Throwaway Room - Offsite to Onsite Stays

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who had to check in to the camp site to get the magic bands, did they try to make you go through the drive through check in or could you park and go inside?

To make it simpler I’m thinking after our first park day we just bus over and check in, is that possible or would it raise suspicions (ie dude, where’s your car/RV/luggage?).

I booked it for the free parking, FP, magic bands, and dining plan, but so stressed about the logistics of trying to get the magic bands I may not even show up (high anxiety) but I’d hate for them to go to waste. If anyone has experience of exactly how the in person check in process worked when you didn’t actually camp there I’d appreciate it.

For those who had to check in to the camp site to get the magic bands, did they try to make you go through the drive through check in or could you park and go inside?

To make it simpler I’m thinking after our first park day we just bus over and check in, is that possible or would it raise suspicions (ie dude, where’s your car/RV/luggage?).

I booked it for the free parking, FP, magic bands, and dining plan, but so stressed about the logistics of trying to get the magic bands I may not even show up (high anxiety) but I’d hate for them to go to waste. If anyone has experience of exactly how the in person check in process worked when you didn’t actually camp there I’d appreciate it.
You can for sure just bus over and check in inside the building instead of the drive-through. They will not be looking for your vehicle at all. I was also very nervous, but should not have been. They ask very few questions. Just make sure you don't show up to get the magic bands until the day of your reservation (they no longer stock them the days before).

Give your name and reservation confirmation and they will give you the magic bands and a park map in return. Easy peasy!

They don't ask about a vehicle, as there are certainly people who camp there without vehicles. They fly in and might just have a little a pop up tent and sleeping bag packed in their luggage, etc. Or they use a rental company for a trailer, etc.

I want to make sure that I am understanding the idea of a throwaway room correctly. Next summer, we are planning a large family vacation (16 people- 4 family units) and are staying off property. I am concerned about getting FP’s 30 days out. Someone suggested the possibility of just my family of 5 coming for a few days before on our own.

So, I was discussing this possibility with DH and he’s concerned about the cost. I mentioned the throwaway room concept to him. I said that we could get a campsite for 2 nights and then still stay offsite at a Hotel ourselves. This would allow us to get parking, magic bands, and book FP’s for 3 days at 60 days (so 60 +3) Our biggest concern is getting into Star Wars Land and Pandora.

Then we would have to book the rest of our trip at 30 days, but hopefully I will have gotten our big FP’s booked by this plan. Am I on the right track.

Last edited:

I want to make sure that I am understanding the idea of a throwaway room correctly. Next summer, we are planning a large family vacation (16 people- 4 family units) and are staying off property. I am concerned about getting FP’s 30 days out. Someone suggested the possibility of just my family of 5 coming for a few days before on our own.

So, I was discussing this possibility with DH and he’s concerned about the cost. I mentioned the throwaway room concept to him. I said that we could get a campsite for 2 nights and then still stay offsite at a Hotel ourselves. This would allow us to get parking, magic bands, and book FP’s for 3 days at 60 days (so 60 +3) Our biggest concern is getting into Star Wars Land and Pandora.

Then we would have to book the rest of our trip at 30 days, but hopefully I will have gotten our big FP’s booked by this plan. Am I on the right track.
You got it.

I would also suggest following the boards to find out just how far ahead you need to book Star Wars fp's (once they are introduced). To me, it would be worth the money to extend the campsite reservation even longer, into when your extended family arrives. Pandora is pretty easy to get at 60+3 right now, but Star Wars will be a different story. Keep in mind that the process for obtaining headliner fp's could well change before your trip (there are strong rumours of paid fp entering the mix soon).

You might even want to mention the idea to your extended family - my parents were stoked to do a throwaway themselves last trip when I explained it to them. This way, our entire party had an earlier booking window / free parking / magic bands. With 16 people, you could just do 2 campsites and split the cost 4 ways.

There have been several recent changes so that you can now book FP at 60 days out for the nights of your room reservation. Currently, booking two separate non-continuous stays only allows you to make FP for the first one, but this appears to be a glitch they are working on. Booking two nights continuous would give you 60+2 days of FP, which will probably get you some headliners but not all. If timed with emh, it could be an even bigger benefit.

Eta- The glitch preventing the second stay from opening for FP bookings has been fixed, but I still don't think there is a way to get 60+3 on two nights of reservations.

Last edited:
There have been several recent changes so that you can now book FP at 60 days out for the nights of your room reservation. Currently, booking two separate non-continuous stays only allows you to make FP for the first one, but this appears to be a glitch they are working on. Booking two nights continuous would give you 60+2 days of FP, which will probably get you some headliners but not all. If timed with emh, it could be an even bigger benefit.
The FP window openings for Multiple Stays have been corrected and your info is now outdated.

The first posts of this thread are correct.

The FP window openings for Multiple Stays have been corrected and your info is now outdated.

The first posts of this thread are correct.

Thanks, I'll edit my post to eliminate confusion, but I still don't understand how PP could get 60+3 on a two night stay. Either it is 60+2 for a single 2-night reservations or two separate 60+1 for two discontinuous single nights, but neither scenario would give 60+3.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll edit my post to eliminate confusion, but I still don't understand how PP could get 60+3 on a two night stay. Either it is 60+2 for a single 2-night reservations or two separate 60+1 for two discontinuous single nights, but neither scenario would give 60+3.
It was just a ‘60 +’ descriptive error by the PP with the Stay.

If you have a split stay, you can now book at 60 days from the first night and go to the end of the split like you used to be able to?

If you have a split stay, you can now book for all nights at 60 days from the first night and go to the send of the split like you used to be able to?
As long as all Stays are onsite. This is explained in the most recent posts in the FP FAQ Sticky.

I wonder...has anyone ever split the cost of a campsite? What about with someone actually camping there?

I have booked a tent site for our family of 5 to camp at FW for Christmas/New Year 2019 but am probably going to have to shorten our trip if I can't figure a way to cut our costs. Have started to consider splitting the costs with another family (whether or not they want to camp). Since the campsite can sleep 10, another 5 people could get onsite privileges.

Has anyone ever done something like that? Did it work out for you?

I wonder...has anyone ever split the cost of a campsite? What about with someone actually camping there?

I have booked a tent site for our family of 5 to camp at FW for Christmas/New Year 2019 but am probably going to have to shorten our trip if I can't figure a way to cut our costs. Have started to consider splitting the costs with another family (whether or not they want to camp). Since the campsite can sleep 10, another 5 people could get onsite privileges.

Has anyone ever done something like that? Did it work out for you?
Questions regarding sharing a campsite should be posted on the Camping board rather than posed on the Theme Parks board.

I want to book 3 separate stays as it is worth it for me to pay for 3 campsite days for perks. My thought was to book 3 separate days to cover the 6 day trip. The reservation agent insisted I booked the whole stay (no gaps) saying I could cancel without penalty up to 5 days before.
I will have all 6 days covered for FP+ (check-in and check-out days), but w 3 reservations/bookings if I did it my way of all under 1 reservation his way. Would it make any difference if I fix the reservation now (to split it into 3 separate check-in check-out days) or 30 days (or 40 days)? Would they cancel my FP+ if it is on my check in or check out day anyway?

Would it make any difference if I fix the reservation now (to split it into 3 separate check-in check-out days) or 30 days (or 40 days)?
Using the website, book your 3 stays then Cancel the 6-day trip.

Would they cancel my FP+ if it is on my check in or check out day anyway?
Your FPs won’t be canceled because you’ll coverage from your 3 onsite stays.

I am afraid of doing it by myself on the website. The agent was very kind on the phone and found me a fri/sat that was not available online. But he insisted on the whole stay and I felt awkward.
The question is if I should wait to cancel de 6 days LATER so I can book all the FP on when the window opens OR if I can do that change today and get this worry out of my mind and book the FP 60 days out for each stay? Sorry if I sound redundant. Is it really relevant / important this extra 2 days before in terms of FP booking? Sorry I can't seem to formulate my question right... Do I cancel my stay BEFORE I book my FP or AFTER? Just to be clear, I will keep the separate 3 days. Ufff..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter