Tip for storing ECV?

nolenbelledavis

Mouseketeer
This is my first time to rent one. I'm getting it from BV and it should be at the bell stand when I arrive. How much do you tip for them giving it to you? TIA! Also, do you tip them when you drop it off too, at the end?

Tipping is *so* weird, isn't it? It can be tough to figure who to tip, how much and when...

Before I purchased my own personal mobility device that I travel with now, when I would rent an ECV from an outside vendor (like Walker, Buena Vista, etc.) if I happened to be there when it was delivered, I would typically tip $5 - just because even if I could get up in the back of that truck, you would have to pay me more than $5 to get that thing down to the ground LOL

Again, if the driver was there at the return, I would pass him/her $5. It isn't much - really just showing my appreciation for them being on-time and courteous more than anything.

You don't *have* to tip these people - it's not something that I would do ordinarily. But for me, that rental ECV made such a HUGE difference in my ability to enjoy Disney World, that I happily tipped them.

I never tipped when I rented.

Edit to add: My scooter was never left at the bell stand. Walker delivered directly to me.

I have never tipped when renting. Our last few rentals have been from Buena Vista, so we pick it up and drop it off via Bell Services. While I tip Bell services for hauling my luggage around, it never occurred to me to tip for giving me the ECV. IMO, the featured providers pay Disney a fee to be able to use Bell Services, and that is part of the total "package" of the rental. What Disney actually does with that money who knows. But the walk to where they store the ECVs is short, they ride it out to me, and there is a bit of paperwork to process. Not at all the same as hauling a number of suitcases through the resort to/from the room. I also don't tip if I pick up my Amazon Prime Now order myself from Bell services, though I do tip if I have them deliver it to my room.

SW

Whew! Glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't tip when getting my ECV. I'm not a big tipper anyways, but I didn't know if maybe I was being a cheapskate here.

We tip picking up and dropping off. We do $2/scooter. I feel the bell hop is spending time with you. If not waiting on you for the scooter they may be doing luggage or whatever and making tips that way; so, I feel they deserve the small tip.

I will say I could see this going either way.

I haven't always tipped, but I do now - $5 picking up and $5 dropping off. At the Grand Californian in Disneyland last week, I had to practically force the bell person who brought the ECV to take the tip. He didn't expect it since I had another bell person assisting me with luggage to my room (I tipped both of them).

But I agree with others that tipping for ECV's is not mandatory.

Whew! Glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't tip when getting my ECV. I'm not a big tipper anyways, but I didn't know if maybe I was being a cheapskate here.

I don't think you are being a cheapskate at all!

This is one of those things where I feel like (for me) it falls into a grey area; I would never tip the guy from our local medical supply who brought out supplies when we were caring for my Mom full time in our home. I never once tipped the Hospice delivery driver either... I think for me it's just that "I'm at Disney" mindset, and I just automatically tip anyone who provides a service LOL.

I just returned my scooter at the GF yesterday. I gave the young lady who brought it to me upon arrival $5, and the same to the man who came out to the Magic Express bus to retrieve the scooter as I left.

I gave the young lady who brought it to me upon arrival $5, and the same to the man who came out to the Magic Express bus to retrieve the scooter as I left.

Are you saying that when the scooter was left at Bell Services, that they brought it up to your room? In my situation I had to make my way to the bell services desk (no easy feat) and return it to the bell services desk. Perhaps if they'd come to me, I would have considered a tip-like them delivering luggage.

I stayed at the Marriott Grande Vista on my last trip, and had to wait for the bell person to bring my power chair rental all the way to the condo from the front office. Because when I first arrived with my significant other, and our friend. The bell hop had trouble finding the scooter/power chair when we had asked if it had gotten there. They knew what condo we were staying in, so they promised to bring it as soon as they found it. Our condo was way over on the far building. It took forever to get there from the office. They were wonderful in giving me a ride on their golf cart to get over there because I couldn't walk that far with my rollator walker.

I tipped the bell person $5.00 for his trouble of having to drive the power chair all the way over to the condo where we were staying.

Wow. I'm usually the "Oh I always tip" snob, but I never really thought about tipping the ECV delivery. I think if I was face to face with the guy I might feel inclined to palm him a couple bucks. If bell services has to bring it to me, definitely a tip; but not if bell services never leaves the desk area. I don't tip bell services for hailing me a taxi. But I tend to think of an ECV delivery as integral to the rental itself.

Yeah... it doesn't rationalize itself easily either way. Huh. Learn something new about myself every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!