This weeks DVC show

kniquy

DIS Veteran
During this past weeks disboards DVC show I could have sworn that part of the discussion it mentioned Disney buying back contracts (mentioned by the sales rep from the timeshare store). Meaning you no longer want your DVC or you need to get out, you could contact DVC and they will buy it back. She also noted that in the past DVC would just refer you to a resale broker and not buy them back.

I didn't believe this to be an option. I am not in the market to get rid of my DVC contracts, but I am wondering if this is true information or not. Is this something new?

Will DVC buy back contracts if you contact them? If so, has someone done this? what is the price they are buying it back at? is there any negotiation?

It just struck me as odd and i'm not sure if it is true.

There was talk several years ago about Disney offering to buy back a contract. I thought it was BCV and they offered the owner something like $55 a point. And it was selling resale much higher at the time.

There was talk several years ago about Disney offering to buy back a contract. I thought it was BCV and they offered the owner something like $55 a point. And it was selling resale much higher at the time.
I'm sure it wouldn't be anywhere near prevailing market rates.

Jaimie Carr had mentioned that it started a couple of years ago, I think? When I spoke to a guide back in May, he mentioned the same thing. I think this is a line they're employing more as a counterpoint to when people bring up the restrictions; maybe some sort of assurance that the rug won't be pulled out from under the buyer?

The guide did specifically qualify this though, saying that it would depend on if the resort was actively selling and what the demand presently is for that contract.

So basically, Disney will buy back... or not... it depends...

That guide wasn't referring to ROFR?

I thought the same, but no it's different. They will actually buy your contract (no middle man) for some ridiculously low price. They mentioned it to me in 2017 when I bought my CCR, and since it's my first (and only) direct contract I didn't realize it was 'new', but it did strike me as odd. Maybe since I had 3 other resale contracts they felt the need to mention it?

did they ever get to an offer price?
Silly me, I didn't ask, just turn down the offer immediately. I guess they would have offered to pay me back what I paid in 2012, which would have been a very bad deal for me, since I could resell now for double what I paid.

Hmmm, I once asked my guide (last year). Basically I wanted them to buy back one of mine so I could use that $$ towards buying my CCV. She told me nope. I don't even think I mentioned which resort I wanted them to buy back (OKW, BWV or HHI). She just flat out said 'no can do'.

I loved listening to The DVC Show podcast. I always listen to the different podcasts, not watch them, because I listen while I am in the car. Episodes 1-12 were available through RSS Radio which is what I use to download all the different DIS podcasts. But it seems like episodes after #12 are no longer available through that channel. Is there a reason why? I really want to be able to listen to all the episodes.

We've had many clients who claim when speaking with DVC about selling their membership, (not sure if they spoke with their Guide, Member Administration, Member Finance, or Member Services) that Disney had made them an offer to purchase back the package directly. This is not referring to Right of First Refusal, but just an offer to buy the property back, before the seller finds a buyer. The offer Disney makes is always well below the resale value. As and example, The Boardwalk may resell between $115 to $125 per point with the DVCStore (in the current market), verses the same package, if Disney were to offer to buy it back directly from the Member...their offer would be around $60 per point. So the difference is significant. Disney will also refer those same sellers to our company to see if we could assist them in selling. My guess is Disney is trying to scoop up packages at a low price if the seller is in a pinch and did not want to go through selling on the secondary market. Disney does not always offer this option to buy back packages directly...there are times Disney will make these offers....and times when they do not. I guess it will depend on demand and inventory they have or need.

I loved listening to The DVC Show podcast. I always listen to the different podcasts, not watch them, because I listen while I am in the car. Episodes 1-12 were available through RSS Radio which is what I use to download all the different DIS podcasts. But it seems like episodes after #12 are no longer available through that channel. Is there a reason why? I really want to be able to listen to all the episodes.
@TahoeMom just to let you know after episode #12 the show was switched to its own feed. Search "Disney Vacation Club Show" and you should find it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts