TICKETS + How to UPGRADE (& Cost)

MimiOfTwo

Mouseketeer
1. With "short" tickets, that can seem to be true.
--------------------------------------------------------
HOWEVER:
3-day Base, "typical date" $383.
2-day Base, "typical date" $269
Both tickets, Combined $652.
BUT:
5-day Base, "typical date" $485.
You could be paying about $170 TOO MUCH
--------------------------------------------------------
2. Yes, it will.
3. Correct.
4. Not true.
Guests can have (and use) as many tickets as they like.
5. Anything is possible. But, you are really fearing a lot of worst-case situations.
6. If that's what you want to do, you certainly CAN do it. But, it will COST you.
7. Yes.
Now, try to relax and get ready to enjoy your upcoming WDW vacation!
Thanks Robo! I paid 278 for the ticket from UT. Will I get that price for it when using it to upgrade? Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your help.

tlmadden73

DIS Veteran
Nope.
He can use his original ticket days (at no additional charge) no matter how old he is.
If he has significantly "aged out" of a child's ticket (say he has turned 14 or so, or even older) by the time he is ready to use any of the remaining days, he can go to any ticket booth or Guest Relations and have the remaining "days" converted to an adult ticket with the same assets (including non-expiration) as the original ticket.

Disney does not penalize kids for getting older.
oh wow. Glad I mentioned that. I did not know that. All the more reason to maybe hang onto those for a while.

How does that work for an old, normal MYW 5-day ticket (that was bought when tickets had no expiration dates). I also bought 2 adult and 1 child 5-day tickets (no hopper) right when they announced tickets would start having expiration dates.

Those tickets havent been attached to our MDE account yet. Since those tickets need to be used in one trip, do I need to use those tickets before he turns 10? or does the same Magic apply for those tickets as they were purchased when he was a child? I can always use that ticket in the future for my daughter (since I have 7 years before she turns 10.

I had my kids way too late :) I totally would have stocked up on those no-expiration tickets back in 2014 if I had known they would have gotten rid of them and raised prices SO much. I just couldnt justify spending thousands of dollars on future tickets, even though, in hindsight, it would have saved me thousands of dollars.

DisneyMommy77

Mouseketeer
Good Morning,
I’m back again with more questions. So, we renewed our APs that expire 12/20. I was able to get FP + for 12/18, 12/19, 12/20 and with my new AP I got FP+ for 12/21, 12/23, 12/24 and 12/25. We will be at a Disney until 1/6, so I was hoping to get 7 FP+ days with new AP. However, this morning I couldn’t get anymore. I called and they said it is 7 total (staying offsite) with both passes combined. I guess I assumed incorrectly that it was 7 FP+ days per pass. It seems like I would have been better off saving money and buying 10 day tickets.

Does this all sound correct?

I still get to go to Disney for Christmas, so really I can’t complain, but I am a little bummed this morning to not get FP+ at 30 day mark for the busiest week of the year.

• JJ2017

DIS Veteran
    My daughter is dancing in Disney and we will be purchasing her and my sons ticket through the group. 4 day park hopper is $439. Do we think (or not think) these can be upgraded to an AP?

Robo

1971 Castle in the Hub: Your lights are on!
    oh wow. Glad I mentioned that. I did not know that. All the more reason to maybe hang onto those for a while.

How does that work for an old, normal MYW 5-day ticket (that was bought when tickets had no expiration dates). I also bought 2 adult and 1 child 5-day tickets (no hopper) right when they announced tickets would start having expiration dates.

Those tickets havent been attached to our MDE account yet. Since those tickets need to be used in one trip, do I need to use those tickets before he turns 10? or does the same Magic apply for those tickets as they were purchased when he was a child? I can always use that ticket in the future for my daughter (since I have 7 years before she turns 10.

I had my kids way too late :) I totally would have stocked up on those no-expiration tickets back in 2014 if I had known they would have gotten rid of them and raised prices SO much. I just couldnt justify spending thousands of dollars on future tickets, even though, in hindsight, it would have saved me thousands of dollars.
    In order for a child's ticket to be upgraded to adult at no charge (as I described in my previous post to you,) that ticket must have been partially USED by that child while still under 10 years of age.

In order for a never-used child's ticket to finally be used by an adult-aged guest, that ticket must upgraded to a current adult ticket (subject to the current rules of upgrading. $$

Last edited:

Robo

My daughter is dancing in Disney and we will be purchasing her and my sons ticket through the group. 4 day park hopper is $439. Do we think (or not think) these can be upgraded to an AP?
    I'm going to GUESS that it can be upgraded. I'm never sure, as price guests pay on these "special tickets" can be sometimes affected by the "deals" some groups make with Disney. (Or vice-versa.)

If that, in fact, is possible to do, in the upgrade transaction, you would only be allowed the amount the group organizers arranged to pay Disney for the ticket.

Robo

Good Morning,
    I’m back again with more questions. So, we renewed our APs that expire 12/20. I was able to get FP + for 12/18, 12/19, 12/20 and with my new AP I got FP+ for 12/21, 12/23, 12/24 and 12/25. We will be at a Disney until 1/6, so I was hoping to get 7 FP+ days with new AP. However, this morning I couldn’t get anymore. I called and they said it is 7 total (staying offsite) with both passes combined.
    1. I guess I assumed incorrectly that it was 7 FP+ days per pass.
    2. It seems like I would have been better off saving money and buying 10 day tickets.
    3. Does this all sound correct?
    1. You don't have two APs.
    A "renewed" AP is still only one AP... that has been "extended" by a year.
    (That's why you get a special renewal price.)
    2. That logic escapes me, if you intend on making additional trips next year.
    (Which would seem likely since you renewed your AP.)
    3. Yes. See #1.

If you had not already renewed your current AP, there would have been a way to do what you want... so you would have been able to book a greater number of FP days to cover both parts of your trip. That option would have cost about 15% more than you paid for the AP renewal, but it would still have given you a full AP for next year.

Last edited:
  • JBeaty0507

Mouseketeer
    I realize that it isn't necessary to use a day on your ticket before upgrading to an annual pass in order to get price bridging. However, is it okay if you go ahead and use a day before you upgrade to an annual pass? Also, we will have some friends with us who will be adding an extra day to their tickets. Can they also go in the parks for a day before we go through the guest relations hassle. We'd just like to hit the ground running on our first day :)

hiroMYhero

I'm satisfied with my care...
    I realize that it isn't necessary to use a day on your ticket before upgrading to an annual pass in order to get price bridging. However, is it okay if you go ahead and use a day before you upgrade to an annual pass? Also, we will have some friends with us who will be adding an extra day to their tickets. Can they also go in the parks for a day before we go through the guest relations hassle. We'd just like to hit the ground running on our first day :)
    Yes to both questions. For your friends, the sooner they add the extra day, the sooner they can book FPs for that day.

Robo

Thanks Robo! I paid 278 for the ticket from UT. Will I get that price for it when using it to upgrade? Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your help.
    You will get MORE than that.
    It doesn't matter what you paid UT for the ticket.
    It only matters what was the price on-line from Disney when your ticket was created.

See Post #6 in the thread on which we are now posting to determine what your upgrade cost will be.

Raya

DIS Veteran
    We have two mid-day magic park hopper tickets. Our flight just got changed so we'll have until 3:30 on our last day. Should we buy a single day ticket on it's own or upgrade our mid-day magic park hoppers to be all day tickets? We could (in theory) get to the parks before noon on the other days of our vacation, but it's highly unlikely given who we are.

• tlmadden73

DIS Veteran
    In order for a child's ticket to be upgraded to adult at no charge (as I described in my previous post to you,) that ticket must have been partially USED by that child while still under 10 years of age.

In order for a never-used child's ticket to finally be used by an adult-aged guest, that ticket must upgraded to a current adult ticket (subject to the current rules of upgrading. $$
    Thanks .. so it sounds like I will just give that 5-day ticket to my daughter then if I decide to use that ticket AFTER my son turns 10.

This is what I have stashed away from purchases made in 2014-2015.
    Me - 4 days left on 10-day hopper non-exipiring ticket, 5-day MYW (non-hopper)
    Wife - 4 days left on 10-day hopper non-exipiring ticket, 5-day MYW (non-hopper)
    Son - 8 days left on 10-day hopper non-expiring ticket, Child's 5-day MYW (non-hopper)
    Daughter -No tickets

Basically, I have enough tickets for 2 trips (4 days and 5 days), thus the reason of thinking getting my daughter an AP .. and just going on those 2 trips in a 12 month period.

I just need to figure out when I would want to start those two trips in 2020 (in order to try and "catch" the opening of as many new rides as possible).

DGsAtBLT

DIS Veteran
    Buying tickets for an upcoming trip. Not sure how much of this info matters but here’s everything: We have 2 rooms booked with 2 reservation numbers, my family in one and my parents and brother in the other. DH and I have APs but everyone else needs tickets. We’re Canadian and buying the discounted tickets. I do all the planning but my parents both have MDE accounts.

Are we okay to buy the tickets in one transaction or should we do my kids in one and my parents/brother in another purchased signed into one of their accounts? I just don’t want to screw anything up because of the two reservations.

Robo

Buying tickets for an upcoming trip. Not sure how much of this info matters but here’s everything: We have 2 rooms booked with 2 reservation numbers, my family in one and my parents and brother in the other. DH and I have APs but everyone else needs tickets. We’re Canadian and buying the discounted tickets. I do all the planning but my parents both have MDE accounts.

1. Are we okay to buy the tickets in one transaction
    2. or should we do my kids in one and my parents/brother in another purchased signed into one of their accounts? I just don’t want to screw anything up because of the two reservations.
    1. Yup.
    2. You can if you like, but you don’t need to.

smile145

Mouseketeer
    I read the intro section which states that if I have tickets as part of a resort package that I must use the days between my check in and my check out date. What I don’t understand is in booking my package, I have the option to buy a longer ticket. Specifically I am booking a 6 night resort package with tickets and dining plan. I can choose between a 1 day and 10 day ticket. Why does it allow me to buy a 10 day ticket if the days have to be used between my check in and check out (which won’t be 10 days long)? Is it still true I can’t use the remaining days after check out as long as it’s within 14 days of the 1st day I used the ticket?

Robo

1. I read the intro section which states that if I have tickets as part of a resort package that I must use the days between my check in and my check out date.
    What I don’t understand is in booking my package, I have the option to buy a longer ticket.
    Specifically I am booking a 6 night resort package with tickets and dining plan.
    2. I can choose between a 1 day and 10 day ticket.
    3. Why does it allow me to buy a 10 day ticket if the days have to be used between my check in and check out (which won’t be 10 days long)?
    4. Is it still true I can’t use the remaining days after check out
    5. as long as it’s within 14 days of the 1st day I used the ticket?
    1. Not necessarily the case.
    2. Yup.
    3. It's not true.
    4. That never has been true.
    5. For a 10-day ticket, that is correct, even if your resort stay is less than that length.

-------------------------------
    Below is a re-paste from Post #2 of the thread on which we are now posting.
    Ticket Duration Valid Use Period
    1-Day Ticket valid one day on the date selected (Next day can be used for “+ Option” with a PH+ ticket)
    2-Day Ticket Any 2 days within 4 days beginning on start date (5 days with PH+)
    3-Day Ticket Any 3 days within 5 days beginning on the start date (6 days with PH+)
    4-Day Ticket Any 4 days within 7 days beginning on thestart date (8 days with PH+)
    5-Day Ticket Any 5 days within 8 days beginning on the start date (9 days with PH+)
    6-Day Ticket Any 6 days within 9 days beginning on the start date (10 days with PH+)
    7-Day Ticket Any 7 days within 10 days beginning on the start date (11 days with PH+)
    8-Day Ticket Any 8 days within 12 days beginning on the start date (13 days with PH+)
    9-Day Ticket Any 9 days within 13 days beginning on the start date (14 days with PH+)
    10-Day Ticket Any 10 days within 14 days beginning on the start date (15 days with PH+)

For example, a 6-day base ticket with a start date of November 1 is valid any 6 days from November 1 to November 9.

Regarding Tickets purchased in a hotel + tickets package - info posted by @GillianP1301:

Date-based tickets purchased as part of a Walt Disney Travel Company room and ticket package will have one of the following valid use periods (whichever is longer):
    (i) the same valid use period described above, OR

(ii) a valid use period beginning on the package resort arrival date and ending on the package resort check-out date.

For example, a Guest who purchases a Walt Disney Travel Company package with a 3-Day base ticket and a resort length of stay of 6 nights with an arrival date of Nov. 1; ticket is valid any 3 days from Nov, 1 – Nov. 7.

You need pay attention to the following part of that info:

Date-based tickets purchased as part of a Walt Disney Travel Company room and ticket package will have one of the following valid use periods
    (whichever is longer):

(ii) a valid use period beginning on the package resort arrival date and ending on the package resort check-out date.

Last edited:

ksromack

DIS Veteran

You need pay attention to the following part of that info:

Date-based tickets purchased as part of a Walt Disney Travel Company room and ticket package will have one of the following valid use periods
    (whichever is longer):

Wait, I don't understand the above. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee this morning! I'm not the OP but had a ticket question and in the past I have read through this entire thread at one point. For my question, we have a 4 night MYW package purchased via WDW with free dining. Our first 4 nights are with the package and include tickets. I added days on to our package because after the first 4 nights we are moving to Copper Creek for an additional 2 nights stay. We will use our tickets on arrival day and the following 5 days. I was able to make fast passes at 60+ days out just fine.
    1. Using our tickets above will all go as planned, right?
    2. I'm trying to figure out if upgrading MY tickets to an AP will be cost effective in the off chance we return next year for a short trip.
    3. How can I figure out what the value is for MY ticket alone....just go to the WDW website and calculate what my ticket would cost if I purchased today? Does that price include tax?
    4. We are DVC so I would get the Gold AP for DVC members. We had APs which expired October 2019 so a "renewal" is out of the question at this point, right?
    5. Whole purpose of my upgrading would be to get the Memory Maker which looks to be $169 (includes tax)? if I added it to my existing trip. Buying a "gold" pass is $699 plus tax = $744.44
    6. Obviously I would just subtract the two to see if I would at least break even by upgrading to AP, especially considering the additional perks/discounts.

Robo

Wait, I don't understand the above. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee this morning! I'm not the OP but had a ticket question and in the past I have read through this entire thread at one point. For my question, we have a 4 night MYW package purchased via WDW with free dining. Our first 4 nights are with the package and include tickets. I added days on to our package because after the first 4 nights we are moving to Copper Creek for an additional 2 nights stay.
    A. We will use our tickets on arrival day and the following 5 days. I was able to make fast passes at 60+ days out just fine.
    1. Using our tickets above will all go as planned, right?
    2. I'm trying to figure out if upgrading MY tickets to an AP will be cost effective in the off chance we return next year for a short trip.
    3a. How can I figure out what the value is for MY ticket alone....
    3b. just go to the WDW website and calculate what my ticket would cost if I purchased today?
    3c. Does that price include tax?
    4a. We are DVC so I would get the Gold AP for DVC members.
    4b. We had APs which expired October 2019 so a "renewal" is out of the question at this point, right?
    5. Whole purpose of my upgrading would be to get the Memory Maker which looks to be $169 (includes tax)? if I added it to my existing trip.
    5b. Buying a "gold" pass is $699 plus tax = $744.44
    6. Obviously I would just subtract the two to see if I would at least break even by upgrading to AP, especially considering the additional perks/discounts.
    A. Do your tickets just have 4 "days," total?
    If so...
    1. You can use a 4 day ticket over the course of 7 days, beginning on the first day that you USE the ticket.
    2. Up to you.
    3a. If you booked your package within the last 6-8 months...
    3b. Yes.
    3c. Yes, include tax.
    4a. OK.
    4b. Right.
    5a. If that's the current price, then yes. (I don't keep a running list of current prices.)
    5b. If that's the current listed price, then yes.
    6. Yup.

Last edited:

Muhlenberg

DIS Veteran
    Questions regarding the 4-day magic ticket. I know the basics, but if I purchase this ticket, can it be upgraded to a base ticket later at the park? Also, if, for some reason, we need to reschedule our trip (April 2020), can the ticket dates be changed (but used before 9/30/20), paying any increase in price?

Robo

Questions regarding the 4-day magic ticket. I know the basics, but if I purchase this ticket,
    1. can it be upgraded to a base ticket later at the park? Also, if, for some reason, we need to reschedule our trip (April 2020),
    2. can the ticket dates be changed (but used before 9/30/20), paying any increase in price?
    1. Yes.
    2. If 9/30/20 is the end of the 4-day Magic program, then yes.
    (Even if the tickets expire, their value can be used toward the purchase of new, current tickets.)

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

THEME PARK MAPS

DISNEY WORLD TICKETS

THEME PARK HOURS
    Disney World Rehabs and Closings Disney World Restaurant Menus

DISNEY WORLD VIDEOS