Thoughts on today’s show 8/13/2019?

blewits

Wendy
Found it. Just completed it. Great show. Anyone have thoughts about it?

Mine:

Johns video was awesome. Made me a little weepy. I’m so grateful he did that. It was done so well. For me at least, who was not present. I thought about all of you all week. Nice to see how it went.

I am going to send $100 to give kids the world in the Dis’s name before I even contact friends. And I’m going to send that as a payoff to Pete so that I may use the phrase “Instatwitter” for the rest of my life.

Agree, don’t give a rip about NBA Experience. Whatever . . .

So glad to hear about the money raised for GKTW. That is awesome.

I hope the Halloween Party is better for y’all and everybody else.

Can’t wait to see the review of the Copper Creek Villas. And the D23 news coming next week.

Oh. And I’m so watching these financial reports about park attendance/quarterly reports, etc. I’m one of those, ‘maybe it’s time is done’ folks sitting on the corner. My trip in December will determine it. I hope they figure it out. We stopped using larger cruise ships ages ago because we didn’t want to feel like herded cattle. We shall see.

What did you guys get from today’s episode?

Found it. Just completed it. Great show. Anyone have thoughts about it?

Mine:

Johns video was awesome. Made me a little weepy. I’m so grateful he did that. It was done so well. For me at least, who was not present. I thought about all of you all week. Nice to see how it went.

I am going to send $100 to give kids the world in the Dis’s name before I even contact friends. And I’m going to send that as a payoff to Pete so that I may use the phrase “Instatwitter” for the rest of my life.

Agree, don’t give a rip about NBA Experience. Whatever . . .

So glad to hear about the money raised for GKTW. That is awesome.

I hope the Halloween Party is better for y’all and everybody else.

Can’t wait to see the review of the Copper Creek Villas. And the D23 news coming next week.

Oh. And I’m so watching these financial reports about park attendance/quarterly reports, etc. I’m one of those, ‘maybe it’s time is done’ folks sitting on the corner. My trip in December will determine it. I hope they figure it out. We stopped using larger cruise ships ages ago because we didn’t want to feel like herded cattle. We shall see.

What did you guys get from today’s episode?

Couldn't have summed it up better. Agreed with everything. Except the $100, I ended up sending a little more, but I ended up with a seriously cool item from the auction; the World Showcase trash can plaque!! Anxiously awaiting the shipping instruction email from the gang!

The video was very well done.

Glad to see the commitment to GKTW.

Halloween doesn't come onto my radar until about October 28th

The NBA Experience is something I wouldn't do especially at the price. But if others are into, go ahead and enjoy

Thanks to the DIS crew for giving us a live show yesterday despite the crazy week they had last week.
They didn't have to give us a show yesterday but they did so I am so thankful!
Enjoyed the show as always.
Donated my share of $50 to GKTW. Wish I could give more.
One sad thing though, although I love Disboards for everything that it has done, I wish I could use Dreams Unlimited as my Disney Travel Agent.
My DU agent, whom I booked two trips with a couple years back, not that she didn't do anything, was just indifferent about me as a client.
My current non-DU agent is much more responsive and caring about me as her client.

Couldn't have summed it up better. Agreed with everything. Except the $100, I ended up sending a little more, but I ended up with a seriously cool item from the auction; the World Showcase trash can plaque!! Anxiously awaiting the shipping instruction email from the gang!

That’s way cool! We would give more but we are about to write a big fat check to the University of Georgia 🙄. Fall semester y’all. Yippie.

I have to say one thing that stood out to me on yesterdays show was Deni. I noticed when she did her rapid fire she wasnt reading notes or off her phone. I understand all these guys are busy and they do a great job at providing us content and information and everyone is prepared for their role. I guess what Im saying is Deni has impressed me with how new she is to the team yet how prepared and comfortable she is and the value she has added in such a short time.

I wish the NBA Experience was open when we went 2 weeks ago. My son is all NBA 24/7 and it would have been great to do with him. The store was open and he got an awesome 76er's NBA Experience hat that he hardly ever takes off.

Deni is a FANTASTIC addition. I really like seeing the change up. Adding new people to the rotation is a breath of fresh. It was needed.

Unless you are a basketball fan, that NBA thing will not light you up. ESPN does nothing for me but it sure does for a lot of other people.

The video was nice. I think those guys are so used to recording behind the scenes and on camera that it's great to see it from a 3rd party perspective. Just some candid video of encounters and connections.

I'm with them on the Halloween parties EXCEPT....we are going to the new one at Disneyland. They moved it to California Adventure. I'm excited that it's something new and fun. I also hope it doesn't feel so overcrowded. There are much bigger areas in CA than Disneyland.

The Magic Kingdom party is just a snoozefest anymore. The insane crowds make it a miserable experience for us. We were done with those years ago. You can see all the awesome decorations without the party. Once you've seen the stage show, it's pretty much the same every year.

I have to say one thing that stood out to me on yesterdays show was Deni. I noticed when she did her rapid fire she wasnt reading notes or off her phone. I understand all these guys are busy and they do a great job at providing us content and information and everyone is prepared for their role. I guess what Im saying is Deni has impressed me with how new she is to the team yet how prepared and comfortable she is and the value she has added in such a short time.

Not taking anything awat but there's a difference between reading a press release for your rapid fire and talking about something you went and looked at. It's easier to get your info correct when it's something you've seen and spoken with someone about vs something you just got and read. Especially since some rapid fires are long and not quite rapid but not important enough for the news.

I was so grateful to see the video since the podcast won't air - it was amazing. Really captured the spirit of the event. I don't have a lot to donate so I'm doing the ask 10 friends thing - actually going to ask more than 10. The event was a big treat and I want to thank everyone on the DIS and Dreams Unlimited for everything. I am really following this whole park attendance situation. It puzzles me a bit because the parks were pretty darn crowded during the event so it's hard for me to swallow the fact that attendance is down. But, we'll see how the next report goes. And, of course, I know that is in reference to all the parks, not just the Florida property. I think the next earnings report will be interesting and I agree with Pete - I don't think it'll be good. If that's the case, hoping for some good discounts. I'm excited about the marathon show in November and I may be able to donate a few things this time. Been cleaning out the attic.

Excited to watch the DVC resort podcasts coming up and I can't wait to see what happens with Star Wars at the end of the month.

Halloween?? Don't think so ... I refuse to think about it until October - that's insanity. But, hey, they make money off the party. I'm one of those folks who has NEVER been to the Not So Scary party. Maybe that'll be on my list for next year. :-)

Can't wait until the next event.... made lots of friends and had a wonderful time.

Not taking anything awat but there's a difference between reading a press release for your rapid fire and talking about something you went and looked at. It's easier to get your info correct when it's something you've seen and spoken with someone about vs something you just got and read. Especially since some rapid fires are long and not quite rapid but not important enough for the news.

So you mean... being prepared? Lol

So you mean... being prepared? Lol

No I don't because we've all heard some of them get it right before the show. I also don't expect my newscasters to not use a teleprompter. There's nothing wrong with reading the news or rapid fire off paper or phone, it insures accuracy. Plus if you didn't watch and only listened you'd never know the difference. I appreciate the content and would rather it be read than things forgotten and left out.

I was disappointed the show couldn't be aired but **** happens. I worked in the technical side of entertainment for about 10 years from High Scholl on. Things that work great for a year all of a sudden start giving you nightmares.

A thing about the NBA Experience, Disney, via ABC and ESPN is heavily invested in the NBA. Listen to ESPN during the off season and they still promote and push the NBA on listeners trying to keep the NBA relevant. There used to be a day when each of the 4 major sports had their season and during it you heard about it and not much else. But Disney is heavily invested in the success of the NBA and they need to keep it relevant all year long.

Though I do think Disney missed the mark on this one. I don't see a whole lot of NBA fans as Disney fans. I know 2 guys from work who are diehard NBA fans and wouldn't be caught dead at a Disney theme park.

Last edited by a moderator:
A thing about the NBA Experience, Disney, via ABC and ESPN is heavily invested in the NBA. Listen to ESPN during the off season and they still promote and push the NBA on listeners trying to keep the NBA relevant. There used to be a day when each of the 4 major sports had their season and during it you heard about it and not much else. But Disney is heavily invested in the success of the NBA and they need to keep it relevant all year long.
Good point here. I think most people are unaware of the tie-in between Disney and the NBA. I have no doubt that it played heavily into the decision to build the NBA experience at DS.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a point in the contract that says Disney will promote the NBA in all possible properties when possible as long as it makes money. And the NBA came after them because they weren't promoting it in the parks. Then Disney was like, how do we promote the NBA at Disneyland? So they came up with the NBA Experience concept. But I don't see it lasting as it is. $30+ dollars to do a shoot around and dribble the ball?

I found an article in Forbes about it and it says if it's successful expect other NBA Experiences at other parks but I don't see it. If they have to charge for it then it can't be in a theme park. Downtown Disney in CA? Maybe. But do they have the room? No, I think Disney will let this play out and eventually close the interactive experience part of it and just have an NBA Store.

I don't think this place will have broad appeal either and I don't think the niche market is big enough to sustain it. I think it will either fail entirely or Disney will find some way to draw people in like adding it to passes as a perk, including admission in vacation packages, changing the pricing structure ,or otherwise discounting the admission cost. $34 to play the same game you can play in any arcade for a couple of dollars and shoot baskets that you can do in any playground for free isn't going to last long.

Which
I don't think this place will have broad appeal either and I don't think the niche market is big enough to sustain it. I think it will either fail entirely or Disney will find some way to draw people in like adding it to passes as a perk, including admission in vacation packages, changing the pricing structure ,or otherwise discounting the admission cost. $34 to play the same game you can play in any arcade for a couple of dollars and shoot baskets that you can do in any playground for free isn't going to last long.

Which has always made me wonder is the NBA successful because every show on ESPN radio covers the NBA substantially? I've heard on air talent say that people want to hear it but I wonder just how much they want to hear even in the off season. The thing is too, all the HUGE contracts getting signed by players are not in the NBA, the NFL or the NHL. They are in baseball which doesn't have a salary cap. I read an article in the spring about some NBA players complaining about why can't they get those contracts. The top 10 athletes by contract amount? 10 are baseball players, 1 is a boxer (there is a tie for 10th place). Top 20? Add 8 more baseball, and 2 basketball. Yet ESPN gives 3 minutes to the baseball contract coverage and a half hour about why this NBA player is headed to free agency to get more money, how the team that has him is going to adapt and who is gong to pay them more.

Which has always made me wonder is the NBA successful because every show on ESPN radio covers the NBA substantially? I've heard on air talent say that people want to hear it but I wonder just how much they want to hear even in the off season. The thing is too, all the HUGE contracts getting signed by players are not in the NBA, the NFL or the NHL. They are in baseball which doesn't have a salary cap. I read an article in the spring about some NBA players complaining about why can't they get those contracts. The top 10 athletes by contract amount? 10 are baseball players, 1 is a boxer (there is a tie for 10th place). Top 20? Add 8 more baseball, and 2 basketball. Yet ESPN gives 3 minutes to the baseball contract coverage and a half hour about why this NBA player is headed to free agency to get more money, how the team that has him is going to adapt and who is gong to pay them more.

Baseball has a soft cap so if they go over it they have to pay a luxury tax, which not all teams are doing. ESPN will always talk about the NBA the most because it's the tv contract ABC has. NBC shows hockey and football, CBS shows football, Fox shows football and baseball. ESPN will start talking college football more now that the games are starting next weekend. They talk most about what makes them money.

Plus, ESPN and sportscenter used to be the thing, but now that fox, nbc and cbs all have their own sports stations they can have their own shows which makes viewership more spread out.

I do think the NBA has a lot of fans, I see their merch around, though not as much now that Seattle doesn't have a team, though I did see a kid in a Shawn Kemp Sonics t-shirt at the parks last week which was super weird because he wasn't old enough to have seen Kemp play and even around here you don't see them much any more.

Not really a bball fan, especially since we no longer have a team, so I'm not their target audience but I do think a lot of teen boys and some girls, will want to try it out. I don't think it'll be a reason people go to DS but I think people will go once they're there. They'd have done better if they'd included food though and a place to watch games.

I remember several times in the past when I had packages that included Disney Quest, and mini golf, among other things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts