjgs2PX8mHntg5Jm3Nnu-Rbz4WuZssZ5zT4x0N2VOBGVn5rULhKhCJ=w1211-h807-no

Where we had another 8 miles to go. Better fasten those seat belts.

The road ends at a parking area next to the O’Shaughnessy Dam, constructed in 1923 to block the Tolumne River and create the reservoir, which provides both water and power to the greater San Francisco Bay Area. The dam was a highly controversial project, opposed by many environmentalists (including John Muir) at the time due to the beauty of the Hetch Hetchy valley, which was said to rival that of the Yosemite Valley. Ultimately, the project went forward, the reservoir was created, and all that was left now was for my family to endure my never-ending supply of dam jokes, which have been scientifically proven to never get old.

We parked in the dam parking lot and walked down the path. You could see a resemblance between the granite cliffs here and Yosemite, and I started to wonder what valley looked like before the dam was built. There’s a photo on the Wikipedia page that makes it look like a very lovely place indeed.

GxGOFZjWJNXJvSEccRsePa8BZBG3HOMNZouHDqcj-TWzD4HVUstARpO1gqTKbUzAdlJtCdJEl-13RkH9G4QYPyCHBLRx-hqeGTYupSvKi5ko5pfql6_pTgobfsc9o9NnD1cK9hp7kXn1MC7wWdyv9l7TQNC2ym0F4Y6YvFPRvXXTtki-10haP5S4nhEL4Pd88HALNXf90c1cnOGc8SABJvoeNsbu6PUofykrGoye8FJUdG4BaJ-1RGSltGYOq8U5JsuqntchQsPDlx9EVmtiLcPJknYK6YQ1A-Kvdp9NeudB7Pe0EK-n_S65NI9YrtElUempR9FbDvsdaYtTs5UoxT85Dx3ZaImOIg-YzgmqQeKYfrykJEHNEGRoXvLz6zyY2-fMDnxKk1W44vmKzk4SIH4P3F4S9_wL79H5yCot2mgAvq1Jy8x-v3cYIDtcaoTZWAEi9siRzpBVbEeyixyiNXUXMPgEgZhAoBMOEapOXGS-J2sBl7lEzMHMIvmDfJ1QjsVL7i2h6KseQ21jybyhLGTBf7QcjcnOl7XBbBOby29gnf1h3ArcPSIAbqol_BgJEOtzEx17uJ2AzjpQmZmDMISgiKQkit-s1h-B_0x44yeXkDMgifcQDzb9XFfMqyaFI3qHPx8xlJSTFvqBkHdccKgarxL8B2Yz=w1211-h807-no

avQKMQCDa8d0alEpEjjB3voEm8f93rsrGXqOVlv9CEMW9EdRWIvA9faQwwFl8tc42IOAcS60R6lNeeZYPFbA_zSMBNOyFtB-BHrCPM89ckscuRGTV9MvmxCXvFEHzzgVTAT0YlTlLCJNiGGrzL2Jpff5RQpxsHuOJqMRI7UiyQCN1-bUbQtqDtJ3p9nWYRNMfhD0QHsroXIrppatlKSDqR51f2CIBIaIgGpSGtcxdUklbu3byycK56aVGnCf86oIaHW7-gk0vRU2eUgGmu7xUr73aEUjIZA6ygbiOYXgh9vjb34wkmyoqte7OvTZY92cW-1KIFu61fMAZohp7UzorBlaVGjmGEF2-glYi_eipkCsy1ahBQbwebAg4zlAjFvGHiyvS7H3bywc870BuX9Rq8xtrXGRh5KRK8hEf2lsbdTE-75aINnLs5pq6yEA0k3fkEpBjGiZXQgGyYawriKvpxQwkshLFFs3AX6Eb15IXX2F_3ibHXofsNkLpz1yocbGq2eJVi0U8P-_8w6r-FqxFelpL1GY9VOqSqA4VlWSPBvraFrf3HsLLttua_NP9Hl3o19xpkO-fYgBipXF-B6LpiIG8C1HTVqunx07fCkZApS0s4dsFWUqBzS8Qj3IXkjNFJ_lwlQ2LHvSJmplkUpcqvse9oQzvA8h=w1211-h807-no

On the other hand, I’m sure San Francisco is glad to have electricity.

The big draw of this area is a hike that takes the dam tourists across the structure, through a tunnel, and around the reservoir to some waterfalls on the north side. Unfortunately, it’s about 5 miles round trip, so I didn’t think we had the time to attempt the dam hike on this particular morning.

And as it would turn out, the dam tunnel was flooded and we didn’t have proper footwear, so we ended up not doing any part of the hike whatsoever. Add that one to the list for the return trip.

