Thread for allergy foods updates

We just returned from a 10 night trip at Bay Lake Tower. I have Celiac Disease. My mom also has Celiac Disease and she has a soy allergy. We were on deluxe dining so we mostly ate table service meals.

We ate at:

MK Resort Area
1900 Park Fare- breakfast and dinner
California Grill
Chef Mickey's- breakfast and dinner
Contempo Cafe- breakfast and lunch
'Ohana (breakfast and dinner)

MK
Be Our Guest- dinner twice
Crystal Palace- breakfast and lunch
Plaza- lunch
Tony's- lunch

Epcot
Biergarten- dinner
Garden Grill- dinner
LeCellier- lunch
Princess Breakfast in Norway
Rose and Crown- lunch

AK area
Boma-dinner
Tusker House- breakfast

Hollywood Studios
50s Prime Time- dinner
Mama Melrose- lunch

I tried to take food pictures, but at some places I forgot. Once I get all my pictures uploaded and sorted, I'll post my pictures in the food allergy pictures thread. If anyone has any specific questions about any of our meals, please ask! :)

We are going to Prime Time in a few weeks and are wondering what will be the options for our son with Celiac.

We just returned from a 10 night trip at Bay Lake Tower. I have Celiac Disease. My mom also has Celiac Disease and she has a soy allergy. We were on deluxe dining so we mostly ate table service meals.

We ate at:

MK
Be Our Guest- dinner twice
Crystal Palace- breakfast and lunch
Plaza- lunch
Tony's- lunch

I tried to take food pictures, but at some places I forgot. Once I get all my pictures uploaded and sorted, I'll post my pictures in the food allergy pictures thread. If anyone has any specific questions about any of our meals, please ask! :)

How was your Plaza experience? Which MK restaurant accommodated you and your mother the best?

How was your Plaza experience? Which MK restaurant accommodated you and your mother the best?

We didn't really enjoy our Plaza experience. At first the chef didn't come to our table and instead they sent an "allergy expert." This so called "expert" knew nothing about allergies and we had to be the ones to say what modifications we needed. They also give you a binder so it's like a cross between a counter service and a table service.

At that point we were really frustrated as we've been to the Plaza before and this was not how it usually is. We asked for a manager and the manager got the chef for us. The chef was okay, but didn't really go out of his way to make anything special or make us feel special. In the past we've had awesome chefs that have made gluten free croutons, etc. There was none of that this time.

Our favorite restaurant was Be Our Guest for dinner! The chef was really flexible and accommodating. Many things were naturally gluten free like the potato leek soup. For dessert, we weren't thrilled with the sugar free option as we avoid artificial sweeteners. We were able to get a bowl of chocolate mousse with some raspberries for dessert which was absolutely delicious!

We also really enjoyed Tony's as they had gluten free meatballs, but their dessert options weren't very thrilling.

We are going to Prime Time in a few weeks and are wondering what will be the options for our son with Celiac.

My mom and I both had gluten-free fried chicken which was delicious as always. I'm thinking that your son will be ordering off the kid's menu? If that's the case they can probably also do gluten free chicken nuggets. Just a warning it takes about 40-45 minutes to get your gluten free fried chicken so just be prepared to wait.

I know in the past they've also been able to do the pot pie gluten-free as they just put gluten free rolls on top instead of the flaky crust. I had a brownie sundae for dessert and I think my mom just had ice cream. Also their milkshakes are gluten free. We've always had a pretty good experience here so no complaints from us!

I'm not the PP you quoted but we also just returned from WDW as well and ate at the plaza twice.

I have more than a dozen allergies including 6 of the top 8 allergens (I'm not allergic to fish or dairy)

At the plaza, when you check in, they give you a binder with all of the ingredients which I liked. After that, teh chef comes to talk to you. The chef the first night was OK. The chef the second time we went was much better.

Now, dont get me wrong, neither was a bad experience, I just thought the food was better the second night.

We ate at Crystal palace, the Plaza, 50s Prime Time, Sci Fi, 1900 Park Fare, Sunshine Seasons, and POP Century...did not have a single bad experience.

The only issue we had (and this was MY fault...not the Chefs) was that at CP I ate something with soy in it (long story...my most recent test came back slightly positive (1 on the RAST test) but no clinical symptoms so my allergist said not to worry about soy) and i had a very mild reaction. After that night, i added soy to my list of allergies and never had another issue (i'm okay with soybean oil adn soy lechitin).

I want to go back to WDW just for the food!!

Thanks, disfan and disneyfan,

This is our first time at WDW with knowledge that my DD9 must eat GF and your reviews are a great help in our planning. It sounds like even if one dining experience is better than the other, she will still have a safe experience. :thumbsup2

I am loving this thread.

My 9yo ds is dairy, peanut, treenut & egg white allergic. He has gone to Disney twice so far & this summer will be the 3rd time.

My question is about the current 'butter' they use. The last time we went in 2008 (eek that was so long ago...) & they used the untasty Fleishmans unsalted butter. So I brought a tub of Earth Balance for him.

Does anyone know what they use now?

Also when should I contact special diets for the list or whatever they give out. We are going the first week of August & I know foods change by the day.

The only places we have planned to eat at are Chef Mickey's & WCC & we have eaten there before with him.

Also has anyone eaten the Casey's dairy free bun? Or should I just bring my own? I could have my sister bring one since she lives in FL & is driving my other sister up for our trip but FL doesn't have New England style buns---trust me my kids were a little annoyed 2 weeks ago when we were at my sisters & they had to eat a side cut bun vs a top cut bun with their hot dog. The bun isn't a huge deal since he mainly eats hot dogs with out it but is slowly starting to eat a hot dog with a bun. We have eaten there before with him & it is quick which is what I like when I am in a park.

The same with the dairy free hamburger buns, are they gross? My kid is so pickey he cringes at the thought of a bun with out sesame seeds (he isn't allergic to them).

Another question, we are staying at the Poly & I never thought to do this before but can I ask at Capt. Cooks for dairy free ice cream for him? He can't eat the dole whips (or is there really a dairy free version??), he can't eat any of the frozen Mickey bars & can only eat the fruit bar. If my other 2 get ice cream he would love some as well. I would assume since Ohana's & Kona are there they they do have dairy free ice cream. He does not eat cookies other then Oreos, hates cupcakes/cakes & any kind of bread, aka banana, blueberry, etc... I make them dairy free & the rest of us eat them but he hates them so ice cream is his favorite choice for junk food.

My last thing..2 weeks ago we were on our way back from my sisters in Ft. Myers. We drove (flying to Disney, I am not that crazy to be that tired for a Disney trip vs a beach trip) so we left a 1/2 day earlier then we planned. We had time for a downtown Disney pit stop for dinner. So of course we went.

WE tried to eat at Bodies all American since that is where we walked in & the kids were hungry at this point but they couldn't give me a dairy free bun for him. We could of eaten at Earl of Sandwich but...my kids were tired of sandwiches at the beach all week & my allergy child really dislikes sandwiches (see picky) & I made him eat a sandwich all week at the beach.

Thankfully Wolfgang pucks could accommodate us. He had a pizza with out cheese & with pepperoni. He used to eat his pizza cheeseless until I found Daiya cheese for him. He said it was good but would of been better with cheese. I thought the crust was delicious. So we also plan to eat there one day as well.

For Dairy Free "Butter" Disney is currently using Earth Balance so you're in luck there.

Contact Special Diets 2-3 weeks before you arrive, that's what has always been recommended to us. (I have almost 20 different allergies and almost all the ones your son has, minus the dairy)

I am loving this thread.

My 9yo ds is dairy, peanut, treenut & egg white allergic. He has gone to Disney twice so far & this summer will be the 3rd time.

My question is about the current 'butter' they use. The last time we went in 2008 (eek that was so long ago...) & they used the untasty Fleishmans unsalted butter. So I brought a tub of Earth Balance for him.

Also when should I contact special diets for the list or whatever they give out. We are going the first week of August & I know foods change by the day.

The only places we have planned to eat at are Chef Mickey's & WCC & we have eaten there before with him.

Also has anyone eaten the Casey's dairy free bun? Or should I just bring my own? I could have my sister bring one since she lives in FL & is driving my other sister up for our trip but FL doesn't have New England style buns---trust me my kids were a little annoyed 2 weeks ago when we were at my sisters & they had to eat a side cut bun vs a top cut bun with their hot dog. The bun isn't a huge deal since he mainly eats hot dogs with out it but is slowly starting to eat a hot dog with a bun. We have eaten there before with him & it is quick which is what I like when I am in a park.

The same with the dairy free hamburger buns, are they gross? My kid is so pickey he cringes at the thought of a bun with out sesame seeds (he isn't allergic to them).

Another question, we are staying at the Poly & I never thought to do this before but can I ask at Capt. Cooks for dairy free ice cream for him? He can't eat the dole whips (or is there really a dairy free version??), he can't eat any of the frozen Mickey bars & can only eat the fruit bar. If my other 2 get ice cream he would love some as well. I would assume since Ohana's & Kona are there they they do have dairy free ice cream. He does not eat cookies other then Oreos, hates cupcakes/cakes & any kind of bread, aka banana, blueberry, etc... I make them dairy free & the rest of us eat them but he hates them so ice cream is his favorite choice for junk food.

My last thing..2 weeks ago we were on our way back from my sisters in Ft. Myers. We drove (flying to Disney, I am not that crazy to be that tired for a Disney trip vs a beach trip) so we left a 1/2 day earlier then we planned. We had time for a downtown Disney pit stop for dinner. So of course we went.

WE tried to eat at Bodies all American since that is where we walked in & the kids were hungry at this point but they couldn't give me a dairy free bun for him. We could of eaten at Earl of Sandwich but...my kids were tired of sandwiches at the beach all week & my allergy child really dislikes sandwiches (see picky) & I made him eat a sandwich all week at the beach.

Thankfully Wolfgang pucks could accommodate us. He had a pizza with out cheese & with pepperoni. He used to eat his pizza cheeseless until I found Daiya cheese for him. He said it was good but would of been better with cheese. I thought the crust was delicious. So we also plan to eat there one day as well.

For Dairy Free "Butter" Disney is currently using Earth Balance so you're in luck there.

Contact Special Diets 2-3 weeks before you arrive, that's what has always been recommended to us. (I have almost 20 different allergies and almost all the ones your son has, minus the dairy)

Thanks! That is what I thought I read about the butter. It tastes so much better then the blah..fleishmans!!

Thanks! That is what I thought I read about the butter. It tastes so much better then the blah..fleishmans!!

:thumbsup2 Good luck with the answers to your other dairy questions. Dairy is one of the new allergies I don't have :lmao: (nuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat, coconut and the list goes on...)

It's one of the Earth Balance varieties that does contain soy. I'm pointing out the soy for others who may be concerned; I get that it's not something you worry about.

For our most recent trip we were told to email back within I think it was 30 days of our trip. I'd probably go with around 3 weeks out.

No sesame seeds (that's another common allergen so I can't imagine that they'd ever choose an allergy bun with sesame seeds).

The Udi's buns are pretty good but the GNI are tiny and only ok to eat if they're grilled or treated in some way. Well, I didn't actually try a non-heated one so that's really an assumption but based on the texture of the ones that were treated, I'm guessing that they're not so great without being treated in some way.

Captain Cook's can get him Tofutti ice cream.

Regarding the Dole Whips; it depends on his level of sensitivity as to whether you trust them or not. The vanilla has casein but the pineapple and orange are vegan. The problem with the pineapple and orange at WDW is with potential for cross contamination. In Captain Cook's the pineapple is dispensed from the same machine as the vanilla. Even though they have different spouts, the spouts are very close together and it's self serve. I've seen pictures online of some pretty tall monster self-serve Dole Whips and I can't imagine that the pineapple spout is never touched by vanilla. At Aloha Isle there is a separate machine for pineapple and orange (there's also pineapple in the machine that serves vanilla so if you choose to try it at Aloha Isle then make sure to ask for it from the machine with the orange). The problem here is that it's been reported that CMs have said that every flavour is mixed in the same bucket that gets cleaned out. I'm not sure if I trust that it's been properly cleaned. If you do find that to be sufficient then make sure to ask for the CM to change his gloves before serving you and to then grab a new sleeve of cups for serving your DS so that there's less risk of cross contamination.

I have a few questions (our trip isn't until Feb so I know things could change, but I'm hoping to get a baseline idea and check on specifics closer to the trip :)).

One of our daughters is gluten-free, dairy-free, dye-free, and the baby and I are both egg-free. I also have Oral Allergy Syndrome but I'm not planning to list it on our ressies as my reaction is comparatively mild and I can just eat around items I can't have rather than confusing everyone with my huge list!

Anyone know if CRT uses BRM mix or Namaste for their allergen waffles? The BRM mix gives us all a stomach ache every time we've used it at home so we'll avoid it if possible.

Any recent experiences at Garden Grill?

What are the best options for QS in Animal Kingdom with allergies?

Long shot I know, but does anyone know if the poolside QS places, namely the one at the Meadows Pool at Fort Wilderness, have allergen-free options on hand?

And this isn't specifically allergen related, but we don't eat pork for religious reasons (as well as shellfish etc) and I'm wondering if we'd have the option of turkey or chicken bacon/sausage at Crystal Palace and CRT breakfast? Or other non-pork breakfast meats? I'm kind of worried about having no protein options at breakfast since two of us can't have eggs...

Thanks for all the info here! I'm really looking forward to vacationing without constantly fretting about our food!

CRT has used Van's frozen waffles for their allergy waffles for at least several years. I wouldn't count on that changing any time soon.

In AK we like Flame Tree BBQ for allergies. I believe that the chicken should be safe without sauce but you'll obviously need to check the book when you get there (obviously ribs and pulled pork are out with I'm assuming semi-kosher rules). The coleslaw will be off limits since it has egg based mayo (I could eat it but my egg free DD couldn't).

FW is unbelievably lacking in QS allergy options. We were able to go to Trail's End and order a few things to go but that was the only thing we tried. From what I had learned from a chef at the resort before we went, the options were very limited. TS restaurants were great but we didn't even bother trying much with QS. We ordered groceries for our cabin so I planned for a few meals prepared by me for when we were hanging around our resort). I've got Fort Wilderness dining reviews in my August 2012 dining report if you're interested.

I know they have turkey bacon and chicken sausage at the Polynesian and a couple years ago I got chicken sausage at 1900PF but I really don't know where else they're available. Good question for special diets.

We really don't do many breakfasts because of our particular list of allergies. Three of us are gluten and milk free, one is also egg free and I'm pork free plus we've got a bunch of other things on our lists but those are the ones that make breakfast most difficult. I can definitely sympathize. We prefer first lunch seatings for the most part for this very reason. We're in a bit of a better position than you though because I can eat eggs and DD15 can eat pork so at least we can each get some kind of protein.

That's really helpful, thank you!! Van's frozen waffles are actually good news, we like those! I'll definitely call SD about breakfast meats. Worst case scenario I can always snack on some nuts on the way there to avoid that blood sugar spike of the pure starch breakfast ;) Bummer about the QS at FW. :( We're actually planning to do most of our meals in the cabin anyway, but I was hoping for a few days by the pool with no cooking... guess that's when I break out the gluten-free frozen chicken nuggets and call it close enough haha!

I can't remember for sure but I think the chef at Trail's End might have said that he has the allergy chicken tenders there. We eat them in the parks several times so we get a little burned out on them. Ask Special Diets which gluten free items are available at FW. You may be able to get a few things so you won't have to cook all of the meals at the resort. And, as I said we had great meals at Trails End.

If you want to find the restaurants that the food allergy has considered the most allergy-friendly on their trips to WDW, go to crowd-sourcing site AllergyEats Disney World (www.allergyeats.com/disney). Just about all dining facilities in the major parks have been reviewed plus many in the water parks, hotels, and surrounding Orlando area.

Good luck and happy eating!

Just thought I would mention that I have heard that Baby cakes gluten free bakery items are now available in the landscapes of flavor dinning hall located at the art of animation resort! Can anyone confirm this that has been there recently?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter