TimTracker posts video showing Disney Springs "social distancing"

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
Video on YouTube: I went to Disney Springs...

The video shows some of the social distancing protocols that have been put in place. It's weird to see Disney Springs *so* empty.

°O° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Also, for those of you who are long time fans of the family, I know you join them in grieving the loss of their beloved "baby Bean", aka Bandit, who passed away on May 18. Our family has made a donation to our local Humane Society in Bandit's honor, as he was a shelter puppy prior to being adopted by Tim & Jen.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Thank you, mamabunny.

Video on YouTube: I went to Disney Springs...

The video shows some of the social distancing protocols that have been put in place. It's weird to see Disney Springs *so* empty.

°O° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Also, for those of you who are long time fans of the family, I know you join them in grieving the loss of their beloved "baby Bean", aka Bandit, who passed away on May 18. Our family has made a donation to our local Humane Society in Bandit's honor, as he was a shelter puppy prior to being adopted by Tim & Jen.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

No info on whether there will be exceptions for the required mask usage, which is a big bone of contention on the boards. Wonder what leeway CM have once inside to enforce all policies as well.

No info on whether there will be exceptions for the required mask usage, which is a big bone of contention on the boards. Wonder what leeway CM have once inside to enforce all policies as well.

I hope they can somehow monitor and enforce it without any issues. I watched a live Shanghai Disneyland vlog recently where the guests weren't practicing social distancing, wearing their masks down below their chin or not at all. It only took a few days before people started letting down their guard :(

Hi, Mrsjvb.

They do require you wear a mask to enter Disney Springs except for less than 3-year old and less children.

And if you don't have a mask, Disney said you can't enter Disney Springs.

So at this time, I guess they won't have places to buy a mask outside the entrance to Disney Springs.

Maybe over time, someone might report accommodations for those that can't wear masks.

Masks and Face Coverings
What if I don’t want to wear a mask?

Given this unprecedented situation, we appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding as we navigate these challenges as responsibly as we can. With our robust measures in place, we believe a key factor in our success in reopening Disney Springs will be our Guests’ acceptance and adherence to our new protocols. Guests without masks will not be allowed entry to Disney Springs.

Last edited:

All reports from today say that having a mask is 100% required with no exceptions (unless under the age of 3), they have been extremely strict on this.
Yes, but I haven't seen any reports that indicate whether there are any physical medical exceptions. I've seen a lot confirming that "I don't want to" or "I'm not sick" are not good enough reasons, nor are "it's hot" or "they make me uncomfortable," but something like COPD or asthma is a different reason to be unable to wear a mask and I haven't seen what CM response to that type of concern has been yet. If you have, please let me know!

Yes, but I haven't seen any reports that indicate whether there are any physical medical exceptions. I've seen a lot confirming that "I don't want to" or "I'm not sick" are not good enough reasons, nor are "it's hot" or "they make me uncomfortable," but something like COPD or asthma is a different reason to be unable to wear a mask and I haven't seen what CM response to that type of concern has been yet. If you have, please let me know!

I'm wondering - and BIG GIANT DISCLAIMER: THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION - if face shields will be an option for those with repiratory issues? I presume the only way we will find out is if someone presents themselves at WDW with a medical-grade face shield.

Having said that, I do have a friend who suffers terribly from COPD, and his daughter custom-made him masks that have a bigger area in front of the nose and mouth (it's hard to describe, but there is a LOT of fabric right there in front, and it looks weird and kind of baggy) and he reports that it made a huge difference; apparently just having the extra space inside the mask (or the extra fabric around the extra space? not sure how to word that!) helps the air filter through at a rate that is better for him, and leads to less gasping. His COPD is not well-controlled (sadly) and he is sometimes his own worst enemy, hence his daughter's attempts to keep him as safe as she can. So far, so good.

Currently, here where I live, we are very humid and rainy - more so than usual for this time of year - and what I have noticed is that different types of fabrics will perform quite differently in hot and humid conditions than they will in cooler, drier air-conditioned indoor air. Outdoors, I would want to have fabrics that can wick away humidity and moisture quickly while still providing the best possible filtration.

This website has been actually scientifically testing different fabrics to see how well they work, and what the best (and most readily available) options seem to be. It's fascinating reading, even if you aren't looking for specific fabric recommendations, but might be very helpful to someone who was crafting masks for those with respiratory issues.

I would hope that someone with COPD or asthma wouldn’t be at Disney Springs at this point, as they are considered high risk.

I would hope that someone with COPD or asthma wouldn’t be at Disney Springs at this point, as they are considered high risk.
Fair enough, though I have seen enough people asking very specific health-related questions on this Boards to know that just because someone probably shouldn't risk their health to go to Disney doesn't mean that they won't. I remember one in particular who was severely immunocompromised and did not take too kindly to the gentle suggestion that a Disney trip might not be a good idea for them at that point in time. I suppose you're probably right, that the Venn diagram of people for whom there is a physical breathing issue with masks (not anxiety or touch sensitivity) and people who are high-risk and shouldn't be at Disney during the pandemic is very close to a circle.

Hi, Mrsjvb.

They do require you wear a mask to enter Disney Springs except for 3-year old and less children.

And if you don't have a mask, Disney said you can't enter Disney Springs.

So at this time, I guess they won't have places to buy a mask outside the entrance to Disney Springs.

Maybe over time, someone might report accommodations for those that can't wear masks.

I heard that last night, there were many people showing up at Disney Springs who refused to wear the required mask. Unfortunately, I fear that doing this may encourage Disney to delay the openings of the theme parks, if they're going to require masks there too. Either open the parks and require masks in June, July, and August, for example, or just wait and open the parks in September, and don't require masks. That way they don't have to deal with the hassle of people who won't wear them. I know there are people who wouldn't mind, they don't want to go to Disney if masks are required, but some do.

I heard that last night, there were many people showing up at Disney Springs who refused to wear the required mask. Unfortunately, I fear that doing this may encourage Disney to delay the openings of the theme parks, if they're going to require masks there too. Either open the parks and require masks in June, July, and August, for example, or just wait and open the parks in September, and don't require masks. That way they don't have to deal with the hassle of people who won't wear them. I know there are people who wouldn't mind, they don't want to go to Disney if masks are required, but some do.

That’s weird, every single report I’ve read has said that people have been highly compliant.

Hi, mamabunny.

I'm so sorry about your friend.

And thank you for the link and info.

I'm wondering - and BIG GIANT DISCLAIMER: THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION - if face shields will be an option for those with repiratory issues? I presume the only way we will find out is if someone presents themselves at WDW with a medical-grade face shield.

Having said that, I do have a friend who suffers terribly from COPD, and his daughter custom-made him masks that have a bigger area in front of the nose and mouth (it's hard to describe, but there is a LOT of fabric right there in front, and it looks weird and kind of baggy) and he reports that it made a huge difference; apparently just having the extra space inside the mask (or the extra fabric around the extra space? not sure how to word that!) helps the air filter through at a rate that is better for him, and leads to less gasping. His COPD is not well-controlled (sadly) and he is sometimes his own worst enemy, hence his daughter's attempts to keep him as safe as she can. So far, so good.

Currently, here where I live, we are very humid and rainy - more so than usual for this time of year - and what I have noticed is that different types of fabrics will perform quite differently in hot and humid conditions than they will in cooler, drier air-conditioned indoor air. Outdoors, I would want to have fabrics that can wick away humidity and moisture quickly while still providing the best possible filtration.

This website has been actually scientifically testing different fabrics to see how well they work, and what the best (and most readily available) options seem to be. It's fascinating reading, even if you aren't looking for specific fabric recommendations, but might be very helpful to someone who was crafting masks for those with respiratory issues.

Hi, fabfemmeboy.

I think that you may be correct. I just hope that scientists can get a better understanding of this virus as far as mutations, symptoms for each mutation, the true length of time before the infected people actually symptoms show.

So much info and changes since the beginning.

Plus my heart and soul go out to all of the millions and millions that no longer have a paycheck and the fear they must be worried about for their children, family, friends, and themselves.

Fair enough, though I have seen enough people asking very specific health-related questions on this Boards to know that just because someone probably shouldn't risk their health to go to Disney doesn't mean that they won't. I remember one in particular who was severely immunocompromised and did not take too kindly to the gentle suggestion that a Disney trip might not be a good idea for them at that point in time. I suppose you're probably right, that the Venn diagram of people for whom there is a physical breathing issue with masks (not anxiety or touch sensitivity) and people who are high-risk and shouldn't be at Disney during the pandemic is very close to a circle.

I so hope you're right, and the report I read wasn't.

Me too!

All I have heard (from a reasonably reliable source) is that it was kind of startling how quickly people showed up, and how *many* wanted to get in.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised; it seems like a huge step towards a return to "normal" (and once again, let's all remember: Say it with me now! that Normal Is Just A Setting On The Washing Machine and *nothing* more!) and like so many others, just knowing that Disney Springs is open again somehow makes me feel better, even if I can't be there.

The irony is, if I *could* be there... I wouldn't. I'm not ready yet - I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder at the height of the pandemic, and my life has been turned upside down. Looking back, it shouldn't have been a surprise at all, but as the symptoms accumulated over the course of many, many years - and doctors missed crucial markers time and time again, my own denial became profound.

The good news is, I finally have an explanation for a lifetime of mysteries, and I have a diagnosis.

The bad news is, now I'm scared to go anywhere! 🤣

Even if WDW fully reopened tomorrow, I'm going to approach my next trip with a certain level of caution. I think I will need to see how things work (in general) first - and what the (inevitable) new procedures will be that will hopefully protect us all. I want to go back, so so badly. I miss it - it's my happy place, my respite from pain, and a bright spot on the horizon that I can strive for.

But not just yet.

I have definitely seen some first-hand reports from DS complaining that people aren't wearing masks once they're inside. Evidently several said the key is to "carry a Starbucks cup" because you're allowed to not wear a mask if you're eating or drinking, and no one is really monitoring/patrolling how often a person sips, meaning if you have a drink in your hand while you wander around the CMs aren't stepping in. I have no idea how accurate this is, or rather how representative of customers as a whole, but I hope they find a way to address this loophole in a reasonable way that both protects people and doesn't promote dehydration heading into summer. Some people seem bound and determined to go out and to not wear a mask, to the point where I'm sure at least some selfish folks will be searching for any way to not have the rules apply to them.

I have definitely seen some first-hand reports from DS complaining that people aren't wearing masks once they're inside. Evidently several said the key is to "carry a Starbucks cup" because you're allowed to not wear a mask if you're eating or drinking, and no one is really monitoring/patrolling how often a person sips, meaning if you have a drink in your hand while you wander around the CMs aren't stepping in. I have no idea how accurate this is, or rather how representative of customers as a whole, but I hope they find a way to address this loophole in a reasonable way that both protects people and doesn't promote dehydration heading into summer. Some people seem bound and determined to go out and to not wear a mask, to the point where I'm sure at least some selfish folks will be searching for any way to not have the rules apply to them.

and that is exactly why I have limited my excursions to a few places locally and only for the few hours I can reasonably tolerate wearing my own mask. I don't give a flying fig about your personal rights being violated. I have no idea if you are an asymptomatic carrier or not. if I catch this stupid thing, I will end up intubated most likely. not how I wanna spend my summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!