Three Days at Disney: Park Reservations and What to Do in the Evenings?

Dreamin of Dole Whip

Each day is just one day closer to Disney
Hey DisFriends!

I am so excited to go to Disney in November! I got a fantastic deal to stay at the Grand Floridian for the very first time! I am so excited. This Disney trip will be for three full park days and I will be attending with a girlfriend of mine who has only ever been to EPCOT. She said she doesn't care about going to EPCOT again. Ordinarily when I tour I park hop every day of my trip, so this one park in one day thing is REALLY throwing me for a loop! I am also all discombobulated because we're staying at GF and I sort of feel like that proximity to MK is a big draw of the hotel! So, I was thinking about doing two MK days, but not sure if that's silly.

I would love to hear how y'all would structure your vacation. We are in the parks on a Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Also, is it true that you cannot do any resort dining at other Disney resorts? What is everyone doing in the evenings to fill their time?

Thanks!!!

My plan for 7pm to midnight: late dinners, long showers, pool time, drinking, sleeping. If I really get bored I'll head off property looking for fun.

Yah. If we go in December we plan on alot of Libations either by the pool, on the Boardwalk or on the balcony. We also plan to do a lot of whining and complaining about the imminent demise of the cruise industry and about Hoop Dee Doo returning touch free in five or ten years.

I don't think going to MK for two days is a bad idea, however, you may want to ask your friend what she is interested in. If she really likes animals, Avatar, Star Wars and Toy Story, you may want to fit both DHS and AK in your plans. If she could take or leave one of the other parks, I would do MK two days and then pick the other park she is most interested in.

You can go to other resort to dine. You can either make a TS reservation or, if you use Disney transportation, you can eat QS at the other resorts as well. It would be very easy for you to get to CR and Poly from GF for dinner.

So we just got back from WDW and initially planned on going to Disney Springs after early nights (AK or MK). But then we heard how rough transportation was back to our resort (Pop Century) from DS, how crowded, etc. We still planned on going to DS until we had no trouble filling our time at the resorts, eating dinner, getting stuff out for next day (clothes, backpack full of snacks and supplies), showered. While we planned to sort of replace DS with going to the pool, we either got rained out or too tired. So basically just slept more, had some late drinks, coffee, relaxed before the next day of 10+ miles.

Sat's are markedly more busy at the parks, so if I were you, I'd consider making Mon. your HS day, Sat AK or EP, and Sun at MK. That is, if you decide to do more than MK+1 other park like you mentioned. HS is the most popular park right now with the new Star Wars rides and Mickey Minnie Runaway Railroad, and currently without any shows, so for us, only 7 attractions in play. If going to HS, would try to avoid going there on a Sat. AK is the least popular right now without nothing new going on, but we love being able to ride Flight of Passage 4-5x in a day. We actually went to MK 3 days out of 6, so know where you are coming from (last flight day was only 2 hrs).

We specifically planned our HS day for a Saturday simply bc if it’s selling out everyday, then we might as well do it on Saturday and hopefully enjoy lower crowds at the other parks on the other days. So i would likely do HS on Saturday, MK on Sunday and AK on Monday. We did this and enjoyed decent crowds the whole trip. They were essentially non-existent on Monday at AK.

We were concerned about the early hours too but we found that by the time we stayed in the park shopping after close and then made it back to our room, we were too tired to do anything else.

We specifically planned our HS day for a Saturday simply bc if it’s selling out everyday, then we might as well do it on Saturday and hopefully enjoy lower crowds at the other parks on the other days. So i would likely do HS on Saturday, MK on Sunday and AK on Monday. We did this and enjoyed decent crowds the whole trip. They were essentially non-existent on Monday at AK.

We were concerned about the early hours too but we found that by the time we stayed in the park shopping after close and then made it back to our room, we were too tired to do anything else.

We had the same line of thinking- if every day is booked full, it doesn’t matter which day you select. However, it turns out that Sat is busier anyhow even when HS is booked in surrounding days. It may be because APs have 3 days but they sometimes don’t go on the weekdays, despite booked, but they make it there on the Sat. for their wknd trip. It could be a variety of reasons. Goes against what you’d think, but there are several reports of this - and articles regarding Saturday’s being busier (I.e. Kenny the Pirate).

We’ve been tracking times every day since reopening in July and Sat is noticeable busier. This past Sat had 90 min posted for RR, 75 for SDD, despite the week after Labor Day being historically one of the best times to go. Actual waits were probably shorter, but I’d personally shoot for a week day when it’s a bit slower, even Sun. We went the Thurs before Labor and while RR posted up to 75, and it was still 60 right at close, we got on it 4x, SDD 3x, TSM 5x, 2x ea for ToT/RnR/SR, despite seeing the vacation short, new orchestra, meals, breaks. RotR - we got BG 7, maybe it would have been more difficult on Sat. Not sure. Since they’ve already been gone within 18 seconds at the 10am BG. Just my opinion though; should go with what works for you.

We had the same line of thinking- if every day is booked full, it doesn’t matter which day you select. However, it turns out that Sat is busier anyhow even when HS is booked in surrounding days. It may be because APs have 3 days but they sometimes don’t go on the weekdays, despite booked, but they make it there on the Sat. for their wknd trip. It could be a variety of reasons. Goes against what you’d think, but there are several reports of this - and articles regarding Saturday’s being busier (I.e. Kenny the Pirate).

We’ve been tracking times every day since reopening in July and Sat is noticeable busier. This past Sat had 90 min posted for RR, 75 for SDD, despite the week after Labor Day being historically one of the best times to go. Actual waits were probably shorter, but I’d personally shoot for a week day when it’s a bit slower, even Sun. We went the Thurs before Labor and while RR posted up to 75, and it was still 60 right at close, we got on it 4x, SDD 3x, TSM 5x, 2x ea for ToT/RnR/SR, despite seeing the vacation short, new orchestra, meals, breaks. RotR - we got BG 7, maybe it would have been more difficult on Sat. Not sure. Since they’ve already been gone within 18 seconds at the 10am BG. Just my opinion though; should go with what works for you.

I can see what you mean that they may not show up on weekdays. I hadn’t thought about it like that! Great point! I think the only thing I would necessarily avoid is MK on a Saturday then, unless you are going to have 2 days anyway!

So we just got back from WDW and initially planned on going to Disney Springs after early nights (AK or MK). But then we heard how rough transportation was back to our resort (Pop Century) from DS, how crowded, etc. We still planned on going to DS until we had no trouble filling our time at the resorts, eating dinner, getting stuff out for next day (clothes, backpack full of snacks and supplies), showered. While we planned to sort of replace DS with going to the pool, we either got rained out or too tired. So basically just slept more, had some late drinks, coffee, relaxed before the next day of 10+ miles.

Sat's are markedly more busy at the parks, so if I were you, I'd consider making Mon. your HS day, Sat AK or EP, and Sun at MK. That is, if you decide to do more than MK+1 other park like you mentioned. HS is the most popular park right now with the new Star Wars rides and Mickey Minnie Runaway Railroad, and currently without any shows, so for us, only 7 attractions in play. If going to HS, would try to avoid going there on a Sat. AK is the least popular right now without nothing new going on, but we love being able to ride Flight of Passage 4-5x in a day. We actually went to MK 3 days out of 6, so know where you are coming from (last flight day was only 2 hrs).
This is great info! Thank you so much. And your vacation sounded so fun! I didn’t realize there were no stage shows at DHS! That’s such a bummer, is that true for AK as well?. I love your recommendations and think those will be good for our trip.

I could honestly spend my entire vacation in MK, but probably should balance my friends interests too. 😂

thanks everyone, this was super helpful discussion. And I am SO HAPPY you can still resort hop for dinner. Disney resort restaurants are my favorite.

This is great info! Thank you so much. And your vacation sounded so fun! I didn’t realize there were no stage shows at DHS! That’s such a bummer, is that true for AK as well?. I love your recommendations and think those will be good for our trip.

I could honestly spend my entire vacation in MK, but probably should balance my friends interests too. 😂
Yes the shows at AK and HS are down right now. But the actors guild is working with them on getting back to work, with rumors of shows coming back in near future. AK does have the flights of wonder show without the UP characters.

HS has the Disney Orchestra temporarily in the Beauty in the Beast pav., playing music from various films like Toy Story and Beauty.

we could go to MK every day too! We started off our 2hr flight day at MK with 4 7D rides in a row, and still got to HM, PP, pooh, Space, Pirates before 11am. With reduced wait times andneaely everything intact, MK is great. It is weird how wait times have changed there. While 7D is often still the longer wait, and Splash commands more because of the re theme, rides near Splash has higher waits (BTM, Pirates, Jungle). Pirates can have 70 min wait - and part of that is because they’re only filling 2 rows and it’s a slow moving ride. Similarly small world is often longer wait now than Pan, because PP is a quick/constantly moving ride. Even though there r more guests headed to Splash first either Pirates then Splash/BTM or straight there. We still chose 7D because Splash is sometimes has a delayed opening, and 7D is so quick and close to other attractions.

Also, is it true that you cannot do any resort dining at other Disney resorts? What is everyone doing in the evenings to fill their time?
If you only have 3 days i would do one park each day - AK, MK and HS. If she isn't a huge SW fan then maybe you could choose 2 MK days instead of HS. There is a ton to do at MK so 2 day would definitely keep you busy there.

Your evenings could be a night at Disney Springs for some shopping and dining - which this would be good on your AK day as it closes early. Another night you could walk to the Polynesian for dinner and drinking and just relax and get a dole whip. Because you are within walking distance you could just stroll over there.

The great thing about being at GF is that you have a lot that is really close.

I'd talk with your friend and see what her trip goals are. I could see doing Day 1 - MK, Day 2 - either HS or AK, Day 3 - MK. I threw HS in there in case she is a Star Wars Fan. If not, then AK is a very pleasant park to visit for the day.

For after hours - arrival day just enjoy the GF and that it offers. Then do 1 night at DS, one night at Poly or CR and one night Wilderness Lodge ( Geyser Point ).

I second what the previous post mentioned. You are on the Monorail. We love riding the monorail to the other resorts and exploring.

If the resort boats were running, it’s fun to take the boat to WL. Fingers crossed that they will be running.

The GF is such a beautiful resort, just strolling around there and having a couple of cocktails at the Enchant Rose (I believe it’s back open) will fill your evening.

There is always Disney Springs...so much to do there...movie, bowling, shopping, eating and cocktails!
Good luck👍🏻😎

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!