Thoughts on the $300 Halloween party pass for all parties?

But, limited capacity doesn’t mean low crowds. I have been to the parties where the day hours were less crowded than the party later that evening on the same day.
No it doesn't, and 'low crowds' is a relative term.

Limited Capacity means that the capacity is limited. With the new ticket offering, technically the limited capacity is however many people they can fit into the MK at a single time, so its the same as new years eve.

So I mean I guess it still is technically a limited capacity event. Then again, everything is limited capacity since nothing can can be attended by more than about 7 billion people.

Now I do not think it will have that much of an effect on things, at least I hope not. But, at least technically, they are now selling an unlimited number of tickets for a hard ticketed event, and at least in theory, the crowd can now be the same as it is on the busiest nights of the year - and we are being asked to pay extra for that.

Not to mention, there are going to be families there who did not know about MNSSHP, or didn't plan on it, or whatever, who now all of a sudden want to go. They go to buy a ticket.
"Oh, we are sorry, the event is sold out."
"But my Children really wanted to go."
"Oh well, you can buy the season pass for 300 and you can get in."
"But wait, I thought it was sold out."
"Well, it is, but it isnt..."

So there is a sold out event that I can pay 300$ to get into, but not 80? Is it a rock concert?

People are going to love that one.

No it doesn't, and 'low crowds' is a relative term.

Limited Capacity means that the capacity is limited. With the new ticket offering, technically the limited capacity is however many people they can fit into the MK at a single time, so its the same as new years eve.

So I mean I guess it still is technically a limited capacity event. Then again, everything is limited capacity since nothing can can be attended by more than about 7 billion people.

Now I do not think it will have that much of an effect on things, at least I hope not. But, at least technically, they are now selling an unlimited number of tickets for a hard ticketed event, and at least in theory, the crowd can now be the same as it is on the busiest nights of the year - and we are being asked to pay extra for that.
Are they still advertising it as limited capacity though? Just b/c it can sell out to the non pass ppl doesn’t mean they’re advertising it as a limited capacity event anymore.

Are they still advertising it as limited capacity though? Just b/c it can sell out to the non pass ppl doesn’t mean they’re advertising it as a limited capacity event anymore.
That is my point. Even if they do not explicitly advertise it as a limited capacity event, anything that sells out is limited capacity by definition. How can you not infer it to be limited capacity event when it sells out? What else in the world is like this?

I am not against the passes. Just either make it so they can not get into 'sold out' parties, or make it so the parties are never sold out.

What would your reaction be if you were on a family vacation, wanted to go one night with your family of 4, and had a CM tell you its sold out, unless you buy the 300$ ticket?
Its sold out, so you cant go for 250$. But you can for 1200$

Last edited:
That is my point. Even if they do not explicitly advertise it as a limited capacity event, anything that sells out is limited capacity by definition. How can you not infer it to be limited capacity event when it sells out? What else in the world is like this?

I am not against the passes. Just either make it so they can not get into 'sold out' parties, or make it so the parties are never sold out.

What would your reaction be if you were on a family vacation, wanted to go one night with your family of 4, and had a CM tell you its sold out, unless you buy the 300$ ticket?
Its sold out, so you cant go for 250$. But you can for 1200$
Will there not be a deadline for when passes have to be purchased by? I don’t know.

To be fair, a lot of theme parks charge for their version of express/fastpass (Sea World, Busch Gardens, Six Flags). Honestly I'm surprised Disney hasn't started charging yet, considering how many extra charges they keep introducing (resort parking, all the extra hours events, all the different dining "parties"). Also, it may be a Disney forum but there is a whole section dedicated to Universal if you scroll down some. I for one am more active there as I usually enjoy my Universal trips more than my Disney trips. Especially lately.

Yes, I frequent the Universal forum. But the forum we're on now is Disney related, and that would explain why you don't see posters here complaining about the nickel and diming at Universal.

The point about express pass is that it gives the onsite resorts more value. With Disney, we keep losing the value of staying on-site. Proximity, EMH, DME, and a jump on fast passes and dining are about the extent of it. DME is a good value, but it doesn't compare to the value of EP being included at Universal. And EP is much better than FP.

Yes, I frequent the Universal forum. But the forum we're on now is Disney related, and that would explain why you don't see posters here complaining about the nickel and diming at Universal.

The point about express pass is that it gives the onsite resorts more value. With Disney, we keep losing the value of staying on-site. Proximity, EMH, DME, and a jump on fast passes and dining are about the extent of it. DME is a good value, but it doesn't compare to the value of EP being included at Universal. And EP is much better than FP.

Sorry I just get defensive over Universal cause so many people don't give them credit etc just cause they're "not Disney" lol

We used to do the MNSSHP when they were new and the parks were less crowded. The last few times we've done them, I didn't notice enough of a difference in wait times to be worth it. I remember looking at my wife in line thinking that this certainly went down hill.
This new pass makes the regular tickets to the Halloween party even less attractive than before.

We used to do the MNSSHP when they were new and the parks were less crowded. The last few times we've done them, I didn't notice enough of a difference in wait times to be worth it. I remember looking at my wife in line thinking that this certainly went down hill.
This new pass makes the regular tickets to the Halloween party even less attractive than before.

The foolish side of me is holding out hope this pass will be the new normal with single day party tickets decreasing or being phased out altogether.

And the only reason I say this is because that price increase could very lower demand and thus make it less palatable for people who only go once or twice. So that would be a way to decrease crowds. But I do doubt that's what they're doing.

The foolish side of me is holding out hope this pass will be the new normal with single day party tickets decreasing or being phased out altogether.

And the only reason I say this is because that price increase could very lower demand and thus make it less palatable for people who only go once or twice. So that would be a way to decrease crowds. But I do doubt that's what they're doing.

I would be surprised if the crowd levels Disney wants at these events could be reached with just people who have reason to buy multi party tickets.

Until proven otherwise, I really think it’s a fairly small minority of party goers who would pull the trigger on this. I think it’s probably a pretty vocal minority though.

I feel like DAH has become the new MNSSHP. Everyone is raving about how empty it is, and then all of a sudden, one day, BAM, there will be more crowds and a new event with a higher price tag.

I feel like DAH has become the new MNSSHP. Everyone is raving about how empty it is, and then all of a sudden, one day, BAM, there will be more crowds and a new event with a higher price tag.

This is my worry too about DAH, esp MK. It wasn't exactly empty when I went in February. The snack lines were longer & fewer than what I expected and only a few rides were walk on. Many still up to 30 minutes. Which is still great times but it's a sign IMHO of crowd creep already happening.

This new ticket or not, you should not expect limited crowds. The parties, for the most part, are already very, very crowded. They don't advertise it as a limited capacity event and it's not. If you've ever seen the MK at true capacity though, it's clear that even though crowded, the parties are no where near park capacity. But I'm afraid if you expect a lower crowd at the parties than an average park day, you're going to be very disappointed.

I am viewing the WDW website now. On the MNSSHP ticket page: *Tickets are nontransferable and nonrefundable and may not be resold. The number of tickets available is limited and tickets are valid only for the specific event date and hours.

If the number of tickets available are limited, there should be a limited number of people.

It is what it is. I bought my MNSSP tickets (in April) in good faith that there would be a limited number of tickets available. Disney changed their rules. I won't be fooled again. I have too much $$ invested to back out now. But I won't be back. There are too many other great destinations in America to mess with Disney again.

I think it's a great idea for locals who are really into the party. For me, the best thing about it is that you can go and focus on just a few things each time you're there. You really want a pic with the 7 Dwarfs, but hate losing so much party time to stand in line? No problem...now you can stand in line one day and do the other stuff your other 2 or more party dates. :) Want a prime firework spot without a special add-on event, but hate sitting there waiting while you could be doing other cool Halloween things? Again, this allows you to say "No problem. Tonight I'm just going for the fireworks. I'll grab a few snacks and settle in early and leave when they're over."

I don't think the passes will create massive increases in crowds for this very reason. I think you're going to see the folks with the passes spread out over the entire run of the party and there for smaller chunks of time each party, too.

We love the flexibility of not cramming in everything in one or two nights

That just outlines how bad of a deal the party is to start with. There is not that much at the parties. The main reason you can't get it all in is simply them overselling these parties or you wanting to meet a ton of characters.

Oh well nothing will change for a few years when more people suggest skipping vs going to the party.

I am viewing the WDW website now. On the MNSSHP ticket page: *Tickets are nontransferable and nonrefundable and may not be resold. The number of tickets available is limited and tickets are valid only for the specific event date and hours.

If the number of tickets available are limited, there should be a limited number of people.

It is what it is. I bought my MNSSP tickets (in April) in good faith that there would be a limited number of tickets available. Disney changed their rules. I won't be fooled again. I have too much $$ invested to back out now. But I won't be back. There are too many other great destinations in America to mess with Disney again.

It is a limited number of people. The problem is with the limit they set- whatever it is, it's too many. In reality, every ticket they sell for anything is "limited". They can only sell up to capacity. The term really means nothing in regards to crowd levels and it's misleading.

I think it's a great idea for locals who are really into the party. For me, the best thing about it is that you can go and focus on just a few things each time you're there. You really want a pic with the 7 Dwarfs, but hate losing so much party time to stand in line? No problem...now you can stand in line one day and do the other stuff your other 2 or more party dates. :) Want a prime firework spot without a special add-on event, but hate sitting there waiting while you could be doing other cool Halloween things? Again, this allows you to say "No problem. Tonight I'm just going for the fireworks. I'll grab a few snacks and settle in early and leave when they're over."

I don't think the passes will create massive increases in crowds for this very reason. I think you're going to see the folks with the passes spread out over the entire run of the party and there for smaller chunks of time each party, too.

What you're describing is exactly why I think it will significantly increase wait times- people who visit multiple times are much more likely to spend a party doing a specific thing- getting in line to see the dwarves or just watching fireworks. They're much more willing to spend their evening camping out for fireworks or a character meet than those who just visit once and want to do a lot of things in an evening.

This ticket is obviously just mainly for the locals. The majority of people that go to Disney for vacation, usually go for around a week and buy a pass to get into the parks also. They are not going to buy a $300 pass to go to 3plus MNSSHP's. IMO, I think Disney should worry more about pleasing their visiting guests from out of state and not have the parks jammed with locals every night of the party.

Is the $300 Halloween ticket only for AP holders? or can anyone buy these? What about parking? Free?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!