If you thought the dam jokes were bad enough, I forced Julie to take this photo on the drive out. As if you needed further proof that my sense of humor has been stunted since age 10.

dfUiFylLDekHdO_LQlK-c7s5fsXAbHc8Zfd1B2PenMJC5i8lt7F-9fDZebs3C106CWb3BLy-wVlV_FadPRFSViNp5Hp8WsVDVBRo2VM0yAy8l-epSvvsYUhB3nBhF9smgrYEy-a8FeRnmxXXmbcGwJxz3iR23YiP2H-_q7BMvEfWpPR93_gbG-2WxSoyecT25IQM2VlgbctXjG_3zYrk_J2Rml82Rj0C_62yga3Qf-_Y6yGyhkTXoVIEvLbCAOqRaC2kDsoQADkvR4XmSylXynzCzPOgZKyjY78ZGm6abwvTezH5kSihhgMhHSFaXVEBHd6JQSYeXOu0P5Rw921I5d3HY_qe9RIG-QyQM2e3EeylpJyT_JcJR49u19Z1TucRAE5jEM8KpUHJ-Qnnlm2uVj95nz0LwiihY6B6cGOP0mTQUnePk1OcJ1ERAXRseCxki3H0fr2tWqKDKxVeoL4il2eMV7stuRS5Lg5ojqF41fRmlfxM9Mn1fCh8wImd4PSbHLE-1qs6oDZ9myZiP80KAp5bsAw_zj9R9iaxgtlkCIgUlRsbwm9K7tm0ljtDVtkdiOfJrxfiNKToX5GsxqVU70Xwk1N07v_ko3UBOnJRN26rwYevvNdG1QeR1JrRVE9ZKOTz5eO2g6M2N2bqzUVJ0ryJ5r0zeCzt=w606-h807-no

We left Yosemite National Park behind for good at that point, and settled in for a long 5-hour drive through the winding back roads of California. I don’t have much to say about this drive. There were a lot of climbs where we thought the poor hamsters in the Dodge engine were going to give out from exhaustion. I found myself leaning forward, hoping to get the van up the hills through sheer willpower.

dToh8RdVEKkX0mNfkk6qzhbJk-FnUyeMTG6z0b-fGsXCDWW6BLvJF9ww1YmV6orL5GwgwsbGduAvn9IY02ZbflTp2CfsEN-kCCXaWhgVHdSevQMS3Z_Cs-dqXai6A2fC-wyjsD2IE41D1Iup6arMo2q8n8y77M6zwNrQ2IB_oGzKdUTKukG-jNC2QL89J6PiDQZgj5ShzQm2C8R5ZiR2QIYn67uuX--5O05xD__AZLhH4dhta_PsP3aeGsfQiw7JZL2IR0E8vTAXbSaf1qeDWdzvEFbsMV539QrrnryWYrEnORom1SFNq2T6FEh0oelcdqyPI5DUhF6zEpPX3lmMKxZOfmkmPVQuun8PcMwzGVmZfNFJ1ziwAvTqmOl9QL27DDbRs_IH3NnGA66VsgEN4Jj3nOfrn2vYoOLT-yZZroRqUKd0gkxxveBKhpzKjofQ-lVF1VYj9ZuCNZJkYqlQhtYllVsQ9wMzQXL-VNox_LU2lbN5AqjeUqMXHmxUVLgS4m0d2q5g-dMCWp-bSsHwL71yalx7vi2exoG1i6Ld4_aTFMAtg6gnQwEtm-Pil0AX5UMrypoX4DjjLVQt30Xry7FwlMx6V-PvblFR8s2Z1-y6oHEjKt9GkD0M3Id0AhYmJ5zSQ67YV-eKo7VCnsA97jF6Lp7vqjMG=w1076-h807-no

Everyone else was so bored they started trying to see how many pretzels they could fit in their mouths at one time. Julie was the winner, with 7. Congratulations, honey!

VUJBZkSLDhnGbrXCAIsM6lPmM1ghSuJKbaZnp1ARVZBARPdJsIqlXKU7knqxURt2-XUllZ5NhCiNdlDrgkKeDWVsPbNxrWnAoUdnWAEqxK0oG3kVfVFIGIrnz7QYorpkiV2fw1Aet09xjXL4GxsgaqRQSGmoRQpUb-y3sDeXFHdNbYydWDvJR_7NgAt_sd19Wr_88-plLNFXOluhdcYw-uIZFE0c3iQJ1ltNVi-05h0KKcIa5QtUK3F5eQFal03-lOax8zYepOmiwQ0Cn096vS-823_KHQ90rGZ3ApuzVJ7od0YiB0w0zqQtH0V8TUfvJKDF7EpJwly32goWQ0o-Mcp7gODpKmFzmnHavACNWCNst0sir8zzHj-VSiOtspgoy9U0EtJyj1BBMjpWEZN1zNCSnJQs6aF7oOcFxEvg3igH3rPjAL8A6znJ37JB01NwrDcf6oKvdTGvEZ42Zi5xGmM51JDKFxP4Maa0a3hhhUQ9X-qlzDkG_xMNZF3uQmQNa9X_3mtj-izaFML4OMhM5XmIfWDDOFssZJO-PQ1Dw2TDZctHvL86q45krSPS1bpCjmD7xMrTu7TEFlgmUVsnG1kLw6W2RXc9o_uXsv2_tcSO9z3WlCLOKVIpzQ_vCT2CfuPK_rzruxc-wboKHosxB6Z1kzQ7P02Q=w606-h807-no

Yeah. It was that kind of drive.

It became a little more interesting once we got up into the mountains, where the last vestiges of winter could be seen if you looked hard enough.

vcG_d1MVH8kNFFG8HP9psk7XJyazLDQURonbYzlwZXfcr-Jz78l_PNOUCCTBQ4u6MBkG-kthpbYL-JfR6T9XGEaIAvT12bHTEp7SWSBaTArGXiKOhtyhCIXVn4e-LL88QTO7RmVBz-u4fkfrPotNHjWTq2-d5XytEg8ZZKt3dyymfK_5KB_Nx0eJ5l1_OoudXaB_IKF-mSJ-xBFTgvZ7HKPF-to1RHg9kKuvAnvJ8g3oCK8WNJCHc9i65TKT3swo9GPJNhhweaZbIbOGaBOL220WRgx3Ca4LmWlV-ftM4wBolj8fXGaumwD7kgZCKE78Megovo6C4szsLFOdrCRvb5hfm7DU8O2kkPubHFL_SBJcWhIQ2bHMhTZBRIPFhw_acEd8u8qPBME9srVy8FpFnYn8z9GNi-1qUH9XFWk-BSU5Xw3l3Sg95Cr30vueApryIEBiw4XWaZcYycfLcDlGzCla_ms5B5mhiFFlCPTAGjEUTI8cElu5VGKytCxxQOESkqwPjxCBQkEolN5oVNKbaKLls2SnuIfvC0WEinz2mroH9iIljK6BePRHmT2M6k3SMSG3G_KAbk0egSX0E4sMPIDJxAk_fZOpb3rLb1VkuwvoPwbGkZz9Il0FOI5A-FJvVyRYLtXSOsiC0dA8cXVjZwbJvVf_k_NO=w1211-h807-no

After about 4 hours, we reached the Lake Tahoe area. If I’d taken the interstate, we would have missed Lake Tahoe altogether. My feeling was that if we were going to be in this area, we might as well see the lake. After that drive, the rest of the family might have been fine with skipping it.

Before we caught a glimpse of the water, we made a turn in South Lake Tahoe to drive around the western edge. We were on our way to meet my cousins in the town of Truckee on the north side, and Julie had just gotten a phone call from them. She started talking with them about our arrival time when suddenly she shouted, “Oh my gosh! I have to go! We just spotted bears!” and hung up on my poor cousin.

In her defense, we did indeed see a couple of brown bears, just playing around in the woods.

PTlMYngjbrglndXsLpU8MDJvQm9cFyOY-ByvbNZW5LMF5fbeOKl8wyTFDMapaK3w9aCyHDD4Q2vrcaAGhNqnYTQbRPy2tMnWg-LzFygG7zcS7L9XtaBUlbXQld17qezLw5kPwDz9hqi8mUNHFDjZ9TgfoH8a8fqmbrIP_qy4L2zdTgeRtE-B384GRx8-Y8YzE2y-1TXWUnbIWF3YK1yqCtAqzMOndI14jEaQAkSJkButDNlhicXdDn3nn4HP57_8GnIXOFPzJhX5xUUlpvfyETYHi_iSfryJ6UaoZkNcWSP0pqfeTbAIAkHLBFpiULT22R3tZ9tMAatkHJ2OrRirVOVWWueGHxV-fGLgEFTiNpWY5j3UY1zqqzKJowBYmGr2JGbfZqhh3EDYUkhhgZdLqCceuREFXuuS8PQ_oXib8K6udMYBORNLQkRWJafB1ywzBU1K2WK5B3dxdLjUtyUrl1eWzeBi8dHxsXjXLIh4BQcmgDTvBzzXnyrd3_ZXyGNykq7xmJDAitntAS2rts1r_WOReli07ESRnL8SS6kPzlHG91E08j04Y5409EyUSMFX5Y6uZbnIbJM4R7Bu6GLGCF65JZtdGt8iIe7DkKFYHZyPMKLURuIr-T78e6IjfSosvMfSchdoZuBoQSD5ZmqQQiis44DgL2bf=w538-h807-no

Then, at long last, we finally saw Lake Tahoe. And there was much rejoicing.

BK0gtzQMB6Qx5ZY8ay4BvtW3bquxDOqyxlvfEW9rcloEuMEuAVAXber0xRv9jcWI95i73aFGrNPFU7h9ojeVC3dXu0fvsrw1EvcW45Vn0SShng33aLUfkyoVl92lwVR5DlLU-yrKg8TISSXEFjEYrJiXmmGhgDwkZwr98kA6uCmOFW0vXCiUJiGEslHBFZSl4dS2BmeZRDbZhfEaEiE4M4LiEItQTWUZg7voa4HFKxnos3QVFNP-Ts_--bMGKdno39TaaYu06iOaw5dV_H5qB4GRLG4ElPPQSB7piNB9_WurEswaXTIYQRi78teFSswu-yD6lPD7M6VFyuJgTd1BO8kLDkFwVbTLMpT7pbK2q8Ehz8cOa8VJctJhpJC0bES5VnXVtXXzGOYCcpRoCFR9HD9IklNC4MeHaqTA9qycOK0lAzn2LfHPiG4LPKS1nda07rNk5qen3gHDkL4jTfV79NBw9KqjjO2C3_PwLNDeHfddogBi4e9iH-sDspA4C9xDJ1PB0GYP05HTw_I1Ebnh7hf-bA_KrQ7peiVBE2bh36uaReUhzndz8ghFgzNbhcFF4XADKZ5pRPiXKzeDU1v9ZwDntUja-QxQNEAgwlUpxa3ikYvxtIwYGn8vgg96i9UBzDj65QUQ_PkOPJI3xg__inJHaHUh0_fX=w1211-h807-no

This little offshoot is known as Emerald Bay. There was a nice overlook where I’m sure we could have gotten some wonderful photos of it. But we all just wanted the drive to be over with at that point, so that means you get whatever crappy shots we could get out of the car window as we blew past. Please remember to tip your tour guide on the way out.

t1sO_ky105MxAvGf34v84FkTZahadmjc3qDS7Z2F_KHFzt4H3IgSCPajcTd0NoEbv5aaBfzTZGBSRVLhqh2RsXGX_AWzvrf47oJLapPH7CkurA438GP-13IxZ68MGkRFsCZpqdxfItmn14TcHEQoh0e9mUPCYB-p62YOs9Wg-8vgLPxrGaiWzM-krkT6TP-jijf-qPfpi_QQGSlp7WsveCR81UwNetLDqRJ9wvH-ptMdaNUDGNSWyPUXzSKPYuvDMYMUAEWHH0OSah5FS5iJlwBPEHvpVnU0lZq41BEh_rjMkNt10IsPkTAjgbi7_ZZNDa-JIdl3x9fR6onUE-Vi_o5nN_ti8MnPNJ4n8r1WYYcqTHZm83nBwEg_I2mgnYr3y62t-FhkbNpUU0ozAEv9951Hvb4p9xwjj5O_snOlyngKppky8EUOa3XB4NU0PcQTkFvmgCoSi_2AuocuR1RLUIZ4NevaZYlhtDU7i0udTlrTXYF7TvyOU12xQaP7BTLQlpszMr0tnstT942ddjJ01aC2q3F4ynAmWIdKHT8WBged9MrpJhDCtz-Cms-dmyuCgMC8_T6L5VhH1TxDl1yDzunUVLtG2dEOtkMIqJ6_5WgZpcm46XAwnmtSdh2KLjTNTTKkaQM9pwZxchNkY13IqIEEN-7zgKzB=w1211-h807-no

We made it to Truckee and met up with my cousins at their house. I hadn’t actually seen them in years, so it was really great to catch up. They took us on a dime tour of Truckee, including a burger place for dinner called Burger Me. I had a BBQ bison burger, which was pretty delicious.

FJ1ctoRYPmer-LxpZOlbklyZ1TwMKqFIOAMU4PMUYw5nf5goXYb76VvkgijYwBJ58le9JGn_YI5-of_1xxawgkT2_s1AK8sVyNNU5xcfze5xYu5n-h_8XgkxtTPwGafHNu0B3Kcl4a10-Po6KSQXg7vrNEAlVjp6XvBVl1_dwRAtbyJzERl2pI88B1tSkWw8aiyEaW08HsFtB54JyhmbSwrhtrCApZutIWo8c02XJZanvBhlkrC31SQ-76KKCLlCDSDozHxOn9kbKt6cWuqBxc4X32BJVCBMzV9Keb598ZX14I4FY9Bfq9l3R6QxP9zoIeePclc-p1DYT8DM7coZ8D6ul8GfTN2jxfCSOey2phE2J86esid0aLXPmY0TRC7llZhcWstLOFdkdZTja-vrd-eMVrUiP3tZXDDVfpeQDO7QjH5aFNxhAhEi0PbmVVq5WaVSRKNT_4YzcVGVa2E5SLLk_oLqcP4EY7t7dUYA9_uJFeL2kVmFEJ9xSePYi4L3cWEChRxeEwKWHNIJdePZ-2pMhAn1wB4UWsWg0v4O7nYb6jOIS20ffe69-MULzYhgm4iNv7Yy2EC_Z8gRkbiC9mTj1E95z5SqqYeN5hCDOp0NPrIVevhdG9gRZmmh7JwNYxPzwDRCAoxRbg1lJxsFijE5_Mc_guU8=w1076-h807-no

D9XXfyb5KM2WovSjjAshusBPp95U2q2EPRHnQ7Kna3oBo2WxS6RNr5Uau75R6nbxzKNLf27_968hi7ySp0lMD8HoOxLAHr2PYeq1aB1_HypuTM2fpPcv3qvUfiMKnzFiITJ6xEQifsjxpDhT9XuASL3X94YildPvwsrf_Y0FztG6SqE88cDq7cHeEgz3f4DAEVNgAo09wtSeFwZx7VpG4qTyk26HcLChDv8cJEbbFZprdEOYMO7TANHkC_p73HP2M7krnH5T5PI83gJPgVEA7TO7CYQYvvOSHHFeoPZOzWm31rkt1pH9ODnkVmVai3_YADBJcdEH3eidNl9F86kLiwngrvUbgEq1T1B2qhgV_M98jtW_bMOrGxb7SIG597uukWtCaHX1suuOQ2be9osFzyaGWmS5h99BlL-0dY9Y6wklaMWL4r9NIOPgewUkC1RR2ZNPdEAtSUzDg5fJJtXX7SRhT_Rm2uWM9LFgaud3dS5PlaRxGneXrAMMhl6ON5lW9A6y9_RoWrJrrIQFA9DmdupszOpK85gfvLudRy9A2H4IyyIL4rlSr4xeYiaqAJXmUW3WmFczh03ibnedhZCQQsqI5sbNJ3hDL2lOJ2A4zJersSYGoIlOXgkbtWbi3gFT0Avmtf1wvR7f1fdAlnVIDetuay0MqEzy=w1076-h807-no

That evening, they took us on a drive up a mountain to Donner Pass. If you’re not familiar at all with the story of the Donner Party…well, feel free to check it out, but just be warned that the burger above might not look as appetizing to you afterwards.

Thankfully, we had just eaten, so no one was in dire need of whatever food they could find for survival, but instead could just enjoy a nice sunset view of Donner Lake.

yac5QgT9086FQfiUuSqZjPwdH4VGXFOXs2go19LU3P_0xMnD6Lqf4xBOFChv1JFR6Uxme0qPXpJFCpy1aJmY-aKY8yi7IsJFkpETVfbeudEHZE5fiHbvFgKQlSeTX5kldAen0Een5WXN3vRDuIEBjTut_C7Y99hEXlPh_K9o8HMGSY0iLv7nAmX0OkVnTDBzkSkyMC47e7_1TWlYRxL5Tn7ukUcWog-i-IwD2d8pJTONPhUd3HIJxTUoR8mEiU0tSvno2uf6l9ne0LRbELPESqZEVjZXQsMBWcE0OHrYxA55qQHM3x0_2WAVJGKwev-Q_jO9xaLfVP8JrLHXYvTrl8AG4EOIyAM4fUeLhpiRSvImLEThnAVaqc8o87iIhwtG0INTBomtlsnCDLGfXbf8oDWwNxkrmTjwb2QOukxv5jdgvsf1GICOrHLuaYNN43hZld7h20A4fYf5Xgvqk_G5dXrf0VpTHJCjtMAqfXtrZiPovYhgepH_NpjbELwwgcBIfwtbLETL9PeVBb0KYevUD82ww4lJU6NKEBn3SAanHk7vAI1hZcgDVT0n-KVYUAn-jT5bVkCijGz_HhD6LfWsyLTyikru4CYt5JwFWokxR1heHMg3BAicwtjCdS50jStJjZe8uRQsdUaPZTs7sIGj2MD_6SG1moOS=w1211-h807-no

I supposed we could have pitched a tent and spent the night there at Donner Pass, but…well, I wasn’t taking any chances. We went to the Best Western instead.

Coming Up Next: Back to San Francisco for our final day of the Spring Break California Spectacular. And no, none of us actually called it that. Except for me, just now.

ETA: map for the day.

1SBuMpaaOUeuaX3mFzHE_aBj26PM7m4w40souZLvM0Mt57Cknh2UGi8iamSDbAyPCTzrkLb39-SToZTZkECBNr5TFFgpElw9XMiSVPEAnYI7o-P94eB7lrgmV96KGarCQbjr6U-kKa56aXdhcVTUD1qQaI7J6P2EMdi0Hm3B_-SNjwnUifeFzD1pjPCgeW4gmBG4r_0qrgSbrkzTeMZSKOrc1uJpCVB8BQyR4J1xXfvvU3MWhLEROSva9mlB-Rfu6mdRuYJ9sqMpaDuBu4qQElnTZBXm6bRjNGqsLAxk8Z_4hG7ogbk0fvp1-8RRbIt1uxctRU9N-jW4Xad7SR59Cq82qGSBdlrMIqP24XE-8tAhvO2IVe_0DZzv1UFHZ8HegZ15BdmqBvw4ExhQptpswzb39c1SvBqnVYGGQqgMUCcVrGeDRJ1YUXGIvv857eool4bBHSFwpa_O24RVUbyZa6mZreC_mDzfQfxD9e5EKqYcfAxcHQ5fTZTiAdSIJkRRQy8T1rk7pEO8XOrlsNx2kemshBa_vnM_HPh_Ic4kn-Pm1vcqoz_80w6tBoHuLj3E2009XwY4hz4csch2nDHFnX9UJPkU5-JAVVgeobHFFdrKl3wO667s366kS-gbhE9FR9LilqrcXlaH7YNWpiBR3azf2egcExmYB6r4vlkiFf8Thnxws8UD-Vk=w1074-h761-no

Last edited:
I went and read your dry heat trip since I’m planning that one with my kids for my milestone birthday. There are some great pointers sprinkled in with the shenanigans.

Departure day is always a bummer. I’ve enjoyed following your family’s trip. Incidentally, on our last road trip, my son found an podcast (The Alarmist) about the Donner party. Both interesting and frightening...

Sorry you couldn’t take a dam hike.

The Inevitable Letdown (which doubles as a title for all of my TR's)
This is an exceptionally accurate statement.
Reality comes crashing down hard very on us very quickly during these road trips.
Oh, yeah. I've been there. Well, not there... but there.

If you don't know what I mean, there, there, I can explain.
We packed up our stuff and ate our Pop Tarts
Do we not have the technology yet to have the icing spread from edge to edge?????
As you might expect, Tunnel View isn’t quite as spectacular in the early morning, since you’re looking back east directly into the sun. But it’s still an amazing view, and worth the effort no matter what time of day.
You're right. It's still incredible.
Also, “Hetch Hetchy” is just plain fun to say.
:laughing: ::yes::
Ooohhh… You guys should go!
the road to Hetch Hetchy was like driving on a giant cheese grater.
Always fun. I used to drive on one of those (for 2 hours) about twice every couple months (for 3.5 years).
Did you learn to vary your speed to match the washboard and minimize the jarring?
I’m a trained professional. And I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express on this trip.
:sad2:
After about 12 miles simulating the Dinosaur ride at AK (without the dinosaurs),
So... really, no difference?
The dam was a highly controversial project, opposed by many environmentalists (including John Muir)
Had to Google him.
all that was left now was for my family to endure my never-ending supply of dam jokes, which have been scientifically proven to never get old.
::yes::
We parked in the dam parking lot and walked down the path.
The dam path...
There’s a photo on the Wikipedia page that makes it look like a very lovely place indeed.
Meh. Too stark. All black and whites. No blue skies. No green trees...
Meh. That's what nuclear reactors are for.
through a tunnel,
...dam tunnel...
Unfortunately, it’s about 5 miles round trip, so I didn’t think we had the time to attempt the dam hike on this particular morning.
Too bad, but... yeah, that'd take a bit.
If you did have time, would you have done it? Would Drew have been able to do that distance?
And as it would turn out, the dam tunnel
That's better.
was flooded and we didn’t have proper footwear
You mean scuba gear?
If you thought the dam jokes were bad enough, I forced Julie to take this photo on the drive out. As if you needed further proof that my sense of humor has been stunted since age 10.

dfUiFylLDekHdO_LQlK-c7s5fsXAbHc8Zfd1B2PenMJC5i8lt7F-9fDZebs3C106CWb3BLy-wVlV_FadPRFSViNp5Hp8WsVDVBRo2VM0yAy8l-epSvvsYUhB3nBhF9smgrYEy-a8FeRnmxXXmbcGwJxz3iR23YiP2H-_q7BMvEfWpPR93_gbG-2WxSoyecT25IQM2VlgbctXjG_3zYrk_J2Rml82Rj0C_62yga3Qf-_Y6yGyhkTXoVIEvLbCAOqRaC2kDsoQADkvR4XmSylXynzCzPOgZKyjY78ZGm6abwvTezH5kSihhgMhHSFaXVEBHd6JQSYeXOu0P5Rw921I5d3HY_qe9RIG-QyQM2e3EeylpJyT_JcJR49u19Z1TucRAE5jEM8KpUHJ-Qnnlm2uVj95nz0LwiihY6B6cGOP0mTQUnePk1OcJ1ERAXRseCxki3H0fr2tWqKDKxVeoL4il2eMV7stuRS5Lg5ojqF41fRmlfxM9Mn1fCh8wImd4PSbHLE-1qs6oDZ9myZiP80KAp5bsAw_zj9R9iaxgtlkCIgUlRsbwm9K7tm0ljtDVtkdiOfJrxfiNKToX5GsxqVU70Xwk1N07v_ko3UBOnJRN26rwYevvNdG1QeR1JrRVE9ZKOTz5eO2g6M2N2bqzUVJ0ryJ5r0zeCzt=w606-h807-no
:lmao:
:laughing: I've done this exact same pose!
Lovely. I'm sure she's thrilled you posted that.
Must ask her (being FB friends and all.)
where the last vestiges of winter could be seen if you looked hard enough.
Just another black and white photo. Blue sky, though. You must've hand-tinted that.
She started talking with them about our arrival time when suddenly she shouted, “Oh my gosh! I have to go! We just spotted bears!” and hung up on my poor cousin.
Bears trump family.

Ask anyone in Chicago.
There was a nice overlook where I’m sure we could have gotten some wonderful photos of it. But we all just wanted the drive to be over with at that point, so that means you get whatever crappy shots we could get out of the car window as we blew past.
Yeah... been there a lot the last couple road trips.
I had a BBQ bison burger, which was pretty delicious.
Makes up for the washboard road?
That evening, they took us on a drive up a mountain to Donner Pass.
Now that/them I did know about and didn't have to Google.

But I did anyways, since I couldn't remember just how many there were in the party.
I supposed we could have pitched a tent and spent the night there at Donner Pass, but…well, I wasn’t taking any chances. We went to the Best Western instead.
Wait... where's Drew??????????????

The rays of sun from the backlighting make a neat alternate effect though. Great view both ways!
We’d never stand for a road in such horrible condition in Delaware! Hey, I can say these things…I’m a trained professional. And I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express on this trip.
You lean on that shovel and tell them what's up!!!
Ultimately, the project went forward, the reservoir was created, and all that was left now was for my family to endure my never-ending supply of dam jokes, which have been scientifically proven to never get old.
No. No they don't!
If not for that dam, would Teslas even be a thing? And if so, it certainly wouldn't be headquartered in the Bay area!
And as it would turn out, the dam tunnel was flooded and we didn’t have proper footwear, so we ended up not doing any part of the hike whatsoever.
Well we don't want to get anybody's dam shoes soaked with the dam water!
I approve. :thumbsup2 :lmao:
It became a little more interesting once we got up into the mountains, where the last vestiges of winter could be seen if you looked hard enough.
Just a little bit of melt yet to happen...
She started talking with them about our arrival time when suddenly she shouted, “Oh my gosh! I have to go! We just spotted bears!” and hung up on my poor cousin.

In her defense, we did indeed see a couple of brown bears, just playing around in the woods.
For your cousins, probably not a big deal. For you guys, a bear sighting is certainly worth hanging up on them.
I supposed we could have pitched a tent and spent the night there at Donner Pass, but…well, I wasn’t taking any chances.
Good call.
We went to the Best Western instead.
Um... the tent on Donner Pass doesn't look quite so bad now.

As you might expect, Tunnel View isn’t quite as spectacular in the early morning,
Amazing how the sunlight can make the view so different. Still spectacular though.

I was convinced you were making it up until I saw the sign.

all that was left now was for my family to endure my never-ending supply of dam jokes, which have been scientifically proven to never get old.
Absolutely never gets old. I love reading your dam trip reports. Seems like there’s one every dam trip.

As if you needed further proof that my sense of humor has been stunted since age 10.
You’re not alone.

Julie was the winner, with 7. Congratulations, honey!
Something to add to her resume.

It looks like a Canadian road in winter. Pretty impressive snow drift. If that kind of thing impresses you.

I had a BBQ bison burger, which was pretty delicious.
Bison is great. I don’t get the opportunity to eat it much since it’s a western thing, but it’s tasty.

If you’re not familiar at all with the story of the Donner Party…well, feel free to check it out
I can honestly say I’ve learned something. It was bound to happen eventually. I had heard of the Donner party but really had no idea about the story. Pretty fascinating actually. But depressing at the same time.

Amazing what a shot where people are looking AWAY from the sun can do to open their eyes.

After about 12 miles simulating the Dinosaur ride at AK (without the dinosaurs), we arrived at the gate.

Maybe it should have been called Wretch Wretchy....

The dam was a highly controversial project, opposed by many environmentalists (including John Muir) at the time due to the beauty of the Hetch Hetchy valley,

Some things never change.

Especially those who might be your loudest voices in protest.

Add that one to the list for the return trip.

Here's a TR Title for you to use for that one:

Vacation Be Damed!

Winner, winner, post-chicken dinner.

That looks identical to the one you ate in Salem. Hmmm, do you have like 1 photo of a burger and just use it for every TR ?
;)

well, feel free to check it out, but just be warned that the burger above might not look as appetizing to you afterwards.

You beat me to it.

I went and read your dry heat trip since I’m planning that one with my kids for my milestone birthday. There are some great pointers sprinkled in with the shenanigans.

Thanks! Hope it helps you in your planning. That's a great area to visit.

Departure day is always a bummer. I’ve enjoyed following your family’s trip. Incidentally, on our last road trip, my son found an podcast (The Alarmist) about the Donner party. Both interesting and frightening...

We had one more day to see some sights. So it wasn't all tears yet.

The Donner Party...just amazing what they went through.

Sorry you couldn’t take a dam hike.

At least we saw the dam lake.

This is an exceptionally accurate statement.

Gotta beat the riff-raff to the insults around here.

Oh, yeah. I've been there. Well, not there... but there.

If you don't know what I mean, there, there, I can explain.

There, there. We've all been there.

Do we not have the technology yet to have the icing spread from edge to edge?????

But that would cost them another $0.03 in production.

You're right. It's still incredible.

Ooohhh… You guys should go!

Hey, I like that idea!

Always fun. I used to drive on one of those (for 2 hours) about twice every couple months (for 3.5 years).
Did you learn to vary your speed to match the washboard and minimize the jarring?

I thought if I went fast enough I could just fly over all the potholes.

So... really, no difference?

There was more sunlight, too.

Had to Google him.

He was a major figure in the history of our national parks.

The dam path...

It never gets old!

Meh. Too stark. All black and whites. No blue skies. No green trees...

:rotfl2:

Meh. That's what nuclear reactors are for.

Would you like to play Global Thermonuclear War?

...dam tunnel...

Patience...

Too bad, but... yeah, that'd take a bit.
If you did have time, would you have done it? Would Drew have been able to do that distance?

If we'd had all morning, I think we could have done it. Drew would have gotten some piggyback rides at various points during the hike. But we can trade off there.

That's better.

Toldja.

You mean scuba gear?

Well, we'd already seen the effects of wet shoes on a hike.

:laughing: I've done this exact same pose!

It doesn't work, does it?

Lovely. I'm sure she's thrilled you posted that.
Must ask her (being FB friends and all.)

Well, she posted it on her own FB page at the time, so...

Just another black and white photo. Blue sky, though. You must've hand-tinted that.

It's artsy, don't you think? I'm all about the art.

Bears trump family.

Ask anyone in Chicago.

Now all I can think of are those SNL skits.

Yeah... been there a lot the last couple road trips.

I can imagine. Eventually, you just want the drive to end...

Makes up for the washboard road?

It certainly made for a good ending to the day!

Now that/them I did know about and didn't have to Google.

But I did anyways, since I couldn't remember just how many there were in the party.

More at the start than the end.

Too soon?

Wait... where's Drew??????????????

I blame Julie.

But that would cost them another $0.03 in production.
Great!
We'll go into production.
We'll buy poptarts, add $0.03 worth of frosting and sell them for an extra $2.50.
I thought if I went fast enough I could just fly over all the potholes.
It's not speed... it's timing. Trust me. I know.
He was a major figure in the history of our national parks.
So I saw.
Would you like to play Global Thermonuclear War?
Now that's something I haven't heard in a long time!
Hmm... came out in 1983. Pretty sure I saw it in the theatre.
Well, we'd already seen the effects of wet shoes on a hike.
So go all in and get completely wet.
It doesn't work, does it?
But it feels like it does.
Well, she posted it on her own FB page at the time, so...
:lmao:
It's artsy, don't you think? I'm all about the art.
Yes! You are! I know that about you!!!

Wait... did you say "art" or "fart"?
Now all I can think of are those SNL skits.
heart attack.gif
More at the start than the end.

Too soon?
Nah. You're good.
Which is more than I can say about the Donner party.,

Sheesh. Some party.
I blame Julie.
:laughing:

The rays of sun from the backlighting make a neat alternate effect though. Great view both ways!

It's such a beautiful spot. It would look good anytime.

You lean on that shovel and tell them what's up!!!

And get off my lawn!

If not for that dam, would Teslas even be a thing? And if so, it certainly wouldn't be headquartered in the Bay area!

Does that mean I could get my favorite parking space back?

Well we don't want to get anybody's dam shoes soaked with the dam water!

Dam right!

I approve. :thumbsup2 :lmao:

I figured the Poopenaut Valley would find some more fans here.

Just a little bit of melt yet to happen...

That's something I don't get to see much in Delaware.

For your cousins, probably not a big deal. For you guys, a bear sighting is certainly worth hanging up on them.

Also not something we see in Delaware. We do get our fair share of wild squirrels, though.

Um... the tent on Donner Pass doesn't look quite so bad now.

Not a fan of the Worst Western?

Amazing how the sunlight can make the view so different. Still spectacular though.

Yeah, it was a great spot any time of day.

I was convinced you were making it up until I saw the sign.

Me? Make stuff up in a TR? Perish the thought.

Absolutely never gets old. I love reading your dam trip reports. Seems like there’s one every dam trip.

I will go out of my way just for the dam jokes.

You’re not alone.

I knew it!

Something to add to her resume.

I mean, I was impressed.

It looks like a Canadian road in winter. Pretty impressive snow drift. If that kind of thing impresses you.

It impresses me, if only because I rarely get to see that much snow at one time.

Bison is great. I don’t get the opportunity to eat it much since it’s a western thing, but it’s tasty.

I do love a good bison burger.

I can honestly say I’ve learned something. It was bound to happen eventually. I had heard of the Donner party but really had no idea about the story. Pretty fascinating actually. But depressing at the same time.

It was a freak, horrible situation. I can't imagine what that was like. And can't believe that anyone survived.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts