Ticket for 3 year old

sailfrosty

Earning My Ears
My mother told me that when she took my son (who had just turned 4) 7 years ago, that she was disappointed that she bought him a ticket - she said I shouldn't buy one for my daughter who is 3 (almost 4). I see the age range for buying a ticket as 3-10 so I would think I have to buy a ticket for her, right?

HELP!

Amy

Yes, you will have to buy her a ticket. The CM's at the gate will ask, it happened to me when DD was almost 3.

I am not sure I understand your question but...

Children two and under are free and 3-9 pay childs price. The CM will "engage" your child if you are trying to walk them in without a ticket if they look to be older than two. Most children are more than willing to give their age and the CM's are very good and very discrete about finding out what they need to know.

TJ

See, that's what I was confused about, I couldn't figure out WHY my mother thought I wouldn't have to buy a ticket for my daughter - she obviously thought that the age cut off was 3 and not 2 - I don't know, I was baffled myself.

Amy

Some people feel they can get away without buying a ticket for a 3 year old, especially if they are in a stroller, but personally I don't think it's worth the risk, and asking your child to lie if they are asked their age is sending a really bad message.

I have to say my dd at 3.5 was rarely asked for her ticket, but she was so proud to have it, that she always made a point of offering it to the CM at the gate anyway.

bev

Anyone under 36 months gets in free, once they hit that 3 year old mark they need a child's ticket.

I am sure some people "sneak" the "just 3-year old" in, but it's really not the right thing to do. ;)

heres the thing that might have gotten grandma:

My son is three and fearless. He's juuuust about 40 inches. I dont mind paying the ticket price, if he gets to ride things like space mountain. But it does make me question the need for it if he cannot do anything more than he could as an infant.

It is not a height thing. There are only about 10 rides in all of WDW that have any height restriction at all. BTW the Space Mountain restriction is 44" i think, but there are plenty at 40". You have to buy the ticket.

Thanks for all the helpful information!

I will be buying a ticket, it seems some people think I won't or am trying to be deceitful to DW, I am not - I just didn't know what the heck my Mom was talking about and wondered more if the age limit changed in the past 7 years! More a question of what my Mom was saying I guess...

Amy

When we go down in Feb of 2004, we will not be buying our ds a ticket. We are checking in on 2/13 purposely because he will turn 3 on 2/14 and it is my understanding that the child's age is determined by what age they are when you check in. He will be 2 when we check in, but will be 3 for the majority of our visit. We would prefer to go Sat to Sat, but specifically changed our week from Fri to Fri to accommodate his bday. One day difference will equal a decent amount of money.

Originally posted by carone0318
it is my understanding that the child's age is determined by what age they are when you check in. He will be 2 when we check in, but will be 3 for the majority of our visit.

I would double check that. It may be that way if you are getting a "length of stay" pass (I think their called Ultimate Park Hoppers now) but not if you are using park hopper tickets that you can purchase at any time of your trip.

For your sake, I hope it's the way you explained it. :D That certainly is quite a savings if you don't have to purchase him a ticket.

We planned our trip just to avoid buying my son a ticket. He will turn 3 on June 29. We are going June 21 - 30. Therefore, we will not need a ticket for him (but I will have a copy of his birth certificate with me in case we are asked). We are staying off site so we will have 6 day park hoppers for the rest of the group. I have PS for Breakfast at Chef Mickey's on his special day, and we are moving on site at the Swan for our last night. We will spend the rest of his day playing at the pool, going to Downtown Disney and dinner at Ohana - so we will still have the magic, just not in the parks.

By the way - our daughter's birthday is the day before (we did not plan that one too well) - we will be in the park for her special day (Princess breakfast @ Akershus PS is set - unless we can get CRT next month when I get up at 3:55 am to call).

Don't chance not buying a ticket - we have annual passes at DL and we bought our daughter hers when she turned 3 - Kids love to tell how old they are, even if they can't quite match the number of fingers they show to their age.

Carone is correct.It is based on the age of the child at check in.She WON'T need to purchase a ticket for her child turning 3 AFTER her check in date.

WDW is a GREAT place to spend a birthday no matter what age!I spent my ...mumble,mumble... um something-one bithday ;) there last July.Be sure to hit the MK on your son's birthday and go to Guest Services to get a Birthday badge for him. I had CM's sing to me and got a free ice cream at MGM! For dinner my son's told them it was my birthday and I got a drink.They go out of their way to make you feel special on your day!

Have great time!
Baloo =0)

Originally posted by sailfrosty
My mother told me that when she took my son (who had just turned 4) 7 years ago, that she was disappointed that she bought him a ticket - she said I shouldn't buy one for my daughter who is 3 (almost 4). I see the age range for buying a ticket as 3-10 so I would think I have to buy a ticket for her, right?

HELP!

Amy

Sure will.

Originally posted by carone0318
When we go down in Feb of 2004, we will not be buying our ds a ticket. We are checking in on 2/13 purposely because he will turn 3 on 2/14 and it is my understanding that the child's age is determined by what age they are when you check in. He will be 2 when we check in, but will be 3 for the majority of our visit. We would prefer to go Sat to Sat, but specifically changed our week from Fri to Fri to accommodate his bday. One day difference will equal a decent amount of money.

That is correct. They go by how old the child is at check in. It doesn't matter what type of pass either. If the kid is free at check in then he is free the rest of your stay. Same goes goes for a 9 y/o. If he turns 10 during your stay you do not have to get him an adult ticket. WDW doesn't penalize children for growing up!

Sailfrosty,

It's always ok to ask a legitimate question here and that's what you did. This can be a "hot" topic as there are those that try to get around the age rules (for tickets and kid clubs). I didn't think you were trying to get around the rule, just looking for clarification.:D

We went when DS was 3 and a couple months, we bought him a ticket without hesitation and he got his $ worth out of it, maybe not riding TOT, SM and the like but he did lots of stuff in the parks!: :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter