We are planning a trip for Jan 14-18. I'm a little leery about purchasing tickets too far in advance should this fall/winter bring another wave of closures to WDW, but I also don't want to wait until the last minute to get them and make park reservations on MLK weekend. What are your suggestions for when we should purchase? I'm usually on top of my game, but I don't know what the procedure was for people who had purchased when they closed last time. What would our options be? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

We are planning a trip for Jan 14-18. I'm a little leery about purchasing tickets too far in advance should this fall/winter bring another wave of closures to WDW, but I also don't want to wait until the last minute to get them and make park reservations on MLK weekend. What are your suggestions for when we should purchase? I'm usually on top of my game, but I don't know what the procedure was for people who had purchased when they closed last time. What would our options be? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Wait until at least mid-November.
Things will likely be more clear by then.

Are the resort concierges able to prioritize the days on your tickets? I have left over days from previous trips (unexpired & comp tickets) but I want to use the tickets I purchased for this trip first and save the unexpired and comp tickets, can the resort concierge prioritize the tickets or do I need to go to guest relations at the parks or Disney Springs to accomplish this. Also my tickets for this trip have park hoppers, who will be able to reimburse me for that? Resort or Guest Relations?

1. Are the resort concierges able to prioritize the days on your tickets? I have left over days from previous trips (unexpired & comp tickets) but I want to use the tickets I purchased for this trip first and save the unexpired and comp tickets,
2. can the resort concierge prioritize the tickets or do I need to go to guest relations at the parks or Disney Springs to accomplish this.
3. Also my tickets for this trip have park hoppers, who will be able to reimburse me for that? Resort or Guest Relations?
1. Some say that they can.
However, resort concierge computer systems did not used to have access to the same files as non-resort Guest Relations. (That may still be true.)
And, the resort concierge are generally not specifically trained in all aspects of MDX.
2. I would go to non-resort Guest Relations.
Why?
Because the time that it takes to FIX a problem is often SO much longer than if it was first done correctly.
(In other words, you can try it at the resort. It might work.)
3. See #1 and #2 above.

Has Disney World started selling new park tickets yet? If not, are they exchanging old valid, unexpired, paper tickets for new tickets?

But, the reason I said what I did is that, in general, guests have not had any difficultly reserving parks even very near the actual trip dates.
No need to buy tickets far in advance just because park reservations are needed.

I held off buying my tickets, but kept checking back in just to make sure the advance ticket reservations weren’t going fast as you said and they weren’t, but they are now. I got mine purchased and reservations in as this was starting, so I’m good. But heads up, at least for Fall Break for many school districts, it looks like things are picking up.
6777FEE6-8A15-4980-934C-33E2A0947BB1.png

I'm helping my nephew plan a one park day trip in November and just need an overview of how tickets are working now. He will be staying offsite. Does he need to make an MDE account to make a park reservation? Once he purchases his ticket and makes his park reservation is there anything else he needs to do before the day of his trip? Where does the park reservation show up--on MDE or is it tied to the ticket? Will he get a Magic Band? I've only ever planned multi-day trips onsite pre-covid, so this is new to me. Thanks!

I do not have direct experience as I'm an AP, but can answer somewhat. Yes he will need an MDE account, unless you buy the ticket under yours. My daughter and one of her friend's tickets (we invited friend on the trip with us) are both under my MDE, as an example. One way or another, the ticket has to be in MDE to get the park reservation. You have to log onto the website to make the ressie. It will show up on MDE app, but you can't make it there directly. The first step of making the ressie is saying who the ressie is for (i.e. which ticket). If he wants a magic band, he'll have to buy one. They don't have any real perks if you are staying offsite, except the onboard ride photos at Frozen, and maybe Pirates of the Caribbean, but if he doesn't buy the photos, that's really not a thing anyway. If his one park is going to be HS, and he wants to do ROTR, he will want an MDE account anyway.

Thanks for the info. If he doesn't buy a Magic Band will his ticket just be loaded onto his phone in the MDE app and is that what he will show at the gate?

Thanks for the info. If he doesn't buy a Magic Band will his ticket just be loaded onto his phone in the MDE app and is that what he will show at the gate?
Unless things have changed during the pandemic, he will have a card-style ticket (like a credit card). It will be mailed to him or he can pick it up if there is not enough time to have it mailed.

If he does not receive a plastic ticket before arrival, he can just go directly to the regular park entrance gates on his day at the park and (using his legal photo ID and his ticket number... on the phone screen will work) the plastic ticket will be issued to him right at the park gates.

Unless things have changed during the pandemic, he will have a card-style ticket (like a credit card). It will be mailed to him or he can pick it up if there is not enough time to have it mailed.

Card style ticket, the only thing that has changed is no finger prints. Just hold the ticket in front of Mickey and wait for the green light.

right now I only see tickets available (2020) to use in a 7 day window. you HAVE to pick a start date.
is there anywhere that sells tickets you can use in a longer window? we will be there for 2 weeks, dont want to cram all days together. plus if we are there for 2 weeks & are undecided on what days which park we want ressies for, is it possible to change from day #1 to day#10 after ticket purchase? ( yes i know each park has to have a reservation) ( & then i see the pricing practically drops in half in jan with options of 10 days) ( we were going to choose military F&F tix, but the office is still waiting for 3+ weeks delivery after order,, dont want to chance losing out on a park avail)

WDW is currently only selling a max 7-day ticket for use in 2020. You do have a 10-day window to use those 7 park days, with some non-park days interspersed if you so choose. If you want more than 7 days in the parks, you will need to buy a second ticket.

Pricing depends on your dates. Late December is the most expensive. So yes, January tickets probsbly cost less.

I purchased a one day ticket and my email confirmation has a barcode and it says Show at Park Entrance. Does this mean I need to go to guest services or can they scan it at the gate?

I’m going to make a wild guess that he is more computer / mobile phone savvy than you. If not, forgive me.

if he is 13+ yo, he can have his own Disney account. Looks like he’ll need to use a phone for ordering food at quick service restaurants - and trying to get a spot for Rise of the Resistance at Hollywood Studios. Most people I know have a phone attached to their hand most of the time.

i have a Mickey Band from a prior resort stay and will use it this week, but will probably take it off after entering the park, as there would be no further use for it that day. I, also, am staying offsite. And then I will attempt to be contemporary and use my phone to navigate the parks. Without the help of my twenty-something yo nieces. (My ticket is supposedly tied to my Magic Band; I‘like find out Sunday).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!