Tiggerdad is heading to the Smokies! Y'all come

Dang! I hate y'all could not see what I just saw...and heard.

So I just got done posting the last round of pictures when I watch this guy in a 3500 pulling the exact same model Chaparral as @Teamubr come in. He backs that thing in the site just down and across from me. He never got out or so much as rolled down his window and nailed it first try.

As he's backing in an Endeavor class A is waiting and then he begins to back in. His wife gets out first and walks to the back of the site and I'm thinking "Oh yeah! Here we go!". Then nothing. She just stands there and doesn't move or say a word and he backs it right in.

As he's backing in a Fleetwood is stopped beside my site waiting his turn and he doesn't have anyone in the passenger seat. So I figure I'm gonna be 0 for 3. Then, as he's pulling up, this black Hummer pulls up and a middle aged woman gets out and doesn't even close the door. She stomps onto the site and as soon as he puts it in reverse she starts yelling. She's waving arms everywhere. The guy who is behind me is sitting in his chair and is unable to see but asks "Son, what the hell is all that yelling?". When I said "You gotta see this!". He jumps up literally with beer in hand and runs over to see.

This lady is yelling and now slapping the side of the camper. My neighbor, as he is taking a drink from his beer says "If my wife slapped my $100,000 camper I'd run over her and put an end to it".

It took that guy no less than 6 tries to get the site right and she's steadily yelling and you can see him yelling through the front windshield and one time he even shook his fist at the mirror!

Man, best one yet!

Last edited:
View attachment 256348 View attachment 256349 View attachment 256349 View attachment 256348 Once your over the mountains one of the first things you come across is Mingus Mill. It is/was the largest mill in the Smokies and operated right up through the 60's I believe.

It's different however. Most of us think of a mill as having the big water driven wheel, but Mingus Mill runs on a water turbine instead. The principle is still the same. You need to divert water higher up stream...
View attachment 256343

You bring it down a man made trough
View attachment 256344

View attachment 256345

At the end of the trough was a pipe which the water goes down and through a turbine that turns the belts to operate the mill.
View attachment 256346

The milling stone
View attachment 256347

Notice the stones out front have Roman numerals in them designating which stones in the mills history.
View attachment 256353

View attachment 256355

There was another wheel with 11 on it.

There was a miller on hand who walked us through it and showed us how it all worked. He pointed out something interesting on the scales in the mill. Check out the patent number.
View attachment 256358

I got more pictures from Cherokee coming up.

Hey tiggerdad,
Looks like you guys are having a great time. Have you driven the Motor Nature Trail out of Gatlinburg? They have a trough driven mill on that drive although it is no longer operational but still an interesting stop. Lots of picture opportunities especially water themed. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 on the panoramic pictures. Panoramics help give you a sense of just how beautiful and expansive the views are. The Foothills Parkway also offers many elevated views of the mountains and valleys of the Smokies.
Continued fun times and safe travels and thanks for the pics.
Steve

You're referring to Roaring Fork. Done it many times and intend to this evening or tomorrow.

Currently I'm at the Tanger Outlets moving bench to bench. How does this always happen? Good news is DW is only looking for shoes and not merchandise in general.

This morning was early rising for Tiggerdad and the oldest DD.
IMAG0419.jpg

We were up and out the door with hiking on our minds. Since Chimney Tops is off the menu we opted for Alum Cave Bluffs.
IMAG0421.jpg

The beginning takes you over the river first.
IMAG0420.jpg

At first it's thick, and I mean thick undergrowth with thick old growth trees above.
IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0424.jpg

IMAG0423.jpg

Bridges along the way help with navigating the various streams along the way.
IMAG0427.jpg

IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0431.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

Through some more thick forestIMAG0433.jpg

You arrive at Arch Rock. A natural passage through the rock. The park service built stone steps to help.
IMAG0434.jpg

IMAG0435.jpg

Here's looking from aboveIMAG0437.jpg

From here it's more open forest, larger furs and steeper climbs
IMAG0441-918x1632.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

Then you begin to get some views
IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0449.jpg IMAG0445.jpg
IMAG0446.jpg

Almost there...

IMAG0450.jpg
IMAG0451.jpg

IMAG0453.jpg
IMAG0456.jpg

IMAG0458.jpg

Okay, in this next pic see who can find the red squirrel. A hint: on the rocks.
IMAG0460.jpg

We saw dozens of them. They are smaller than gray squirrels. There were 3 of them here just running up and down the rocks like trees.

And our first glimpse of the bluffs.
IMAG0461.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

IMAG0464.jpg

We got there just in time because the bottom dropped out. It rained hard for about 20 minutes but we were high and dry under this huge bluff.

IMAG0467.jpg

I climbed up to the top of the bluff to try and get the scale of this thing.
IMAG0472.jpg

And then from the bottom looking up
IMAG0473.jpg

Here's the smoke of the mountains. Always best after a rain. These pics taken same view, but about 2 minutes apart.
IMAG0474.jpg
IMAG0475.jpg
IMAG0477.jpg
IMAG0478.jpg
IMAG0479.jpg

Okay, @JETS70 mentioned Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail earlier and the mill that's there. After dinner we went there. You turn off the main strip in Gatlinburg at Bubba Gump's (Cherokee Orchard Road) and go straight. This is about 9 miles long and you drive the whole thing. There are waterfalls, streams, old cabins, trailheads along its route.

Now, this takes you through some of the city where homes and businesses were burned and it was saddening. I did not take pictures of them, there were plenty in the news and I just like it was wrong anyway. Immediately you noticed both sides of the roadway were scorched.
IMAG0492-1632x918.jpg

However, you can see the greenery is making a comeback.
IMAG0493-1632x918.jpg

In the next pic you can tell the park service managed to save this old barn. The fire burned right up to it.
IMAG0495-1632x918.jpg

IMAG0498-918x1632.jpg

IMAG0502-1632x918.jpg

IMAG0500-1632x918.jpg

IMAG0504-918x1632.jpg

IMAG0507-918x1632.jpg

IMAG0509-918x1632.jpg

One of the trailheads, Rainbow Falls is closed due to fire damage.

This motorway is a quick and easy way to see some heights and neat water. The mill referred to earlier is small, but is a good example. I was unable to stop and get a picture. It's like 10'x10' but still an example.

I'd say 45-50% of the ride you see some of the fire damage. On the way back into town you run across more of the homes that were lost.

I didn't mention it earlier, but all over Gatlinburg are signs thanking folks for coming and to tell their friends that Gatlinburg and the Smokies are still there.

So now I've done my part.

Attachments

• IMAG0492-1632x918.jpg
    IMAG0492-1632x918.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Michael great special time in the morning with your oldest daughter. Would suggest that investing in a QUAD 50 now will pay tremendous dividends in the future. Just an idea

Michael great special time in the morning with your oldest daughter. Would suggest that investing in a QUAD 50 now will pay tremendous dividends in the future. Just an idea

They rent them here along with jeeps. I'd say something open like that would be the best way to see the sites here.

My wife ain't gonna budge on me getting a quad. I already tried.

They rent them here along with jeeps. I'd say something open like that would be the best way to see the sites here.

My wife ain't gonna budge on me getting a quad. I already tried.
Not too sure we are on the same page here buddy. The QUAD 50 I am thinking about involves 4 Browning Ma Deuces timed to work in unison transported on the back of a Deuce and a half truck or select APCs 100% effective in instilling F.O.G. in the hearts and minds of youngsters worldwide

Oh, that's even better! I can use it hunting and camping.

Well, today was the last day for Ole Tiggerdad. Today we ventured to Townsend TN. Home to Tuckaleechee Caverns.

IMAG0520-1632x918.jpg

Figured the girls had seen enough of the above ground mountains so time for some underground.
IMAG0523-918x1632.jpg

This is the "Big Room". It's 300' across. Those two columns in the back are each about 26' tall.
IMAG0528-918x1632.jpg

This is one of the stream beds
IMAG0525-1632x918.jpg

IMAG0532-918x1632.jpg

IMAG0535-918x1632.jpg
Here is the waterfall at the other end of the tour.
IMAG0538-1632x918.jpg

It's 120' high
IMAG0537-918x1632.jpg

The stream bed is pretty level so you can see a long ways. The low light makes pictures bad , especially with phone. I got much better photos with the Nikon.
IMAG0539-1632x918.jpg

Lunch today was Bubba Gump's. Fun atmosphere, but bit pricey. Raining today as well. Was intending to try the sleds in Pigeon Forge along Wears Valley Road but too wet and closed down.

Probably gonna grill at camper this evening and get things ready to pull out tomorrow.

Beautiful pictures, again! I truly enjoyed the pictures of the hike. I should have always taken pictures along places I've hiked, but it never crossed my mind. Well, except for when I hiked the tea house trail at Lake Louise, in my avatar. But I never really took pictures of the trail itself. I very much enjoyed your pictures.

If I can be honest here, I think your daughters will remember this summer trip for years to come, more than any trip to any theme park. You've had a real *magical* vacation with your family---one which didn't require any standing in line with thousands of other people. As much as I have always loved going to Disney, I love nature so much more. You are giving your family a treasure in memories, and that is priceless.

Thanks for letting us join along and for all the great pics. You got to a lot of places we didn't last year. Have a safe trip back and have fun with the new job. Neuro can be a bit crazy. I always hated getting pulled up to the Neuro ICU, but that was mostly because of the staff, not the patients. :worship:

j

Michael Thank You and your Family for taking us along on your adventure. It looks like everyone had a good time and some belt loosening might be in order. Hopiing you all have a safe un-eventful trip home

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!