Ticket vs. annual pass... seems too good to be true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'm confused on AP's. Newbie here :confused3. We will be going to Universal next summer and I have a question about AP's. I have been reading about how you have to use a park ticket before you can upgrade to the AP. My reason for thinking about getting an AP was the hotel discount rate. How do we get discount on the hotel if we have already checked into the hotel and have to go use a day of our park tickets before we can upgrade? Or can you buy the annual pass before you even go?

Ok I'm confused on AP's. Newbie here :confused3. We will be going to Universal next summer and I have a question about AP's. I have been reading about how you have to use a park ticket before you can upgrade to the AP. My reason for thinking about getting an AP was the hotel discount rate. How do we get discount on the hotel if we have already checked into the hotel and have to go use a day of our park tickets before we can upgrade? Or can you buy the annual pass before you even go?
They'll let you bring it back by later, if they even ask.
As to how you get it when you book, the info is on the AP thread stickied at the top of the Resort page here, the one that keeps track of what date they are released through.

They'll let you bring it back by later, if they even ask.
As to how you get it when you book, the info is on the AP thread stickied at the top of the Resort page here, the one that keeps track of what date they are released through.
I'm still kind of confused. So can I buy the AP before we even book the hotel and get the discount or I have to use the AP first to activate by going to a park?

You can buy your ticket in advance if you wish before you start your trip.
Activate it once you are there.

Some people buy discounted ticket passes and use them one day to enter the park so the cost of the tickets are at face value
When they upgrade at guest services with their tickets to an ap, higher value.

Show your ap at the hotel desk once you have the ap and the ap rate you booked at will be honored.

So you can buy tickets to convert to the ap or buy the ap in advance and show the ap once you have it.

Some people buy discounted ticket passes and use them one day to enter the park so the cost of the tickets are at face value

Show your ap at the hotel desk once you have the ap and the ap rate you booked at will be honored.

So you can buy tickets to convert to the ap or buy the ap in advance and show the ap once you have it.
Thank you, that makes sense I think. So they are buying discounted tickets and upgrading to an AP to save some money?

I'm still kind of confused. So can I buy the AP before we even book the hotel and get the discount or I have to use the AP first to activate by going to a park?

Yep
Bottom line, you do not have to have your AP or any ticket at all, to book the hotel with the AP discount. You can of course if you want, but you don't have to.
Best idea is to do as mentioned above, buy a discounted ticket, enter the park and then upgrade that ticket to an AP.
Then, if they've asked when you checked in, take the AP by and show it to them later.
Universal makes it easy in that you don't have to have an AP to book the AP rate yourself, online. So different system than what Disney uses.

We hav emilitary salute tickets and i called guest services and it will be about $50 to upgrade us both from the 3 park 4 day to the 3 park seasonal ap!

Yep
Bottom line, you do not have to have your AP or any ticket at all, to book the hotel with the AP discount. You can of course if you want, but you don't have to.
Best idea is to do as mentioned above, buy a discounted ticket, enter the park and then upgrade that ticket to an AP.
Then, if they've asked when you checked in, take the AP by and show it to them later.
Universal makes it easy in that you don't have to have an AP to book the AP rate yourself, online. So different system than what Disney uses.
Thank you now I understand. Universal definitely makes it easier.

So question, we are going in november, and our first day is probably a Mannheim Steamroller concert day based on last years concert dates (Sat and Suns). We are planning on buying 3 day passes, and upgrading them while we are there. If we wait until our 2nd or 3rd day to upgrade to a seasonal pass, will we be prevented from buying that option because we used our 1st day to visit a park that was blocked out from seasonal passholders?

It says block out dates for seasonal passholders are Jul. 1-31, 2018 Dec. 22-31, 2018 and all concerts at US. So besides those dates listed there will be more block out dates for concerts? We want to go next August. Will the dates be the same for 2019? I'm guessing we wont be able to know concert days this far ahead?

It says block out dates for seasonal passholders are Jul. 1-31, 2018 Dec. 22-31, 2018 and all concerts at US. So besides those dates listed there will be more block out dates for concerts? We want to go next August. Will the dates be the same for 2019? I'm guessing we wont be able to know concert days this far ahead?

There don't tend to be concerts in August. Concerts are usually through Mardi Gras and the pre Christmas season with Mannheim Steamroller.

So question, we are going in november, and our first day is probably a Mannheim Steamroller concert day based on last years concert dates (Sat and Suns). We are planning on buying 3 day passes, and upgrading them while we are there. If we wait until our 2nd or 3rd day to upgrade to a seasonal pass, will we be prevented from buying that option because we used our 1st day to visit a park that was blocked out from seasonal passholders?

No, you'll be fine. That is the perfect way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter