Timeshare deals

We did one for the Westin Kaanapali last year. It was an amazing way to visit Maui for very little cost. The presentation involved a tour of the property and the accommodations, a one on one presentation of what the timeshare costs and what you get. Then they left us alone to discuss for a bit. When the rep came back we thanked her for her time and politely said that the timing for this large of a purchase wasn't right for us. She thanked us for our time and wished us a pleasant rest of our stay. I was surprised that it was so low key and no pressure.

Where can you find these deals? We have a down day. Might be worth checking in to. I have no problem saying no lol Also, I know many of these have requirements you must meet such as credit score, age, etc.
They require both partners present if married.
Even if they declare a required income and credit scores, they have no way of checking them.
Never, ever, give up you SSN for a credit check. Tell them if things get truly serious, then a credit check could be considered later..........or you might get an outside loan.

but we did tell them we own at DVC, and we had one kid in college with two others behind them and I needed to buy another vehicle at some point, so buying into a vacation was just not in our plans. It was interesting though. I'm curious to see how other people do with this one.
If you've been to a few of these things, you'll figure out that they have a pattern. Here are "the steps" and how to manage each one:

Welcome and eat -- You sit down with the salesperson, and he asks you about yourselves ... what type of jobs do you have? do you have children? He's sizing up your ability to pay /what techniques to use on you -- do you need to hear "They're only young once" or "If you provide a nice place, the kids'll still want to vacation with you" speech? Oh, and eating time doesn't count towards your "required" 90 minutes (or whatever timeframe they've given you). Eat the free food, if you want, but you are adding to your time.

If you're trying to get in and out, say you've just come from a big meal and aren't hungry ... or you have reservations for a big meal in only two hours ... or (if you're playing this quirky) you have strict allergies and only eat what you yourself cook.
Share whatever job /family information you're comfortable with, but it's also fine to say that you'd rather keep it all biz.

Discussion of numbers -- the salesperson will pull out notebooks or charts and show you how you can vacation in a two-bedroom condo for the same /less money than a plain hotel room. This will involve discussing inflation, trading for other properties, etc. At the forefront will be the importance of family /vacationing while the kids are young /commitment to yourself. Oh, and fuzzy math. Very fuzzy math.

If you're trying to get in and out, be VERY EXCITED about this and agree with everything your salesperson says. You already own one timeshare are are 100% convinced they're the best things ever! Or your mom /brother /best friend has convinced you already that this is a great deal ... emphasize how excited you are TO SEE THE CONDOS! The point, of course, is to zip through the math-y part and move yourself ahead to the viewing. When they talk about trading properties, you're not interested -- THIS is your only vacation spot; you'll never trade. Don't worry about talk of yearly assessments, etc. -- they want to downplay those things.

Viewing -- the salesperson will show you to the condo, which will -- obviously -- be quite nice.

It's hard to hurry this portion because it usually involves a walk or a golf-cart ride across the property. You'll see a condo, the pool area, the clubhouse. It's okay to start talking about how your 90-minutes is nearing its end /your show reservations /your appointment to meet up with the kids later ... but, realistically, this part's hard to rush.

My only solid tip for this phase: If you're leaving the property, drive your own car. Do not put yourself at their mercy for a ride back. Explain that you're very embarassed, but you have a little bit of a problem with driving in strange places /in strange cars, and you feel safe with your husband (or you only feel safe when you yourself are behind the wheel). You're sure the salesperson understands quirks, and he will be willing to work with you. You're very happy to follow him in your own car.

The Sale -- You'll go back to the sales hall, and the salesman will present you with numbers and hope you'll pull out your checkbook. This is where you suddenly become confused and don't understand how you went from all those low numbers in the math-y portion of the presentation to these quite large numbers. This is also where you pull out the printed information about how little this timeshare costs on the resale market (resale'll be about 10% of their cost); try RedWeek.com for information. The salesman will say, "Oh, but you want to buy directly from us because we guarantee ___ and/or we give ___ gifts along with the sale." The answer: "You treat some of your customers better than others? I'm not interested in doing business with a company that treats some people like second class citizens." He will say, "Oh, but you've printed off-season costs!" You know this. You prefer to vacation off-season.

The salesman will bring in his boss, the tough-sell closer. He will tell you a secret: They're just about to close out Phase I of the property, and when they open Phase II -- can you believe it? Next week! You came at just the right time! -- the price will increase! Big increase! Maybe 25-30%. A wise person would buy today. Shuffle your papers around. Pull out your highlighter and consider the low-low cost available on the resale market.

They have an answer for everything: You don't have the money? They finance. You need to think about it? This price is good for a week. This one's a bit too expensive? The company also has an entry-level timeshare that costs half as much /only gives you a vacation every two years. Or they have a few spots left at their 10-year old property, which isn't quite as nice, but it's less expensive.

Another approach that will work -- and I personally prefer this one: Explain right up front that you are 100% certain that you will be buying a timeshare. You are SO EXCITED about this ... buying it for yourselves for your 10th anniversary /your own retirement gift ... but it's a big decision, a lot of money, and you owe it to yourself to investigate all your options; therefore, you're going to tour ____, ____ and ____ over the course of the next six months. This happens to be your first appointment. You have print-outs of other timeshares (show them -- whether you have appointments or not); explain again, you are seeking information today, you are NOT buying until you've seen the other two options. Surely the salesman understands that you cannot buy until you've also seen Hilton and Wyndham?

No matter what you do, they will call you next week ... and the week after that ... and the next month. They will call you three times (and will keep trying 'til they speak to you three times). Remember, they have invested time and money in you ... I get why they try so hard.

Never be mean to these people -- they're just working their jobs. But also don't allow yourself to be intimidated and certainly don't buy anything you don't actually understand /want pretty badly. Timeshares are easier to buy than to sell.
They require both partners present if married.
Even if they declare a required income and credit scores, they have no way of checking them.
Never, ever, give up you SSN for a credit check. Tell them if things get truly serious, then a credit check could be considered later..........or you might get an outside loan.
Oh no, no, no ... no timeshare should ask you for these things -- not unless you're actually buying. Run away!

If you've been to a few of these things, you'll figure out that they have a pattern. Here are "the steps" and how to manage each one

Isn't the easiest thing to do is show the salesperson that you can buy the same thing they are selling for 90% off of the resale market?

really enjoy reading all your experiences, I have heard from a few people 90 mins turns into hours. We still might do it though it would save us so much. I'm going to keep watching this thread

I have gone to these in the past and set the timer on my watch. At the end of 90 minutes I tell them I'm leaving.

If you've been to a few of these things, you'll figure out that they have a pattern. Here are "the steps" and how to manage each one:

Welcome and eat -- You sit down with the salesperson, and he asks you about yourselves ... what type of jobs do you have? do you have children? He's sizing up your ability to pay /what techniques to use on you -- do you need to hear "They're only young once" or "If you provide a nice place, the kids'll still want to vacation with you" speech? Oh, and eating time doesn't count towards your "required" 90 minutes (or whatever timeframe they've given you). Eat the free food, if you want, but you are adding to your time.

If you're trying to get in and out, say you've just come from a big meal and aren't hungry ... or you have reservations for a big meal in only two hours ... or (if you're playing this quirky) you have strict allergies and only eat what you yourself cook.
Share whatever job /family information you're comfortable with, but it's also fine to say that you'd rather keep it all biz.

Discussion of numbers -- the salesperson will pull out notebooks or charts and show you how you can vacation in a two-bedroom condo for the same /less money than a plain hotel room. This will involve discussing inflation, trading for other properties, etc. At the forefront will be the importance of family /vacationing while the kids are young /commitment to yourself. Oh, and fuzzy math. Very fuzzy math.

If you're trying to get in and out, be VERY EXCITED about this and agree with everything your salesperson says. You already own one timeshare are are 100% convinced they're the best things ever! Or your mom /brother /best friend has convinced you already that this is a great deal ... emphasize how excited you are TO SEE THE CONDOS! The point, of course, is to zip through the math-y part and move yourself ahead to the viewing. When they talk about trading properties, you're not interested -- THIS is your only vacation spot; you'll never trade. Don't worry about talk of yearly assessments, etc. -- they want to downplay those things.

Viewing -- the salesperson will show you to the condo, which will -- obviously -- be quite nice.

It's hard to hurry this portion because it usually involves a walk or a golf-cart ride across the property. You'll see a condo, the pool area, the clubhouse. It's okay to start talking about how your 90-minutes is nearing its end /your show reservations /your appointment to meet up with the kids later ... but, realistically, this part's hard to rush.

My only solid tip for this phase: If you're leaving the property, drive your own car. Do not put yourself at their mercy for a ride back. Explain that you're very embarassed, but you have a little bit of a problem with driving in strange places /in strange cars, and you feel safe with your husband (or you only feel safe when you yourself are behind the wheel). You're sure the salesperson understands quirks, and he will be willing to work with you. You're very happy to follow him in your own car.

The Sale -- You'll go back to the sales hall, and the salesman will present you with numbers and hope you'll pull out your checkbook. This is where you suddenly become confused and don't understand how you went from all those low numbers in the math-y portion of the presentation to these quite large numbers. This is also where you pull out the printed information about how little this timeshare costs on the resale market (resale'll be about 10% of their cost); try RedWeek.com for information. The salesman will say, "Oh, but you want to buy directly from us because we guarantee ___ and/or we give ___ gifts along with the sale." The answer: "You treat some of your customers better than others? I'm not interested in doing business with a company that treats some people like second class citizens." He will say, "Oh, but you've printed off-season costs!" You know this. You prefer to vacation off-season.

The salesman will bring in his boss, the tough-sell closer. He will tell you a secret: They're just about to close out Phase I of the property, and when they open Phase II -- can you believe it? Next week! You came at just the right time! -- the price will increase! Big increase! Maybe 25-30%. A wise person would buy today. Shuffle your papers around. Pull out your highlighter and consider the low-low cost available on the resale market.

They have an answer for everything: You don't have the money? They finance. You need to think about it? This price is good for a week. This one's a bit too expensive? The company also has an entry-level timeshare that costs half as much /only gives you a vacation every two years. Or they have a few spots left at their 10-year old property, which isn't quite as nice, but it's less expensive.

Another approach that will work -- and I personally prefer this one: Explain right up front that you are 100% certain that you will be buying a timeshare. You are SO EXCITED about this ... buying it for yourselves for your 10th anniversary /your own retirement gift ... but it's a big decision, a lot of money, and you owe it to yourself to investigate all your options; therefore, you're going to tour ____, ____ and ____ over the course of the next six months. This happens to be your first appointment. You have print-outs of other timeshares (show them -- whether you have appointments or not); explain again, you are seeking information today, you are NOT buying until you've seen the other two options. Surely the salesman understands that you cannot buy until you've also seen Hilton and Wyndham?

No matter what you do, they will call you next week ... and the week after that ... and the next month. They will call you three times (and will keep trying 'til they speak to you three times). Remember, they have invested time and money in you ... I get why they try so hard.

Never be mean to these people -- they're just working their jobs. But also don't allow yourself to be intimidated and certainly don't buy anything you don't actually understand /want pretty badly. Timeshares are easier to buy than to sell.
Oh no, no, no ... no timeshare should ask you for these things -- not unless you're actually buying. Run away!
You are the most helpful person ever, thanks for your time

Nicely done!

I was told on the phone 2 free tickets or gift card.
But had to do 90 mins with them. Had to have a credit card not a debit card.
( on other sites I see they dont run it just need to see it so it)

I was told on the phone 2 free tickets or gift card.
But had to do 90 mins with them. Had to have a credit card not a debit card.
( on other sites I see they dont run it just need to see it so it)

Ask some questions before u go. Im betn u will still have to pay taxes and a process fee per ticket...when its all said and done, is 90 min of bs worth saving a $100.

Ask some questions before u go. Im betn u will still have to pay taxes and a process fee per ticket...when its all said and done, is 90 min of bs worth saving a $100.

$100? I wouldn't waste 90 minutes of vacation for less than $1000.

Isn't the easiest thing to do is show the salesperson that you can buy the same thing they are selling for 90% off of the resale market?

The easiest thing to do is avoid the presentations.

I own 2 timeshares, both carefully researched and purchased resale, and have never been to a presentation. I've owned for over a decade now - many great trips for low prices - but still don't feel like I have enough vacation time to throw it away going to one of those circuses...

There are some decent timeshares out there (few) and those ones will never be a hard sell nor will they offer you large compensation for going to the presentation. The ones offering hard sells offer big gifts and have little to no value on the resale market and in cases will cost you money to get rid of... However the low value resale ones can have good value for vacations if you research what you are buying and understand how to use it... DVC since this is a Disney board is one of the exceptions and offers low compensation if any at all other than free ice cream to take the tour. In the end however DVC is another timeshare and if Disney become unpopular so will the time share... IMO it is not worth it for a hard sell unless you schedule and extra day of wasted time and angish if you are truly interested in a time share decide on a reputable company such as DVC or .... check out the TUG boards and go for a presentation and get the small gift.

Someone was inquiring earlier about the Sheraton Vistana property. I have owned at the Sheraton Vistana Resort for several years. It is a wonderful place to stay and is close to the Disney property. The villas they are selling now are at the Sheraton Vistana Villages which is on International Drive. Take the tour and then buy on the resale market. As far as I know, I get all the same perks as the people who paid more for the property. They even have sales presentations just for people who already own there (to see if you will buy more.) Since I go every year I feel it is worth my time to get the meal and the $100.

Friend told me if I ever wanted a timeshare get a 2 bedroom somewhere affordable. She trades her 2 bedroom for a 2 bedroom where she wants to go.

Friend told me if I ever wanted a timeshare get a 2 bedroom somewhere affordable. She trades her 2 bedroom for a 2 bedroom where she wants to go.

If ur really considering getn a timeshare, make sure u take plenty time reading through and understanding the terms. They all have so many different rules and layers. Where ever u buy will prob be your home resort and alot of these places only allow u 1 week a year, sometimes its 1 week every other year but ur allowed to go other places on ur off years, once u buy they usually show some other really nice add-on's for cheaper that u almost have to buy since u already invested in tve main timeshare, u will absolutely have to pay a annually service fee anywhere from $500 to $1500 depending on ur package deal. Personally, i can rent 1 week at a very nice resort for less or the same price of what ur goin pay in fees every year so i personally wouldn't buy into a timeshare. Even if your yearly fee is cheaper than u can rent yourself and say u can save $200 week with timeshare, after u consider the $1,000's u paid, it could take u 20yr to ever break even depending how much u pay for it and thats if u use it every year, if u miss a year u still pay fees and now ur goin backwards. Keep doin your research and getn opinions from others on here but def keep in mind how much ur yearly fee will be and how long its goin take before u actually start saving money, if ever.

my uncle ended up buying into a timeshare, its called WestGate and his home resort is in orlando florida. I think he paid like $7,500 for the initial package but then had to pay more so his friends and family could use it. Then he had pay more to get the cruises and the weekend getaway added. Then his annual fee started at $750 a year but could go up after 2 years but he could pay a little extra now and lock in the $750 for life of package. He gets 1 week a year and still has to pay like $200 for certain fees when he uses the 1 week so hes basically payn $1000 year for 1 week and he only gets the 1 week in orlando every other year, the other years he has options to go to other westgate resorts in different states. Considering that along with the $10k he paid for the entire package with all the extras, i cant see how he will ever get his money worth. Paid 10k and 1k yearly after 20yr hes goin have 30k invested...even if the timeshare saved him $1000 for that week, he still would save 10k but renting himself. Just my opinion

My parents bought into Westgate too. Their home resort is Branson, MO. A place I have no interest in going there twice. My Mom likes to bring up that they can use the property in Orlando, but didn't offer it to us to use for our 12/19 trip (which is fine, just funny). We have done a big family vacation with both sets of parents. We won't ever do that again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter