Thoughts on "The Rookie"

RyMickey

Disney Freak
Just saw the sneak preview tonight...

Talk about a good old-fashioned family-friendly movie...This is the kind of movie that Disney should be making. The story was very simple...if you've seen the trailer you know what happens. Still, this movie is incredibly moving . Dennis Quaid is superb (personally I think he's probably the most underrated actor around today).

Still, Disney may find problems with this one because of a few things: (1) It's long - 2 hours, 10 minutes. Don't get me wrong, it never feels long, but the length takes away how many times a theatre can play the movie; and (2) The movie really isn't for kids. There's nothing objectionable in it, but this is a drama that, although it is "kid-friendly," doesn't aim to please the kid-crowd as much as it aims to please the adult-crowd. The theatre that we saw it in was nearly sold out, with the majority of the crowd being teens and adults (can you imagine teens actually wanting to see a G-rated movie?). Everyone seemed to have very good comments about it as we left the theatre, though.

As for previews, we saw the Little Mermaid "Lilo and Stitch" teaser that ran in front of Cadet Kelly on the Disney Channel and one for "The Country Bears." This one looks just plain corny...but then again, the attraction is, too.

As for "The Rookie" this truly is one of the best films Disney has made in a long time, animated or live-action. This one is defintely going to become part of our DVD collection. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

The Rookie: A

RyMickey

Are you thinking of Rookie of the Year? Where the kid injuries his arm and becomes a star pitcher? I think his name was gardenhoser or something.

CinemaScore, which polls audiences as they leave theaters, reports that 100% of all patrons polled who saw "The Rookie" on Saturday night gave the movie an "excellent" or "very good" rating and that the audience skewed slightly more male than female. Disney must be overjoyed with this news.

As for the previous movie named "The Rookie:" There was one a few years ago with Albert Brooks and, I believe, Brendan Fraser. It flopped, but you can sometimes catch it on Comedy Central.

RyMickey

There was also a bad Charlie Sheen / Clint Eastwood (?) movie with the same title.

This new Disney movie definitely sounds like a winner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter