tilikums' life today

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE

update - just heard that those four dolphins are gonna be rescued and relocated. don't know by who or any details at the moment. people might not like the sun newspaper in the
uk - but sometimes they get stuff done when it needs to be done.[/QUOTE]

Hi, Can I ask where you read that they are going to be rescued please. So pleased something is being done to help them.

[QUOTE

update - just heard that those four dolphins are gonna be rescued and relocated. don't know by who or any details at the moment. people might not like the sun newspaper in the
uk - but sometimes they get stuff done when it needs to be done.

Hi, Can I ask where you read that they are going to be rescued please. So pleased something is being done to help them.

I read that also. A picture of the announcement was posted on a facebook page.

on a anti-captivity facebook page.
don't know anymore details at the moment.

and this is all i am saying - what planet it that person from?
can you e-mail this so called 'writer' and put these some questions to them:

1) how do you accommodate a 12 tonne orca who has to use a 1 thousanth of space to swim in compared to the ocean?
2) what happens when they want to migrate?
3) how do you teach a 12 tonne orca tricks?
4) what happens if they don't do the trick properly, does the whistle still get blown and do they get their treat of dead fish?
5) how many miles can he swim a day in that tiny pool? wild whales can swim up to 100 miles a day
6) who can tilly communicate with now - since he was ripped from away from his family, his pod at the age of two?

just two facts for this cartoon writer to read:

'Health problems of Orcas held in captivity are blamed on the quality of the water. Even though the water is pumped in from the ocean, in most marine parks, it is filtered to remove micro and macro marine life, and chlorine is added. An ozonator is also used to remove bacteria. All of this filtering and water treatment is not natural for the Orcas'

'Scientists believe that the unnatural sounds are also a problem for Orcas held in captivity. The sounds of water pumps and crowds of cheering people interfere with the natural echolocation of the Orcas, and has a negative impact on their communication. Orcas have very sensitive hearing. The feeding of the Orcas is also questioned. In their natural habitat, Orcas feed on sharks, fish, squid, whales, seals, turtles, octopus, penguins, and sea gulls. However, in captivity, Orcas are fed frozen fish and vitamin supplements.'

i could go on all day...
this so called writer must have a season ticket to cartoon world.

to tillytrainer. in your signature - there is (i assume) you standing with tilly behind?
after you have your dine with shamu session, do you stand at the bottom of the tank and they command the whale to go down to the bottom so you can have your picture 'taken' with him?
how does it work?

[QUOTE

uk - but sometimes they get stuff done when it needs to be done.

Hi, Can I ask where you read that they are going to be rescued please. So pleased something is being done to help them.[/QUOTE]

Ric o'Barry is apparently in egypt trying to sort things out.

I don't think you really want to start this all over with Tillikumtrainer. She's a strong voice for Sea World and the way they care for their animals. KBF has given you plenty of information as it is on the care and needs of these animals. I think you have all the answers to those questions.

I have participated in Dine with Shamu, actually it was the other dining experience called Backstage at Believe, there was one for Shamu Rocks. It talks more about the history of the animals, the care they provide, and they idea behind Believe. Tillikum did swim in the tank during the dining part, but there wasn't much trainer activity going on.

It also doesn't take anything special to get a picture like that with Tilly in the background. Just head over to the viewing area, and have the proper settings on your camera. That's most peoples fault while taking pictures. A camera is not meant to be set to auto.

I don't think you really want to start this all over with Tillikumtrainer. She's a strong voice for Sea World and the way they care for their animals. KBF has given you plenty of information as it is on the care and needs of these animals. I think you have all the answers to those questions.

I have participated in Dine with Shamu, actually it was the other dining experience called Backstage at Believe, there was one for Shamu Rocks. It talks more about the history of the animals, the care they provide, and they idea behind Believe. Tillikum did swim in the tank during the dining part, but there wasn't much trainer activity going on.

It also doesn't take anything special to get a picture like that with Tilly in the background. Just head over to the viewing area, and have the proper settings on your camera. That's most peoples fault while taking pictures. A camera is not meant to be set to auto.

i wasn't trying to start anything with anyone - i was asking about the dine with shaum photo op.

what will happen if i disagree with a fabrication piece of rubbish about the pros of captivity? will the world end? no. so don't get dramatic about it.

you have partly answered my question - i need the other half clarified.
when seaworld take your picture of one of the whales then you purchase the picture - do they command the whale to swim down into a place in tank where they take your picture?

thanks to anyone will answer this for me.

No one commanded the whales to swim down for pictures in the viewing area?
seaworld.jpg

i wasn't trying to start anything with anyone - i was asking about the dine with shaum photo op.

what will happen if i disagree with a fabrication piece of rubbish about the pros of captivity? will the world end? no. so don't get dramatic about it.

you have partly answered my question - i need the other half clarified.
when seaworld take your picture of one of the whales then you purchase the picture - do they command the whale to swim down into a place in tank where they take your picture?

thanks to anyone will answer this for me.

No, at this time Seaworld does not have photographers taking pictures of people in front of the whales. Nor can you buy a picture of yourself infront of one of the whales. All the pictures you may see now are pictures that people have taken themselves with their personal camera. Sometimes if someone is really lucky, the whale becomes curious with the person standing at the glass and goes over to check them out, which provides a great photo op.

More than one occasion I've seen children waving at the whales, with their whole arms. The whale will get curious and come over to wave it's fin at the child. Some times, if you have a good camera and patience, you can get the picture while they are swimming past.

Even at the Dine with Shamu or Backstage at Believe, they take a picture of you at the entrance, but there's nothing really there in the background to say where you are or what you're doing. It's not like Disney with a backdrop to any picture you take.

thanks for the answers regarding pix with the whales.

not sure what to make of seaworld buying/importing the pilot whale from japan.

they say it is stranded but it in a marine park? it would have got stranded in the first place because of the fisherman driving it to the beach.

so if seaworld, america are buying it - are they involved in the whole cove thing?

are they 'rescuing' the whale or have they done a deal with a marine park in japan to 'capture' it then they buy it from them so it looks like they are 'saving' it?

KBF you half sensible - i am a bit confused on this one - pls help me out here

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/editorial-100921-1.html

In a way, yes, they're helping with "the cove". But at the same time, the life of this whale is in need of rescue.

It's like the people who go rescue puppy mill adult dogs. They can't stop backyard breedings or puppy mills, but they're able to get the dogs in the most dire conditions out of there. These are the dogs too old for producing puppies or have medical conditions that need treatment, or otherwise would be killed by the owner. So there's a group of people that rescue and treat the dogs and try to let them live the rest of their life out peacefully.

The whale has already been captured. I don't know if the medical needs of this whale prevent a release back to the wild, or it could be that it's entire pod was killed off. It seems like whales only like to stick with their families, and outsiders aren't always welcomed.

Once it was caught in Japan, it was given a death sentence. Now you just have to figure out the best possible outcome for it.

Sea World can't take on every animal that's been captured. Look at the amount of shelters that take in dogs and cats every year. They're trying to be the good guys, but get dumped with thousands of animals because others have to be so irresponsible and not think of the consequences of what happens later. And even shelters/rescues only save a handful of animals.

SandraA9810 thank you so much for shering your experience and defending me. I agree they do alot to care for these animals

to tillytrainer.in your signature - there is (i assume) you standing with tilly behind? how does it work?

my husband took that photo and Tilly was hanging out there AFTER a dine with shamu session. No one signaled him over like disneymommy2006 said.

julieannbabe I respect your opinion- but that is your opinion not mine, I like seaworld And alot of members here also like it. The writer of the article is a close friend of mine, she's spent more time around him than i have, she even studied the Orlando orcas for her thesis. seaworld does its best to care and accomodate its animals, their one of the best aquariums in the US. Even aquariums in other countries call on Seaworld for help on things, such as the rescued young orca "Morgan", who is thriving right now in Harderwijk dolfinarium. So being insulting a person based on their experience around these animals compared to a person that im sure has no experience around seaworld.. doesnt not make a point.

Tillikum was taken at a young age, kept in a smaller enclosure than seaworld and abused by the other females in the tank. he in fact was rescued. I know like others you feel they should free him, but there is so much to take into account like age, stress and possibility if he doesn't relearn to survive. He is deemed unreleasable, he's an old orca too, and no one kept records of the pods back then so his pod could be dead or have been brought into captivity. So research can take months/years and then teaching him could take a while also.

Cetacean medicine has advance so much, they learned so much about these animals., wild orca are now threatened because of harm to their environment (pcps and such) and overfishing. Seaworld jumped in to care for animals when the Gulf Oil Spill came through-they rescued more than 100 endangered turtles and 30 dolphins. As for "THE COVE", they even say it themselves- the animals that are taken are placed in aquariums in china and asia.

I know that this board is about visitors that have shared experiences and some that have questions and such about seaworld and their sister parks. I also see that your opposed to things, but if your so anticap, why are you on this board?

Maybe you shouldnt argue with members that support seaworld or focus on seaworld's captivity much. But instead focus on the real issues like pollution and oil spills other things that harm our oceans- overfishing, whaling etc. its not meant as an insult or disrespect or anything just a suggestion.

thanks for the answers regarding pix with the whales.

not sure what to make of seaworld buying/importing the pilot whale from japan.

they say it is stranded but it in a marine park? it would have got stranded in the first place because of the fisherman driving it to the beach.

so if seaworld, america are buying it - are they involved in the whole cove thing?

are they 'rescuing' the whale or have they done a deal with a marine park in japan to 'capture' it then they buy it from them so it looks like they are 'saving' it?

KBF you half sensible - i am a bit confused on this one - pls help me out here

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/editorial-100921-1.html

I think it could go either way. I agree alot with what SandrA9810 said. Is it contributing to the dolphin hunts? Yes probably. But those hunts are for more than just selling dolphins to marine parks, they are primarily for a food source for people in villages. Seaworld is rescuing this dolphin from a poor living condition in the park it currently lives in Japan. It is like rescuing a dog from a puppy mill or a home filled with abuse. Humane societies take the abused dogs in and give them new homes. The abuse will still continue regardless but if you can save 1 dog thats better than saving none. Seaworld is saving this whale from the marine park that is abusing it and they will provide it with a new loving and caring home in Seaworld San Diego.

I think it could go either way. I agree alot with what SandrA9810 said. Is it contributing to the dolphin hunts? Yes probably. But those hunts are for more than just selling dolphins to marine parks, they are primarily for a food source for people in villages. Seaworld is rescuing this dolphin from a poor living condition in the park it currently lives in Japan. It is like rescuing a dog from a puppy mill or a home filled with abuse. Humane societies take the abused dogs in and give them new homes. The abuse will still continue regardless but if you can save 1 dog thats better than saving none. Seaworld is saving this whale from the marine park that is abusing it and they will provide it with a new loving and caring home in Seaworld San Diego.

Beautifully stated!:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter