Time to allow for dropping passengers and returning rental car at Port Canaveral

Keyser

DIS Veteran
I think this is an easy question, but can't seem to find an answer in search:

We have an 11:45 PAT (the earliest available when we booked). We'll have a rental car, and the plan is to drop my family at the port, then me go return the car and take the rental place's shuttle to the port.
1) How long does that process (drop-off, return car, take shuttle back) usually take?
2) Should I be dropping THEM off around the PAT, or should I be aiming for me to be back on the shuttle at the PAT?

Thanks!

I think this is an easy question, but can't seem to find an answer in search:

We have an 11:45 PAT (the earliest available when we booked). We'll have a rental car, and the plan is to drop my family at the port, then me go return the car and take the rental place's shuttle to the port.
1) How long does that process (drop-off, return car, take shuttle back) usually take?
2) Should I be dropping THEM off around the PAT, or should I be aiming for me to be back on the shuttle at the PAT?

Thanks!

PAT is Port Arrival Time, so that is when you should arrive at port to drop off your family.

The rental car places are all within about 10 minutes from the terminal. Drop off is usually quick and if the shuttle is ready to go as soon as you drop the car, you would be back with 30 minutes.

you want to check the 'port load' for the day in question .....

some days ONE cruise ship turns around and in this case the rental places are usually no biggie

and other days FOUR are turning and they are all BIG

in this case the rental places can be a ZOO .....

for example on JUN 19 DREAM is alone with her 4000 pass'

while on MAY 27 they are part of a full house with over 14,000

https://www.portcanaveral.com/PortC...s/FY2019/Copy-of-Master-Cruise-Schedule19.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies (and that link). It looks like the day we depart it's an "average" day (Fantasy and 1 other ship of similar size), but the day we get back (when I will be picking up a rental car) is one with over 14,000 passengers!!! So.... I will plan to expect plenty of time to pick up my rental car after we dock!

You may want to at least consider having everyone take the shuttle. I feel like the time factor is very similar - ie, the risk of having to wait for a shuttle to accommodate the entire family vs the rest of your family having to hang out in the terminal while waiting for you.

Two years ago we had a rental car. Family of 4 adults and 2 children. We were dropped off and one returned the car. We had all the luggage. Is was good because he got in the shuttle with another group because he just needed a seat. He was still a hour and a half. We had checked in but they still had to go to the counter for pictures. On the return one got breakfast at the buffet and got off the ship as soon as possible. Rest went to breakfast, gathered everything and left the ship about a hour later. Phone call told us he had the car and was in the line to pick us up. We waited about 20 minutes.

The terminal is exciting while waiting for the driver to return. The characters come out for pictures, the only Disney Cruise pressed penny machine is in the terminal at Port Canaveral .51 each and there are 6 designs. Bring change!! There is a balcony that you can go outside and see the ship.

You may want to at least consider having everyone take the shuttle. I feel like the time factor is very similar - ie, the risk of having to wait for a shuttle to accommodate the entire family vs the rest of your family having to hang out in the terminal while waiting for you.

The terminal is exciting while waiting for the driver to return. The characters come out for pictures, the only Disney Cruise pressed penny machine is in the terminal at Port Canaveral .51 each and there are 6 designs. Bring change!! There is a balcony that you can go outside and see the ship.

I agree the total time is about the same either way, but for me, it comes down to this: would your family rather be in terminal, or at the rental agency? And likewise, would you rather be waiting at the agency alone or with them?

For me and mine, they preferred to be at the terminal, and I preferred to be at the agency alone on the way there. After the cruise, we all went to the rental car place together so that once I got the car, we could head right out instead of me driving back to the port. Even then though we ended up splitting up. We were in the line at the port for the shuttle to the car rental, and I could see that our whole family wouldn't fit on the bus. So I moved to the front of our group and when they called out "room for one more" I put my hand up. I got on the shuttle before my family, and thus by the time they got there on the next shuttle, I was halfway through the line to rent our car. That saved us a lot of time compared to if I had stayed with them to wait for the next one. Of course, it depends on the makeup of your group and the ages of your kids, etc.

I dropped my family off at the port at 9:30. It took about a hour to gas up car, drop off car, then return in the shuttle.

I joined my waiting family in line at the port and waited another 30-60 minutes before being let into the port. We were boarding group 5. After boarding the ship, we had to wait another 15 minute before the dining room was opened.

-Paul

I agree the total time is about the same either way, but for me, it comes down to this: would your family rather be in terminal, or at the rental agency? And likewise, would you rather be waiting at the agency alone or with them?

For me and mine, they preferred to be at the terminal, and I preferred to be at the agency alone on the way there. After the cruise, we all went to the rental car place together so that once I got the car, we could head right out instead of me driving back to the port. Even then though we ended up splitting up. We were in the line at the port for the shuttle to the car rental, and I could see that our whole family wouldn't fit on the bus. So I moved to the front of our group and when they called out "room for one more" I put my hand up. I got on the shuttle before my family, and thus by the time they got there on the next shuttle, I was halfway through the line to rent our car. That saved us a lot of time compared to if I had stayed with them to wait for the next one. Of course, it depends on the makeup of your group and the ages of your kids, etc.

Do you happen to remember what time you were off the ship waiting for the shuttle? We are trying to decide if we should wait for the shuttle or get an Uber from the port to the rental car place.

Do you happen to remember what time you were off the ship waiting for the shuttle? We are trying to decide if we should wait for the shuttle or get an Uber from the port to the rental car place.

It was like 8:30 or 9:00. The line for the shuttle wasn't too bad. The line at the rental place was worse, but it is pretty hit or miss depending on the number of ships in port that day and luck of the draw. I'm not sure an Uber would save you much time. Getting off sooner is probably the best way to save time. I can't tell you how early the shuttles start though. The rental agency will know.

The longest waits I've had have been at the airport waiting to rent the car initially. But again, it is hit or miss. I haven't done it enough to know if some Companies usually have longer waits than others, but my observation on any given day seems to be that some are busy and others are empty. Bad luck or different prices, I don't know.

It was like 8:30 or 9:00. The line for the shuttle wasn't too bad. The line at the rental place was worse, but it is pretty hit or miss depending on the number of ships in port that day and luck of the draw. I'm not sure an Uber would save you much time. Getting off sooner is probably the best way to save time. I can't tell you how early the shuttles start though. The rental agency will know.

The longest waits I've had have been at the airport waiting to rent the car initially. But again, it is hit or miss. I haven't done it enough to know if some Companies usually have longer waits than others, but my observation on any given day seems to be that some are busy and others are empty. Bad luck or different prices, I don't know.

Thanks! We plan to do express walk off so I am hoping to be waiting for the rental car shuttle by 7:30. Hopefully it will go quickly.

I used to drop off passengers and then return the car, but for my last three cruises we've decided to stay together and drop off the car, then all take the shuttle.

Last week (Wonder 4-night) we returned the car right at 10am (at National) and our drop off and shuttle trip to the terminal was very quick -- it was not busy at all. We were inside the terminal and checked in by 10:20am. (Oasis of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, and Carnival Liberty were all sailing that day.)

The previous year, we all dropped off the car at 10:45am, and the rental office (National) was jammed. We made it to the terminal quickly, but I felt more stressed. This year's experience getting there early was much more pleasant.

Last edited:
Thanks! We plan to do express walk off so I am hoping to be waiting for the rental car shuttle by 7:30. Hopefully it will go quickly.
I asked the shuttle driver for a recommendation on boarding day and he suggested doing this. We skipped our late seating breakfast and left the ship around 8. We waited a few minutes for a shuttle and then did not have to wait to get a car. It worked out great!

Cruising in August on Fantasy. Planning to drop off family (dw, dd 16, friend 16) and luggage first. Then I'll return the car. Can I walk from 710 Mullet Road back to Disney Terminal? Or is the road for vehicles only?

We rent, but then, as we need the car on both sides of the trip, we just park it. Yes, it's expensive, but our time is worth it. Also, I have so far been able to get some great deals on rentals, so even though it's parked for a week, it's about the same price as renting and returning.

My advice, at least price out keeping the vehicle and parking it. You'll have to watch for deals, but unless you're booking can't be cancelled, what's the difference?

you want to check the 'port load' for the day in question .....

some days ONE cruise ship turns around and in this case the rental places are usually no biggie

and other days FOUR are turning and they are all BIG

in this case the rental places can be a ZOO .....

for example on JUN 19 DREAM is alone with her 4000 pass'

while on MAY 27 they are part of a full house with over 14,000

https://www.portcanaveral.com/PortC...s/FY2019/Copy-of-Master-Cruise-Schedule19.pdf
That's a really cool PDF. Where did you find it and where can the 2019-2020 version be found?

Can I walk from 710 Mullet Road back to Disney Terminal? Or is the road for vehicles only?

The draw bridge to the north side terminals is vehicles only ... no foot paths and security will stop you

The draw bridge to the north side terminals is vehicles only ... no foot paths and security will stop you

Captain BJ
Thanks, It looks like I'll wait for the shuttle back to the port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter