Time to eat at the Plaza?

Vern60

DIS Veteran
We will be staying at the Contemporary this coming August. On our departure day, our flight leaves around 5:40pm. I was really hoping to have a nice lunch at the Plaza in Magic Kingdom before departure but the only available reservation is at 1:20. We are taking Magical express which says typically leaves 3 or even 4 hours prior to flight departure.
Worth the risk or should I make other plans?

As long as you don't need any child car seats:

Show up early for lunch; maybe you'll get lucky and be seated early.

If you miss the bus, just grab an Uber or Lyft to MCO. Or even a Minnie Van, if one's available and you want to pay the extra.

That might be cutting it a bit close, as DME wants you to be ready about 15 minutes prior to their scheduled pick up time, which is usually about 3 hours before your flight's scheduled departure (domestic flights).

Why not reserve the slot currently available for lunch at the Plaza, and then keep checking for an earlier time that may open? To be on the safe side, I wouldn't book lunch there any later than about 12:30.

You can call Magical Express and ask what time your pick up will be.
866-599-0951

Thanks for the advice all. I kind of want to avoid the extra expense of an Uber or taxi, but yeah, time wise it seems right on the edge. shoreward, I did reserve the time for 1:20 and will keep checking back and also good advice to call Magical Express. I will see what they say. If the pick up is around 2:30 I just fear that's too tight figuring an hour or more to eat and probably 15-20 minutes to walk back to Contemporary.
Ha, I'll keep hoping a reservation magically opens up an hour earlier :)

Thanks for the advice all. I kind of want to avoid the extra expense of an Uber or taxi, but yeah, time wise it seems right on the edge. shoreward, I did reserve the time for 1:20 and will keep checking back and also good advice to call Magical Express. I will see what they say. If the pick up is around 2:30 I just fear that's too tight figuring an hour or more to eat and probably 15-20 minutes to walk back to Contemporary.
Ha, I'll keep hoping a reservation magically opens up an hour earlier :)
Don't give up hope on an earlier time. I sometimes have luck checking one and two days prior to the date. There are many people who book ADRs, then cancel right before the minimum cancellation notice of one day.

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement shoreward. I kept at it and just a few minutes ago scored a 12:35 reservation at the Plaza, yay! That should provide enough time to eat without feeling too terribly rushed, at least I hope so :)
And don't get me wrong, not that the Plaza is my absolute favorite restaurant (of course I do like it), but it sounds perfect for our last Magic Kingdom meal, (maybe with ice cream) before walking back to the Contemporary and catching our Magical Express bus. We also scored 3 Fast passes for the morning so timing looks to all be working out now.

As long as you don't need any child car seats:

Show up early for lunch; maybe you'll get lucky and be seated early.

If you miss the bus, just grab an Uber or Lyft to MCO. Or even a Minnie Van, if one's available and you want to pay the extra.

Does Minnie Van go to the airport for the same $25 fee?

We have a tradition of having lunch at the Plaza on departure day. Perfect way to end the trip... a few early morning rides, a yummy meal, a littlest last minute shopping and, of course, one last view of the castle! So glad you got an earlier reservation. Enjoy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!