Time of Year

disneyfireman

Earning My Ears
Hey all, long long time lurker with few posts, but after this past trip to DW in November we as a family decided its time to do Universal. My wife and son LOVE HP. My son just turned 9 and has read all the books, so we need to go.
My main question is what time of year is best? Since both of our kids are school age, I was hoping to do summer but its not set in stone. I have no problem with taking them out of school. With that being said would you veterans recommend:
A. Summer (looks kind of pricey)
B. September
C. Beginning of December
Does attendance drop significantly when school starts, like Disney used to? Or is there no slow time anymore at US, kinda like Disney used to be?

Thanks for any info, as I am in the planning stages, trying to decide where to stay.

I live in northern Georgia and our schools start first week of August

Fall break is then in October

But many states start school much later so hard to say when families do go to Orlando

I used to state mid to last week of September was great for families until hhn started to add weeks to their agenda
That event starts mid September to about November 3 ( depending on dates falling after October 31)

Spring break can go from early March into April so that time period can have some crowds

You listed early December and think that time period would be better than the other two I listed

The only months I have not gone to UO are July and December
So have no personal experience with how crowded the parks can be for those months

I’m sure others will post to give their thoughts in order to guide you

We like the first couple weeks of December. In fact, we leave tomorrow! Got a new AP so next year we'll go about Dec. 1. We love all the Christmas decorations, shows, parades etc. It's also a slower time for our business so we don't get so far behind.

Hi I can help with summer months. I have been going the last several years between the end of June and the beginning of August. I have teens in upper high school years so no more taking out for trips.

The summer months are busy like Disney and other places. However, with Universal if you stay at one of the deluxe and get express pass and early entry it really won't matter then. The express pass is really good and it makes the summer months easy to travel. The parks will overall be more crowded but doable. If you are going to stay in a value with just early entry or off site the summer is a little tough. I would not go that time of year without express pass. I do like it because the parks are open later, the water rides and Volcano Bay are nice to do.

I think September at Universal is about the same as Disney, we use to go then when my DD was younger. I have never been in December so I can't help too much. It sounds like most people who go say it is a good time of year. The only downfall is swimming is up in the air. For us we love resort time and the pools so summer works.

It will be exciting for you and your family to visit now that you have read the books. HP is one of our favorite places to hang out. Happy Planning!

Just got back from our trip dec 1-8 and it was very slow in the parks except for the Friday before our return. I’d highly recommend going early December.

Thanks for all the replies. I like summer because I like use of the pool, my wife wants December but like PP said weather is unpredictable. But I think in the long run we will be going in December.

Late Aug is quieter, many southern schools are back in session by mid Aug. and those starting school after labour day usually want to be home end of Aug to get ready for school opening.
This is the first year I’m going early May. Hope crowds aren’t too bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter