Thread for allergy foods updates

Experiences are directly related to the number of allergies you have. Please keep in mind, the more you have, the more limited options. Some places may be great for some, terrible for others. Our recent experiences:

Sorry for the PP's bad experience at Garden Grill, but we've had two good experiences two years in a row now. Our allergies are only gluten and tree nuts though. We couldnt' have the demiglace for the beef, but there was something either on the beef or mashed potatoes that together was fantastic. The turkey had a lemon caper sauce. There was only a little and the turkey (this time, not last summer) was a little un-seasoned, so I just asked for more of the sauce which they brought out pretty promptly. The fish was completely seasoned and was very tasty. Don't know what rolls they were, looked like Schar which normally I don't like, but warmed up, they aren't bad. My advice, if there is something wrong, not seasoned or something, just ask for something else to help. Dessert still totally stinks - packaged cookies. Yuck.

Prime Time - They too tried to push the pot pie (which by the way was out of this world and I don't even like pot pie - my son had) but I explained we only came there because we heard they could make GF fried chicken. After that, it was fine. They let us know that if we make reservations again, stop by in the morning to let them know you want fried chicken, and they will get everything ready ahead so we don't have to wait 45 min. If you forget, let them know as soon as you check in, so they can get the oil heating. Btw, I found the fried chicken just so so, under seasoned. WE make it way better at home. But ironically, I would go again for the pot pie!!! and the brownie and cheesecake. COULD NOT tell it was gluten free. I was mad I was too full to finish it! ha ha. Nuts thing was bad though...they were afraid to affer the sprinkles or no name brand mm's for my little son's sundae because of possible cross contamination.

We also ate at Kona Cafe and had a good experience there. Chef knew exactly what he was doing, and was able to offer some timari type dishes. DH had thai spice watermelon soup which was really delicious, and the polynesian plate lunch - chicken with mango and it too was good. I had the grilled steak salad without the lime cashew vinaigrette. I am not allergic to cashew, but my son is extremely, and I don't dare even have it near us or on me. But they served with a sesame oil dressing with lime on the side and I cleaned my plate.

Breakfast one morning was at Boma. OUTSTANDING. Of course there was the usual eggs, bacon and sausage. But they had real oatmeal (gf certified in the back, just ask for it) and GF mickey waffles, and they fixed an entire platter of donuts and muffins as well. They appeared to be Udis and I can't remember the donuts, but they are the ones I sometimes buy at home and love. They were going to bring us a second platter of each but I declined. They did wrap the muffins and donuts to take with even though it was a buffet. plus there are several african selections you can try, but not all.

WE stayed at Saratoga so of course tried Artist's Pallette. Breakfast was fantastic (we love the Mickey waffles) and they offered sides of eggs, and the usual sausage and bacon. Lunches, they basically said they could take any sandwich on the menu and put it on gluten free bread. You end up mostly with two sandwiches. once, we placed it to go, and when I got back to room, the roast beef with au jus was a soggy mess. I took it back, and they promptly replaced it with the turkey and brie (excellent). Lobster salad sandwich was just OK. But chefs and staff were easy to work with, and the wait time wasn't as bad to work with.

I have to say, Lucy at Cosmic Rays KNOWS HER STUFF. I was going to order something I thought was safe and she stopped me. Don't remember what it was, but it surprised me and I've been doing this awhile.

We also ate at Pecos Bills, Caseys, Flame Tree barbecue, ABC commissary and the Land. The Land has even less options now they they did before and got rid of the chocolate mousse my son so loved. But the mousse in France is still GF. But unless you like roast chicken or pork chop, stay away from the Land. Every station I stopped at either had no offerings or didn't seem to understand what I was asking. So if you have any questions about those, let me know.

GNI rolls seemed to be popping up all over and we really liked the texture of those, as long as they were warmed and fresh.

The positive spin I have seen, is that we used to have to pay extra for GF and the boys would also have to get adult meals. This trip, they seemed to just order off the adult menu, but just charge us for kids meals. Pleasant surprise and deeply appreciated.

Hope this is helpful to some of you. Again, our allergies are Gluten for four of us (hereditary) and tree nuts for little son. Lucky daughter was adopted so she escaped the allergies with her independent gene pool LOL!

About Saratoga springs....

I don't know what allergies there are in your family but if there are only a few allergies you should have better luck than I did.

I have 16 allergies including 7 of the top 8 allergens. I found turf club to be wonderful the one time we ate there....artists palette....not so much..

I only ever ate the allergy free chicken tenders and fries there. They were not very helpful when it came to anything else and it just seemed to take forever to get my food.

We actually switched to the contemporary half way through our trip and found Contempo Cafe to be 10x better than artists palette. The managers at the contemporary seemed to be much more on top of things than what I encountered at artists palette.

But that was just our experience there...and my experiences are often a lot different than others because of the extent of my allergies.

Hopefully you guys have a good experience there!

Just a few questions for you, if you don't mind:
1. Were the fries safe for you even though you have a soy allergy? I was told last year they were made in a soy oil. I don't eat fried food often, but it would be nice to have that option! :)

2. Are GNI buns egg free? Their website lists eggs in its ingredients but I noticed you seemed to be able to have them despite your egg allergy.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! :thumbsup2

Just a few questions for you, if you don't mind:
1. Were the fries safe for you even though you have a soy allergy? I was told last year they were made in a soy oil. I don't eat fried food often, but it would be nice to have that option! :)

2. Are GNI buns egg free? Their website lists eggs in its ingredients but I noticed you seemed to be able to have them despite your egg allergy.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! :thumbsup2

My soy allergy is mild. I can have soybean oil and soy lechitin. I do have some GI problems if I have too much but I only seem to have full blown reactions to products with the protein (soy milk, tofu, etc).

I did not eat the GNI buns. I saw the ingredients and they do not have egg listed and the chef at Citricos told me that this is a email dinner roll that GNI makes specifically for Disney. However, I prefer not to try anything new on vacation so I declined them.

My soy allergy is mild. I can have soybean oil and soy lechitin. I do have some GI problems if I have too much but I only seem to have full blown reactions to products with the protein (soy milk, tofu, etc).

I did not eat the GNI buns. I saw the ingredients and they do not have egg listed and the chef at Citricos told me that this is a email dinner roll that GNI makes specifically for Disney. However, I prefer not to try anything new on vacation so I declined them.

Thanks so much, that info helps me in thinking about what to order on our upcoming trip! :goodvibes

They can bake fries if you are allergic to soy oil. It takes awhile longer but they are really good baked.

DCDisney said:
They can bake fries if you are allergic to soy oil. It takes awhile longer but they are really good baked.

Wow, I haven't heard this before! Is this mostly at TS places, or CS, too? I have 40+ foods I must avoid but potatoes are safe and having a variety of ways to have them prepared would be great!

Hey everyone! Sorry if this has been discussed before, we're WDW vets but new to allergies! My DS1 has a milk and soy allergy, but is doing fantastic on almond milk. We take day trips often so we bring it from home, but we're staying at BCV and club level in Sept for 10 days and was wondering if there was almond milk available anywhere on site. I don't mind having to go to Publix if I have to it'd just be nice to be able to grab it in the park for him. Thanks!

Hey everyone! Sorry if this has been discussed before, we're WDW vets but new to allergies! My DS1 has a milk and soy allergy, but is doing fantastic on almond milk. We take day trips often so we bring it from home, but we're staying at BCV and club level in Sept for 10 days and was wondering if there was almond milk available anywhere on site. I don't mind having to go to Publix if I have to it'd just be nice to be able to grab it in the park for him. Thanks!

I haven't heard of almond milk being around, I've heard of soy and rice milk... but I just wanted to say that if you contact to club lounge they may get some before your visit for you. At least that is what the YC IPO has told me for our August trip.

They sell individual boxes of shelf-stable almond milk (dark chocolate, mmm) so maybe you could toss one into your bag to carry into the park?

Thanks for the tips, I think the shelf stable will be a good option, if he likes the taste. Just emailed BC IPO and got a super quick response! They asked how much milk I would need and said they'd have it available.

HAs any one with peanut/tree nut allergies attended Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party? I am wondering if the cookies and hot chocolate are safe and if not how easy it is to get alternatives. Thanks!

We have tickets for MVMCP as well, and I have been wondering the same thing. We also will need egg-free, in addition to PN/TN-free. Following.

The regular cookies are not nut safe but the cocoa and a apple slices are fine. Last year the only allergy safe cookie they used at the party was called OMG gluten free and it did have egg ( many complained so I'd expect/ hope for a change) and coconut plus a few seeds that I'm not supposed to have w my nut allergy. They were apologetic but there wasn't anything else.

:-( Thanks for the info. I wonder if calling special diets would help? Even the Enjoy Life cookies that are pretty common at WDW these days (at least in our usual restaurants) would be better than nothing for my son.

I did write to special diets and called town hall like I do for the Halloween party to get safe candy. No matter what bring some safe snacks-- there aren't many food places open and they had reduced menus so it was very difficult to get anything. They just gave each location a special allergy bin with ingredient info and a few food items but no access to the regular allergy items in the restaurants.

I did write to special diets and called town hall like I do for the Halloween party to get safe candy. No matter what bring some safe snacks-- there aren't many food places open and they had reduced menus so it was very difficult to get anything. They just gave each location a special allergy bin with ingredient info and a few food items but no access to the regular allergy items in the restaurants.

Thanks for the heads up! I will email special diets department as well.

The regular cookies are not nut safe but the cocoa and a apple slices are fine. Last year the only allergy safe cookie they used at the party was called OMG gluten free and it did have egg ( many complained so I'd expect/ hope for a change) and coconut plus a few seeds that I'm not supposed to have w my nut allergy. They were apologetic but there wasn't anything else.

Does anyone know where to write about adding Divies back on property or another brand with no eggs? I figure its worth a shot??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter