thoughts on Turtle Bay for split stay

ebonyeyes

Mouseketeer
Planning Aulani trip for next July. We are 118 points short for our entire stay at Aulani so thinking about a split stay this trip if point transfer is not available. Looking at Turtle Bay in the North Shore area. Any info on this resort? Nice...mediocre? activities for teens? It is certainly near some of the activities we are planning. Kualoa Ranch, PCC, Climbworks. So the location is great. The pictures are great but That doesn't always tell the whole story. Any info would be great. Thanks

Turtle Bay is a great way to do a split stay, especially in July.
The North Shore in the summer is calmer and you can swim and snorkel at many beautiful beaches that you might not be able to in the winter because of high surf.
I have been into the Turtle Bay Resort area but we have never stayed over night, just parked the car to walk around and snorkel a bit.
Disboard member @Dugette has an older but fairly extensive review of the area with lots of great, detailed pictures.
See post #29, post #42 and the end of #17
https://www.disboards.com/threads/j...pdated-6-4-complete-dl-tr-link.3528738/page-2

If you’ve ever watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall, the hotel the movie takes place at is Turtle Bay. It’s been on my husband’s bucket list ever since!

We loved the cottages at Turtle Bay. Our host have us the best beach to go to. Our tour at the ranch was amazing!

If the cottages fit your budget I would 100% recommend Turtle Bay. The room and views are amazing. We never wanted to leave. As for the hotel itself it was fine, but nothing special. We were disappointed in food options mid day and the pool area was fairly small. The surrounding area is nice. There is a cove next door where you can enjoy water activities and they have beach chairs. There is also a beach area past the horse stables with plenty of flat hiking trails. Based on your schedule Turtle Bay would be a good location if the transfer does not come through.

We are staying for a week at Turtle Bay in February. If it's allowed here, I plan on doing a review. I've stayed in that area before but it was a long time ago. I LOVED the North Shore so we decided on TB for our trip.

We didn't stay at Turtle Bay, but its no doubt a beautiful resort and a great location for the activities you referenced. We opted not to stay there during our trip because the immediate vicinity seemed a little isolated, similar to Aulani. And when we traveled in September, we found the waves too rough and high in the North Shore to be swimmable. I am not a strong swimmer, so the only "ocean" swimming I was able to do anywhere was in the lagoon at Aulani.

Just throwing it out there, but have you considered a night or two in Waikiki? The area has a very different vibe than anywhere else in Hawaii. Lots of things are walkable, and many tours (with transportation) are offered from hotels in this area. We opted to stay in Waikiki at the start of our trip, which we enjoyed because we were adjusting to the east coast time difference then. A lot of places were open in the wee hours of the morning when we were wide awake during the adjustment period. We also did Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head during that time, which are best done early in the morning. We did these as tours from Waikiki which worked out well. Lastly, we chose not to have a rental car during this time to avoid the additional rental cost as well as parking costs/hassles. We were able to easily walk to many places and also use the trolley to get up and down the strip of Waikiki.

Didn’t stay overnight but visited Turtle Bay several times for meals and swimming and it was lovely! Staff is attentive and friendly, the dining was great, and they’ve created a man made bay that calms the waters significantly. We were there in July so it wasn’t too rough anyway. We saw lots of sea turtles when we snorkeled there!

We also did the Kualoa ranch ride and it was phenomenal. If you end up on the north shore I also highly reccomend the Wimea botanical gardens and hiking up to swim in the waterfall at the top. It’s a very Hawaiian experience you won’t get at most of the other Oahu beaches. There was a terrific local burger place nearby there as well.

We are also considering Waikiki. I have recently heard of TB and thought I would check it out. I just want my boys (17 & 18) to have a good time as it is a graduation celebration trip. Lots of good advice for the taking. Thanks

I would personally do either Waikiki / Aulani or Waikiki / Turtle - that way you get the relaxed "sleepiness" of Aulani / Turtle with the more to do and see of Waikiki, especially for older teens.

I would personally do either Waikiki / Aulani or Waikiki / Turtle - that way you get the relaxed "sleepiness" of Aulani / Turtle with the more to do and see of Waikiki, especially for older teens.
Thanks. Aulani HAS to be part of the equation because its already booked. Was trying to figure out Turtle Bay or Waikiki. From your post I gather you vote for Waikiki! That seems to be general consensus.

We loved stayed at the condos just outside of Turtle Bay. All of the best summer snorkeling is on the north shore and Waimea Bay is beautiful. It really depends on what your boys will want to do. We like Waikiki just fine, but we prefer clean beaches and snorkeling over shopping and the crowded beaches in Waikiki.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter