tilikums' life today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have to remember that those behind the article have an agenda and don't provide an unbiased view of the situation.

It's very difficult to determine what Tilly's life is like at the moment. Anything from Seaworld is going to be a rehearsed line because the eyes of the world are still on them. Also anything like the article you linked is also very opinionated so it's hard to pick out the facts.

I do feel very sorry for him, he was not isolated to begin with, he was housed with the female Taima, who unfortunately passed away a couple of months ago. As far as I can tell he has been pretty much isolated since (but I could be wrong).

Hopefully Seaworld can contest OSHA's findings so that he can be interacted with more.
I also hope things aren't as bad for him as this article says it is.

I think Sea World is walking a fine line right now. And there's no real balance between the care the whales used to get and how OSHA and whatever else company out there wants Sea World to do. I would like to honestly think that the trainers do not want to do this to Tilikum. And would prefer things to go almost back to normal.

Even prior to all this happening, he still just "hung out" in the middle of the pool. He was never one to play much on his own, if the trainers weren't there.

I also don't understand the point of the author. Is she trying to say that she'd rather see him dead than alive?? There's only so much Sea World can do at this point under the microscope. Although I do hope that he gets to start performing soon.

not trying to cause trouble but i started reading this and had to stop as i found it too upsetting.
i just wanted to inform.

since the death of Dawn back in february - Tilly pretty much gets ignored now:

http://theorcaproject.wordpress.com/2010/09/03/seeing-is-believing-tilikums-lonely-life-after-dawn/

I do think this problematic. It is written by someone with agenda and posted by someone with a similar agenda. If you really want to know how Tilly is doing why not ask a local? He is not ignored. He is still cared for very well. Even before the accident trainers did not get in the water with him.

As far as the "workers" the writer spoke with, I would question who they are. The writer clearly did not speak with the trainers. They care very deeply for Tilly (as did Dawn) and would not stand for mistreatment of him (or any other animal).

This article does not show a complete picture. As much as the writer claims Sea World is not telling the truth, neither is the writer.

We went weeks ago and yes Tili was alone in the viewing tank, swimming circles.

We went again Sunday and I am almost positive it was Tili in the show for Shamu Rocks. Very large whale with fin folded over.

I read the article but if you click on the link for teeth drilling and you will find a man's facebook page with lots of orca pics with teeth pics. Lots of people against orcas being in captivity.It was interesting reading comments and seeing the pictures.

Actually some of the older females have the fin folded over. The way you can tell that Tili is in the water, is his fluke fin is curved in slightly and his pectoral fins are massive, which makes for the great splashing at the end of the show. As well, he will only do the splash part by himself. Generally when the females do the splash part, there's several females and sometimes the younger ones with them. I've seen as many as 6, and as few as 3 do the ending.

It did seem very very biased. Like they only went there to watch what they did with him. And you may speak to the trainers before/after the shows, but the educators (the ones that stand outside the exhibit) are not part of the same department. And the educators are not always up-to-date on the conditions of each of the animals. They only know the general knowledge/care for the animals. Some of them will go deeper with their information if they choose to.

And as well with anything that happens in the theme park, it stays behind closed doors. They're not allowed to talk about it. There's usually a few general comments that are allowed to be said, but that's it. Those comments that the author spoke of, is nothing different that what was said a year ago about the care/treatment of the whales.

I was at the park in late July and he was in the tank that has the underwater viewing and he was interacting with the trainers. They were giving signals and he was responding to them. He even swap up to the glass and stuck his tongue out at the on-lookers.

Not completely related but some changes have been made at Shamu Stadium which could mean they plan on bring Tilly back to the shows sometime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIWqyFmeL10&feature=recentf

Removable railings have been installed on the staging areas in the stadium. Since OSHA said in their report that no-one should interact with Tillikum unless there is a physical barrier separating them this could mean they plan to return to using him in the shows.

Maybe not, but he's not fit to be released into the wild either.

they can put him back in a pen in the ocean for a little while then release him bit by bit over a period of time.
this costs alot of money though.

it all such a mess.

they can put him back in a pen in the ocean for a little while then release him bit by bit over a period of time.
this costs alot of money though.

it all such a mess.

I would like to hear of your success stories with killer whales being released from captivity.

The situation is what it is. Unfortunately, no one here was around or involved in the capture of Tilikum over 20 years ago. This is his life, this is home. Make it as best as possible for him.

An I love how people say "he doesn't do anything but float in the middle of the tank"... it's what he's always done. I've been a passholder for years and saw him for years just hanging out in the middle of the tank. This isn't a new behavior from him. So quite trying to play the "poor tilikum" sob story.

We all need to wish the best for Tillikum and his staff.

Tillikum being put in a seapen would be expensive and for people to think that this creature who has been taken care of by humans for years could be let out in the wild is moronic.

I also have one major question. Everyone is so obsessed with Tillikum these days.

Where is everyone who should be protesting about Lolita and the size of her tank being the size of a backyard swimming pool? Where is PETA on that? Where is the public on that? I am fully aware that PETA has said a few things about her tank, but it is not a priority. Instead, people are freaking out about Tillikum. He has a more than adequate sized tank, premium nutrition, and state of the line care.

If everyone is looking for a animal that needs help, look to Marineland first.

Yes, you are correct. That is my mistake. I had a link up for Marineland so I must have written that while looking at it instead of Miami Seaquarium. My fault! However, I still stick to my point.

Thanks for helping Sandra =)

I grew up in Miami, but we only went to Metro Zoo, so I can't speak of the conditions of Lolita or her tank. From a google map image, it does look significantly smaller than Sea Worlds.

She is an old whale, so I don't think moving her would be a good idea at this point in time. But she'd probably be a welcome addition to the Sea World Family. I wonder if they've ever petitioned to buy her.

But I don't think any one can take it out on the trainers. They love them as much as possible, and try to do everything they can for the whales. But it's up to corporate to agree to fork over the money for improvements to the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter