Throw away room for Universal Express?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're going to give this a go on our trip next week! All you EP proponents have gotten in my head lol. I accompanied my younger sister as her guardian last year; she loved Sapphire Falls so wants to stay there again. Amazing resort, love it too, but only downfall is no EPs. Same time frame as last year so know the crowds will be manageable, but I hate lines. We have 3 days for the 3 parks, which is doable, but I NEED to fit in pool time after this never-ending winter. AP rates have been unavailable for our stay at the higher end resorts until a few days ago when I snagged one night mid-stay at PBR for $224! All have been sold out at regular rates too so not sure how this popped up.

On the downside, this is an extra cost that feels a bit extravagant given we can live without it. BUT, according to all here, it will give us 2 full days of EP access at a great savings. I could use a nudge confirming my decision, affirming our trip will be even more special with EPs in hand. And thank you to all for the advice given about the process as it eases my mind when I travel alone with her.

Don't feel bad, I just booked a throwaway room for one night, July 3rd for $550. There are five of us and it being July 4th week, I figured $550 for RPR in a club level room is worth it. Two days of express passes and some free food and drink, makes me feel it's worth it. Had to sell my husband on it. ;);)

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, I just booked a throwaway room for one night, July 3rd for $550. There are five of us and it being July 4th week, I figured $550 for PBR in a club level room is worth it. Two days of express passes and some free food and drink, makes me feel it's worth it. Had to sell my husband on it. ;);)
While club rooms are nice, you might want to check out a standard room at RPR. They have some non-club rooms going for one night at $389. $160+ can buy a lot of food. ;)

While club rooms are nice, you might want to check out a standard room at RPR. They have some non-club rooms going for one night at $389. $160+ can buy a lot of food. ;)

oh I check every day. haha, I can only do either July 3rd or 4th so I was actually lucky to snag that room. The ones that usually come up for RPR are the suites which start at $738. I could do PBR but that was only like $80 cheaper for a regular room. I know with 5 adults they will eat and drink at least that amount in the club lounge.

Which July 3rd/4th are you staying, 2018? I can see right now a $389/night room for one night at RPR in a standard 2-Q room. I can see a similar room but for $404/night for July 3rd, 2019.

are you putting in 5 adults though? I can see $389 for a CL room for 2 adults?

Aah. That is probably the issue. Note that if you are only using it as a "throwaway" room, you might ask if you need to make a reservation for 5 persons in the room. RPR has let me just make a reservation for the actual number of people staying in the room while still letting me get room keys (i.e. EPs) for up to 5 per room. IOW, I only had to pay the extra fee if more than 2 adults were actually sleeping in the room.

Aah. That is probably the issue. Note that if you are only using it as a "throwaway" room, you might ask if you need to make a reservation for 5 persons in the room. RPR has let me just make a reservation for the actual number of people staying in the room while still letting me get room keys (i.e. EPs) for up to 5 per room. IOW, I only had to pay the extra fee if more than 2 adults were actually sleeping in the room.

really? I'm thinking only my husband and I will sleep in the room. I also have ressies at Cabana Bay for four nights. How would they police that though? I was under the impression that all the names had to be listed on the reservation in order to get each an express pass.

They've never charged us to get some extra room keys (for EPs). My son and wife aren't as big a "park" persons as my daughter or I. So more often than not it is just the 2 of us in the room. But we quite often will have friends or relatives coming as well, though staying somewhere else. When I check in, I tell the check-in agent that we have others, not staying in the room, but would like to get them EPs. They've never told me they have to charge an extra adult charge or told me they can't do that (and I've done it maybe 10+ times over the years.) I did ask what the rule was once and was told that the extra charge is based on the number actually staying in the room, not the number of room keys they make.

really? I'm thinking only my husband and I will sleep in the room. I also have ressies at Cabana Bay for four nights. How would they police that though? I was under the impression that all the names had to be listed on the reservation in order to get each an express pass.

That is correct
You have to list all in the room so they can receive the hotel key card with their name in it

To use the express lines, peeps need to show their hotel card

If you have more than two adults (18+) the extra charge kicks in for the stay

They've never charged us to get some extra room keys (for EPs). My son and wife aren't as big a "park" persons as my daughter or I. So more often than not it is just the 2 of us in the room. But we quite often will have friends or relatives coming as well, though staying somewhere else. When I check in, I tell the check-in agent that we have others, not staying in the room, but would like to get them EPs. They've never told me they have to charge an extra adult charge or told me they can't do that (and I've done it maybe 10+ times over the years.) I did ask what the rule was once and was told that the extra charge is based on the number actually staying in the room, not the number of room keys they make.

I’m trying to think of a kind way to say this as I don’t want it to come out as harsh

We don’t know each other so I do not want to be misunderstood for what I say here

On the Dis, we are not allowed to circumvent things to by pass hotel policies

I know not many read Disboards rules but I have a sticky in each forum that explains what is not allowed

Hotel policies are what they are
Please don’t post of ways you were able to avoid them

Things like this are best written by a Pm to a person

No moderator can read a Pm

I checked with the hotel and was told it is a $25 charge to add/issue additional adult to a booked room

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!