Thoughts on Lowball Offer

My wife and I just signed the contract for an AKV 100 point contract for $95 a point with no dues until 2021. I'm sure it may go lower in the future, but we were super happy with that price, especially in that point range. It's our first DVC purchase so and we really wanted to start with a nice, round 100 point contract. We initially came in very low around $80 a point and the initial contract was listed at $110.
Who was the listing broker? I offered $95 on a 100 pt AKV, buyer paying closing, Fidelity admin fee, and '20 maintenance fees. No 19 points. Anyway, supposedly the seller said the offer was so low, they didn't even consider it a real offer, so would not give a counter!! They had asked $112. That was March 23, and it still shows as sale pending on Fidelity. I wonder if they got full asking price, or what they took, and why it has not moved on.

Who was the listing broker? I offered $95 on a 100 pt AKV, buyer paying closing, Fidelity admin fee, and '20 maintenance fees. No 19 points. Anyway, supposedly the seller said the offer was so low, they didn't even consider it a real offer, so would not give a counter!! They had asked $112. That was March 23, and it still shows as sale pending on Fidelity. I wonder if they got full asking price, or what they took, and why it has not moved on.

It really doesn't matter who the broker is. I made an offer several months ago on an AKV contract and the seller declined to counter. No big deal, and actually I appreciate the seller letting me know very clearly we are far apart and very unlikely to come to a deal.

Don't take it personally. It's just business. There are lots of contracts out there, and (almost) none of them are unicorns.

Wasn’t the purpose of asking who the broker was to see if it was the same contract?

It really doesn't matter who the broker is. I made an offer several months ago on an AKV contract and the seller declined to counter. No big deal, and actually I appreciate the seller letting me know very clearly we are far apart and very unlikely to come to a deal.

Don't take it personally. It's just business. There are lots of contracts out there, and (almost) none of them are unicorns.
Thank you. I really didn't think $95 was a lowball offer from $112, with me paying everything and it not being loaded, and with the pandemic, I thought it was quite reasonable, but it seemed like they were insulted.

Wasn’t the purpose of asking who the broker was to see if it was the same contract?
No actually, I think I saw their UY on the rofr thread, and it is not the same contract. But I do still wonder what they accepted on the contract I bid on, and why it has not moved on yet. After I saw GCFrost price on rofr thread, I looked and found several 100 pt AKV $95, so I guess it is not uncommon, and was reasonable as I thought. That should make me feel better, but it doesn't. It was the owner's response, which as striker1064 said, I should not take personally.

Therein lies the problem with some sellers. ALWAYS make a counter offer. You never know how much higher the buyer is willing to go. Maybe they are just lowballing to see if you're desperate and will sell at that price.

When I bought my 2nd contract, after some negotiation, I came up from my original offer of $122 to $135 and the seller accepted. I recently made a low ball at $20 below asking and the broker did not even respond. I would have been willing to pay more, but their loss. The contract is still for sale as of today, and I have since purchased a different one.

I just made my first offer for 160points at AKL 2019 points won’t be able to be banked|2020 150 |2021 160.
They were asking $107 I offered $89 will this insult them?

Therein lies the problem with some sellers. ALWAYS make a counter offer.

Strong disagree. As a former seller, I didn't counter every offer either. I was selling a PVB 150 point contract and had it listed for $140. I was more than willing to negotiate (and did eventually accept a lower offer), but one day I received an offer of $115 with me paying current year dues. I simply declined and moved on. No hard feelings - at the time there were a ton of PVB contracts for sale and even quite a few with the same UY, and my contract was just one of them. That buyer was looking for a steal and I wasn't desperate to sell, so it wasn't going to come from me. But I also knew I wasn't going to make it as low as that seller wanted.

It's ok to walk away. Not everything has to be a game. I read a lot of people here that get way too emotionally invested in their offers. You have to be robotic about it. DVC has been selling a long time and will continue to sell. That contract is not the only one. When I buy, I have a price in my head and I walk if I don't get it. Same when selling - I set my list price a little above what I'd reasonably take for it and I either get the offer I want or I don't. No big deal.

Strong disagree. As a former seller, I didn't counter every offer either. I was selling a PVB 150 point contract and had it listed for $140. I was more than willing to negotiate (and did eventually accept a lower offer), but one day I received an offer of $115 with me paying current year dues. I simply declined and moved on. No hard feelings - at the time there were a ton of PVB contracts for sale and even quite a few with the same UY, and my contract was just one of them. That buyer was looking for a steal and I wasn't desperate to sell, so it wasn't going to come from me. But I also knew I wasn't going to make it as low as that seller wanted.

It's ok to walk away. Not everything has to be a game. I read a lot of people here that get way too emotionally invested in their offers. You have to be robotic about it. DVC has been selling a long time and will continue to sell. That contract is not the only one. When I buy, I have a price in my head and I walk if I don't get it. Same when selling - I set my list price a little above what I'd reasonably take for it and I either get the offer I want or I don't. No big deal.
Sure, if you're getting a lot of offers, don't counter on a really lowball one. I can't disagree with that.

The one that ignored me is still sitting there 6 weeks later. I am pretty confident I would have come up to a price that would have been acceptable to them, but I have since purchased the same contract (#points and UY) elsewhere.

Sure, if you're getting a lot of offers, don't counter on a really lowball one. I can't disagree with that.

The one that ignored me is still sitting there 6 weeks later. I am pretty confident I would have come up to a price that would have been acceptable to them, but I have since purchased the same contract (#points and UY) elsewhere.

I didn't get a lot of offers. In fact, the $115/PT offer was the first I had gotten in weeks. I declined it because I wanted more. I was perfectly fine with sitting on the contract another 6, 8, even 20 weeks.

And look, you got the contract that you wanted at the price you wanted to pay. What difference does it make if that one contract you bid on didn't counter offer you and is still up for sale?

I didn't get a lot of offers. In fact, the $115/PT offer was the first I had gotten in weeks. I declined it because I wanted more. I was perfectly fine with sitting on the contract another 6, 8, even 20 weeks.

And look, you got the contract that you wanted at the price you wanted to pay. What difference does it make if that one contract you bid on didn't counter offer you and is still up for sale?
It doesn't make any difference. All I'm saying is that if you are trying to sell your contract, don't dismiss any offer, whether it is a lowball one or not. You never know who is just messing around and who is serious. Just because someone lowballs you to start doesn't mean they aren't willing to pay top dollar, possibly even your asking price.

As for the broker, ignoring an offer is a sure-fire way of losing that customer forever. You're not the only game in town.

Edit: what pisses me off is not that they didn't counter-offer, but that the broker never even bothered to reply.

It doesn't make any difference. All I'm saying is that if you are trying to sell your contract, don't dismiss any offer, whether it is a lowball one or not. You never know who is just messing around and who is serious. Just because someone lowballs you to start doesn't mean they aren't willing to pay top dollar, possibly even your asking price.

As for the broker, ignoring an offer is a sure-fire way of losing that customer forever. You're not the only game in town.

Edit: what pisses me off is not that they didn't counter-offer, but that the broker never even bothered to reply.

I think I am maybe not articulating my point well enough, so I'm just going to respond one last time and leave it, because it's not worth a protracted debate. A buyer who is willing to go at or very close to your list price does not ask $20-25 below with a willingness to come up $18-22. It just doesn't happen. If you are a buyer like that, you're one in a million. The $115/pt offer I received was $25 below asking and I knew we weren't even in the same stratosphere. I wanted to sell, but I didn't need to sell. It's an important distinction. I was willing to leave my contract up for a year. I had a price in mind that I wanted and I was happy to wait.

I do agree the broker should have replied. That's bad business. But as a person that was once in what appears to be the same situation your previous offer was in, I wouldn't have countered either - but I would have declined. The broker should have told you that.

We just put an offer in. We were debating what to do. When I talked to the agent, I checked what previous purchases of the same DVC were going for and ended up going for full price because of it. It matters on the property. Mine is VGC so harder to get b

We just put an offer in. We were debating what to do. When I talked to the agent, I checked what previous purchases of the same DVC were going for and ended up going for full price because of it. It matters on the property. Mine is VGC so harder to get b
VGC is like its own little world. I would be astounded if prices come down meaningfully there before they start selling the Disneyland Hotel DVC.

For VGC, I think you pretty much need to offer full asking price and do it ASAP.

For VGC, I think you pretty much need to offer full asking price and do it ASAP.

I’ve been kicking myself for years for not buying direct when it opened. I have an April use year at BWV and really wanted the same, which seemed to be rare. I was only looking for 100 points but on January 2 a 150 point showed up for $183 a point. Only 1 point for 2020. Many VGC were going for around $200. I jumped on it and offered $180 and they accepted immediately. Later saw on the tracking thread one for around $175 with current points. But then recently I saw a stripped for $214. Who knows?

Thank goodness my contract was stripped, I don’t have any banked points to deal with this year. I don’t plan to use them until next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter