TICKETS + How to UPGRADE (& Cost)

Robo

1971 Castle in the Hub: Your lights are on!
Regarding tickets bought from 3rd party, as some previously reported, do we need to enter the park first to ''activate'' the ticket and get the savings before price bridging to an AP or it doesn't matter ?
Not required to get the savings, but...
there is some indication that if you DO wait until after entering a park with the original ticket, the option to upgrade to AP might automatically appear in your MDX account... at the correct price.
(That option MIGHT appear before you enter the first park, so you should check for yourself.)

Last edited:

vamassey1

DIS Veteran
We're headed to Disney in 11 days. I currently have a package with a 7 day hopper ticket. I also purchased a memory maker for our trip. I want to upgrade to annual pass on our first day. Will I get any credit for the memory maker that I have already purchased? I did not purchase it as part of our package but added in on after.

TIA

• Robo

We're headed to Disney in 11 days. I currently have a package with a 7 day hopper ticket. I also purchased a memory maker for our trip. I want to upgrade to annual pass on our first day.
    1. Will I get any credit for the memory maker that I have already purchased?
    2. I did not purchase it as part of our package but added in on after.
    1. You should be refunded the entire amount.
    That MIGHT come as a Disney gift card or as the amount deducted from your upgrade cost.
    2. Ask for the refund when you do the ticket upgrade.

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
    Is activating an AP different then the day it's first used? If we activate an AP in DS in February, but first day that we use it isn't until August, is there an issue?

hiroMYhero

I'm satisfied with my care...
    Is activating an AP different then the day it's first used? If we activate an AP in DS in February, but first day that we use it isn't until August, is there an issue?
    You can only “activate” an AP by using it to enter a park. You can change a voucher to a plastic AP card which you will activate in August.

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
    You can only “activate” an AP by using it to enter a park. You can change a voucher to a plastic AP card which you will activate in August.
    Thank you. So if we purchase and get the cards in February, then we can just walk right into the parks in August without any other steps to take?

• Robo

Thank you. So if we purchase and get the cards in February, then we can just walk right into the parks in August without any other steps to take?
    You can if you like.
    If you decide to do so, please report back with the results.
    The "activated at the gate" AP has not been around long enough to make that kind of assessment over time.
    At this point, I tend to not want to activate the AP more than a couple of days in advance of first use.

revoxfire

Earning My Ears
    You can if you like.
    If you decide to do so, please report back with the results.
    The "activated at the gate" AP has not been around long enough to make that kind of assessment over time.
    At this point, I tend to not want to activate the AP more than a couple of days in advance of first use.
    What about parking? if I upgrade at the kiosk at disney springs, I will have not entered the park yet, will my new AP work?

Robo

What about parking? if I upgrade at the kiosk at disney springs, I will have not entered the park yet, will my new AP work?
    It should if you have the AP card.
    OTOH...
    If (F) the CM at the parking entrance does want payment, you can save your receipt and take it to a Guest Relations for a refund.

• tmoo

Mouseketeer
    We are in a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance and they did not get to our group today (opening day). Not only did they give me a fast pass for tomorrow, but they gave everyone in my group a free 1 day park hopper ticket. In MDE it shows the expiration date for the tickets as 12/31/2030. We don't need the ticket tomorrow, but my question is if I can upgrade a ticket that was free and 1. Have the market value for a 1 day park hopper ticket applied (currently $185) and 2. keep the 2030 expiration date. This would be huge if it worked.

Robo

We are in a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance and they did not get to our group today (opening day). Not only did they give me a fast pass for tomorrow, but they gave everyone in my group a free 1 day park hopper ticket. In MDE it shows the expiration date for the tickets as 12/31/2030. We don't need the ticket tomorrow, but my question is
    A. if I can upgrade a ticket that was free and
    1. Have the market value for a 1 day park hopper ticket applied (currently $185) and
    2. keep the 2030 expiration date.
    B. This would be huge if it worked.
    A. Sorry.
    1. Nope.
    2. Your original complimentary ticket looks to have the current automatic "default" expiration date. (But, no upgrade would be possible.)
    B. Complimentary ("Comp") tickets have zero monetary value, so they cannot be upgraded.

bgula

DIS Veteran
    I have price-bridged tickets many times in the past, but not with the new tickets. I have a 7-day adult base flex ticket purchased thru Airmiles in Canada. How do I determine what the cost of the ticket should be before I go to GS? The only thing I know is that the ticket is only good until the end of December 2019. I have a feeling that the ticket may fall in the category labelled "D" in post #6. Is there any way to tell from the ticket when it was produced?
    One person has posted that they were able to get $521.85 from a similar ticket, but they were lucky. The last time I tried with 2 tickets was in the summer and they would only give me $469. I'm not sure if this ticket is the same as the ones I had in the summer as the airmiles amounts to purchase those tickets was different. Just wondering how much to push for the higher amount? I'm also considering for the first time to use the ticket to enter the park first and then try to upgrade.

Robo

I have price-bridged tickets many times in the past, but not with the new tickets.
    I have a 7-day adult base flex ticket purchased thru Airmiles in Canada.
    How do I determine what the cost of the ticket should be before I go to GS? The only thing I know is that the ticket is only good until the end of December 2019.
    1. I have a feeling that the ticket may fall in the category labelled "D" in post #6.
    2. Is there any way to tell from the ticket when it was produced?
    One person has posted that they were able to get $521.85 from a similar ticket, but they were lucky.
    3. The last time I tried with 2 tickets was in the summer and they would only give me $469. I'm not sure if this ticket is the same as the ones I had in the summer as the airmiles amounts to purchase those tickets was different.
    4. Just wondering how much to push for the higher amount?
    5. I'm also considering for the first time to use the ticket to enter the park first and then try to upgrade.
    1. If you bought your ticket is from that brief time period under "D," then
    you'll just need to trust that the CM who is doing your upgrade performs the correct math.
    2. Contact the company that sold you your ticket.
    3. If you don't have the date Disney issued the original ticket, you just don't have a way of knowing that ticket's "bridge value."
    4. If you don't have the date Disney issued the original ticket, you have no basis to argue for a different value.
    5. That will make no difference to the upgrade value, one way or the other.
    BUT, there is a real possibility that once you are at WDW (and MAYBE after entering a park) if you check your MDX account...
    It MIGHT be that the ability to upgrade will automatically appear in your MDX account (and at the correct upgrade price.)

bgula

DIS Veteran
    1. If you bought your ticket is from that brief time period under "D," then
    you'll just need to trust that the CM who is doing your upgrade performs the correct math.
    2. Contact the company that sold you your ticket.
    3. If you don't have the date Disney issued the original ticket, you just don't have a way of knowing that ticket's "bridge value."
    4. If you don't have the date Disney issued the original ticket, you have no basis to argue for a different value.
    5. That will make no difference to the upgrade value, one way or the other.
    BUT, there is a real possibility that once you are at WDW (and MAYBE after entering a park) if you check your MDX account...
    It MIGHT be that the ability to upgrade will automatically appear in your MDX account (and at the correct upgrade price.)
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if Airmiles will be able to tell me what they paid for the ticket or when they purchased it, but I can try. So I should link the ticket into my account now and then go thru the gate with it and later check My Disney Experience? So you're saying it may give me the option online to upgrade to an AP - and if so list the price to do so? I've never gone this route before, so that's why I ask.

Robo

Thanks for your reply.
    1. I'm not sure if Airmiles will be able to tell me what they paid for the ticket
    2. or when they purchased it, but I can try.
    3. So I should link the ticket into my account now and then go thru the gate with it and later check My Disney Experience?
    4. So you're saying it may give me the option online to upgrade to an AP -
    5. and if so list the price to do so?
    I've never gone this route before, so that's why I ask.
    1. It doesn't matter what Airmiles paid for the ticket (or what you paid Airmiles.)
    That does not figure into the cost to upgrade.
    2. They can tell when they purchased it. (Although finding someone who will tell YOU is the issue. [There's no reason they should not tell you, but sometimes finding someone who understands the finer points may be somewhat difficult.])
    3. No reason to NOT link it.
    The option to upgrade MIGHT appear simply because you are on WDW property, in general... OR it MIGHT appear after you enter a park. (I've seen both situations reported.)
    4. Yes.
    5. It would have to give the price, otherwise it could not make a valid offer.

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
    Sitting on the plane, can’t find my answer. So, asking you all. I bought my dd one of the three day, after noon, one park per day passes. I should have added park hopping. Does anyone know if I can add it when we get to the parks?

Robo

Sitting on the plane, can’t find my answer. So, asking you all. I bought my dd one of the three day, after noon, one park per day passes. I should have added park hopping. Does anyone know if I can add it when we get to the parks?
    Yes, you can.
    Just go to any ticket booth or Guest Relations.
    Adding the Hopper to a 3-day Mid-Day Magic ticket will cost about $75.

Last edited:

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

THEME PARK MAPS

DISNEY WORLD TICKETS

THEME PARK HOURS
    Disney World Rehabs and Closings Disney World Restaurant Menus

DISNEY WORLD VIDEOS