This Trip Report Is Under Refurbishment For Your Future Enjoyment (UPDATED 9/13 with final bonus chapter)

Joining in. My dd just turned 13 in August and I have all ready been on the receiving end of some of those teenage stink eye. I suspect I will be seeing many more of them in the years to come.

We’re talking a whole mess of introductory crap that most of you will skim right through just so you can post “first” in the replies or promise to come back and read later after you wash your hair or something.

My hair is incredibly clean now. Thanks.

it seemed as though all of Walt Disney World was under construction, so I figured that would make as good a title as any.

It works.

I'd read it anyway, but that one works.

and we’re currently at 47 (with Oregon, Washington, and Alaska left to be visited).

Clearly saving the best for last. ;)

How we paid for the trip? By scrimping and saving and taking advantage of a room discount for the summer. And then saving up Disney Visa reward dollars and applying them to the cost of the vacation. And then maxing out the credit card. And then working overtime to pay off the credit card. We also did not get the dining plan. I priced it out for the family just for giggles, and the giggles turned into outright fall-on-the-floor laughter when I saw it would cost our family almost $2,500 just for the dining plan by itself (since 5 of us are considered “adults”). We could take another vacation for that.

Now, that IS funny. Even funnier (in not a good way) that sooooo many people do it without taking the time to do the math. Oddly, those are the same people who vote without facts, so there's that.

Please keep your arms and legs inside the Trip Report at all times

But... why?

Mine too. Thanks Mark!

Sorry Liesa, I would have to disagree with you. CA has Disneyland (small, but still good I've heard). FL has Disneyworld (and some other dark side stuff). Alaska has mosquitos the size of your fist. Washington has M$(hate windows) and the space needle. What's Oregon got (besides you, I mean)? All joking aside, Oregon does have someone special (you), but I wouldn't give it best for last just on that alone. All three have a lot of snow and automatically fall into the not best category (for me). I suppose for Ponzie, Jeff and Darcy (not sure if he's on this thread) and some others, not a big deal, but not best for me. I'm close to Mark...the only 4 I've not been to are Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and Hawaii.

Now, that IS funny. Even funnier (in not a good way) that sooooo many people do it without taking the time to do the math. Oddly, those are the same people who vote without facts, so there's that.
I had a conversation with someone on the bus yesterday about this. They were talking about doing the dining plan and I warned them about cost vs. what you get and told them to search online because there are many places where it's mentioned it's not a good idea. I ran the numbers when I moved our reservations from Swan to Pop because the CM said it was discounted. Even at the discounted price and going to Tiffins (pricey), it still came out $500 more if we'd done the dining plan.

But... why?
Because he said so. Duh!

Besides, It's his TR, he gets to make the rules. :rotfl2:

Fabulous! I cant wait to read all about it! Great Intro!!!!!:cool1:

:welcome: Kimmy! Hope the rest of the TR doesn't let you down!

My hubby and I were in WDW the first week in July. The word hot doesn't even begin to describe the temperature, and we're not a slave to a school calendar. We are just glutton for punishment!!!

:welcome: Ruthie! Yeah, it was blazing hot when we were there, too. Not much you can do about that.

Enjoying the report, and look forward to more. :wave2:

:welcome: and thanks for reading!

Sheesh. Least you could've done is picked up a bit. That's what kids are for.

Oh... that's what kids cause in the first place. Nevermind, then.

It's amazing to me that I can send them to clean up stuff on the floor and the act of their cleaning somehow results in more stuff on the floor.

Now who would do that?!?!?!?

:rolleyes1

I have to confess I am also guilty of this.

Good. Maybe then I can finally put a good one together.

ha! not likely.

Well, hope springs eternal.

This does not bode well for my solo trips...

Want to borrow a kid?

I gave that up. Now I just post a pithy word or two.

Maybe that's my problem.

Meh. I think you're doing just fine.

ugh... well, that sucks.

I'm sure it'll be cool when it's all done. We didn't really miss out on anything.

I'm surprised you had recovered enough to meet me this fall.

I don't know if "recovered" is the word. We just mindlessly move from one event on the calendar to the next.

Uh huh. Take 'em outta school for a bit!

But the truth is.... it's Julie that's messing that up for you. Just admit it. Then duck.

I had no problem taking them out of school when they were younger, but it's harder to do that when it's high school. They seem to miss so much more.

But yes, it's still all Julie's fault.

Whoa! You've been busy.

Busy avoiding work!:thumbsup2

:rolleyes2

You and me both.

I won't say anything if you won't.

Ha! I've done two of those. And I'm a stinkin' foreigner!

:sad2: Well, you live closer.

Told you.

::yes::

way, way better! massively better! Hugely! Ginormously better!

Thanks for the confirmat--

HEY! :headache:

No. What's not stopping you is that she is not reading this update.

Oh, she read it. So did the kids. But I gave myself equal treatment, so they can't really say anything.

Sorry I missed her. Was looking forward to meeting her.

Yeah, I wish it had worked out. She's a cool kid...

On second thought.... maybe I don't mind that I missed her.

...just don't get on her bad side.

But you can say that about pretty much anyone. Everyone.

Truth. I was wondering who would take advantage of that setup.

I can vouch for this! I think he did it in under 20, actually. I was pretty stunned, actually.

I think under 20 was a new record for him. The fastest I've seen before that was about 24 seconds.

Meh. Drew is probably just about there.

I just got roped into a 3-on-3 soccer tournament for charity at work, and based on our practice--yes, I think he might be able to take me.

Who isn't????

Good point.

Oh, I'm sure he does something to you.

He's making all of my hair fall out.

:laughing: I believe this. He didn't stop once. The other boys turned into exhausted zombies and he just kept right on going.

If he had stopped, he would have fallen asleep. So he just keeps going.

I don't think that would have any effect on him.

I don't want to find out!

Whoops! Sorry.
<goes back to read>

Ha! I knew it!

Of course you do. The reason is because you love it.

Pretty much.

Not at Disney you can't.

True. But we could go a lot of places for that cash.

I don't mind saying.... my brain is getting a bit... fried.

I can imagine. 16 TR's would be a big info dump.

Down to 2-3 now. Feeling kinda burned out now, though.

<starts Rocky theme> You can do it!

No idea why not. I'm still using photobucket. :confused3
How are you posting your photos, Mark?

I use Google Photos to store them. I pull up the photo, right-click on "copy image address" and then paste it into the TR.

We often rent a minivan and find that they are cheaper than some of the other vehicles, then again we travel with enough luggage that we would need to hire a trailer if we didn't get a large vehicle! No room for any kids!

I think minivans run cheaper than a lot of SUV's or luxury cars. But more expensive than regular cars. I use my Costco membership to get some good discounts.

It's amazing to me that I can send them to clean up stuff on the floor and the act of their cleaning somehow results in more stuff on the floor.

There should be a scientific study... run by kids, of course.

Well, hope springs eternal.

It's actually called Disney Springs, but Hope Springs Eternal would've been a better name.

Want to borrow a kid?

Sure! I'll take Drew. We got along just fine and you and Julie can use the rest.

I'm giving him back after a few days, though. Fair warning.

I don't know if "recovered" is the word. We just mindlessly move from one event on the calendar to the next.

I noticed that. I remember that from when the girls were younger.... and from now.

I had no problem taking them out of school when they were younger, but it's harder to do that when it's high school. They seem to miss so much more.

Agreed.

But yes, it's still all Julie's fault.

:laughing:

:sad2: Well, you live closer.

While farther North, there are certain advantages to living in the middle.

Oh, she read it. So did the kids. But I gave myself equal treatment, so they can't really say anything.

That's true.

Yeah, I wish it had worked out. She's a cool kid...

My impression of her, also.

...just don't get on her bad side.

Whoops!

Truth. I was wondering who would take advantage of that setup.

You're welcome.

I just got roped into a 3-on-3 soccer tournament for charity at work, and based on our practice--yes, I think he might be able to take me.

:laughing:

He's making all of my hair fall out.

You think I was always mostly bald and greying??????

If he had stopped, he would have fallen asleep. So he just keeps going.

So it's an act of self preservation. Or... a body in motion tends to remain in motion unless acted on by another force... sleep being that force.

True. But we could go a lot of places for that cash.

You can go almost anywhere for what it costs to go to Disney.

I can imagine. 16 TR's would be a big info dump.

My brain's frazzled.

More frazzled, I mean.

<starts Rocky theme> You can do it!

I did!

I use Google Photos to store them. I pull up the photo, right-click on "copy image address" and then paste it into the TR.

Never heard of that! Huh.... maybe I should look into that.

Joining in. My dd just turned 13 in August and I have all ready been on the receiving end of some of those teenage stink eye. I suspect I will be seeing many more of them in the years to come.

It's all part of the fun! The secret truth nobody wants to acknowledge is that once in a while, we deserve it.

:welcome: aboard!

I knew it!

It works.

I'd read it anyway, but that one works.

We'll take it. I'm not picky.

Uh...yes. Let's go with that.

Gotta do your homework. Eating at Disney is expensive either way, but there's no reason to spend more than is absolutely necessary.

But... why?

Because I said so!

Signing up!

:welcome: to the party!

Mine too. Thanks Mark!

I bet yours took a lot less time.

Sorry Liesa, I would have to disagree with you. CA has Disneyland (small, but still good I've heard). FL has Disneyworld (and some other dark side stuff). Alaska has mosquitos the size of your fist. Washington has M$(hate windows) and the space needle. What's Oregon got (besides you, I mean)? All joking aside, Oregon does have someone special (you), but I wouldn't give it best for last just on that alone. All three have a lot of snow and automatically fall into the not best category (for me). I suppose for Ponzie, Jeff and Darcy (not sure if he's on this thread) and some others, not a big deal, but not best for me. I'm close to Mark...the only 4 I've not been to are Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and Hawaii.

Every state has something special to offer! Well, except maybe Oklahoma.

I had a conversation with someone on the bus yesterday about this. They were talking about doing the dining plan and I warned them about cost vs. what you get and told them to search online because there are many places where it's mentioned it's not a good idea. I ran the numbers when I moved our reservations from Swan to Pop because the CM said it was discounted. Even at the discounted price and going to Tiffins (pricey), it still came out $500 more if we'd done the dining plan.

It's so expensive to pay out of pocket. I wouldn't do the dining plan unless it was discounted.

Because he said so. Duh!

Besides, It's his TR, he gets to make the rules. :rotfl2:

Yeah! Finally, somebody gets it.

Page three, sheesh. That's what I get for not checking obsessively for any new TR by people I've already followed. Don't figure on lots of commentary, tho.

Don't misunderstand me.
It's called Disney Springs... by those misguided souls in upper management.
True DISers will always call it DTD. And acronymize it that way too.

Whew...lucky I didn't call for your crucifixion for your blasphemy.

I thought we'd talked about this, so I was really puzzled when I saw you said it was Disney Springs.

I think I mentioned when we met...I told one of the bus drivers I wanted to go to DTD and he just nodded his head in agreement. I don't think they like the "stupid marketing department thought it would be good name" either.

Acronymize? I kinda like it.

Whew...lucky I didn't call for your crucifixion for your blasphemy.

I thought we'd talked about this, so I was really puzzled when I saw you said it was Disney Springs.

I think I mentioned when we met...I told one of the bus drivers I wanted to go to DTD and he just nodded his head in agreement. I don't think they like the "stupid marketing department thought it would be good name" either.

Acronymize? I kinda like it.
Yep. We're on the same page.

Acronymize. It's a word. I just made it up.

