Thomas Markle, father of Meghan

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
What are your thoughts on this guy?

I don't know whether to feel sorry for him, or if he's his own worst enemy. It's hard to tell from news stories - you never know if what you're reading about him is real or contrived.

It does seem sad he didn't get to attend his daughter's wedding to Prince Harry, and that there seems to be so much embarrassment and humiliation surrounding him, such as his taking money for being photographed "pretend shopping" for wedding attire, or now allegedly that the whole "heart attack" and surgery were made up to save face for not attending the wedding.

The rest of the family, aside from Meghan's mother, also seem to have a lot of controversy surrounding them.

For her part, Meghan seems to be handling all the hoopla in terms of her family pretty well. It has to be hard for her.

ETA: Bio https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Markle

Last edited:
Don’t feel sorry for him. Not one bit. He had plenty of privilege bestowed upon him. Could say he may have been misguided by his oldest daughter, yet he was in the entertainment industry and knows how it all works. In the words of Ursula “Poor unfortunate soul, so sad, so true.” His oldest played the part of Ursula. He decided to sign on the dotted line. Now his oldest daughter signed up for celebrity big brother.

Meghan seemed very much estranged or dropped the rope from her father and her half siblings due to actions and behaviors.

I’m living this scenario now. It’s either put up with the toxicity or drop the rope/cutoff. It’s definitely hard and it’s ultimately a no win scenario. Yet it’s best to remain silent. There’s just no reconciliation with these types that will work in Meghan’s favor. Absolutely none. As long as someone is listening, they’ll continue their smear campaign in order to get what they want.

What are your thoughts on this guy?

I don't know whether to feel sorry for him, or if he's his own worst enemy. It's hard to tell from news stories - you never know if what you're reading about him is real or contrived.

It does seem sad he didn't get to attend his daughter's wedding to Prince Harry, and that there seems to be so much embarrassment and humiliation surrounding him, such as his taking money for being photographed "pretend shopping" for wedding attire, or now allegedly that the whole "heart attack" and surgery were made up to save face for not attending the wedding.

The rest of the family, aside from Meghan's mother, also seem to have a lot of controversy surrounding them.

For her part, Meghan seems to be handling all the hoopla in terms of her family pretty well. It has to be hard for her.

ETA: Bio https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Markle
I think he’s his own worst enemy. I’m actually surprised with her whole family drama that the marriage was even approved. To your point, she seems to be handling it well and I know you can’t choose your family but I hope it doesn’t get out of control.

I read this myself and was not shocked that the heart attack story was fabricated. It all seemed to be timed too perfectly and made for a very convenient "out."

I just feel sorry for Meghan in that this is playing out in the public eye. Many people have bad relationships with parents. At this point, I feel, it just needs to be dropped in terms of being a news story.

ETA: Feeling sorry for her is a bit strong, I really don't care that much.

I suspect that he’s being encouraged or supported to do some of these odd things by the people in his life. I had read at one point that Meghan had a half-sister that was helping him “navigate the media attention,” but she seems to be in it for herself.

Whether it’s the hope for money or attention, I do feel bad for Meghan that they seem to continue to pop up in random news feeds. It has to be a frustrating and hurtful experience.

1. he is American so he does not understand or have knowledge of the the royal protocols and how things are done in the UK. There is a huge cultural and social disconnect between him and a British man of the same age.

2. as Harry is not an immediate heir to the throne, the offices of the royal family did not have contact with Megans family before the wedding. This led to Megans family not getting media training or training in royal protocols before official announcements of the engagements.

both of these combined have led to the perfect storm we have now

1. he is American so he does not understand or have knowledge of the the royal protocols and how things are done in the UK. There is a huge cultural and social disconnect between him and a British man of the same age.

2. as Harry is not an immediate heir to the throne, the offices of the royal family did not have contact with Megans family before the wedding. This led to Megans family not getting media training or training in royal protocols before official announcements of the engagements.

both of these combined have led to the perfect storm we have now

To point 1, there are many American men who could gracefully and successfully navigate the protocols of the Royal family.

He happens to be a washed up buffoon supported by crazy children-half siblings to Meghan. We have a few off color phrases for families like this.

Unfortunately, he'll continue to make news and be a thorn in Meghan's side as long as he can make $ from it. I saw the crazy half sister on an interview in a tirade that Meghan was doing Royal duties instead of gushing over 'dad's' birthday last week.

I'm sorry they are a bad example of American families.

Last edited:

This is just such typical toxic behavior from a controlling family member. When they can no longer control the family member who has broken away from the dysfunction (Meghan), they try to control how everyone perceives that person. Usually that means trash-talking that person to everyone else in the family and friends circle; in this case, unfortunately, he has the ear of the media. Poor Meghan.

I haven't paid much attention, just read the headlines.

It's best that Meghan Markle is ignoring him for now. Maybe if he behaves himself for a year or so, he and Meghan can repair their relationship.

When Megan had Prince Charles walk her the remaining way down the aisle, to me that was a clear indication how she felt. Also if Megan never married Harry, I wonder how much contact she would of had with her father. He was the recluse who moved to Mexico. They probably spoke or emailed each other on Christmas and Father’s Day.

That side of the family is just out there for money and their 15 minutes of fame. If they were actually interested in being part of Meghan's life then they would have actively attempted to maintain a relationship PRIOR to her landing tv roles and becoming romantically involved with royalty.

Did anyone really believe that heart attack story?
He probably had anxiety issues, which can mimic heart issues. Thus the trip to the hospital and he probably needs a follow up and some kind of procedures done.
Getting a slushy at the 7-11 the next day I am pretty sure doesn't warrant a heart attack.

Sorry, that's hogwash! (And you being overly kind to T. Markle and trying to give him an out.) I'm American and not even remotely related or have anything to do with the Royals, other than watch them from afar, and I understand & have some knowledge of British protocols. It wouldn't be that hard for someone to explain it to him. He was a former lighting designer. He was used to having producers, directors and technical directors explain to him how things need to be and where things go. He's not special needs.

Don’t feel sorry for him. Not one bit. He had plenty of privilege bestowed upon him. Could say he may have been misguided by his oldest daughter, yet he was in the entertainment industry and knows how it all works. In the words of Ursula “Poor unfortunate soul, so sad, so true.” His oldest played the part of Ursula. He decided to sign on the dotted line. Now his oldest daughter signed up for celebrity big brother.

Meghan seemed very much estranged or dropped the rope from her father and her half siblings due to actions and behaviors.

I’m living this scenario now. It’s either put up with the toxicity or drop the rope/cutoff. It’s definitely hard and it’s ultimately a no win scenario. Yet it’s best to remain silent. There’s just no reconciliation with these types that will work in Meghan’s favor. Absolutely none. As long as someone is listening, they’ll continue their smear campaign in order to get what they want.

This made me gag!
She will now have an open mic to spew her crap. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter