Thoughts on the Sony A7 for Disneyland (esp Dark Rides)?

countofmc

Mouseketeer
I'm an enthusiast photographer and have taken a lot of different types of cameras to DL. My last trip was the first time I took a DSLR in the form of a Nikon D600. I got some of the best pictures I've ever gotten at the parks with it, but I did get tired of carrying around a DSLR and lenses. For my next trip I want to go back to using mirrorless. The Sony A7 (mark 1) has come down to a ridiculously low price now. So it's tempting, as the FF Sensor should get me image quality comparable to the D600. And the size is good.

But my biggest concern is AF- both speed and accuracy- especially in low light situations like at night and especially on some of the rides. Heck even the DSLR D600 struggled at times in some fast moving dark rides getting AF.

Anyone own/owned an A7 and tried it at the Disney parks? How did you find the overall experience and especially autofocus performance?

The newer Sony cameras have good autofocus but I wouldn’t put much reliance in the a7 AF on dark rides.
Simple solution — use manual focus with focus peaking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!