We have a trip planned for Nov 28-Dec 7. Just upgraded our tickets from 7-day PH to 10-day PH (now date-based). If we decided to upgrade to AP, would we need to wait to do it in person during our trip? Or could we try to do the upgrade over the phone beforehand? Wondering if we do it early, when is the AP considered "active"? Also, would we be able to use an unactivated AP to book a room with a discount, or discounted special event tickets?
Thanks for the help!
1 +2. not sure
3. when you enter the park
4. Yes, you can book AP discounted room. Not sure about events, but likely yes.

Also keep in mind AP includes food/merchandise discount and your Photopass photos.

Also keep in mind, you could upgrade ONE to an AP, but keep the other not an AP if you upgrade in person. All you need is one AP to book AP rate and get the photos. AP holder should probably be the lead name on resort reservation if you only get one AP.

Annual pass question. We activated our annual pass this year on 4/28. In MDE it has a date of expiration as 4/29. My question is. Can I get into the park on 4/29/2020. Thanks

I upgraded my Disneyland annual pass to a Premiere pass in April and later that month took a trip to WDW using that pass. Am I incorrect that I am "entitled" to get a Magic Band as part of my AP? When I go into MDE it only gave me at the time the option to customize a band for my resort stay in April (which at the time were just the plain ones)--I have never seen a Magic Band "offer" for getting the Premier AP. I guess I need to call customer service? I would like to take advantage of the the discounted custom bands. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I upgraded my Disneyland annual pass to a Premiere pass in April and later that month took a trip to WDW using that pass. Am I incorrect that I am "entitled" to get a Magic Band as part of my AP? When I go into MDE it only gave me at the time the option to customize a band for my resort stay in April (which at the time were just the plain ones)--I have never seen a Magic Band "offer" for getting the Premier AP. I guess I need to call customer service? I would like to take advantage of the the discounted custom bands. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I've never seen anything about getting an AP Magic Band if you upgraded from a Disneyland ticket/AP to a Premier Pass.
(But, it is so rarely done that it just would not come up very often.)

Sure, CALL 'em and ask.

I've never seen anything about getting an AP Magic Band if you upgraded from a Disneyland ticket/AP to a Premier Pass.
(But, it is so rarely done that it just would not come up very often.)

Sure, CALL 'em and ask.

But you get a magic band with a Disney World AP, correct?

Annual pass question. We activated our annual pass this year on 4/28. In MDE it has a date of expiration as 4/29. My question is. Can I get into the park on 4/29/2020. Thanks

On what date did you actually USE the AP for the first time?

But you get a magic band with a Disney World AP, correct?
Yes.
I understand your question, it's just so rare to come upon this situation, I've never seen it discussed.

It would not surprise me to see that they'd allow you a "free" AP MB in this case.
BUT, a Premier AP (of course) is not "exactly the same thing" as a dedicated WDW AP.
(And, MB's are not needed at DLR, of course.)

Call 'em.

So I called, and yes, the Premier AP gets a MB. I think because it was purchased at Disneyland and used first there that my MDE was not updated (because it is not a traditional WDW AP). My account has been updated but I'm not getting the ability to get one of the upgraded ones at the discount--probably because my pass was purchased/activated before the new option was initiated. Rats! Oh well--will get one on our resort stay (our DVC book date is TOMORROW!)

So I called, and yes, the Premier AP gets a MB. I think because it was purchased at Disneyland and used first there that my MDE was not updated (because it is not a traditional WDW AP). My account has been updated but I'm not getting the ability to get one of the upgraded ones at the discount--probably because my pass was purchased/activated before the new option was initiated. Rats! Oh well--will get one on our resort stay (our DVC book date is TOMORROW!)
Glad you were able to get the band!

IDK if MDE is sophisticated enough to know the effective date of your Premier Passport and limit MagicBand options. The upgraded bands were so popular that all designs/patterns sold out during the first week. Right now the only options for everyone are the 8 basic colors that are free. I would hold out on confirming your order so you can still get 2 upgraded ones if you prefer it.

First day use was that Monday 4/29/19. We only activated them the nite before as we had PPO for breakfast at Epcot and was worried on making the 8:05 ressie time.

You actually ACTIVATED your AP 4/29/2019 because THAT was the date you first USED the new AP.
(Going to a Guest Relations or ticket booth to "activate" the AP no longer starts the one-year countdown.)

So, yes, you CAN use this AP to enter a WDW park on 4/29/2020.

You actually ACTIVATED your AP 4/29/2019 because THAT was the date you first USED the new AP.
(Going to a Guest Relations or ticket booth to "activate" the AP no longer starts the one-year countdown.)

So, yes, you CAN use this AP to enter a WDW park on 4/29/2020.
Thanks - makes sense on why now it shows in MDE the 4/29 date

IDK if MDE is sophisticated enough to know the effective date of your Premier Passport and limit MagicBand options.

Like any "upgrade," the effective date of the Premier AP would be the first day that the original ticket or AP was used to enter a park. (In this case, Disneyland.)

Like any "upgrade," the effective date of the Premier AP would be the first day that the original ticket or AP was used to enter a park. (In this case, Disneyland.)
Makes sense it will have that date

I just meant I don't think the MB customization page is limiting the options based on when the Premier Passport was activated. The reason there are no $10 MBs showing up for customization is because they are all sold out. I still have my AP band pending customization from last year prior to the enhanced MB customization and I could have upgraded it to a $10 MB before they sold out. @toocherie won't see additional options when booking a DVC resort tomorrow because there aren't any right now.

Glad you were able to get the band!

IDK if MDE is sophisticated enough to know the effective date of your Premier Passport and limit MagicBand options. The upgraded bands were so popular that all designs/patterns sold out during the first week. Right now the only options for everyone are the 8 basic colors that are free. I would hold out on confirming your order so you can still get 2 upgraded ones if you prefer it.
Oh thanks! Actually we also made our resort reservation today (Beach Club 2 bedroom) and that band isn't giving the additional options either so I will wait on both!

We have a trip planned in September before a cruise. Right now it is booked as a ticketless package, but we will be buying one day tickets through Disney next week. We have decided to upgrade to an AP, and I’m trying to figure out when I need to do it. Do I have to upgrade before we enter the park, or can I do it before we leave the park that day?

We have a trip planned in September before a cruise. Right now it is booked as a ticketless package, but we will be buying one day tickets through Disney next week. We have decided to upgrade to an AP, and I’m trying to figure out when I need to do it.
Do I have to upgrade before we enter the park, or can I do it before we leave the park that day?
You can do the upgrade any time before close-of-business THAT DAY.
If you wait until after you enter the park that day, the option to upgrade to AP
should appear in your MDX account.
If you buy directly from Disney, you should be able to upgrade at any time before your trip, as well.
However...
I suggest that you buy a multi-day ticket (usually the more "days" on the ticket, the better the savings will be) from an authorized ticket discounter (like Undercover Tourist, or ParkSavers, or many others.)
If you do that, you will be able to upgrade that discounted ticket to AP and KEEP the discount savings you got when you bought the discounted ticket.
One of the best and proven (and "legal") ways of saving money on buying an AP.

You can do the upgrade any time before close-of-business THAT DAY.
If you wait until after you enter the park that day, the option to upgrade to AP
should appear in your MDX account.
If you buy directly from Disney, you should be able to upgrade at any time before your trip, as well.
However...
I suggest that you buy a multi-day ticket (usually the more "days" on the ticket, the better the savings will be) from an authorized ticket discounter (like Undercover Tourist, or ParkSavers, or many others.)
If you do that, you will be able to upgrade that discounted ticket to AP and KEEP the discount savings you got when you bought the discounted ticket.
One of the best and proven (and "legal") ways of saving money on buying an AP.
Thank you for your quick response! We only have one day for the parks this time, so would it make sense to buy a multi day ticket? Either way, if I upgrade after we enter the park will my AP be active that day or when I technically use it on a February 2020 trip we are planning?

Thank you for your quick response!
1. We only have one day for the parks this time, so would it make sense to buy a multi day ticket?
2. Either way, if I upgrade after we enter the park will my AP be active that day or when I technically use it on a February 2020 trip we are planning?

1. The reason to buy a multi-day ticket is because you want to upgrade to an AP, and you can save money on buying that AP.
And, if you buy a multi-day ticket, you can order it from an authorized ticket discounter (usually an 8 to 10 day ticket will offer the most savings.)
(Buying a ticket from Disney will offer zero savings for the AP upgrade.)
2. Yes. The AP will go into effect as soon as you do the upgrade.
(When you upgrade a ticket, (to AP or not) the new upgraded ticket will take on the same start-date as the date the original ticket was first used.)

1. The reason to buy a multi-day ticket is because you want to upgrade to an AP, and you can save money on buying that AP.
And, if you buy a multi-day ticket, you can order it from an authorized ticket discounter (usually an 8 to 10 day ticket will offer the most savings.)
(Buying a ticket from Disney will offer zero savings for the AP upgrade.)
2. Yes. The AP will go into effect as soon as you do the upgrade.
(When you upgrade a ticket, (to AP or not) the new upgraded ticket will take on the same start-date as the date the original ticket was first used.)
Thank you so much!! I think I can wrap my head around this now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!