Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining (Updated for 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 questions .... first one is do the servers pool their tips and split it or do they actually keep what they get per table? second, I always leave a tip in our room upon checkout for the maids. Not sure if I was supposed to so I just do. Thanks in advance!

Question of. No idea, sorry.
Question 2. While it's not officially a tipped position, tips are appreciated. It's best, though, if you're going top tip Housekeeping, to leave a tip daily. There's a 1/7 PR 2/7 chance your check out day is your regular Housekeeper's day off, so somebody who never cleaned for you gets tipped instead.

Question of. No idea, sorry.
Question 2. While it's not officially a tipped position, tips are appreciated. It's best, though, if you're going top tip Housekeeping, to leave a tip daily. There's a 1/7 PR 2/7 chance your check out day is your regular Housekeeper's day off, so somebody who never cleaned for you gets tipped instead.
Thank you!

1. Does it matter? (Rhetorical question, the answer is it doesn't matter. Servers do need to tip out other support staff)
2. housekeeping is not in our scope :)

1. Does it matter? (Rhetorical question, the answer is it doesn't matter. Servers do need to tip out other support staff)
I understand question 2 has no relevance on this thread but asked just in case someone knew since it did have to do with tipping .... part one though, in my eyes does matter. Not that I have had bad service at Disney but I have had bad service elsewhere. If I get a server that is busting his/her but to take care of a big section and regardless of mistakes, if they are doing their best, I tip big. For the server to have to share with someone that does half the work isn't fair to him/her. I do believe in tip out to bartenders, hostesses and bus boys. Just not tip sharing. Either way I will tip well for good service or a good effort. Thanks for the reply!

I understand question 2 has no relevance on this thread but asked just in case someone knew since it did have to do with tipping .... part one though, in my eyes does matter. Not that I have had bad service at Disney but I have had bad service elsewhere. If I get a server that is busting his/her but to take care of a big section and regardless of mistakes, if they are doing their best, I tip big. For the server to have to share with someone that does half the work isn't fair to him/her. I do believe in tip out to bartenders, hostesses and bus boys. Just not tip sharing. Either way I will tip well for good service or a good effort. Thanks for the reply!
I don't know the answer but you're asking two different questions. Some places a waiter shares tips with employees who helps him. Food runners, bartenders, busboys. Some places waiters pool all their tips together. Helps if one waiter get a table which, through no fault of his, stiffs him.

Tipping in cash will increase the chances the waiter will receive his share.

So there are 7 in our party and we will have the dining plan. For the gratuity, can someone verify that they can put my inlaws food on one bill (which will amount to only the 18% gratuity on their bill).......and our family of 5 on another bill (with our resulting portion of the 18% gratuity)? Can it be split like that??

So there are 7 in our party and we will have the dining plan. For the gratuity, can someone verify that they can put my inlaws food on one bill (which will amount to only the 18% gratuity on their bill).......and our family of 5 on another bill (with our resulting portion of the 18% gratuity)? Can it be split like that??
Yep.

If on the DDP, does the tip have to go on your room via the magic band? Or could I tip with a gift card?

I too would like to know if anyone is aware of another thread to discuss do guests tip mousekeeping and what do others tip at a buffet? DH and I were ther last week and have had discussions between us and wouldn't like to see what other Disney guests have seen/done. TIA!

Personal tipping habits is not up for discussion. The first post gives reasons why.

Cannot help you with mouse keeping.

Disney believes waiters in a buffet restaurant should be tipped the same as waiters in a full service restaurant. Evidence? The 18% auto tip for larger parties is the same.

I understand discussions regarding the appropriateness of this suggestion/policy isn't appropriate on DIS.

Last edited:
When at Trader Sams, am I expected to tip on the cost of the mug also? The mugs cost as much as the drink (maybe more) doubling the tip amount... I have always tipped on the total including mugs and the other day I ran up a tab over $100 on just a few drinks and leaving such a large tip on just a few drinks made me think of this.
thanks in advance,

Thank you guys :)

Please read first. Post. Personal tipping habits is not a discussion topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!