This Trip Report Is Under Refurbishment For Your Future Enjoyment
Well that’s just great…
Now all you have to do is throw in an extra daily charge for parking and shut down every evening for a hard-ticket event and this whole circus will be rolling in profits in no time flat.

Hey there. Sorry about the mess.
You work for a DOT…
I think that we be foolish not to expect anything more than a mess.

We’re talking a whole mess of introductory crap…
Fixed that one for ya’.

that most of you will skim right through just so you can post “first” in the replies or promise to come back and read later after you wash your hair or something.
So…
Just what are you implying here?

I’ve got an idea—how would you like a behind-the-scenes look at how a Trip Report gets put together?
Oooooo…
A back lot tour.

Will this tram be making a stop in Disaster Canyon?

Well, who cares what you think?
No one…
No one ever has, no one ever will.

Especially not the ones that know me.

Step 1: Come up with a cutesy title.
Heck, that’s the easy part.
It’s finishing the thing after you start that’s the problem.

I agonized over this for a while and couldn’t come up with anything good
I beg to differ.

My family and I visited Walt Disney World in the middle of July, 2018. Because we are idiots.
Well, that’s a bit of a given.

and we are also slaves to the school calendar.
There’s the harsh truth.

Good news! You will eventually outgrow that restriction.
But… you well be so far behind on tuition payments that you still can’t go.

Unless….
Well, don’t let me jinx that one just yet.

Anyway, now when you see photos of the construction during this trip report you can feel free to gently point out how out-of-date they are…
Let’s see…
Did you do something as foolish as arriving the week before an entire new “Land” opened up.
And then pack up and leave on the day it actually opened?

Didn’t think so…

Step 3: Establish the “who”
That’d be the bloke at first base.

accompanied by glamorous headshots showing everyone in their best light in order to present yourselves as the perfect family.
Bwwwwaaaaahhhaaaahaaaaaaa….

I’ve got only one young’en and I can’t pull that off.

My name is Mark,
Captain!
Captain Sparrow… errrr… Oblivious.

(and why is the rum gone?)

My family has been on an insane heroic quest to visit all 50 states in the U.S.
Enviable…
I believe the word is, enviable.

Here’s the current family map of places we’ve visited together. My other trip reports about our travels are linked in my signature, if you have hours of time to kill and want to bore yourself to tears.

jaiGINpe-5h-VnMT5kNdxA3CddMnTzUaQfVDdPU-9ZQr3M3BWOQI2ICkrUOW67OcSPpXZTaGwcUUAKEqemLET4rGKpzuVbp4fw_sI5DAoYZeKV3Ik0xTpQkNqqW1MiE3McUdVZBWITJwa994U8cQNDG4w3QGECsNqsuyLVHCX8c7ingXv9eP6VSVduNTONpWOYUaPNbOY1aNjlc31f5BG57hQKWTC4TvG0J6Gni0bB4Ak25QP6hkjlNQQbzo3yvdd33T4me37mi6wTX6xtp5V5aC2mFCltcj7OcnV9g7nF1X8o1Ir113-uY9d4THDu_Wo1KMiKmmoVbG0pNN97HWJqjvQXDcmFOcWL15ZfTB4JyvaT8VjyLwlkY1u2jUYv5qE9-BL0i6hesaLvC9vpGx7ZD3PgUcoi-TMUFmZAhOrE1q7Yv-Q3sV08z7aDfggG_d7A_jlWZstbdikAxwg4VIcI0bL9sPfC1CJ8oX4URyGkxPaWVGnLfUxpsxOgDBvuuweDXLopdvkNwVYDLqj0e69MbfidZ_5qCuy8cWmLBewaXEiuMCi6wrAbTihQGFgFPjR_WbrtVmFVdxoguiCl9SMEdu6TjaFUlXXXPfEC6bK48SB95_jFrGSbgaCIbTSZLQ=w1059-h794-no
And pay close attention to the chapters on Montana, Iowa and Oklahoma.
A more thorough travel log of those locations has never been written.

I’m thankful that for 20 years she hasn’t realized that she outclasses me and could have done way better, and hopefully she’ll never have that moment of realization.
Show me any married fell’a for whom this isn’t a true statement, and I’ll show you someone that is delusional (or is simply a compulsive liar).

Of course, that’s not stopping me from posting this photo:

f4EqufUf8Uict8b_9eQ6kyIHJS8Jd1JnjJHnBzpVWAgu_vFOQtAClRpbOcSesIBz7FTXcdAMlwcgImEyY7M2B8jO9A7JgUhs_nFq7aQ0GZURdOe7ZgSuC6n0fBSkfyPyMKu-OMpnJoaMcrvD0yHFOtzp242H5Js6_8c2XGBPO3XGnHVjGOG_cC-iWbBLpqNFNiT--M_E6CfPF10UtfefvLqFoq40_DVjZolHe4J1n7fc9bXgAY_aJ0MqAwff51pjSaHeDRKV-5MXiWl6wVO3UNBoRAXOGNiXJCtc-y8xEmGQ06qngtBI7_KuG3vKHX7k-DeO0Vkh_eMFI3FhDAwz9xNKLaSuyWLf1MZIqsXa4tUZXig7CT6Pah-2vSSabTHCAWorm3gg6TN2BVku1U--tUNlybK_BQxM4gAntBaKXjEW0o-J38Sjzkk0BPArtWsug5MJ9gGqBd1VqLAhC2uZXoQWGd8TYdtAVMvoYsbhJbEzZa5fmoq3i5o2dohFmX94q55uXdJV3eK5V4k0rr209K6PKf3wlgtCWtSzd-_LpALQu37VDNdvSH3TpH-JE5_c_OZ18JnkAURruRFimdHagiCxSVYNHzLiDJ9tc08cvc_M0BSMw6J_Q6lpo2-O7yzF=w1059-h794-no
There is a fine line between thrill-seeking and stupidity, ya’ know.

She is an incredibly strong woman who can destroy anyone with the mere power of her stinkeye.
A devastating super-power to have.
Just imagine if the doctors had upgraded her with Adamantium as well.

David is my 14-year-old son. He is smarter than I am.
Of course he is.
He’s fourteen.

Scotty is our 12-year-old.
And the master of Happening.

Andrew (or Drew) is our 4-year-old bundle of terror joy. Supposedly he “keeps us young”
Anyone that says that should be boiled in their own pudding.
(because they obviously have never had kids)

And to keep him away from caffeine
Are you going to be running a pool on just how long you were able to pull that one off?
I’ll put five bucks down on forty-five minutes..

Yes, that made a total of 13 people to attempt to coordinate for the entire week. That went about as well as you would expect.
About like trying to nail a couple pounds of Jello to a tree, I ‘spect.

but we still managed to put the “fun” in dysfunctional.
Show me a family that ain’t dysfunctional.
I dare ya’

Nobody likes a skimmer.
Especially the ones attached to credit card readers…

I mean, do you really need a reason to go to Disney World?
Is this even a question?

How we traveled?
By minivan, the stylish choice of middle-class families worldwide.
‘Cause whatever pride we may have had in our youth has long since been beaten out of us.

How we paid for the trip?
Blood and Treasure…

And then saving up Disney Visa reward dollars and applying them to the cost of the vacation.
Now that one, we do employ.
Got a potentially interesting plan for those points depending on a few things
(but I’m still trying not to jinx it)

And then working overtime to pay off the credit card.
Given that one is actually paid for overtime…

We also did not get the dining plan.
Unless it’s offered for free, it’s not an option (for us at least)
We can generally split most counter service meals and usually skip breakfast anyway.
Save up a bit extra for maybe one good table service and you’re considerably below the going DP rate (oh, and make sure to save some for several rounds of booze too – now that they offer such)

Please keep your arms and legs inside the Trip Report at all times
Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas!

The exciting drive down I-95 to get to Disney World.
:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

And we go through some shenanigans
Nothing new about that…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!